Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

You monster. Why not bake mum some seaweed cakes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balder
Apr 3, 2011
8. Not voting against any.

9. Voting for:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

You monster. Why not bake mum some seaweed cakes?

all seaweed cakes must be ours and ours alone! OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
Dang! I forgot that I wanted to put in a vote to make Ahaz spend time doing combat training this timeskip.

I want him to be able to stand on the front lines in case of an attack, even if he isn’t focused on monster hunting.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Boonoo posted:

Dang! I forgot that I wanted to put in a vote to make Ahaz spend time doing combat training this timeskip.

I want him to be able to stand on the front lines in case of an attack, even if he isn’t focused on monster hunting.

He's blooded enough that he probably does still stand on the front lines. He's pretty drat blooded.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Hey I just realized something, since we never got the traditional mighty man education, who is actually responsible for teaching our sons how to be Mighty Men?
We got Uriah to apprentice to 3dad, but we never got any such deals for our sons. Does that mean none of them know any cool power words, or other mighty man skills? That would be devastating for their battle potential.

Diog: Can we get clarification on this? Do any of our sons apprentice to someone other than us to learn mighty powers, or are they all in the dark in regards to such things?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Hey I just realized something, since we never got the traditional mighty man education, who is actually responsible for teaching our sons how to be Mighty Men?
We got Uriah to apprentice to 3dad, but we never got any such deals for our sons. Does that mean none of them know any cool power words, or other mighty man skills? That would be devastating for their battle potential.

Diog: Can we get clarification on this? Do any of our sons apprentice to someone other than us to learn mighty powers, or are they all in the dark in regards to such things?

+1 this is a good question, but Asahel has probably tested every power word he's ever heard or learns of just to see if he can do it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Victis posted:

+1 this is a good question, but Asahel has probably tested every power word he's ever heard or learns of just to see if he can do it

Teach him the giants' power words

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

David and Asahel have received training from Tudiya. Ahaz has not.

Olothreutes posted:

Diog, for option 41, just surveying for the minerals doesn't mean we want to trade them, right? I just want to make sure it's not also a vote for the trade agreement.
Correct.

Olothreutes posted:

Also was the Acco rock one of the samples from Ninhursag that was consumed when we made Every Strike?
If they are you can't tell from having simply seen them.

MinistryofLard posted:

Question for Every Strike:
Would our smithing have a better outcome if we mined out the ore, smelted out the copper and the tin, and alloyed it out into ingots ourselves?
Every-Strike says "Yes it would and that would be an excellent idea, as long as the time you spend on it is taken from other aspects of your life and not time you would otherwise spend in the forge."

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 10, 2020

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
This hammer is pushy!

So it sounds like there’s a boost, but not enough of one to justify less time in the forge. Given our diverse pursuits it doesn’t seem worth doing.

It really is seeming more and more that the “traditions” had real reasons behind them and have real impact on men blooded enough to push their craft to the highest level.

Fake edit: We’re already spending a gross amount of time in the forge. I say we slice off 3-5% and do some mining—if only to spite the hammer.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

We should do the mining and smelting ourselves but only when we're making a true masterwork, IMO. Maybe we will learn Mining Chants from Every-Strike.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
We should also ask Lefkandi to try digging and processing his own clay (for the first time in 85 years), and see if he notices anything different with his pots.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SerSpook posted:

We should do the mining and smelting ourselves but only when we're making a true masterwork, IMO. Maybe we will learn Mining Chants from Every-Strike.

Same.

I feel like the boost only happens if it takes more effort away from everything else and puts it into the thing we're making.

I think if we took forge time to do it it wouldn't make any difference at all.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Boonoo posted:

This hammer is pushy!

So it sounds like there’s a boost, but not enough of one to justify less time in the forge. Given our diverse pursuits it doesn’t seem worth doing.

It really is seeming more and more that the “traditions” had real reasons behind them and have real impact on men blooded enough to push their craft to the highest level.

Fake edit: We’re already spending a gross amount of time in the forge. I say we slice off 3-5% and do some mining—if only to spite the hammer.

I think doing the mining might make sense when we are working on some specifically epic weapon for ourselves, or the armour maybe.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, it might be worth doing every step ourselves if we're crafting some sort of God-Arrow explicitly designed to kill the Tent Demon dead, but I doubt it's worth the investment otherwise

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I would say it's worth it if our goal was any specific thing of quality, not just wild stuff like eagle arrows.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Diogines posted:

David and Asahel have received training from Tudiya. Ahaz has not.

Why? Is it because he doesn't want to? We should have a talk with him that as a scion of a great family both in Zepath and Ibleam he needs to take the mantle of responsibility as so many others have. I'm honestly pretty shocked this never came up before because I don't think anyone would have let this slide.

Except those bad people who forget Ahaz exists

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Ahaz, go to Tudiya School you lazy kid.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Why? Is it because he doesn't want to? We should have a talk with him that as a scion of a great family both in Zepath and Ibleam he needs to take the mantle of responsibility as so many others have. I'm honestly pretty shocked this never came up before because I don't think anyone would have let this slide.

Except those bad people who forget Ahaz exists
Because while he is one of the Blooded Elite, Ahaz is not exactly renowned for his martial talents? There are not great stories about the adventurous exploits of Ahaz, son of Enkidel, unlike David and Asahel, who among other things are famed to have helped slay Amoq, King of the Giants, fought sea demons and engaged in many other courageous activities.

You probably have to be one of The Best before you get taught Family Secrets in kicking rear end?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Time to become a miner then.

We should force a few our grandsons to join us and Ahaz, so it can be part of family time!

[b]Diog, what's Ur view of minor labor in coal tin mines?[b]

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I couldn't imagine life without the beautiful sight of the green horde
Is there any social reason that would prevent Asahel or David from passing on some of what they learn to Ahaz?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yes he cares only for rocks and is married to the mine

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Diogines posted:

Every-Strike says "Yes it would and that would be an excellent idea, as long as the time you spend on it is taken from other aspects of your life and not time you would otherwise spend in the forge."

Sacrifice of time, giving up that which is precious...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Option 37. Send a cask of Karnapple cider to the king that gave us the cephalot claw as thanks[The resources involved are more than trivial.]
Option 38. Try to proliferate and standardize the system of precisely timed shifts/breaks based on sundials that one of our mine foremen implemented. [This will upset the conservatives in Zepath.]
Option 39. Put out word with our merchant contacts and traders coming into Kavodel, we pay good money for (1)Magic items, (2)Foreign or wondrous seeds and (3)Extremely high quality bows. [The cost is more than trivial.]
Option 43. Start buying monster parts from wanna be adventurers and merchants. Pay them in silver/low quality BB items, medium quality BB depending on the part. [This is going to be very expensive.]
Option 44. Revisit the issue of marrying our family into Dor's royal line.[Possibly controversial on your end, but Awan would certainly be thrilled.]
Option 45. Ask Awan and Khaba how often are they having city wide drills. Offer to send Eleazar or other officials to help lead them.
Option 47. Send people to look into the Afula Meteor. Special Magistrate mission! [It is potentially dangerous, but the resources are trivial.]
Option 50. Encourage groups of adventurous young men to go out and learn things instead of just killing things. Reward them for news of distant places and insights into the wondrous works of the great cities.
Option 51. I give some of my considerable wealth, in secret, to support the orphans and widows of the Battle of Acco.
Option 68. Incrementally draw googly eyes, nose and silly mouth on Every with charcoal so it doesn't notice."
Option 69. Attempting to reconnect with Azzazel somehow, bring goats if possible.
Option 70. Commission an adventurous Blooded (but expendable) inhabitant of Kavodel to retrace Gerbok's path to see if the Cyclops exists. We can reward them with a suit of fancy armour or membership of the Balls.
Option 72. Give a prayer to El to thank ""Igal"" for keeping us company even if it was brief.
Option 73. Esher and the younger balls get a quest to hunt down Elderman Etana. Dead or alive but preferably alive for Tudiya to interrogate him. Have gareb draw accurate copies for them but warn he might have changed his body.[You coordinate this well enough with Gareb for him to make a police sketch art rendition of him. Also, portraiture techniques are not that advanced in Ur.]
Option 76. Get word to all the Kavodelian adventuring bands that we’d pay huge sums of gold and/or gear for blue stones.
Option 78. Spend time inside our forge while we're using it. We're already incredibly resistant to heat but there's a chance we could gain even more and maybe even deepen our understanding of fire.
Option 79. Start adding metals, gemstones and uranium to our diet. We're half-divine and can metabolize metal now, so maybe it will benefit us. Do it in our forge where random people can't see us.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Giving money to the widows of the Battle of Acco I just don't get. If you want to help them help Acco survive the next jubilee. Gold won't deter any Bnaimokt attack.

Besides the attack (monstly) wasn't our fault. And it completely risks further alienating Khaba.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I guess he has kind of stayed home for almost all of it. We did Ahaz wrong imo. I know he's not super big on adventuring and for his manhood trial basically did the bare minimum to go 'you happy?' and went back to being a nerd. I still have hope that he'll be the silent hulk and come through big time when poo poo hits the fan. He's basically Bruce Banner in Ur.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
It’s also been 12 years. Kind of a pointless gesture at this point.

TK-42-1 posted:

I guess he has kind of stayed home for almost all of it. We did Ahaz wrong imo. I know he's not super big on adventuring and for his manhood trial basically did the bare minimum to go 'you happy?' and went back to being a nerd. I still have hope that he'll be the silent hulk and come through big time when poo poo hits the fan. He's basically Bruce Banner in Ur.

We really should have had him do something similar to Gareb. Prove you can hold your own, then do what you want.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Boonoo posted:

It’s also been 12 years. Kind of a pointless gesture at this point.

We really should have had him do something similar to Gareb. Prove you can hold your own, then do what you want.

Yep. Ah well.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

We definitely need to do a "mine and make your own bronze" pilot program imo to figure out just what the improvement:effort ratio is. I suspect it'll be worth it for masterworks and major projects that will take a large amount of time no matter what but not mass production. Only way to find out is do it though.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Remember all those asides in Diogines' posts regarding how agonizingly slow the Temple construction was going? Now apply that to everything, getting exponentially slower as we learn more.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Learning the art of mining from Ahaz would improve our smithing. Having mastery over something from inception to final product would allow us to make exceptional pieces. Man. We are really bad at utilizing the resources near us. It took forever to ask Tudiya about anything.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A Terrible Person posted:

Remember all those asides in Diogines' posts regarding how agonizingly slow the Temple construction was going? Now apply that to everything, getting exponentially slower as we learn more.

This is why it takes Amos 600 years to plant a flowerbed.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Boonoo posted:

We should also ask Lefkandi to try digging and processing his own clay (for the first time in 85 years), and see if he notices anything different with his pots.

I doubt there will be any difference. It's what he was doing before we helped bankroll his "Make slaves do it" strategy.
Plus, he isn't Blooded, not even a little bit. That's probably a really big factor.
Also, he makes pots, he isn't trying to make mythical arms and armor.

It makes sense for us because it's that much more of Us that goes into the process and imbues it with that much more ???

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Spending 10 hours digging ore probably just cuts 10 hours off the amount of time we need to spend hitting it with a hammer. Total time/effort spent remains constant.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Bob Tuskins posted:

Is there any social reason that would prevent Asahel or David from passing on some of what they learn to Ahaz?
Yes. Those who are taught such things are sworn to secrecy. You don't know exactly how that works and if Uriah has to teach his own sons, get permission or send them to Tudiya. However it works, is a secret so closely guarded you don't know.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Ask Avery if we made pieces of rocks part of our daily life such as using it to beat us during training or using it as a pillow would those particular rocks be better suited for smithing by Enkidel after an amount of time like a decade?

We've seen this idea for some time from the temple to Danal's old standard we found with Bagar's belongings having more than normal presence. I do agree that its probably something for singular items but maybe we can set it up so we don't have to spend time digging or combo it with digging for an added boost in ???.

It would be funny if we at some point decry the smiths of zepath as decadent because they didn't mine their own rocks.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

If we do decide to mine our own metal for a special project I want to just punch it out of the ground. Forget using a pick, Enkidel just forces the earth to surrender the metal to him by hitting it over and over.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Seize the means of production from inception. Tell Ahaz to find us the choicest copper and tin vein from which Enkidel can pull from the ground and craft into something which will glorify El.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Diogines posted:

Yes. Those who are taught such things are sworn to secrecy. You don't know exactly how that works and if Uriah has to teach his own sons, get permission or send them to Tudiya. However it works, is a secret so closely guarded you don't know.

So this wasn’t so much of an “Ahaz didn’t want to do it” but instead a “he’s not cool enough for the cool kids club” kind of this. That alleviates some of my guilt but I still have hope.

Cmon Ahaz discover earthbending. Make Dad proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

8. Do not do:

9. DO do:

CloFan fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 10, 2020