Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

El_Elegante posted:

What is darkest dungeon like, tonally? It seems so depressing from the trailer and color palette

It embraces the inevitable failure of the eldritch setting and doesn't even pretend that what you're attempting will, at best, delay the horrible end. Your characters will also go through living hell and not come out unscathed, mentally and physically. Just a general feeling of decay, terror, and despair.

I didn't find the gameplay to be as much as a punch in the balls as other folks, and the Radiant mode is really light on the challenge and bullshit, but even when you win, its not really a victory in the world,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I love the tone of Darkest Dungeon but I'll dissent a little and I'll say it's so grim it bends around to being kind of funny, and not in an unintentional or bad way. You find 5 gold in a chest and the narrator booms out "Glittering gold, trinkets and baubles - paid for in blood." -- you win a fight and he mutters "Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer". There's just so much of it and it's so over the top and well-done that at least for me it had me smiling eventually. It's very unrestrained and dramatic

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
That sounds more fun than I had assumed. I feel like few games really nail the “oh, poo poo” factor of seeing everything fall apart in a critical failure.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

hulk hooligan posted:

I was thinking of getting the Beyond Earth collection. When it first came out, I remember there being a lot of vitriol about it, but that seems to have died down. Is the game viewed any more favorably these days? Did it get better with patches and DLC?

It's probably viewed worse nowadays actually.

It has no reason to exist whatsoever. Alpha Centauri is still better and BE brings nothing interesting to the table.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Seconding Iratus being good.

I bounced off Darkest Dungeon but Iratus just clicked for me. Coming up with teams is really fun.

Now if only the second difficulty level would stop kicking my rear end...

And there's still 2 more :negative:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I will point out that Darkest Dungeon has a pretty great modding community.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like how when you purchase one of the Bride of Iratus units, the narrator's like "Ugh, I was young and horny when I made those, don't judge me"

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

pentyne posted:

Before the sale ends, are there any good/great "walking simulators"? I already have Outer Wilds, Firewatch, and Edith Finch.

Observation
Obduction
Eastshade

halokiller fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 9, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Obduction is extremely good by the way. But it's a Myst game. So expect to solve some more or less difficult puzzles and learn an alien numbering system.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
After focusing Katamari Damacy Reroll, I'm now ploughing through Metal Wolf Chaos XD (I always read this as the emote). Man, I'm loving how goofy everything is and developing the weapons I prefer is very nice. You get an SMG and you get an SMG. SMGs for everyone!

And this is after watching this speedrun -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1n0pVxS4sw- three times over the years before they finally made the PC version happen.

Games are good and fun, folks. Unless they're bad and terrible, like Eternity: The Last Unicorn Good thing I don't do curious purchases too often. My next one is going to be this gem: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1146670/Beauty_And_Violence_Valkyries/

I just have to know.

The new, free maps in Hidden Folks for previous owners are worth checking out.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Yami Fenrir posted:

Seconding Iratus being good.

I bounced off Darkest Dungeon but Iratus just clicked for me. Coming up with teams is really fun.

Now if only the second difficulty level would stop kicking my rear end...

And there's still 2 more :negative:

I preferred Iratus to Darkest Dungeon as well. Iratus is mostly very good if you like to theorycraft.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

goferchan posted:

I love the tone of Darkest Dungeon but I'll dissent a little and I'll say it's so grim it bends around to being kind of funny, and not in an unintentional or bad way. You find 5 gold in a chest and the narrator booms out "Glittering gold, trinkets and baubles - paid for in blood." -- you win a fight and he mutters "Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer". There's just so much of it and it's so over the top and well-done that at least for me it had me smiling eventually. It's very unrestrained and dramatic
I think it's honestly supposed to be. It's not drama, it's melodrama. The Ancestor chews the scenery with a relish that is amazing.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
possibly dumb question: how does the $6 discount work? Is it "6 dollars off, once per this entire sale", "once per order", or once ever $35 or whatever?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Acerbatus posted:

possibly dumb question: how does the $6 discount work? Is it "6 dollars off, once per this entire sale", "once per order", or once ever $35 or whatever?
From what people said a few pages ago, it was "one this sale for a single order with a total of over 35$."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

From what people said a few pages ago, it was "one this sale for a single order with a total of over 35$."

