Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I don't know what to think of JDF but just going off a few stories he seems like his ego went out of control after a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zeether posted:

I don't know what to think of JDF but just going off a few stories he seems like his ego went out of control after a while

I think in recent years it's largely come back down. I think. I don't actively look into his life and I don't really care to but I'm sure if he does something shitheaded, and no being obnoxious isn't being poo poo headed, we'll hear about it.

He was pretty great in Dino Thunder, mostly by virtue of being the entire cause of all the problems in the season. I still think he was plotting to take over the world again.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Geostomp posted:

The lack of source footage alone would mean that they have to do absolutely everything on their own, including zord scenes.

If I was relaunching Power Rangers, I’d take out the zords immediately. We can sell lots of toys without having to deal with that production nightmare.

As far as JDF’s ego, in a recent interview he claims all his Austin drama is buried in the past and after getting together at the movie premiere he’s decided it’s over. Then without missing a beat he compared it to Biggie and Tupac and said the mentally disturbed individual who tried to kill him at a convention was an Austin fan who took it too seriously.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
my favourite Tommy thing that i don't remember noticing as a kid is how they always had to have him getting tied up by Putties and stuff like an absolute goober to work around the whole "Burai can't leave his cave unless necessary" thing from the footage

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Craptacular! posted:

If I was relaunching Power Rangers, I’d take out the zords immediately. We can sell lots of toys without having to deal with that production nightmare.

As far as JDF’s ego, in a recent interview he claims all his Austin drama is buried in the past and after getting together at the movie premiere he’s decided it’s over. Then without missing a beat he compared it to Biggie and Tupac and said the mentally disturbed individual who tried to kill him at a convention was an Austin fan who took it too seriously.

Getting rid of the Zords completely kills what makes Power Rangers a unique series, that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, I'd do that AND I'd get rid of the suits. They can just wear street clothes. Fight choreography sounds like hell, too, so that's out the window.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Power Rangers is now Saved By the Bell.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Power Rangers is now Saved By the Bell.

Ah, back to our roots

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm in the process of looking through Ultraman 80 episode titles and

Hm

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

I'm in the process of looking through Ultraman 80 episode titles and

Hm

Yep.

Just wait til you get to the episode of Ultraman 66 that has, as a plot point, aiming for the monster's anus

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I never liked Tommy during the og run. I always preferred Jason as a character such as they were lol. To this day I'm annoyed at how Tommy was always being shoved into new series when there were other characters that deserved that.

Of course my favorite character was Zack and JYB won long term so :lol:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I remember reading or hearing somewhere-I forget exactly where-that the cardinal sin of MMPR Season 1, and Ninja Steel, is that there are character focus episodes but there isn't really character arcs.

Like, we learn more about the characters, their hobbies and situations, but they don't really... grow or change.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

I remember reading or hearing somewhere-I forget exactly where-that the cardinal sin of MMPR Season 1, and Ninja Steel, is that there are character focus episodes but there isn't really character arcs.

Like, we learn more about the characters, their hobbies and situations, but they don't really... grow or change.

I can't speak to Ninja Steel, but the characters in MMPR season 1, and 2 if we're keeping track (and honestly shades of it through Zeo and Turbo, basically In Space is when this REALLY started to change) are more archetypes than anything.

They aren't 1 dimensional, but they're sure not three dimensional. And some of that just comes down to their actors, of course. While none of them were especially great early on, they do add more just by virtue of not being Megaforce Red planks of wood

To break the core, original team down-

Jason- The most heroic of the group, takes everything super seriously, and considers all failures his responsibility. He doesn't goof off much. He's really into martial arts, but doesn't care that much about environmental or social issues. Probably the best fighter?

Zack- The most laid back, has a self image of 'cool' that he tries to live up to. Likes to be unconventional with stuff, not afraid to kiss the boys he likes, but also isn't afraid to let others know when he's afraid of poo poo or uncomfortable. He really doesn't tend to care about social or environmental issues, but is The Romantic. He's basically the most open with his feelings and wants to be in a relationship the most of the group. Probably the third best fighter?

Trini- Maybe more serious than Jason, the second smartest of the team, the most environmentally and socially minded of the group. She doesn't care about shopping or fashion or typically feminine things, and is maybe the most dedicated martial artist. She's not as naturally heroic as Jason, but is up there. Probably the second best fighter?

Billy- 1990s Nerd Geek Lord, the smartest man in the room or any room, probably the most environmentally minded behind Trini. Brave despite himself, not really into martial arts like the others, resourceful. The worst fighter of the group.

Kimberly- Into environmentalism and social issues but not as much as Trini. You can tell this because Trini is usually the one spear heading those events, while Kimberly is just as fine going shopping. Very into gymnastics, fashion, and generally feminine things. The fourth best fighter probably?

Tommy- Babies First Anti Hero On The Redemption Path. Feels guilty about how he started out, trying to redeem himself. Season 1 specifically, is into martial arts in a more selfish way than Jason is- Jason is a teacher, while Tommy just practices for himself. Is effectively tied with Jason for being the best fighter. Most of his big moments are byproducts of the storylines that he's in, as there's a lot you could read into- lingering guilt, wanting to prove himself, wanting to do what's right- but it's all surface deep due to how the show was.

Basically you have the building blocks for characters here. These are archetypes that could be expanded on and explored in greater depth, if they wanted to. The new movie basically shucked them out of the window, ESPECIALLY poor Zack, and just did whatever. I don't think that's needed. There IS stuff that's unique to each of them.

For those wondering about the season two crew

Aisha- Girlier than Kim and even more into shopping. Despite being introduced as a ninja, doesn't seem to have a lot of martial arts interest. Part of this is because Kim starts mellowing out from her Valley Girl persona into a more generic heroic role as time went on.

Rocky- Was once a wall. Might be his own ancestor. Really likes pachinko.

Adam- Is a frog

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Huh. I had heard that MMPR Season 1 had a lot of "characters just got back from (insert good cause here) charity/bake sale/car wash/clothing drive/food drive" stuff but I didn't think it was that bad, huh.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

Huh. I had heard that MMPR Season 1 had a lot of "characters just got back from (insert good cause here) charity/bake sale/car wash/clothing drive/food drive" stuff but I didn't think it was that bad, huh.

It's straight up a character trait for Trini. It gets dropped I want to say......half way through? Or at least toned down.

It's part of what made stuff like Green with Evil so important and big- it was just pure super hero stuff, without the sitcom nonsense.

Though I will say in the show's favor, I did use environmentalism for a reason. Usually it wasn't car washes or the like, but straight up protests about the damage done to the environment, pollution and the like. Which, you know, wouldn't be irrelevant to bring back. But the show also made sure to have the kids have pretty distinct views on it. Billy didn't have much interest in joining those, as he is The Antisocial One, Jason and Zack would actively dodge them when given the chance, though Zack could always be roped in if Angela was involved. Trini was the driving force behind them and Kimberly was often supportive though her priorities could wander.

Tommy largely didn't have much to do with that side of things because, again, things tended to be more serious when he was involved. Relatively.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

Yep.

Just wait til you get to the episode of Ultraman 66 that has, as a plot point, aiming for the monster's anus

Which if I recall correctly is also how they beat Yongary

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drrockso20 posted:

Getting rid of the Zords completely kills what makes Power Rangers a unique series, that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do

I feel like they can sell toys without having to film a mini Godzilla movie every episode; which even Toei doesn’t want to do and CGIs up more and more. If the zords did anything interesting it’d be one thing, but we all know that at best they’ll be a recreation of season 2.

Some of my favorite Sentai seasons have dull as hell mech battles. I get why they’re there, but increasingly they’re selling toys that look impractical on TV, only function in CG, and it’s almost like the exist simply for tradition and to keep the show from resembling Kamen Rider. About the only way they make sense to continue doing zord fights is if they transition to some animated world for them for some reason.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will say, the MMPR crew have one moment of characterization that goes above and beyond what other similarly goody good teams have. When first brought to Zordon and asked if they'd fight for the fate of the world, they all, except for Jason, told him to gently caress off and stole his poo poo.

Jason was the only one willing to hear him out but got dragged out by the others. The exception being Tommy who didn't get a choice in the matter.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Burkion posted:

I will say, the MMPR crew have one moment of characterization that goes above and beyond what other similarly goody good teams have. When first brought to Zordon and asked if they'd fight for the fate of the world, they all, except for Jason, told him to gently caress off and stole his poo poo.

Jason was the only one willing to hear him out but got dragged out by the others. The exception being Tommy who didn't get a choice in the matter.

For a very brief moment, the teenagers actually did have attitude. Then they became generic goody-goods as “role-models”.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

It's straight up a character trait for Trini. It gets dropped I want to say......half way through? Or at least toned down.

I think that's part of why I like the (now finished) Go Go Power Rangers comic so much in that it focused on the kids' lives out of the suits as much as in their suits, although that did sadly go away as the series progressed. Trini especially got a lot of nice character development and they kind of made her the team's rock which made sense as it also (I think) made her an army brat so she was happy to hang onto this new found family.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's pretty much her role in the group, yeah, if you're building from the actual archetypes in the series. While Zack was the unspoken Second Leader early on, him or Kimberly, Trini was like everyone's support character. Second smartest so she paired well with Billy. Her serious attitude bounced well off of Zack. She and Kimberly were a nice balancing act. And while they don't get to interact super often, she has the whole martial arts thing with Jason.

There's stuff there that you can absolutely build off of and make more from. Plus season 1 has the Morality of Power that is fascinating for a kids show to even bring up. They don't do anything with it, but it's there.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Burkion posted:

Umm... No? Only Kim and Zack we actively vocal about wanting nothing to do with it when leaving. Trini stuck by Jason and Billy was more interested in the Command Center tech.

