Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/petertimmins3/status/1281110563142152193?s=20

This seems cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked!

I would be much more surprised if this hadn't been the case.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Boots and John Lewis just announced big job cuts so I'm assuming that they were hoping for better news yesterday

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The hand written table is just bizarre. Surely its more difficult to track national pandemic testing with pen and paper than even with Notepad or something.

It's a long article and worth a read.

quote:

"It was a risk," says one senior source.

"We bet on red. And it came up black. The Germans were lucky. They had lots of machines lying around and a system in place. We had next to nothing.

"This country's pharmaceutical industry has a real advantage when it comes to 'high science' - blockbuster drug development, biotech and so on - the sexy stuff. But we're far less focused on the unsexy end: diagnostics, where we tend to buy the kit in from abroad.

"That was a massive problem. Many of the NHS pathology labs are effectively cottage industries, cooking up tests by the day. They weren't equipped for what was coming their way."

lol

quote:

That target was the second fateful decision: from that point most of the focus in Whitehall was on hitting 100,000 as quickly as possible.

In the face of the unprecedented outbreak, less thought and time than usual was given to putting in place the systems and safeguards that would ensure test results could be robustly reported and tabulated into the data that would help inform Britain's response to COVID-19.

Quantity trumped quality.

yeah who cares if the tests are accurate, we just need to do lots of them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC3W1BiUjp0

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/starmer-backlash-compulsory-racial-bias-training-498977

quote:

Keir Starmer facing a backlash over compulsory bias training that turns out to be a 20-minute online course
The party said it would be working to ‘develop a range of further training material’ but the initial course has been dismissed as ‘pitiful’

etc

But last October in Brighton: 3 hour training sessions were held.

https://events.labour.org.uk/event/282683

quote:

Training events on unconscious bias will be taking place on Thursday 17 October and Wednesday 23 October from 6pm - 9pm at the Friends’ Meeting House, Ship Street, Brighton BN1 1AF. This important training is being run twice to allow for the maximum possible take-up, so please do attend one of these sessions if you can. (The second session is on 23 October.)

These workshops are open to all Pavilion Labour members, as well as to interested members from other Labour Parties. All branch and CLP officers or representatives, in particular, are urged to attend, as is any Labour member wishing to become a Party officer or public representative.

So I know obviously that training would have to be online but having sat through a many-hours online workshop with online 'breakout rooms' etc just a couple of weeks ago, it is possible to have a pretty good online training session not just watch a video of 20 minutes.

Are Brighton CLP (I don't know if 'Pavilion' is a CLP or Branch) still personas non grata in the Labour party?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Lionel Hutz in reverse: "Destroy the economy? No, fiscal stimulus!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's so poo poo

https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1281189716969369600?s=20

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

yes, the UK desperately needs a right wing equivalent of the Lib Dems.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Over the last few pages here I think everyone posting about the £1k bonus has also said it’s poo poo. So do you want to expand on your thinking at all?
Apols if I’ve skimmed over and missed anyone actually saying it was good

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Cerv posted:

Over the last few pages here I think everyone posting about the £1k bonus has also said it’s poo poo. So do you want to expand on your thinking at all?
Apols if I’ve skimmed over and missed anyone actually saying it was good

I think the objection is to the "government can't afford it" part

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
We must foster open and liberal debate by expunging leftists from academia

https://twitter.com/jdportes/status/1281164551778639872

It's funny but it's also absolutely what all these "cancel culture is a blight" people really mean.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bobstar posted:

yeah its this

https://twitter.com/jdportes/status/1281126904322457602?s=20

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Also, lol at the idea that this stuff comes from university professors.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The sensible grownups are here to tell you that that the coalition were right, government spending is just like a household budget. Never mind the national credit card, we've just taken out a national second mortgage, it's going to be rough I tells ya!

