Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm finishing in upgrading the 'side B' of the night mirror, and I was going to ask what are good combos in there, what people like in each of the two options.

Stygian Soul is actually kinda slept on, imo. The 3 second timer starts when you fire it and there's no upper limit to how many casts you can have on the field at anyone time, just in your pockets, so extra casts become super strong with Stygian.

Mind you, I used Hera Bow to do half of the B side perks at once (mostly the ones that I find not great, like High Confidence and such). I think Stubborn Defiance is okay if you're confident that you can Beat Hades with 1 DD, and early on it's probably better than a second DD for beginners. The last few getting swapped around is actually kind of an interesting question, trading better epic chance vs etter legendary/Duo chance is far more intersting than just rare chance.

No Wave posted:

The bull's patterns will become second nature after a few tries (especially if you run into him as a miniboss). Theseus has a sound queue for his spear so you'll eventually just be able to whale on the bull whenever he does a jump slash then dash behind a pillar when Theseus is about to let go of his spear.

The bull's main trick is he will often slash you quickly if you stand next to him attacking for too long so you can only do a little at a time.

For some personal reason I actually find that killing Theseus first is easier than the Minotaur for the heroes fight. I think it's because I find it super easy to avoid the bull attacks but not the spear, and once you take down Theseus the god attacks stop so it's just a Bull fight to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Picked this up during the sale, it sounds really really deep. With upgrades is it a case of do enough runs to make your character op or is it still fairly balanced and upgrades make it easier but not a cakewalk?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ilmucche posted:

Picked this up during the sale, it sounds really really deep. With upgrades is it a case of do enough runs to make your character op or is it still fairly balanced and upgrades make it easier but not a cakewalk?

They make it a quite a lot easier, but you'll also unlock the option to make it a lot harder, so you can get that progression dopamine while still finding the challenge sweet spot for you.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sounds good then. Neon chrome sort of did the same thing, but eventually I'd start out so weak relatovr to early enemies it was hard to get a run going, but would steamroll the end game.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

One thing to note is that the game doesn't really have infinite progress, so you can't grind and grind if the base difficulty level is too much for you. But that's why it has a "god mode" that's really more of an easy mode.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ok, I'm revising my god tier list. Poseidon has redeemed himself quite a lot because his damage buffs are fat and if you find him in act 1 you'll normally find rupture in time if you use a trinket in which case he becomes pretty good. And bonus points for the completely ridiculous Zeus/Poseidon synergy (I also swear his knockback effects have become better vs bosses in the past few months or maybe I'm crazy). Ares and Dionysus on the other hand never stop disappointing me. New ranking:

1.) Aphrodite
2.) Demeter
3.) Athena
4.) Zeus
5.) Poseidon
6.) Artemis
7.) Ares
8.) Dionysus

I have a weapon I'm happy with for everything except the spear (Nemesis sword, Zagreus fists, Hestia rail, Chiron bow, Chaos shield). I had hope for Guan Yu because it's throw is nice but its normals are just too crappy and Elysium is too rough. I haven't given Achilles spear a fair shot yet so maybe that will do the trick idk.

I've generally been disappointed in the hidden aspects because they're all slower and clumsier than the standard ones.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think the Hades spear is by far my favorite thanks to the ridiculous spin attack range it has now.

Ares and Dionysus aren't bad but they're probably the narrowest in application because they need to be attached to an attack with the ability to apply their status effects in an area multiple times quickly to hit their full potential.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 9, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm still at heat levels (~8) where the final boss is the hardest part of runs by far. Maybe Ares will look a little better when the hardest part of the run is elysium mobs (but even then he's so bad vs butterfly ball and act 3 boss...)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I am too, but I find the hardest part of Hades is the p1 summons so I still value aoe and anti-armor pretty highly on that fight.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of RNG there. If you get the butterfly ball you want different stuff than if you got multiple smaller guys.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Sindai posted:

I think the Hades spear is by far my favorite thanks to the ridiculous spin attack range it has now.

I got my first spear clear last night with a Hades spear and two hammers that further upgraded the spin attack.

With some appropriate boons to go with it I was critting the final boss at 900 to 1000 damage per maxed out spin. And with the range, I could do it from behind a rock.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

No Wave posted:

The bull's main trick is he will often slash you quickly if you stand next to him attacking for too long so you can only do a little at a time.

The trick I can't manage is his bull-rush. It magnets onto you and I have trouble shaking it, my instinct is to make him run into pillar like I can sometimes in miniboss form, but in the big show we end up playing: ring around the rosie, pockets full of coinsies, bull smashes, smashes, zagreus fall down.

ilmucche posted:

The upgrade system is actually pretty smooth as a brand new player. It's definitely the sort of thing where you could tell some super-pro could blaze through to the end with just the default stuff (and they can, I've since seen it) but you also don't feel bad for not being able to. You kind of learn the bosses and flow at a rate that climbs pretty in-sync with your meta-upgrades. Like, right when I was thinking "drat, if I had just one more 'free life' I bet I could get to that drat boss" pretty shortly after I got my extra life and was able to get there. In short, the meta upgrades help but the real ceiling will always be your skill, you can't grind yourself to an easy game.