This is right when Zack say "Y'all comin?"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Look I was trying to be brief with that bit for humor's sake. I actually did allude to Trini being the only other one to want to hear him out- see my earlier longer write up- but Jason was the most vocal about it.

Basically I can see why the comics would pair the two of them up- on paper they have a lot of similarities.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Today is July 9th, my birthday. But thanks to the International Time Line, it is July 10th in Japan: ULTRAMAN DAY! On this day in 1966 Ultraman made his debut on tv, so we share the same birthday! Boy fukkin' howdy do I love that silver and red bastard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMUZ6fWLVQI

Happy Birthday to Ultraman!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Cheers to the father of modern tokusatsu and all that we love

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

Look I was trying to be brief with that bit for humor's sake. I actually did allude to Trini being the only other one to want to hear him out- see my earlier longer write up- but Jason was the most vocal about it.

Basically I can see why the comics would pair the two of them up- on paper they have a lot of similarities.

Yeah. I liked her crush on Jason, which I was fairly sure was comics original.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Burkion posted:

Billy- 1990s Nerd Geek Lord, the smartest man in the room or any room, probably the most environmentally minded behind Trini. Brave despite himself, not really into martial arts like the others, resourceful. The worst fighter of the group.
You forgot this part:
Poorly trying to hide how shredded he is.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I really need to go back and read Go Go Power Rangers. I read the main comic through Shattered Grid but haven't really touched GGPR

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Today is July 9th, my birthday. But thanks to the International Time Line, it is July 10th in Japan: ULTRAMAN DAY! On this day in 1966 Ultraman made his debut on tv, so we share the same birthday! Boy fukkin' howdy do I love that silver and red bastard!

Happy birthday, Gatos! :toot:

And happy birthday to Ultraman from a newly minted fan who's finally been watching the dvds she bought nearly a decade ago and been loving it :toot:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zedd posted:

You forgot this part:
Poorly trying to hide how shredded he is.

Be fair, they did a good job of that to begin with by putting him in the most ridiculous clothing imaginable. So many goddamn layers.

And then they just gave up because that was a body that all had to see.

There was this vaguely ...I don't want to say horny, but there was a more teenage edge to some of the MMPR stuff involving romance and really, really fit people wearing very little. Jason was often either shirtless or just about, Billy would eventually trade in overalls for tank tops, Zack got to show off from time to time, Kimberly had her gymnast outfit, Tommy basically lived in tank tops

Trini didn't get too much in that way, mostly just her usual crop top and mini jacket that I kind of doubt they'd let fly on a kids show nowadays.

But there was also a physicality to the romance- Tommy and Kim kissing and hugging and such- that very quickly bled out of the series. By the time of the paradoxically more mature series like Time Force, No Kissing, No Hugging was in full effect.

The 90s were loving weird.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Oh yeah I was mostly Joking, It's just funny to me nowadays how even the "weak nerd" was pretty loving ripped.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd decided a while back that, if by some chance, I end up being casted in a Power Rangers season, I'd want to go for a villain role because the people playing them usually sound like they're having fun with the bad puns and evil laughing and constant sniping and snarking.

Was that still true back in the day? Were Rita and Zedd and the monsters of the week sounding like they loved being evil and were having a blast overacting?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

I'd decided a while back that, if by some chance, I end up being casted in a Power Rangers season, I'd want to go for a villain role because the people playing them usually sound like they're having fun with the bad puns and evil laughing and constant sniping and snarking.

Was that still true back in the day? Were Rita and Zedd and the monsters of the week sounding like they loved being evil and were having a blast overacting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QKrafI3ka4

You loving tell me

EDIT: ALso Zedd, Rita or both are Jewish. Fun fact

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Happy birthday Gatos! Best to you, Lulu, and Rokitansky!

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Burkion posted:

EDIT: ALso Zedd, Rita or both are Jewish. Fun fact

I can't think of a single joke to make about this that doesn't come off unintentionally anti-semetic.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LastGoodBoy posted:

I can't think of a single joke to make about this that doesn't come off unintentionally anti-semetic.

It is what it is. Honestly the villain stuff in MMPR is some of the best because, when it really gets going, its this, a lot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

The 90s were loving weird.

Yeah. The wardrobe department had a distinct preference for Kim in crop tops and shorts. As a young teen I didn’t mind but cough years later it really stands out. Kat got it as well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/KamenRiderDCD/status/1281424873471041536?s=19

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I really don't like that version's cards. I wish it had the correct looking versions.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
When did "You can insert the collectable trinkets into a weapon for special attacks" become a thing in Kamen Rider? I want to say Double...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

When did "You can insert the collectable trinkets into a weapon for special attacks" become a thing in Kamen Rider? I want to say Double...

Ryuki