Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Why is the government not doing anything about this Freedland? the people demand to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jose posted:

unsurprisingly jonathan freedland in yesterdays guardian article about it thinks the letter was right

His name is probably along the lines of Cholmondley, it used to be "Freemanontheland" but it got elided.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Hey Twisto, could you dropbox that UKMY.csv somewhere? I'd like to flex my R muscles.

e: sent a PM.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 9, 2020

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if it's just showing its age but I can't help but feel this is describing a thing that I don't think exists and also drawing absolutely terrible conclusions and suggestions from it.

Yes - going back and re-reading it there's less that's relevant every time. The appeal is identifying [people who are criticising you] as vampires who make their profit in pious denunciations, but denouncing others as social vampires unconcerned with class struggle is itself a pious denunciation. Beyond that, I don't think anyone in the UK or the US could seriously claim that we refuse to talk about class in deference to identities, or are scorning the parliamentary route to power, after our corresponding, largely united old-white-guy electoral campaigns. Owen Jones made it through the gauntlet alive, and we have a handful of more figures like him. The tactics Fisher describes still see use - but as he notes, they were a feature of some parts of the left pre-social-media too.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I really don't understand this £1,000 to employers for bringing back furloughed employees policy.

It's not possibly enough to make it worth any employer retaining staff they were planning to fire. And it's a bunch of no-strings free government money to other firms that keep staff they would have kept anyway.

Is it just blame shifting? The government has done their bit to keep people employed, and every firm that takes the money can be counted in stats as a job the government has 'saved'?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
You guys clearly have never gone down the bottom left twitter rabbit hole and I'm loving jealous of you

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

peanut- posted:

I really don't understand this £1,000 to employers for bringing back furloughed employees policy.

It's not possibly enough to make it worth any employer retaining staff they were planning to fire. And it's a bunch of no-strings free government money to other firms that keep staff they would have kept anyway.

Is it just blame shifting? The government has done their bit to keep people employed, and every firm that takes the money can be counted in stats as a job the government has 'saved'?

That would be in line with pretty much everything else the Govt has done.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

peanut- posted:

Is it just blame shifting?

The answer is always yes.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

peanut- posted:

The only argument that could be possibly made is that if a company was on the verge of having to get rid of an employee for cost this could just tip it over the line towards ‘keep’.

But yeah, not likely.

Of course if you had a load of furloughed employees in say, a pub chain, who you are now bringing back anyway - well that’s just a nice £1000 bonus directly from the government per employee isn’t it. Cheers!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

peanut- posted:

Helicopter money but not for people or anywhere it would make a difference.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Red Oktober posted:

The only argument that could be possibly made is that if a company was on the verge of having to get rid of an employee for cost this could just tip it over the line towards ‘keep’.

But yeah, not likely.

Particularly when you can have a young person work for you for nothing, instead

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its enough money to look like they're doing something and its not their fault but obviously not actually enough money for any company with furloughed employees they can't afford to keep. if it was combined with a proper extension of the furlough scheme it might work better but this is just another way to give money to tory donors

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You could give literally everyone in the UK £1000 and it would do a huge amount more good to the economy than these measures will, without costing much more.
But that would involve giving money to the poor, who don't deserve it, unlike our good friend and political donor Tim Martin

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1281156531069825025?s=20

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

ThomasPaine posted:

You guys clearly have never gone down the bottom left twitter rabbit hole and I'm loving jealous of you

Pretty much every online left group I was in around 2013 collapsed in recriminations, sometimes it was silly, sometimes it was unpleasant. I just don't think that in the end it was as apocalyptic a pattern as Fisher describes: like you say, you have to hunt this stuff out now.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Wow! It feels just like a real stimulus package!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

If there is one good thing to emerge from this mess, it's that that loving hipster cereal cafe has gone under.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

josh04 posted:

Yes - going back and re-reading it there's less that's relevant every time. The appeal is identifying [people who are criticising you] as vampires who make their profit in pious denunciations, but denouncing others as social vampires unconcerned with class struggle is itself a pious denunciation. Beyond that, I don't think anyone in the UK or the US could seriously claim that we refuse to talk about class in deference to identities, or are scorning the parliamentary route to power, after our corresponding, largely united old-white-guy electoral campaigns. Owen Jones made it through the gauntlet alive, and we have a handful of more figures like him. The tactics Fisher describes still see use - but as he notes, they were a feature of some parts of the left pre-social-media too.

I think he's also missing the important point that anger and spite are important expressions of class solidarity. Like there is this idea that people are just doing ti performatively and out of a desire to make the world less enjoyable, but a lot of the motivation behind that approach comes from a very genuine place. It's literally all you have, a lot of the time. You're utterly politically disenfranchised but you can be a part of flexing collective power in specific cases, notably making people cry on twitter.

