Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Swiss Cheese is growing like crazy, and loves to look super cute when she's not being an unholy terror and attacking our toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

hiddenriverninja posted:

going to need video proof of this iPad usage :crossarms:

...... I’ll see what I can do.

He mostly does it when I hold the iPad against my chest while I’m sitting in a recliner, and that’s a tough angle to shoot from.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Was it Game for Cats that was available for iPads? I remember something like that from a few years ago...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Don’t know how much longer the forums will be here, but I wanted to say that this is a wonderful thread and I’m thankful for all the nonhuman and human pals who stopped by over the years.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Chili, I don't know if you remember me but you ran a GBS mafia waaaaay back when that I played in. I didn't end up having as spectacular a mafia career as I imagined from how that game went, but I've never forgotten it or you, so I've really enjoyed this thread and hearing that you're doing well. Thank you.

Same to everyone else in this thread, it's such a lovely positive bastion, a good thread to come to after a bad day. Thanks, everyone.

I.M. Gei, you're amazing.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
Hey I'm fostering a sorta feral mom cat and 5 four day old babies. She just moved them to a stupid place where it's hard to access for weighing them. Is it ok to go ahead and put them back in my preferred whelping crate and block the weird spot off, or do you think it would be too stressful?

Also is eating kibble, but not wet food. Any tips on getting her to try it? Maybe some water, or heating it up?

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
Our little Shetland foster went to his forever home last week! We've been kinda holding our breath for the last week because we've been anxious about how he would do in a new environment, but it seems like he's settled in well over there. We've been getting adorable status update reports from the retired couple that took him in - they have another, full size Shetland and the two have taken to each other pretty quickly.

It's busy time on the farm right now, but we have another foster who will be coming in another couple weeks. She's apparently 2-3 years old, about 35 lbs and has a much calmer temperament.

We're excited.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Culex posted:

Hey I'm fostering a sorta feral mom cat and 5 four day old babies. She just moved them to a stupid place where it's hard to access for weighing them. Is it ok to go ahead and put them back in my preferred whelping crate and block the weird spot off, or do you think it would be too stressful?

Also is eating kibble, but not wet food. Any tips on getting her to try it? Maybe some water, or heating it up?

Forcing the cat to be in a place the cat does not want to be never ends well. Just try to block off any of the worse places for her to hide her babies for the next time she moves them.

Either or both of those things have been known to encourage a cat to eat wet food. It's worth a shot!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

The folks over at Tiny Kittens will keep the fosters in a room that doesn't have any extra places to hide besides the designated nest, which is an Ikea cabinet with a hole cut in the side for mama to get in and out freely. Then, for weighing, you just open up the doors. Also makes changing out the dirty blankets easy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kenan’s Top 3 Favorite Places to Sleep, in no particular order:

1. On my chest/right shoulder
2. In a laundry basket full of my clean undershirts/underwear/socks
3. On top of my iPad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I. M. Gei posted:

Kenan’s Top 3 Favorite Places to Sleep, in no particular order:

1. On my chest/right shoulder
2. In a laundry basket full of my clean undershirts/underwear/socks
3. On top of my iPad

Odd, the images in your post aren't loading. :confused:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Odd, the images in your post aren't loading. :confused:

I have been a bit negligent with taking pics of them, mostly because they move around so much it’s hard to get a good shot. Also taking good photos of cats in general I think is just tough. Like even when they’re sleeping... somehow they always loving wake up and move before you hit the button! :argh:

I guess these two turned out okay.

I keep looking at that top one and wondering if there’s any legible identifying info on that piece of paper in the upper left. :thunk:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 4, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So it turns out that Kenan is a GIRL

I think I’m gonna keep the name

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Perhaps abbreviated to Kay?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I. M. Gei posted:

taking good photos of cats in general I think is just tough. Like even when they’re sleeping... somehow they always loving wake up and move before you hit the button! :argh:

This is a kitten thing -- they grow out of it.

Great pics though!

Is that a bit of orange on Kenan? They both look like stealth tortoiseshells.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tarbrush posted:

Perhaps abbreviated to Kay?