I used the shop edit trick someone mentioned earlier to give myself lots of the currency to unlock a late game thing and max one of them out. While it definitely made that thing better, I'm still only as good as I am and I made about the same progress as I make lately in other runs, I'm not winning every run yet. Plus there's a system to make stuff harder when/if you do get good.

Speaking of my relative scrubicity: What run did y'all first beat the big boss?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Making him smash into pillars will become second nature soon enough. You also can make him smash into a wall of the arena but it's a little less consistent.

The game was made harder in January so numbers may be lower than they would be today. I escaped on my 17th attempt.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 9, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think it took me around 30 in the previous major patch.

I agree that the collision on the Minotaur's rush often feels slippery and inconsistent. The most consistent way to do it is probably to hug a pillar and dash through it when he reaches you. Or hug the wall and dash through him if your timing is good.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 9, 2020

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I started playing when Blood Price launched, and got out my 7th run. I dunno if they made the game easier, but I did also get Cursed Slash that run.

Sindai posted:

I am too, but I find the hardest part of Hades is the p1 summons so I still value aoe and anti-armor pretty highly on that fight.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of RNG there. If you get the butterfly ball you want different stuff than if you got multiple smaller guys.

Is it random? I haven't fought enough times to know, but it really feels like Hades always summons the mobs that dealt the most damage to you over the course of the run. May be confirmation bias.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Codeacious posted:

I started playing when Blood Price launched, and got out my 7th run. I dunno if they made the game easier, but I did also get Cursed Slash that run.

Is it random? I haven't fought enough times to know, but it really feels like Hades always summons the mobs that dealt the most damage to you over the course of the run. May be confirmation bias.

It's probably confirmation bias, because on the last run I did he summoned a monster I literally did not see that run. (A medusa head, for what its worth).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Well if people are going to post numbers that low I'm going to add that until I had every talent but the last one maxed I focused on grinding darkness over winning. :v:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I bought the game during the sale, started with the latest update. Won my first escape with attempt 15, was using the spear with explosive throw, doing around 150 per throw.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This is twin stickable yeah? I was going to play last night but internet in our region went out. Was at like 90% and now have to redownload the game because steam forgot what it has downloaded:(

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
no, i dont think twin stick would really work with this game

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Twin stick no, controller yes.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Khanstant posted:

The trick I can't manage is his bull-rush. It magnets onto you and I have trouble shaking it, my instinct is to make him run into pillar like I can sometimes in miniboss form, but in the big show we end up playing: ring around the rosie, pockets full of coinsies, bull smashes, smashes, zagreus fall down.

If you have anything with deflect it makes the bull rush a lot easier to deal with, too. With deflect on dash you can just dash right into him to stop it, or pop your Call if you have Athena's. Same with Aphrodite's call, though I've noticed it makes him weird the gently caress out for a bit so hopefully that bug gets fixed.

Khanstant posted:

I finished my first run after ~30 attempts or so. The Rail aspect that boost damage when you absorb your special+quintuple grenades+doom+deflect+the duo boon that instantly pops doom when you deflect an enemy who has it is a loving busted combo that still works and that Aspect is extremely slept on.

Sindai posted:

Well if people are going to post numbers that low I'm going to add that until I had every talent but the last one maxed I focused on grinding darkness over winning. :v:

This is a totally legitimate way to go about it, frankly, especially if you find yourself full-on in the rabbit hole. A lot of progression is locked behind finishing at least 1 run so I usually recommend people grab it first, but given that more upgrades usually means more wins later, it catches up quickly.

Stygian Soul is also definitely slept on and I literally can no stand using the default cast mirror upgrade anymore, it feels loving awful.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I generally don't cast unless I'm using a caster weapon or I'm doing yet another run where I'm trying to get Vicious Cycle for the achievement.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

No Wave posted:

I generally don't cast. Unless I'm doing yet another run where I'm trying to get Vicious Cycle for the achievement.

There are some quality casts. I like Zeus, Poseidon and Dionysus for casts. Ice Wine is amazing if you can get it. I had a run that had Ice Wine and Scintillating Feast so my casts were in the end were doing 475 damage per cast and then the whole area had lightning strikes for extra damage.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I, generally, avoid any cast that doesn't guarantee it sticks in the enemy that I want it to stick into unless I'm doing a specific build (which basically boils down to just Demeter's cast or Dionysis on Hera/Beowulf). In general I significantly value single target burst damage over AOE abilities since most rooms that have you getting mobbed are generally filled with low-health idiots. Elysium being the exception, but on average I clear rooms much faster bursting down one warrior at a time, and am safer doing it.

I'm genuinely curious to hear about people's takes on Zeus cast and situations where they find it useful, though. I think it's, 95% of the time, complete dogshit and will pick almost any other cast over it if I have the choice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I love Zeus casts, but you do need to stack his boons for them to be worthwhile.