Doesn't bode well for when Sunak announces austerity 2 - thisa time it'sa personal.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/themattwain/status/1281177745779838976

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Hey Jose, how do you keep everything in order and not post the same tweets here and in cspam?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

New request: can we get a graph showing number of twitter links posted over time

I feel like we're reaching an asymptote

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've been reading Barbara Tuchman's The March of Folly, where she examines various historical periods where societies of the time stubbornly maintained certain policies and directions despite it being abundantly clear even then that they would lead to disaster and boy, can I relate to it.

is that fear of radical change necessary to avert calamity or something?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

Hey Jose, how do you keep everything in order and not post the same tweets here and in cspam?

i post some stuff in here and there but like this on poo poo labour internal politics stuff fits here due to all the former and wavering labour members

https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1281175217730195462?s=20

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Bobstar posted:

oh right yeah

quote:

“The chancellor has admitted there is a dead weight in his package – we can’t afford dead weight, we need the money to go where it is absolutely needed most and that’s those jobs that won’t be retained if the Government doesn’t support them.”
but he's saying the money should be spent elsewhere in better targeted interventions. not that less money should be spent.
same way you'd say "can't afford" to waste time.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I missed this story.

Melania's statue got burned down in slovenia on july the 4th. It reminds me of that spanish woman repainting jesus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53343671

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Marxists! Idpol! Postmodernism! Liberals! These are all the same thing! I am very smart!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

justcola posted:

yes, the UK desperately needs a right wing equivalent of the Lib Dems.

The Lib Dems are the right wing equivalent of the Lib Dems.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Comrade Fakename posted:

Also, lol at the idea that this stuff comes from university professors.

To the far right, empathy for other people different to you might as well be a superpower, and to the authoritarians, the idea that a generation of kids would develop it spontaneously is impossible. It MUST be a brainwashing plot, enacted by the professors. Triple parentheses on "professors" if they're really showing their whole rear end.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Marxists! Idpol! Postmodernism! Liberals! These are all the same thing! I am very smart!
Post modern neo Marxists.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
been a while since we checked in with our good friend the FT covid graph, let's see ho--

aaaaaaauuuuuuuuugggggHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Hahaha way to go making the loving UK look good, Trump

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

been a while since we checked in with our good friend the FT covid graph, let's see ho--

Brazil there playing a strong catchup game....

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
So are we double counted into the EU line or what?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

You.. you.. can't just sit there spouting insane garbage during a pandemic :qq:
protein printer go brr :smugdon:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

See look, if we'd stayed in the EU it would have been much worse!

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
How the hell are Boots justifying job losses? They’ve been one of the few places still open selling medication during a pandemic and their shelves were cleaned out as we entered lockdown, probably giving them their biggest sales boom outside Christmas. Urely they didn’t have their business surviving on sandwich sales to office workers?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Incidentally, I love that the Guardian's opinion/ discussion piece on whether 'cancel culture' is censorship didn't allow readers to post comments on it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Alan G posted:

How the hell are Boots justifying job losses? They’ve been one of the few places still open selling medication during a pandemic and their shelves were cleaned out as we entered lockdown, probably giving them their biggest sales boom outside Christmas. Urely they didn’t have their business surviving on sandwich sales to office workers?

quote:

The news comes after retail sales plunged 48 per cent during its third quarter because of the coronavirus pandemic, despite Boots keeping swathes of its stores open during lockdown as it was classified as an essential retailer.

The retailer said footfall into Boots stores “dramatically reduced” during the lockdown, and its revenue-driving beauty and fragrance counters were closed.

More than 100 larger Boots stores in city centre, station and airport locations were also closed.

Meanwhile, its opticians business saw sales dive by 72 per cent compared to the same quarter last year as people stayed at home.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Alan G posted:

In the middle of last year Boots announced they were starting a business review that would culminate in closing 200 stores. These are closures that were going to happen anyway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Hey remember the salt-of-the-earth working-class soundbite machine in the Graun?

https://twitter.com/helenpidd/status/1235293783975219202

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

In the middle of last year Boots announced they were starting a business review that would culminate in closing 200 stores. These are closures that were going to happen anyway.

The vast majority of Boots' profits are from food, drink and beauty products, and not many people have been going out of their way to pick up a mediocre sandwich and sunblock at lunchtime.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

peanut- posted:

but not as quickly, and not all in a hurry, and in the meanwhile they would have opened new stores slowly in other places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

New request: can we get a graph showing number of twitter links posted over time

I feel like we're reaching an asymptote

Did this last night but it's imperfect for a couple of reasons (in particular it double-counts if there's more than one embed in a post, and also counts quotes of posts with embeds), but it can give you a flavour: