Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
feel like if shy was gonna die an abrupt death it would've been before it was like 40 chapters in. short-lived shonen manga tend to not last that long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
SHY is very good

it's here to stay

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

DoubleDonut posted:

apologies to anyone who's been enjoying SHY lately. I have also been enjoying it, which means that it will get canceled in a month because it is an action manga

sorry to interrupt but this mf said imtimidating

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
he's trying his best

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do people think of Muv-Luv around here? I've heard some good things but figured I'd check

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Acerbatus posted:

What do people think of Muv-Luv around here? I've heard some good things but figured I'd check

The visual novel series?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

The visual novel series is pretty good but insanely long and even as someone who loves useless fluff, it's got more useless fluff than it really needs. The various prequels and spinoffs are average at best from what I've seen.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fangz posted:

The visual novel series?

Yeah, the trilogy (I think?) is on sale.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think it's cool overall but there is like... a lot of nonsense. Like the entire first game is comedy harem stuff, so it depends on your tolerance for that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The first game is honestly pretty funny but yeah, it is an over the top early 2000s romantic comedy with an insanely long subplot about lacrosse. And the second is entirely training on a military base. It is two full visual novels before you are reading about shooting aliens in giant robots. And that buildup is important and a lot of whats in that earlier stuff is good but expect to spend 100 hours of your life on something that's all over the map, instead of wanting to read about giant robots for 20 hours or whatever.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

RME posted:

im not scared of an egg

never knew stair was an australian politician

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Zetsubou-san posted:

never knew stair was an australian politician

makes sense tbh

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Stair is a multifaceted poster with a bevy of talents, it's only fair.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the classic stair posts the n word talent

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
So how’s “Japan Sinks 2020” that’s cropped up on Netflix?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's yuasa so it's probably baseline good

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Dropped it after the end of episode two. Don’t even know what that was.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm hearing that it's hilariously bad.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I still need to finish Eizouken

God I want that on video here so bad

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
finish Eizouken, Zeether

so is this the first time Yuasa produced a stinker? i really soured on Kemonozume by the end, but apart from that can't think of anything of his that i watched or heard about from other people that was criticised as much as Japan Sinks

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Grouchio posted:

There were some weird moments in episode 1 for sure.

Some people on a downed plane start yelling about an incoming tsunami you can see in the background.

The tsunami is never seen or mentioned again after it cuts to the next scene.

Anyway, apparently there’s another earthquake based disaster anime called Tokyo Magnitude, so trying that!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Acerbatus posted:

Yeah, the trilogy (I think?) is on sale.
I have mixed feelings on Muv-Luv overall personally, but it is the highest rated VN on vndb for a reason and I think it's undeniable how ambitious it was as a story. It genuinely does some things from a storytelling perspective that I think are kind of amazing and emotionally resonant/affecting in a way that very few VNs get for me at least.

At the same time it is a massive investment of time and a lot of it just isn't that interesting, especially the first two games (though I came to enjoy Extra more as time went on and I reflected back on it, I think it has some pretty good jokes all told). And even when it gets to Alternative there are plenty of choices it makes at times that don't really work for me. I also have vivid memories of the script being, like, kind of bad? Just so many useless lines and repeated canned-like responses that made it feel like you were losing your mind. If you made a drinking game every time Takeru responds with "Eh?" as his sole voiced line you'd be dead an hour into Alternative.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Grouchio posted:

I watched the last episode first by accident.

Which could have been a cool cold open to a story about refugees or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RottenK posted:

finish Eizouken, Zeether

so is this the first time Yuasa produced a stinker? i really soured on Kemonozume by the end, but apart from that can't think of anything of his that i watched or heard about from other people that was criticised as much as Japan Sinks

Pobody's nerfect, I suppose.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

muv luv owns

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i thought the first episode was good. i really liked the transition between the open static shots of the characters going about their lives and the graphic claustrophobic scenes when the bad stuff starts happening. some pretty animation and framing + a nice score too. obviously things could go horrible in the next 90% but i find it hard to believe at this point that something yuasa had a hand in could ever end up 'hilariously bad'.

edit: of japan sinks

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Big Leg posted:

i thought the first episode was good. i really liked the transition between the open static shots of the characters going about their lives and the graphic claustrophobic scenes when the bad stuff starts happening. some pretty animation and framing + a nice score too. obviously things could go horrible in the next 90% but i find it hard to believe at this point that something yuasa had a hand in could ever end up 'hilariously bad'.

edit: of japan sinks

As of 3 episodes it’s not hilariously bad, and there is some interesting things about it. However, it’s easily the weakest work I’ve seen them put out so far.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I feel like I'd take anything grouchio says witha huge grain of salt because he probably got it from some normie youtuber

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

when is the gorf YouTube series

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

I feel like I'd take anything grouchio says witha huge grain of salt because he probably got it from some normie youtuber
I got it from a discorder. I did not say this was my opinion.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gorf is gonna go on my podcast to plug his youtube video essays on why tomino is woke actually

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Love youtube

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/gluefac3/status/1278460434845241344?s=20

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tomino acknowledges that women like gundam and think that's why it's good so he's woker than the manga gundam sousei

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The Colonel posted:

tomino acknowledges that women like gundam and think that's why it's good so he's woker than the manga gundam sousei

but can you say this for four hours while staring blankly at your circa 2007 webcam

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

where does ganota rank in this

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i stan tomino for the part of victory that's like "idpol is bs"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

okay but what about the rest of victory

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's also good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

precure + corrector yui + the yoyo show in like 40 minutes (about to watch gay vtubers in the meantime)
https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchanime