Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

moths posted:

Four big helps with fraying are:
1. Keep paint away from the ferrule. The metal part where the bristles attach to the brush is very susceptible to damage.
2. Never let paint dry on a brush after you've used it. Wash it ASAP when you're done.
3. Don't wash your brush with hot water. Warm is fine, but HOT can weaken the glue holding the brush together.
4. Store the brush in a manner that doesn't let the bristles bend.

I generally abide by all of this except #3, that I was not aware of. I'm sure I've definitely subjected many to too-hot water at the end of a painting session.

Winklebottom posted:

When you've dipped them in water, give them a quick wipe on a paper towel so they're damp but not wet. They've held their tip just fine for half a year at least.

Half a year? Lol yea I'm lucky to get a couple months out of mine before I want to replace them :shrug:

Generally I:

-Scoop paint onto palette with an old crusty rear end flat wide brush
-Thin it with some water off a different old rear end brush

-Use my actual painting brush to pick some up, put as much as I can on the mini
-Wash it off to prevent any un-applied paint from drying on the brush, giving it a generous swish in my cup
-Drag the brush along a paper towel to dry if it's a flat brush, or slowly twirl it while dragging it if it's a pointed brush
-Go back for more paint to continue painting

I suspect I'm not drying them well enough which would be how I accidentally pick up too much paint, but I dunno.

But yea - if I can't seem to take care of a loving paint brush then I feel like I should not spend hundreds on an air brush.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I'd like to get into airbrushing cause I'm lazy, but I'm bad at normal painting already so maybe when I can be decent at painting with brushes I will branch out

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

It looks like both the Badger and adapter aren't in stock right now, but the SprayGunner site and Harbor Freight sound like the places to go.

Alternatively pick up a quick disconnect with a Badger size connector. They often have an air valve built in which is handy for doing quick fine pressure adjustment and if you pick up another airbrush (like a cheapo Master's for priming or clear coating) then you can swap between them effortlessly since the male QD connectors are the same size.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Sab669 posted:

I was always just afraid of not taking care of one well enough.

I don't know what I do wrong but I seem to gently caress up brushes regularly. Somehow always get paint in the ferrule, brushes become irreparably frayed etc.

I use soap, I try not to dry the bristles aggressively or anything but before long all of my detail brushes just get hosed up

I kill so many paintbrushes I feel like it should be illegal, partly because I share them with my family and my kid can be rough on them. I buy 3x new brushes each at $10+ every three months.

Recently I'm starting to dig the hobby brushes (army painter in particular) just because the bristles are longer and it's easier to control the tip and keep paint out of the ferrule.

ANYWAY, I was reluctant to start airbrushing for the exact same reason as you. I didn't want to make a $200 investment and not like it or break it on day one. Rest assured though, airbrushes are a lot tougher than paint brushes and it's pretty hard to destroy them. (Plus you can get replacement parts.) I wouldn't let a fear of breaking it deter you.

My advice: get your airbrush and take it apart to familiarize yourself with the pieces day one.

• Get yourself a nice, clean open workspace...kitchen table or the like.

• Put down a piece of paper towel or something white...helps you see all the pieces.

• Your airbrush SHOULD come with some instructions and will give you an idea how to break it down. Basically though you've got five areas: spray tip, body, needle, trigger, and some mechanism which holds the needle in place and potentially limits the action on the trigger (so you can only spray up to a certain amount, for example). Chances are you'll have to just take it apart carefully to figure out how it works.

• Your airbrush will probably have some dire warnings in the instructions: "NEVER remove the defibrillator from the whatsis or you could damage the banger. This will break your airbrush PERMANENTALY and everyone will make fun of you." My airbrush had one of these and after years of use I still don't know what the hell it means. I think it actually requires you to try and pry apart two pieces that are welded together. The first day I took apart my airbrush though I had some trouble re-assembling the trigger mechanism and I was scared to death I'd just broken it. It ended up being fine.