It’s this. I miss last summer where you could spend points on 5 dollar discounts.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m a couple hours into rear end Creed Brotherhood and I’m having fun. It’s not breaking any new ground from rear end Creed 2, just more of the same with little tweaks here and there. I’m guessing that’s how all the games are up till Origins? The modern day stuff is a bit more interesting this time, I like how they set up shop in Ezio’s basement in the villa. The glyph puzzles are back and just as dumb as ever. Maybe the video I unlock is more interesting than the naked people from 2, but we’ll see. (I won’t hold my breath...). I give each puzzle about 5-10 minutes then just google the solution cause I ain’t got time for that poo poo. Still having fun though, good game. Love the setting in Rome, it’s fun as hell just to walk around the history.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Darn, thanks though. I've got around $200 of games I want to get so it's not a ton but I'll still take $6.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s this. I miss last summer where you could spend points on 5 dollar discounts.

yeah I was kinda hoping for something like that. least it means I only need to buy one cart!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Assuming I'm only in the mood for one retro throwback FPS, which should I go for between Amid Evil and Dusk?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

Darn, thanks though. I've got around $200 of games I want to get so it's not a ton but I'll still take $6.
Little personal tip: make sure you check the store pages of each game for bundles which might have additional discounts. I bought a 1.98$ game for 1.78$ yesterday because it was bundled with a game I already own and I got an extra ten percent off on top of the 80% off that it already had. Sure, it's just 20 cents, but depending on what you're interested in, this might add up quickly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Infinity Gaia posted:

Assuming I'm only in the mood for one retro throwback FPS, which should I go for between Amid Evil and Dusk?
I'd go with Amid Evil but they're both great choices.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m a couple hours into rear end Creed Brotherhood and I’m having fun. It’s not breaking any new ground from rear end Creed 2, just more of the same with little tweaks here and there. I’m guessing that’s how all the games are up till Origins? The modern day stuff is a bit more interesting this time, I like how they set up shop in Ezio’s basement in the villa. The glyph puzzles are back and just as dumb as ever. Maybe the video I unlock is more interesting than the naked people from 2, but we’ll see. (I won’t hold my breath...). I give each puzzle about 5-10 minutes then just google the solution cause I ain’t got time for that poo poo. Still having fun though, good game. Love the setting in Rome, it’s fun as hell just to walk around the history.

Yeah, more or less, with varying degrees of Quality (AC3, Unity) and boats (Black Flag, Rogue).

Brotherhood was fun for the "murder this dude, my followers" button.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

explosivo posted:

I'm bad at the game no matter what but I find the keyboard much easier because it's easier for me to get into a groove and remember ingredients by the letters they're associated with. The creator of the game said he exclusively plays with a controller, I tried but started with the keyboard so I couldn't switch. It's kind of up to you!

Grapplejack posted:

As a series vet Keyboard, since you can usually suss out the combos going by the name of the food (cheese is c, avocado is v, chili is h) by muscle memory and familiarity with the stuff. Ingredients usually have the same letter for the same ingredient across all dishes with some rare exceptions so even dishes you're unfamiliar with you can usually get down within a few tries

Thanks for all the opinions. I have this weird broke brain thing with CSD that whatever control method I select I feel like I'm doing it 'wrong' and should pick the other way. I don't know why this is because I rarely feel like that in almost any other game. I'll probably stick with the keyboard. Also, CSD3 is pretty great so far (and I say that as someone who loved CSD1 but didn't care for CSD2).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

At least feel confident that you're not as wrong as me, the person who plays CSD3 with a mouse (and the CTRL key).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I would suggest two videos to pick up the tone of Darkest Dungeon.

The campaign's first little cutscene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvxcWbPQlXE

And youtube/twitch guy Baertaffy coming hilariously unstuck. Note there *are* things he could have done to avoid this, such as running away sooner, but he got flustered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ms_A7mU8U

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Infinity Gaia posted:

At least feel confident that you're not as wrong as me, the person who plays CSD3 with a mouse (and the CTRL key).

:stonk:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

The games change semi-significantly a couple times in terms of gameplay. 4 is the first big leap in what you're doing, having the addition of boats but still having plenty of the traditional walk around stab fellas bit. Unity is a big change in combat and stealth gameplay but I can't in good conscience recommend playing it even so. Syndicate changes a lot of stuff up again, including movement and mission structure and I think is a genuinely good send-off to old style AC.

Ultimately I think you have two options as someone coming to Assassin's Creed this late.

You can go through the good games with the least caveats;
Black Flag, Syndicate, Origins, Odyssey

You can play all of the games that people generally define as Not Complete Garbage but are often argued about where they sit in terms of the series or genuine good;
Revelations, Black Flag, Rogue/Freedom Cry, Syndicate, Origins, Odyssey.

Revelations finishes out Ezio and Altair's stories and I think is way better than a lot of people give it credit for. A lot of people started experiencing series fatigue with it and it admittedly does have some utterly unnecessary bits but middle aged Ezio is a lot of fun as a character.

Black Flag is good. Edward is a good PC, the Assassins/Templar stuff takes a sort of back seat for the first time and you get a lot of time playing golden era pirate nonsense and having fun with boats. It also has just a supreme, insane overabundance of tightly, annoyingly tuned tailing missions that while they ultimately don't really detract from the game, still stick in my craw to this day. The counter combat makes its last outing here and is the smoothest it's ever been.