I think I’m gonna keep it at Kenan, and tell myself that Kenan is/can be a unisex name. Maybe it already is, I dunno. But I’ve been calling her Kenan for so long that changing her name now is kinda tough for me to do. Plus she may have already started to learn Kenan as her name, and I don’t want to gently caress that up.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This is a kitten thing -- they grow out of it.

Great pics though!

Is that a bit of orange on Kenan? They both look like stealth tortoiseshells.

They’re both mostly gray with some trace amounts of calico mottling on them, yes, though Kelly has a bit more of the cal/tortie markings than Kenan. Some of the cats that hang out in our yard have the same coloration (mostly gray with bits of calico/tortie), and several others are either all gray or all/mostly calico, so that’s probably where their parentage comes from.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I. M. Gei posted:

They're from the same litter, right? Funny how she looks so much older.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Aerith got spayed yesterday so she's supposed to be on bed rest for a few days and I took all the high shelves out of their crate but she isn't really cooperating....

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 9, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I don't know why vets tell kitten owners they need to make sure their kitten rests, kittens are not capable of resting and I think it just makes people anxious that they can't make their kitten not jump around and climb poo poo. I guess it's just a case of not encouraging a lot of acrobatic play, kittens are gonna kitten whether they just had surgery or not.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The way I see it if TNR programs are willing to set a spayed stray out in less than 24 hours post op, it's probably okay. Ideally you'd keep them chill as much as possible, but cats gonna cat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The director of the foster group I'm working with was pretty forceful about her not being active so I ended up kind of sealing the top half of the crate off with shelves and a big cardboard box so she can't climb. I don't have a happy kitten right now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

The endless dilemma of bird owners. It took my cousin a few years before they learned that Katniss the cockatiel was a boy.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

I. M. Gei posted:

name is now 'Keen Nan'

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
hey, im reposting a friend's post about trying to find a home for a cat he's fostering but can't keep (his other cat hates new cat)

quote:

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I'm fostering a cat who clearly had a home at some point (she's fixed, litterbox trained, friendly and trusting) that we took in off the street (we've seen her on and off for over a year) - she was emaciated and our younger neighbors who don't know much about animal control called them then freaked out when they realized it was a death sentence for kitty - we want to find a home for her ASAP but these are tough times to home a kitty and we're not getting any bites so I thought I should at least try to fling a light out here? I'll post some pictures later, we're in Orlando but willing to drive a substantial distance to get Flora to a good home.

If this is better placed in a different thread, please don't hesitate to summon mods to move it and/or I can just delete it and repost.

[...]

We have two cats (Toki and Dax) who have struggled to get along with one another and are making progress, however Dax has been doing berserker-fury-fueled full body slams into the sliding glass door while yowling and hissing trying to eliminate Flora (who is in our breezeway, our house is weird). It is my determination as a cat amateur-expert that introducing these cats to one another is a bad plan. There are other factors involved here (my marriage is a fiery zeppelin, I have a toddler, Flora is lovely and sweet but gets snippy if you don't stop to pet her, etc) but the burning Dax-Flora hatred I think is the key element.

[...]

Flora pictures aren't as good because she does not stop moving and she is extremely fast.

She's been to the vet, where they found out she had already been fixed. She's in good shape, litterbox-trained, super friendly, very talkative, is good at opening doors, and craves attention. We are looking for a good home for her and the search isn't going great - we're in Orlando but we can potentially drive her great distances if it means getting her somewhere she'll thrive.

Edit: Also needless to say the pictures don't do her justice she is a pretty kitty

if anyone here is in around orlando thereabouts please PM me and i'll relay it to my friend. if you don't have PMs just reply in this thread, i'll be checking back periodically

thanks for any help you can provide!!!

bonus: pics of his other cats

quote:

Ok, cat picture time. First is Dax:

Dax was hucked out of a moving car into the middle of the road in front of my wife. Dax was a few weeks old and had one eye stuck shut with infection - she's almost 5 years old now, doing swell.