• Once you've got the airbrush taken apart, lubricate the needle with some kind of grease. They make specific airbrush oil but you can use mineral oil or maybe even 3 in 1 oil. Put a little in the trigger mechanism as well. I found this necessary with my badger brush, which was pretty sticky out of the box. After lubing it up it triggered and painted smoothly.

• Anytime you're unhappy with the performance of your airbrush break it down, clean it up, oil it again.

After painting I clean the airbrush like this:
  • Dump extra paint back into the pot. Whatever water or flow improver you've added during airbrushing won't hurt the pot.
  • Put water in the bowl and stir it up to clean up the undumped extra paint.
  • Dump it the paint water in the trash.
  • Repeat water mix up until the bowl is basically clean.
  • Add fresh water to bowl and shoot it on a paper towel or something until it runs clear.
  • Wipe out the bowl with a paper towel.
  • Finish by shooting some airbrush cleaner through.

Pro tip: You'll see people mixing and cleaning their airbrushes by holding a towel or something over the end and shooting air through. Blocking the tip causes the air to flow back into the bowl and bubble. This is possible on any airbrush, but it takes a little more finess if you have a brush where the needle protrudes from the shooting end of the brush (badgers do this for example, while I think Iwata airbrushes are flush at the end). Take a wet paper towel and ball it up, then put the wet end over the tip of your airbrush. If the towel is properly wet you'll get this air backflow, bubbling action.

Really the only way you can permanently damage your airbrush is bending the needle. The trigger mechanism has a spring that I don't think you can easily get to (so you can't really break it or over-stretch it), and even a major tip clog can probably be fixed by using a sewing needle or something to push out the paint. However, if you bend the needle you'll probably have a jerky trigger forevermore.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
You could always just do what I do and treat your airbrush like trash and order a new one every year from the badger sale. Sure it takes 6 months to deliver, but by the time you get it it's time to replace the last one you trashed. It's like a subscription service for people that can't maintain their things!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gameko posted:

ANYWAY, I was reluctant to start airbrushing for the exact same reason as you. I didn't want to make a $200 investment and not like it or break it on day one. Rest assured though, airbrushes are a lot tougher than paint brushes and it's pretty hard to destroy them. (Plus you can get replacement parts.) I wouldn't let a fear of breaking it deter you.

Thanks for this thorough write up 🙂

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Here's another pro airbrushing tip:

Holding the needle in your mouth to free up your hands during cleaning/disassembly is a great way to accidently bump the end and drive the point into the roof of your mouth.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ghazk posted:

Here's another pro airbrushing tip:

Holding the needle in your mouth to free up your hands during cleaning/disassembly is a great way to accidently bump the end and drive the point into the roof of your mouth.

Khorne must have Khorne's due.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Brush chat:

I've been using these for a while now and I absolutely love them. They have a nice fine point, and are right in the middle of cheap brush and expensive brushes price wise.

RedGrassGames

They also have a really nice, but kinda pricey wet pallet.

As long as you have some masters soap, and store them with the bristles pointing up, (I just keep mine in the plastic tubes they come in in my brush cup) they should last for quite a while. The dude at Michigan Toy Soldier turned me on to them and I am very happy with them.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
For those of you looking to save a few bucks on airbrushing.
Cleaner and thinner can both be made with Isopropyl Alcohol (90%+) and distilled water.
Thinner is 10:1 ratio water to alcohol, cleaner is 1:1 (or just straight alcohol).

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Brush chat:

I've been using these for a while now and I absolutely love them. They have a nice fine point, and are right in the middle of cheap brush and expensive brushes price wise.

RedGrassGames

As long as you have some masters soap, and store them with the bristles pointing up, (I just keep mine in the plastic tubes they come in in my brush cup) they should last for quite a while. The dude at Michigan Toy Soldier turned me on to them and I am very happy with them.