Rogue is More Black Flag. Freedom Cry is also More Black Flag. Freedom Cry is significantly shorter but I think features the superior character of Adewale, Kenway's first mate from Black Flag. Rogue is a more full-sized game but doesn't really make any drastic changes from Black Flag while also having the second whiniest character in the series.

Syndicate is my favorite Assassin's Creed game that I will probably never be able to finish. Even I was feeling burnout after a decade of AC and trying to play the game again after dropping it half way through always brings that burnout back in full force. That said if you take an abbreviated course through the series, the combat is flashy and smooth, the dual protags are a ton of fun and the map is one of the best in the run.

Odyssey and Origin mark a massive departure from the old style AC games. Fully open world, RPG loot and level systems, more active combat with skills and dodging. They're called budget Witcher 3's a lot and that holds up but it also sells them a bit short. They're a ton of fun, with the two best PCs in the entire series for my money, even above Ezio. I'd say don't play both of them right off, especially if you continue to pursue the series as a whole. Pick the one with the setting you like more and go from there.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, more or less, with varying degrees of Quality (AC3, Unity) and boats (Black Flag, Rogue).

Brotherhood was fun for the "murder this dude, my followers" button.

Oh that sounds like fun, haven’t gotten that far yet. The next game is Revelations right? It’s supposed to wrap up the Desmond story and is kinda the weakest game so far? Might take a break from rear end Creed after that and play through some of the Far Cry franchise that I also bought during the sale.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 9, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh that sounds like fun, haven’t gotten that far yet. The next game is Revelations right? It’s shouting wrap up the Desmond story and is kinda the weakest game so far? Might take a break from rear end Creed after that and play through some of the Far Cry franchise that I also bought during the sale.
Yes, Revelations is Old Man Ezio in Turkey.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I bought them all on the sale and for better or worse I’m going to play through them all. But like I said I may take a break after Revelations.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 9, 2020

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Orv posted:

Revelations finishes out Ezio and Altair's stories and I think is way better than a lot of people give it credit for. A lot of people started experiencing series fatigue with it and it admittedly does have some utterly unnecessary bits but middle aged Ezio is a lot of fun as a character.

Revelations suffers from gimmick overload, at that point in series in addition to your sword and hidden blade you have a hammer, crossbow, a gun, poison darts with different effects, multiple types of bombs and summoned henchmen.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m a couple hours into rear end Creed Brotherhood and I’m having fun.
Jesus. I mean, as long as you're having fun, but still. I had to restrict myself to 1 AC per year (and get used to never catching up) to avoid serious burnout.

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh that sounds like fun, haven’t gotten that far yet. The next game is Revelations right? It’s supposed to wrap up the Desmond story and is kinda the weakest game so far?
AC3 wraps up Desmond's story - you can straight up ignore it in Revelations, which is... an unnecessary game? But having played Unity and Syndicate, I have different standards for unnecessary in AC titles.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 9, 2020

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I bought them all on the sale and for better or worse I’m going to play through them all. But like I said I may take a break after Revelations.
Once you've played Revelations, go look up Assassins Creed: Embers on YouTube. Its a 20 minute movie that depicts Ezio in the final days of his life and its quite lovely.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Grandpa Ezio sounds like he needs to go have a beer with grandpa Solid Snake.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Revelations suffers from gimmick overload, at that point in series in addition to your sword and hidden blade you have a hammer, crossbow, a gun, poison darts with different effects, multiple types of bombs and summoned henchmen.
Also that tower defense minigame, although you only have to ever play it once.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Also that tower defense minigame, although you only have to ever play it once.

Lol that just reeks of some Ubisoft executive meddling in the game a month before release. “My kid likes tower defense games, cram that poo poo in now!”

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
I like revelations, but it's absolutely more of the same, and people got real sequel fatigue after ac2 and brotherhood.

But I guess my interest is partially due to viewing AC as a "run around in cool historical architecture" franchise, and Constantinople is wayy better than AC3 and 4.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Lol that just reeks of some Ubisoft executive meddling in the game a month before release. “My kid likes tower defense games, cram that poo poo in now!”
Yeah, I think the genre had just started to be a big thing back then. FWIW, the minigame isn't pulled off badly. All your towers are actually groups off Turkish assassins that you place on rooftops and you get to make them throw some neat bombs all.

I think I will replay that game. I never got far into it and I am not nearly as tired of AC gameplay as I was back when the game was new.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 9, 2020

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bought a ton of games, time to spend the next couple of weeks refunding ones I got on impulse and play for 20 minutes before deciding I hate them, never playing the ones I would definitely like, and then wishing I'd bought other stuff! :toot:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You can slide your mouse through any recipe without variation really fast! Which means I'm really good at making lovely recipes and really bad at making the actually difficult stuff! It's terrible and I don't know why I play this way but I'm too used to it to change now!