I think looking at it and saying 1. that it's a bourgeois affectation, 2. that it's not a form of class consciousness, and 3. that everyone needs to stop doing it and act like little marxist robots are all really weird and wrong conclusions to draw. The desire to spit in the eye of people you have genuine reason to dislike and to do it with people you feel a degree of kinship with is entirely natural and unavoidable as long as society keeps making GBS threads on people. Your politics must include room for that or it's going to be the dryest most liberal shite imaginable.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Just posting to test a new av

E: yeeessss

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

There’s a hall of mirrors effect here thanks to the quote-tweets nested four levels deep and it’s really a perfect metaphor for Twitter as a whole

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

who wants to see something deeply cursed?

https://twitter.com/Gordopolitz/status/1281165451620466688?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Camrath posted:

Just posting to test a new av

E: yeeessss

Before you die, you eat the fudge.

Estimated delivery time: 7 days.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

TACD posted:

There’s a hall of mirrors effect here thanks to the quote-tweets nested four levels deep and it’s really a perfect metaphor for Twitter as a whole

fortunately(?) i found the real thing and just lol at this sad old men

https://twitter.com/MatthewdAncona/status/1281004872293376002?s=20

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Fisher's just describing the blowback from trying to articulate an actual class analysis within a heavily neoliberalised and often extremely dismissive individualist 'left' that insists on decentring the unique importance of socioeconomic relationships, and I think it's this frustration that he's mad about rather than being outraged that people argue with each other or focus on 'irrelevant' secondary issues, which often seems to be a bit of a strawman wheeled out by his critics.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol this is going ot end well

https://twitter.com/leicesterliz/status/1280882721972248576?s=20

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I'm not reading all that, can you give some context? who even is this person, how are they relevant to anything

Also I hate unravelling a twitter onion of replies and replies-to-replies. Much like a real onion it's deeply unpleasant

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

OwlFancier posted:

I think he's also missing the important point that anger and spite are important expressions of class solidarity. Like there is this idea that people are just doing ti performatively and out of a desire to make the world less enjoyable, but a lot of the motivation behind that approach comes from a very genuine place. It's literally all you have, a lot of the time. You're utterly politically disenfranchised but you can be a part of flexing collective power in specific cases, notably making people cry on twitter.

I think looking at it and saying 1. that it's a bourgeois affectation, 2. that it's not a form of class consciousness, and 3. that everyone needs to stop doing it and act like little marxist robots are all really weird and wrong conclusions to draw. The desire to spit in the eye of people you have genuine reason to dislike and to do it with people you feel a degree of kinship with is entirely natural and unavoidable as long as society keeps making GBS threads on people. Your politics must include room for that or it's going to be the dryest most liberal shite imaginable.

I think that's uncharitable to Fisher, who was plenty caustic when the moment called for it. He'd by no means have been a friend to the cancel-culture letter shitbags. His worry was people achieving elevated status within left circles by sole virtue of being able to direct this anger in a kind of witch-finder general role, and there certainly were and are people who take that role - that's the 'bourgeois affectation'. I think in the longer view, far more people on the left were interested in being part of Corbynism and the role of professional caller-outer has been picked up by FBPEs and Weetmans. Say whatever else you like about the Novara lot, but they haven't made their rep tending to call-out threads and that's the specific form that Fisher's trying to pick out.

ThomasPaine posted:

Fisher's just describing the blowback from trying to articulate an actual class analysis within a heavily neoliberalised and often extremely dismissive individualist 'left' that insists on decentring the unique importance of socioeconomic relationships, and I think it's this frustration that he's mad about rather than being outraged that people argue with each other or focus on 'irrelevant' secondary issues, which often seems to be a bit of a strawman wheeled out by his critics.

Agreed, but the conversation on this is very different now to where it was in 2013. I don't think there was a significant left movement to get behind Kamala Harris or Pete Buttigieg on an identarian basis, and liberals who suggested it were laughed at.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Ha - so working class artisanal pizza parlour guy's brother is a property developer in Leigh.

https://twitter.com/readonlymike/status/1281156660485120000?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm not reading all that, can you give some context? who even is this person, how are they relevant to anything

Also I hate unravelling a twitter onion of replies and replies-to-replies. Much like a real onion it's deeply unpleasant

i posted the proper one upthread a bit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

josh04 posted:

I think that's uncharitable to Fisher, who was plenty caustic when the moment called for it. He'd by no means have been a friend to the cancel-culture letter shitbags. His worry was people achieving elevated status within left circles by sole virtue of being able to direct this anger in a kind of witch-finder general role, and there certainly were and are people who take that role - that's the 'bourgeois affectation'. I think in the longer view, far more people on the left were interested in being part of Corbynism and the role of professional caller-outer has been picked up by FBPEs and Weetmans. Say whatever else you like about the Novara lot, but they haven't made their rep tending to call-out threads and that's the specific form that Fisher's trying to pick out.

I think that, if it happens, is self resolving. If that's how you make your way you're gonna eat poo poo for it sooner or later. It's not something I would be concerned about.

I also dispute that individuals are able to direct the anger, I think the specific form of anger is inherently directed and to the degree any individual is seemingly "in control" of it is transient, they might point out specific instances but people are inclined to hop on board the cancel train of their own volition because it is something they're already disposed to be angry about.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 9, 2020

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

so lockdown with no financial support? someone i know, who is insane, said this was all a conspiracy by bill gates to kill small businesses but looks like the UK is trying hard to prove him right

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
More incomprehensible gen-x "whither rational discourse" yammering by a white guy with a forehead that must be in on the Brendan O'Neill conspiracy because it goes *right to the top*

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You're utterly politically disenfranchised but you can be a part of flexing collective power in specific cases, notably making people cry on twitter.

According to most studies, the percentage of people who derive enjoyment from making people cry is pretty small. If you are one of the exceptions, you might be overestimating how likely it is to form the basis for a viable political strategy, whether electoral or otherwise.
https://www.pacer.org/bullying/resources/stats.asp

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm sure all those people whining about cancel culture will be upset about this

https://twitter.com/naadirjeewa/status/1281170488673386496?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/s_mmo_/status/1281151156438302721?s=20
https://twitter.com/s_mmo_/status/1281153588035796992?s=20
https://twitter.com/s_mmo_/status/1281156438178619393?s=20

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

After all those media safaris into trump country I immediately knew that there would be something fishy with that guardian article on why “labour” voters in Leigh hate Corbyn

Paper of rceord is certainly is not

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

remember when angela eagles constituency office had a brick thrown through it and it was obviously corbyn supporters?

https://twitter.com/DawnButlerBrent/status/1280815231128780800?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

remember when angela eagles constituency office had a brick thrown through it and it was obviously corbyn supporters?

https://twitter.com/DawnButlerBrent/status/1280815231128780800?s=20

It wasn't even into her office. But yes, no evidence whatsoever that it was Corbyn supporters, and it almost certainly wasn't, as yobbos had been going round bricking local buildings for some time, yet it was big headlines for months and brought up in just about every criticism of 'momentum thugs' for the next few years.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

josh04 posted:

Agreed, but the conversation on this is very different now to where it was in 2013. I don't think there was a significant left movement to get behind Kamala Harris or Pete Buttigieg on an identarian basis, and liberals who suggested it were laughed at.

You absolutely still see the problem he identified in the conflict between more idpol heavy lines of thinking and more traditionally communist approaches. Whereas the latter would see class as a unified conceptual framework by which to analyse a variety of distinct though related forms of exploitation, the former sees it as one source of inequality amongst many, and one that shouldn't assume greater importance than any other.

The latter is clearly the product of the neoliberal turn within political discourse because it problematises any notion of class solidarity in favour of broad mutual support between the subjects of an infinitely atomised variety of oppressions proposed by (well intentioned) intersectional theory. I think the rejection of class struggle as a central analytical pillar is based on a pretty suspect reading of Marxist theory that almost caricaturises the concept by implicitly reducing it to 'flat cap wearing male steelworkers' vs 'mr monopoly', which is kinda laughable.*

That's besides the point though, because you can just argue that it's a sticking point between the Marxist and non-Marxist left. However, both currently attempt to occupy the same radical space at present, and this isn't sustainable. It's seen as a zero-sum game: both groups want to cast themselves as the 'authentic' Correct voice and inheritor of the radical tradition, leading to the appropriation of, for example, Marxist symbolism by people making distinctly un-Marxian arguments. This leads to a sectarian war of ideas which prevents mutually beneficial dialogue and leads to disingenuity and petty dismissiveness. I can guarantee that if you presented even a relatively innocuous class-analysis argument on Twitter today you'd get piles of replies accusing you of class-reductionism.

I read Fisher as essentially pleading for people to engage in good faith with each other, acknowledge that they're not necessarily approaching things from the same angle, and recognise that they both ultimately want a better world so it's dumb to constantly fight and sabotage one another.

* Don't get me wrong, vulgar 'Marxists' like this do exist, and they're idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
just realised i get to renew my visa again this fall

yay.