Seconding that recommendation. Almost as good as my Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes. Also, their wet palette is amazing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/09/the-app-all-you-need-to-know/

GW finally lifts the lid on how the new app is going to work. Seems like most of the features are going to be subscription based though. Only £3.99 a month, which is roughly 5 bucks.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Looks like they’re doing the “scratch off with coin for access code” thing. “Reference all your rules, fast!” being a very specific sentence construction.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Scratch off and sniff the grim darkness.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The aggravating thing about the app is that once codexes for armies I don't collect start showing up, I have to pay to buy that codex to get the code or see the utility of the app as a one stop shop for stats and rules decline with each release.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Harvey Mantaco posted:

You could always just do what I do and treat your airbrush like trash and order a new one every year from the badger sale. Sure it takes 6 months to deliver, but by the time you get it it's time to replace the last one you trashed. It's like a subscription service for people that can't maintain their things!

My badger messed up and discovered you can send it back to them was service for like 20 bucks or something. They fixed it perfectly with no trouble.

The only awkward part was having to ask my Mom to write a physical check to mail them. I am in my late 30s and have never used a check from my personal account once.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If I buy it the first month and then switch to free, do I lose all the 8th edition codexes?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
That app article has what looks like a new art piece of a spread of Dark Imperium units, including the Primaris Ancient, which is not in Know No Fear. They don't commission art like that just for Warhammer Community articles, so that's least a soft indicator that all those sprues will continue to be available in some form.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I'm just going to use battlescribe

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

You guys mind if i plug one of my friends Kickstarters for Custom Ork Boys?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1897010345/junkyard-boys-3d-printable-ork-warriors

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

jng2058 posted:

The aggravating thing about the app is that once codexes for armies I don't collect start showing up, I have to pay to buy that codex to get the code or see the utility of the app as a one stop shop for stats and rules decline with each release.

That's a good point. The price (3.99 pounds, 4.99 USD?, 5.99 CAD/AUD?) seems a little too high. While it seems more reasonable when subscribing means you don't have to buy every codex and supplement to know all the rules, there's a caveat in addition to the codex drop off. That is, it looks like the army builder will not be included, or at least not feature complete, at launch.

For this to be good value, that "reference all your rules, fast" feature better be real good.

GW's also going to end up going after Battlescribe. $60 a year versus $1.50 (for all features), yeesh.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

You guys mind if i plug one of my friends Kickstarters for Custom Ork Boys?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1897010345/junkyard-boys-3d-printable-ork-warriors

I plug my poo poo frequently and no one says boo.

Speaking of which, I hear this guy makes great products and also is adept at pleasing his wife.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/SigmariteBoutique

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TKIY posted:

I plug my poo poo frequently and no one says boo.

I'm sure you'll find someone eventually! Just don't give up, that way lies only :smith:.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/09/the-app-all-you-need-to-know/

GW finally lifts the lid on how the new app is going to work. Seems like most of the features are going to be subscription based though. Only £3.99 a month, which is roughly 5 bucks.

They are 85% good and 15% bad with this.

My issue: They still want to have an in-print focus. Maybe it’s because they still have a contract to fill with a publisher or something, maybe it’s that the miniature part has margins that are too thin; either way they should consider reducing print copies and removing the requirement to have purchased one. Allow the purchase to be made as a one-time thing fully digital like they do with the current ebooks.

In fact now that I mention it, the Apple Books version is the price of a codec and they advertise free updates. Now you’d need to buy the physical book, and subscribe to get updates. This is an effective price increase.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Has GW changed the times they put their pre-orders up? I thought it was usually between 12 and 1 EDT, but the announcement for the 9th edition pre-order says Saturday morning. Which is true if they're going by pacific time, but confusing overall for a global company.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

OhDearGodNo posted:

They are 85% good and 15% bad with this.

My issue: They still want to have an in-print focus. Maybe it’s because they still have a contract to fill with a publisher or something, maybe it’s that the miniature part has margins that are too thin; either way they should consider reducing print copies and removing the requirement to have purchased one.