It is interesting how people have different play-styles, though. Just from reading this thread I can tell that I like fast weapons like the fist and a ton of dodging, but not everyone plays like that. Similar to the bow discussion. For me, I like having my single-target DPS be in my main attack and I like having the cast be multi-target.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Sab Sabbington posted:

I, generally, avoid any cast that doesn't guarantee it sticks in the enemy that I want it to stick into unless I'm doing a specific build (which basically boils down to just Demeter's cast or Dionysis on Hera/Beowulf). In general I significantly value single target burst damage over AOE abilities since most rooms that have you getting mobbed are generally filled with low-health idiots. Elysium being the exception, but on average I clear rooms much faster bursting down one warrior at a time, and am safer doing it.

I'm genuinely curious to hear about people's takes on Zeus cast and situations where they find it useful, though. I think it's, 95% of the time, complete dogshit and will pick almost any other cast over it if I have the choice.

I really enjoy Zeus casting with Stygian Soul as you don't have to worry about finding the bloodstone to cast again. It's not great against bosses but amazing against normal rooms as you can pop in and hit a group of enemies with a single cast with little effort. Add Static Discharge for Jolted and you can rack up damage with little danger to yourself. It's also a quick way to get rid of shielded health.

If you're able to up the damage a bit and get lucky with your boons, having Zeus cast with a Rare or Epic decreased bloodstone regen and a +1 so you can cast at least 2 times will allow you clear out non shielded enemies very quickly.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
got athenas cast in one run tonight with the duo boon (I think its zeus/Athena) that made it bounce between enemies, and also the athena boon that makes deflect give enemies exposed. it was pretty good for extra damage especially with hangover on attack and weak on special for easy privileged status on everything

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
also I had never tried it before but the Aphrodite/Zeus boon that makes your god gauge charge constantly but only go up to 25% is really good. it lets you pretty much repeatedly use your call all the time. I had dionysus' call and between everything constantly being hungover for 18 damage/tick and the crazy Poseidon/Zeus duo boon interactions on my special I finally beat hades

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I don't go for Poseidon most of the time, but I'll always grab his cast if I can and use the Demeter trinket after. The Poseidon / Demeter duo cast by itself is a run winner (unless it got nerfed in the recent patch).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can we all at least agree that Artemis call is the best? Being able to delete bosses is just so nice. Except when you are dumb and do it right before they go into invincibility.

[Edit: Sorry, I meant Artemis! :( vvvv]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 10, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Athena's call is just so much better than the others because it lasts longer and upgrades make it go on for even longer and you usually have equivalent or more dps than poseidon/ares on top of it. You can get up to like 15 seconds of invincibility with the greater call, which is completely absurd when nothing else can go past 7.2 seconds.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Khanstant posted:

I started a few weeks ago, and I think it was 13 or so for me, using the shield. I just got one yesterday with the railgun, too.

Internet Explorer posted:

Can we all at least agree that Artemis call is the best? Being able to delete bosses is just so nice. Except when you are dumb and do it right before they go into invincibility.

[Edit: Sorry, I meant Artemis! :( vvvv]

My railgun win has Artemis' cast. I think I did at least 30% of Hades' life with it, especially since I got the Hermes boon where God Gauge went up automatically.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, in most cases I'd say the best Calls are Athena (to stay alive), Artemis (to kill a motherfucker), or Demeter (to lock down everyone), depending on your needs.

Though admittedly, I do like Ares call a whole bunch, and with the blade rift upgrades it has the potential to be better I think. But in general Athena's tends to be better. And Poseidon's is just way too slippery for me, but invincibility is invincibility I guess.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Athena's is probably objectively the best but I end up using it fairly rarely since dash or attack are usually higher priority for her early boons.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Don't sleep on Aphrodite's call as well, it deletes huge chunks of HP from bosses.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Kuros posted:

Don't sleep on Aphrodite's call as well, it deletes huge chunks of HP from bosses.

Broke: Dodging all the final boss' attacks
Woke: Making him just stop doing them

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Captain Lavender posted:

Broke: Dodging all the final boss' attacks
Woke: Making him just stop doing them

I do remember once getting Aphrodite's legendary on fists, and let me tell you, it was insane.

IIRC the 4 second charm gets cut down against bosses, but with the speed I could re-apply it he basically just...didn't attack.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I had something similar with Lucifer's attack. Every time he started lasering I would interrupt him, and when it wore off he'd try again.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Arzaac posted:

I do remember once getting Aphrodite's legendary on fists, and let me tell you, it was insane.

IIRC the 4 second charm gets cut down against bosses, but with the speed I could re-apply it he basically just...didn't attack.

yeah i actually just had aphrodite's legendary on fists on my last run, but weak was on my special and not my attack. ended up only charming hades a few times but i can see how if it was on your attack it would become pretty significant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I suck with Lucifer. The range is horrible.