Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Iirc at some later point sim suggests (in a from the writer spiel, not in an issue) that the US shouldn't have a female president bc she might get her period during a crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Fleetwood posted:

About ten years ago I read a Mamet book about making movies. Maybe he was being facetious, but there was a section where he talks about there being so many Jews in Hollywood because they have bigger brains than everyone else thanks to centuries of rigorous religious study

ive seen hollywood jews talk like this before but this is the first time ive heard of one being dumb enough to commit it to print instead of just leaving it as a bad interpersonal anecdote you tell at parties it wouldnt surprise me to learn that every right wing loon out of hollywood that goes into crazy antisemite mode heard that story so many times they decided it was the awful truth and not just a tasteless joke

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ca4bvOTcI

yeaaaaaa boiiiiiiiii

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
how could anyone possibly have been persuaded to give a poo poo about watchmen when the boys already existed

were they being paid off

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC the misogyny turn comes after the author got divorced? There are a lot of cases where a seemingly or even genuinely woke author is understanding and insightful until suddenly he has a relationship go sour and runs screaming into the comforting embrace of misogyny rather than face his own mistakes.

I dunno if it's like this in the phone books, but it looks like the site where I'm reading has scans of the individual issues, which have the opening editorials (first from his co-publisher, then from his wife, currently from him or Gerhard if he's too busy), the letters section, and, fior the lst few years at least, a pictorial travelogue, showing where he's at and what he's been up to, which I'm trying to use to build an idea of factors that could go into this break. I can definitely see where the divorce is inevitable at this point; he's almost always traveling around the world now, playing the rockstar role, almost no photos of his wife anymore.

sebmojo posted:

Iirc at some later point sim suggests (in a from the writer spiel, not in an issue) that the US shouldn't have a female president bc she might get her period during a crisis

lol

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

the entirety of Hamilton I kept thinking how the rapping reminded me of another, better artist and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then I figured it out and I'm thinking about it constantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS1fdw0tJds

Someone help I think I'm going insane.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the John Cena rap album is legit a banger

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DTWGmcEY4Q

John Cena's Hamilton would unironically be 100% better.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

how could anyone possibly have been persuaded to give a poo poo about watchmen when the boys already existed

were they being paid off

not too hard to like em both, and they’re pretty different shows despite both being cape poo poo for nerds

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

double negative posted:

not too hard to like em both, and they’re pretty different shows despite both being cape poo poo for nerds

the boys is absolutely not cape poo poo for nerds, it hates cape poo poo and ridicules it every step of the way

watchmen on the other hand started out interested and then immediately reverted to stupid cape poo poo

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

the boys is absolutely not cape poo poo for nerds, it hates cape poo poo and ridicules it every step of the way

watchmen on the other hand started out interested and then immediately reverted to stupid cape poo poo

i don't say it as a knock, but just because it's loving with the genre doesn't mean it's outside of it, it just recognizes the audience is jaded with it. i prefer the satirical stuff - the only comic i really hosed with as a kid was x-statix, but both are still trading in and based on your familiarity with the genre.

the best and saddest thing about watchmen was how many people it made realize the tulsa massacre was a thing, including all the people who adamantaly initially refused to accept that the depiction in the opening could be anything but pure fiction. unfortunately lindelof had a great cast and only about 2 or 3 cool ideas. i liked enough of it to stick it out, and i'll give dude credit for knowing when to call it quits, because there certainly wasn't a second season there

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the boys is better than watchmen hbo bc watchmen hbo was made by morons and the boys has the homelander

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i just want to say the new perry mason suck rear end

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
homelander carries the show. what a freak.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Get this for your antifa crush if you want to be more than just another simp to her

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Taintrunner posted:

hating cape poo poo and ridiculing it is basically an entire genre of cape poo poo with exactly the same audience

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ghost Leviathan posted:

hating cape poo poo and ridiculing it is basically an entire genre of cape poo poo with exactly the same audience

Harsh but fair

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like the sub genre of anti-war movies that have plainly visible erections in the fray.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Comic book movies are for loving children and deciding they were for adults too is top five worst things American culture has done in the last 30 years

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's cool when the joker does crimes

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/mikethedevine/status/1281330712285773826?s=21

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Exactly. The Boys (TV) is a vast improvement on The Boys (the comic), but at the end of the day, it's central gimmick is "what if superheros, but BAD" and just harps on that idea without having much to say about it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

no but see I like the sophisticated superhero show where they say "gently caress" and has lots of gore so that makes me very mature, unlike the children who like superman

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
The Boys comic was originally pitched to DC (?) using their existing characters

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fleetwood posted:

The Boys comic was originally pitched to DC (?) using their existing characters

That explains why the Seven are all clearly DC parodies.

Do they get a Batman later?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

The Boys comic books are a juvenile retread of marshal law (where the "nuke me slowly" in my av is from)

The boys show is a more cowardly rendention of the comic book series. A pathetic copy of a retread of the genuine article.

Marshal Law takes manhattan is maybe the best anti-cape comic book of all time

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Reminder that one of the competitors in the tenth season MasterChef was literally a former torturist.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

skooma512 posted:

That explains why the Seven are all clearly DC parodies.

Do they get a Batman later?

Black Noir is supposed to be the Batman

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

It's kinda sad that "superheroes, kinda dumb innit?" is seen as groundbreaking commentary.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the boys is pretty good but lets not pretend its higher art than marvel poo poo, other than the aforementioned "is pretty good"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

MizPiz posted:

Black Noir is supposed to be the Batman

Oh ok, I understand that.

I guess it's because he's mute and I couldn't ever get a good look at him (i.e :thejoke:). If anything I thought he was a Black Panther spoof because the costume felt closer to that than a batsuit.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
was just rereading The Boys and hey, look what I found. No wonder HBO Watchmen sucked.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Here are some panels from marshal law, the first three are from marshal law takes manhattan where the punisher facsimile "the persecutor" is attempting to seek sanctuary in a mental hospital for criminally insane super heroes where parodies of the avengers rule the roost

in the lore, the US invented super heroes to fight a vietnam style conflict that devastated central america, the persecutor was a school of the americas ghoul that taught torture tactics to americans in "the zone"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Very cool, very incisive

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda sad that "superheroes, kinda dumb innit?" is seen as groundbreaking commentary.

you clearly didn’t watch the show, because it’s a lot more than that.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

General Dog posted:

Very cool, very incisive

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the new unsolved mysteries sucks theres no robert stack and they took the percussion out of the theme song

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Stairmaster posted:

the new unsolved mysteries sucks theres no robert stack and they took the percussion out of the theme song

it's just a generic crime documentary p much now so it's firmly in the solid B range

nothing could come up to Robert Stack's power but at least it's not the regrettable Dennis Farina era

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1280161504180961280?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Boomer detected. I would not know of the Jane Fonda workout video if it weren't for my boomer mom.