We took Toki in off the streets because she seemed to have an intestinal blockage, which turned out to be 2 kittens (1 pictured - Riker - this pic is from a while ago). Found homes for both kittens and got her fixed. You can't see it here but she's got a little flippy floppy stub tail that she likes to dip in her drinking water while she eats (we're certain its intentional, we have no idea why she does it).

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
It's official, we're going to foster fail again.

Swiss Cheese will be going in for her spay on Monday, so hopefully Tuesday she'll be coming back to us and her forever home, where she'll get the name Ajna. She gets her name because she's almost entirely tabby, except for the one orange spot on her forehead. Since she's been vaccinated and has tested negative for FIV/FLV we've been introducing her to our existing cats, and it's gone really well.

She's learned that our resident grump Odin is pretty chill as long and you respect his personal space, and is making headway in getting our previous foster fail Persephone to play with her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJTV-Zl09Dc

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I'm in orlando but i'm currently at my max capacity with the baby and the rest of the horde but i'll put out some feelers for ya.

Marchegiana posted:

It's official, we're going to foster fail again.

:toot:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So I had to say goodbye to Tifa yesterday. She got adopted!

I still have her 2 sisters. One of them had her spay last week and there is this big gnarly bump by the scar which I haven't seen before. Apparently it might need to get drained this week.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

sneakyfrog posted:

I'm in orlando but i'm currently at my max capacity with the baby and the rest of the horde but i'll put out some feelers for ya.

:toot:

Thanks! :yaycat:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
update to Flora's case:

quote:

Regarding Flora, we can drive her anywhere in the lower 48. Would prefer to keep it east of the Mississippi and obviously closer to Florida is easier for us!

If you're close to florida and you're certain you can take Flora please PM me or respond in this thread!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Hello thread, I've been told by my partner and others I ought post here, so I will. It's been something I've been avoiding due to how things have gone and just plain forgetfulness, but here is my story.

Roughly a week ago, my father pointed out some kittens on our front porch. I went outside to see how they handled people, but they ran immediately. 'Oh well' I thought, and went on my way. Later that evening, I heard birds going crazy in the backyard and found two kittens beneath the feeder, a grey patterned one and a black one.

The black one was very active, but the grey was wobbling and not doing a good job of even sitting up straight. On a whim, I made myself very small, approached very slowly, and extended my hand with care. In retrospect, it was very stupid to do this without gloves, but I've never caught feral kittens before. The black cat ran, but the wobbly grey sat still and didn't move until I had a hand on her shoulders. She was very compliant, largely due to being so weak.

Her eyes were in rough shape. I recognized immediately she had a pretty nasty infection going on there. I cleaned her face as best I could, then went back outside. There were now two orange toms with the black tom, the orange ones worse than the grey. It took work, but I caught them all without getting scratched or bitten or hurting the cats. Then I cleaned them up and went to buy food.

All of them had some kind of eye-thing going on, and were coughing/sneezing. They were also having extremely gooey ( but not black ) movements at the time, but given how late it was by then, there wasn't much I could do or anyone to call.

In the morning, I found and moved them to a larger enclosure.

Soon the black and grey had grown strong enough that I could no longer keep them in a box without a lid, but the orange toms were still very weak and unsteady on their feet. I hand fed them, dripped pedialyte into their mouths. Then I came home to find one of the orange cats had passed. The second orange tom was very cold, and I immediately wrapped him up in a clean pillowcase and held him close to me while my partner did her level best to keep me from freaking out and urged me to an emergency vet. At 1AM, I jumped in the car and took him, keeping him under my jacket, swaddled.

He had a temperature of 92 degrees. The vet informed me that any action would likely do little more than prolong his inevitable death. She gently brought up euthanasia, and said I could take as long as I wanted to say goodbye.

I talked a lot. Mostly I said I was sorry. He said some things too, but he was so weak that most of his mewls were silent. I pet him. I told him he was a very good cat. I stroked his ears and babbled in a soft voice, and promised I would take him home. As he wasn't named, the vet had kept referring to him as 'orange kitty', but as I made the final hand-off, I was struck by how wrong it was that he should die without a name, an object. I looked at the nurse and told her his name was Honey.

Then I sat on the hood of my car, slumped, sweating and sobbing in the heat, texting and talking to my partner.

I named the other cats after burying their brother.

The grey female is Ivanova, and the black tom is Font. I'm not used to raising cats, but I've done research and have been helped by my partner. I've also taken them to a local shelter, which is full, but has given me medication, food, and some other supplies. I'm lucky enough to have a spare room, and when I'm not socializing with them, they're free to run in it and have taken to using the kitten-friendly pine litter. Between the baby food and the nutri-cal, they've fattened up well.

Font initially had some problems with growling around food, but that has disappeared. They both come to me when I enter a room, vocalize for my attention, and welcome touch. I'm unsure as to whether I want to keep them or not, but I know now is not a good time to be making that decision. I just want to see them through to adulthood, get them fixed, vaccinated, and make sure that they end up happy and healthy whether they stay with me or not.

Would greatly appreciate more resources and tutorials and direction. My experience with cats has been limited and I would like to do a good job with the kittens.

Here's a picture of them sleeping in their new larger mesh enclosure to close on:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

You are a good person. I know you've probably been told this already, but you didn't do anything wrong with the two that didn't make it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Here's a picture of them sleeping in their new larger mesh enclosure to close on:

Thank you for everything you did for those kittens.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Kavak posted:

You are a good person. I know you've probably been told this already, but you didn't do anything wrong with the two that didn't make it.

Logically, I know this, and that it would have been hard even if I had all the knowledge and items at my disposal from day one. Emotionally... I've got issues tied to pets passing and guilt over that, so it hit very hard to have two cats die on the same day and it kind of shot my emotional progress in the foot with a super shotgun.

On the other hand, I cried like I haven't cried in a long time. And it felt good. And I screamed. And it felt good.

In the future I'll have everything I need in case I need to do it again. For now, I'm just trying to do the best I can. :unsmith: I'm lucky that I'm in a position where I have free space, and I have a credit card, and I have some money. I've been able to pay out of pocket for a couple things. Cats would not have made it if I hadn't a car and time and money. The emergency vet alone was a hair under two hundred dollars.

Does anyone have any advice for how to secure cables? I'd like to let the cats free-roam more in my room, especially on my days off, but I'd also like for them to not gnaw through, say, the powersource to my PC, or my headphone cable.

I'd also like more information about fostering good behavior and stuff. I've seen mentions of things you should do for kittens you foster without a mother like 'groom them', so they cotton on to that being a social behavior, but not sure how.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'd also like more information about fostering good behavior and stuff. I've seen mentions of things you should do for kittens you foster without a mother like 'groom them', so they cotton on to that being a social behavior, but not sure how.

First off, thank you for everything you did for those kittens. To answer your question check out the Kitten Lady as she has a whole ton of information on youtube, tailored towards people who've found strays who need extra care.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

It's not focused advice, but you can watch some foster cats right now at The Critter Room on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEmawBJsPLgttggzm4Z45Mw

There's a FAQ on the stream page and you can see highlights of him doing eye treatments, weigh-ins, feedings, and the like in his archives or in one of the BrookIvy highlight channels. He's had lots of litters and there's a ton of history/information there. He even has some of the weight charts available online if you're curious.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Aerith and Jesse are both getting adopted tomorrow and I'm less than thrilled about it. These were a good pair....

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Does anyone have any advice for how to secure cables? I'd like to let the cats free-roam more in my room, especially on my days off, but I'd also like for them to not gnaw through, say, the powersource to my PC, or my headphone cable.

Wire loom tubing and cable sleeves might help with that. Velcro cables together and tube 'em?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Dick Trauma posted:

Wire loom tubing and cable sleeves might help with that. Velcro cables together and tube 'em?

Also lots of bitter apple spray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kenan and Kelly are a couple of li’l livewires!

Also Kenan jumps a lot and has gotten into the habit of getting up on her hindlegs and hugging my leg with her front paws whenever she wants pets and/or attention. :3: