Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Mods that add tabs can get reaaaal conflicty when tabs compete for space.

For what its worth i havent had any major issues come up with those specific mods conflicting, just tabs cutting in and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I don't mind having to reselect a pawn several times to get the tab I need, if that's what you mean. Big issue now is not being able to see their needs and not being able to draft them. Guess I'll start messing with my mod order to see what's the problem.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Turns out the Better Infestations, for some bizarre reason, has notifications of infestations set to off by default. So by the time I realised the attacking insects were also making a hive, it had a dozen bugs. I thought I'd get some mortars and shell them, but that took too long and now I think the bugs own the map.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Razakai posted:

Turns out the Better Infestations, for some bizarre reason, has notifications of infestations set to off by default. So by the time I realised the attacking insects were also making a hive, it had a dozen bugs. I thought I'd get some mortars and shell them, but that took too long and now I think the bugs own the map.

“Better Infestations” doesn’t actually specify for whom the Infestations will be Better

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Aside from the above odd choice, it is pretty neat. They organize hunting packs that go out and kill stuff to feed the hive, expand over time, spawn queens to make new hives etc. I'm currently trying to contain them by squashing new hives when they pop up and ambushing the hunting parties, but eventually I'll have to attack - I'm hoping a massive mortar bombardment will destroy the main hives, or that a pirate assault or heavily armed caravan might soften them up.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think the trouble with better infestations is there isn't a notification for the "swarm" event, which is like an extra 120% spawn of the current bugs on the map with hives. I turned them off after I started having the issue of 100+ bugs spawn for a late game base raid, satisfying their swarm condition the instant they exist, so by the time I've actually had a good defense against those guys I notice the hunting bugs are intermittently wandering towards my base and I'm never actually done fighting. Eventually I notice 50+ hives on the edge of my tile!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Razakai posted:

"Why is my FPS so low?"

"Huh."

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Yeah I've had hives crop up on the edge of my map and missed them until I notice my FPS tanking even lower than normal and, oh hey, there's like six queens!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Whew lad it's been a minute since I've played Rimworld. Since Royalty dropped basically. I'm thinking I might fire up a colony but naturally that means I've got to install about 8000 new mods.

I have the normal staples - Save Our Ship 2, SRTS, Rimefeller, etc. Is there any hot new game changing poo poo? I tend to go for bigass colonies with 50+ dudes and like to raid other colonies as my endgame content but am down for other stuff. I also like to skip the initial "oh god hunt a rabbit with this bow" part by dropping in a fully formed spaceship to live in that I just need to get fueled up and research so I can modify it. I've just been going through the list of last 3 months popular but I have no idea what's compatible with what or how many of my old mods will work presently.

Assume I have the latest version of the game.

Edit: like I'm seein' a Z-levels thing and that is a terrifying but potentially interesting idea? Get real SimTower with it.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 8, 2020

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I've heard of enough weird bugs with zlevel mods that I'd personally wait a while

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Good lord you need an absurd amount of heat sinks for space combat in SOS2. A dozen barely let me get through a couple volleys.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah despite being called heat sinks, they're basically your shield HP. That gets hot.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
You're probably better off either getting a few very large spinal mount weapons and covering those with a shield and protecting the rest of your ship with a beta poly wall, or entirely encasing your ship with a poly beta wall and using non-spinal weapons.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I just started playing Rimworld a day ago

A herd of 10 cats suddenly joined my colony and started eating everything what the gently caress

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:piss:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I just started playing Rimworld a day ago

A herd of 10 cats suddenly joined my colony and started eating everything what the gently caress

Could be worse, they could have joined your colony and started eating the colonists.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
lasers in save our ship 2 are NASTY weapons.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SugarAddict posted:

Seriously, I went from considering installing more plasma weapons to shoot from further away to just strapping more engines onto the boat so I could hit laser range faster.

I also figured out, you can fix salvage bays acting shonky by just disabling all the ship related stuff in Minify Everything. I decided to do that anyway since I built half my ship by ripping solar generators and heatsinks off stolen ships and figured I should give the devs SOME respect for how they intend it to be played.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SugarAddict posted:

Keep in mind, this applies to the enemy's too. :v:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

My ship is all like, bugged out. Got into combat with a derelict frigate and I couldn't target any weapons on it. The frigate closed to plasma range then like, blinked out of existence according to sensors but was still present on the map.

Also my fission reactors don't seem to be venting to my heat sinks right. I've got a clear coolant path to my heat sink room but the reactor room still heats up to 85 degrees. Meanwhile, when the heatsink room starts to heat during combat, my listed heat on the ship combat interface is still zero?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

My ship is all like, bugged out. Got into combat with a derelict frigate and I couldn't target any weapons on it. The frigate closed to plasma range then like, blinked out of existence according to sensors but was still present on the map.

Also my fission reactors don't seem to be venting to my heat sinks right. I've got a clear coolant path to my heat sink room but the reactor room still heats up to 85 degrees. Meanwhile, when the heatsink room starts to heat during combat, my listed heat on the ship combat interface is still zero?

There is a "Heat Network" you need to connect everything to. When it fills up, shield generators break, weapons will vent their heat into the rooms they are in. You need to connect everything with heat pipes or to powered hull or whatever.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's important to remember that "heat" in terms of heat sinks and shields and "heat" in terms of room temperature are two different and only kind of tangentially related things. You have a total heat capacity that's basically your shield HP, except it counts up from 0 instead of down from your total capacity. If you max out the shields get disabled and it regenerates over time by making Room Heat, which means that even if the enemy ship isn't really breaking your shields it might be forcing the sinks to pump out enough Room Heat to start fires and other such havoc. You'll want a lot of radiators to cool off the rooms quickly, and in an emergency you can just open doors to vacuum to cool rooms off basically instantaneously, with the caveat that heat sinks won't be able to convert Ship Heat to Room Heat (and thus regenerate your shield HP) if they're in a vacuum. Weapons and reactors and other such ship equipment potentially generate a lot of Room Heat in combat too unless they're connected by heat pipes/powered hull to heat sinks, and instead dump the Room Heat into those locations instead.

Also ship combat itself is kind of buggy and imbalanced so expect things to break a bit and definitely don't mess around with it much in hardcore mode. The fact everything else in the mod runs almost flawlessly is kind of a miracle.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

whats the point of making an additional settlement or assaulting nearby settlements? I just sent my first caravan and saw there those options on the menu.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ughhhh posted:

whats the point of making an additional settlement or assaulting nearby settlements? I just sent my first caravan and saw there those options on the menu.

Okay this is my second day playing, but assaulting seems obvious: instead of trading for what you want, wouldn't you rather just take it?

Making an additional settlement I guess is there in case you run out of some key resource on your map, but seems like a lot of extra work.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol I tamed a megasloth and released it on a bunch of raiders this owns

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Extra settlements I believe aren't normally enabled, you have to enable them in options, but broadly yes their role would be to give you another map to live on and harvest.

Also for the storytellers that have an escalation element, I believe moving to a new map resets that, so if you find raids getting too heavy you can move to a new map with only vital things and raids will get a lot easier.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Some things regarding SOS2, I actually had a shield go down due to overheating, but was able to get a crewman in there to fix it up before taking any permanent damage. For the love of god PUT A FIREPOPPER BY ALL YOUR SHIELD GENERATORS.

Salvage actually works akin to forming a caravan, as far as I can tell it disassembles everything on the map behind the scenes, then let's you grab whatever you want. I expected it to just be 1000kg of random poo poo :v:

If you're running Bad Hygiene, the integration button is in the Bad Hygiene mod options, not the SOS2 mod options, it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that :cripes:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 10, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ughhhh posted:

You can assault a settlement not only to take their stuff and get prisoners, but iirc proximity to settlements influences events somewhat. Also, if you destroy a settlement, those who are at war with them get +20 rep with you.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

There is a "Heat Network" you need to connect everything to. When it fills up, shield generators break, weapons will vent their heat into the rooms they are in. You need to connect everything with heat pipes or to powered hull or whatever.

Oh yeah I had that. Everything had a clear path of heat tubes to the heat sinks.

Asimo posted:

It's important to remember that "heat" in terms of heat sinks and shields and "heat" in terms of room temperature are two different and only kind of tangentially related things. You have a total heat capacity that's basically your shield HP, except it counts up from 0 instead of down from your total capacity.

But this I was confused about. Ended up just plopping down a couple air conditioners in the reactor room.

On a different note my new problem is my ship seems to be too drat big to land anywhere. I really liked my base setup so I kind of ship hulled the entire thing and launched it into orbit...

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 10, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

lol I tamed a megasloth and released it on a bunch of raiders this owns

I used to tame grizzly bears and then inject them with lucifarium and drop pod them into tribal settlements.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Katt posted:

I used to tame grizzly bears and then inject them with lucifarium and drop pod them into tribal settlements.

As far as war crimes go this has to be up there. Organ harvesting prisoners is kinda small potatoes compared to genocide via what is essentially indiscriminate biological warfare.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just like to make nice little farm colonies :)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Katt posted:

Jesus Christ

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Sulphagnist posted:

As far as war crimes go this has to be up there. Organ harvesting prisoners is kinda small potatoes compared to genocide via what is essentially indiscriminate biological warfare.

You can't prove his colony gave the bear the Luciferium or launched the drop pod. :colbert:

That bear could have come from anywhere, maybe it's a glitterworld pet that grew up and wasn't cute anymore so they just set it free where it wouldn't bother them.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Katt posted:

Holy poo poo

Im gonna try this out with velociraptors :getin:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:staredog: I just managed to face tank a ship's entire stock of torpedoes and holy piss it cut close

The bastard keeps scooting out of plasma range so I'll have to go back to the ol' faithful method of sending in my slasher android to rip her way into the bridge

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Can you make a massive self sufficient ship? Like that can grow food and manage a large population?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Katt posted:

Can you make a massive self sufficient ship? Like that can grow food and manage a large population?

Absolutely. It takes a LOT of resources and man hours but I'm nearly ready to lift everyone off the ground and use the ship as a main base. The only thing you need to leave the boat for is to get raw materials but that's what shuttles are for :v:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Danaru posted:

Absolutely. It takes a LOT of resources and man hours but I'm nearly ready to lift everyone off the ground and use the ship as a main base. The only thing you need to leave the boat for is to get raw materials but that's what shuttles are for :v:

Got a screenshot of the ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm phoneposting right now but when I get home I can grab a screenshot