I think it's mostly conservatism. They know books make money. They're not making big changes until they're sure the digital tools will be as profitable. That way, if the app tanks, it hasn't lost them as much money.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
https://trade.games-workshop.com/article/indomitus-sold-out/

If you're getting yours from a third-party supplier, it looks like you're going to be fighting over what's been already ordered.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hello

I don’t know really anything about armies or army building, I’ve always just liked painting models, whether 40k or big tiddy fantasy babes or whatever. But the Indomitus box and new rules have me tempted a bit.

I think if I was building a Space Marine army it would probably be Blood Angels just because I like making jungle bases and the red would pop nicely against the green and brown. Would the entirety of the Indomitus box be applicable to Blood Angels, or is a bunch of it kinda specific to Ultramarines?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Someone in the GW marketing team doesn't understand the idea of a price comparison.

£3.99 is the price of just a paint brush every month is bad, because it makes me think "hang on, I never buy 12 paint brushes in a year!".

The idea of saying "for the price of a large coffee each month" is to make people think "hey I buy a coffee every day, I could not have a coffee and it would cover the cost of that app".

Unless the army building stuff is awesome as hell I can't see me subscribing to it if I'm honest. I was hoping it would have stuff to track my crusade army rules and things, if it doesn't well i don't really care about access to all codexes and battlescribe let's me build armies, and I have the core rules PDF on my phone anyway

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Contingency posted:

If you're getting yours from a third-party supplier, it looks like you're going to be fighting over what's been already ordered.

This loving company.

In the midst of a loving lock down epidemic they "under estimated" demand and apparently cant print more poo poo.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

For_Great_Justice posted:

This loving company.

In the midst of a loving lock down epidemic they "under estimated" demand and apparently cant print more poo poo.

They can't! Books are made across the world, and that takes lots of time

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I had three orders already paid at my discounter. He was told today his allocation was cut from 200 boxes to 45.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

jesus WEP posted:

Hello

I don’t know really anything about armies or army building, I’ve always just liked painting models, whether 40k or big tiddy fantasy babes or whatever. But the Indomitus box and new rules have me tempted a bit.

I think if I was building a Space Marine army it would probably be Blood Angels just because I like making jungle bases and the red would pop nicely against the green and brown. Would the entirety of the Indomitus box be applicable to Blood Angels, or is a bunch of it kinda specific to Ultramarines?

It is not Ultramarine specific. The water transfer decals might not have Blood Angels but you can take a crack at painting your own or buy some secondhand on ebay etc or just leave them iconless.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

TKIY posted:

I had three orders already paid at my discounter. He was told today his allocation was cut from 200 boxes to 45.

The retailer I was going through was taking reservations to get a count. Hope he wasn't waiting to Friday to place that order. :ohdear:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Contingency posted:

I wonder if that's US specific or a worldwide issue. As yet I've heard nothing about UK orders being reduced.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

Hello

They will make excellent Blood Angels with decals included in the box. Buy it since it's good value in terms of price vs miniatures. Sell or trade the Necrons with someone else.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I wonder if that's US specific or a worldwide issue. As yet I've heard nothing about UK orders being reduced.

Probably for North America. To meet the release schedule, the boxes are probably already in Memphis.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Brush chat:

RedGrassGames

Question about "bristles pointing up", if I were to get/fashion a holder that the grasps the brushes by the shaft such that the tips hang DOWN but not touching the table would that be better from a perspective of water drying and flowing off the tip instead of into the ferrule?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This 40k app is going to cost the same as Netflix in Australia I reckon. It's a terrible value proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

Question about "bristles pointing up", if I were to get/fashion a holder that the grasps the brushes by the shaft such that the tips hang DOWN but not touching the table would that be better from a perspective of water drying and flowing off the tip instead of into the ferrule?

This is absolutely a thing, and you could fashion a holder from a jewelry or tie rack, and tape loops of cord to the ends of your brushes