Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

K8.0 posted:

The G305 is a bargain if it does what you need

I love my g305. Best mouse I’ve had since my old mx510. I use a battery converter to save a few grams and the aaa lithium I have in it is close to 9 months old at this point. Great mouse.

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can save even more grams/fractions of grams by using a ball of tinfoil instead of the converter.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What's a good alternative to the g602 for having some extra thumb buttons but not being one of those ones with an entire loving numpad on the side? Preferably one that doesn't start double clicking and refusing to drag after 6 months use.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I like my G604 a lot. I had the wired version of the G502 and liked it a lot as well. No quality issues with either one.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If you're looking to avoid the Logitech Lottery I bought a Razer Basilisk Ultimate w/ the optical switches after getting hosed on a few straight Omaron-China switched Logitechs and I'm not going back. This thing's great and the only thing I could find that had the sniper button that didn't use them.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I've been sitting on this opinion for a while but I finally need to say it. OP, buy the $100 mouse.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm apparently becoming an old and my wrist is noticably strained when using a normal mouse, so I'm looking into a ergonomic solution. My current top contender is the Logitech MX Vertical, but this is a space that I know very little about, so I'm requesting opinions about egonomical mice.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm apparently becoming an old and my wrist is noticably strained when using a normal mouse, so I'm looking into a ergonomic solution. My current top contender is the Logitech MX Vertical, but this is a space that I know very little about, so I'm requesting opinions about egonomical mice.

Just do what I did and be unsure that a $100 Logitech MX Vertical mouse is right for you, and go with the $20 Anker vertical mouse instead. I use it all the time for casual and work use (when I remember to switch) and use my G502 for gaming. It helps my wrist strain a ton.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Another vote for using the Anker as a test. I did the same and discovered that I had a really hard time with it because clicking now resulted in a sideways pressure on the mouse, so I have not invested in a more expensive one.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Before you move to a vertical mouse, I would try getting away from the lovely "ergo" shapes that everyone loves and trying to get a mouse that has a really low height.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Another vote for using the Anker as a test. I did the same and discovered that I had a really hard time with it because clicking now resulted in a sideways pressure on the mouse, so I have not invested in a more expensive one.

That's where I've heard people recommend the Logitech over the Anker, because some people find it harder to click using the Anker. It's not the most professional-quality mouse, so the buttons are a little cheap and rigid. I basically needed it as a pointing device, I don't do a lot of clicking.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A buddy of mine has an Anker vertical mouse - I might test that out and see how I feel about the buttons. I'm not gonna lie - I'm really OK with spending premium money for a premium product and a $20 mouse has me wondering if there are things that are going to annoy me that a better built mouse can fix, but there is no harm in trying this.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A buddy of mine has an Anker vertical mouse - I might test that out and see how I feel about the buttons. I'm not gonna lie - I'm really OK with spending premium money for a premium product and a $20 mouse has me wondering if there are things that are going to annoy me that a better built mouse can fix, but there is no harm in trying this.

anker on the whole makes stuff far better than the average chinesium plastic object at marginally higher prices

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm going to be working from home for awhile. I'm currently using a very cheap Logitech wireless setup for keyboard and mouse. The mouse has poor tracking and the keyboard is physically uncomfortable for me to use after awhile.

Is there a keyboard / mouse combo anyone recommends? I would prefer one receiver for both and under $50. I would prefer a mechanical keyboard but am ok with whatever.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 2, 2020

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Trip report. I got a chance to use an Anker Ergonomical mouse, and the MX Vertical.

The Anker is decent, especially considering it's a company based out of China. I kind of expected something that's a tier above 'cheap trash', but it wasn't that bad. That said, it wasn't great either. The scroll wheel was loose, the buttons were definitely awkward to click and felt like they required more horizontal motion than I could easily apply. The entire thing felt like the manufacturing tolerances weren't that tight, but not so bad that it was unusable. I wouldn't be mad if it was the only option, but it's not my first choice.

The MX Vertical was noticeably superior. For whatever reason, the click action felt substantially more consistent and the construction was noticeably tighter. Nothing had any give to it and it felt premium. Besides that, it did feel like better to use. The Logitch mouse let my hand just lazily rest, where the Anker expects my thumb to do just a little bit of work to keep everything in place. My one complaint would be the scroll wheel which is way harder for me to click without either moving the mouse or clicking another button, but I'm willing to assume that's because I'm familiar with the G502's action, which is so much heavier. It's also awkward to scroll a large distance in one swipe. As your finger approaches your palm, there is strain in my joints to make this motion work. The play here is to make many small scrolls as opposed to few big ones, which I'm not too fond of.

For me, I think the MX Vertical is worth the 80 extra USD. I spend so much time on a computer, it doesn't make sense to get a cheaper product I'm bound to end up using for thousands of hours.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I'm going to be working from home for awhile. I'm currently using a very cheap Logitech wireless setup for keyboard and mouse. The mouse has poor tracking and the keyboard is physically uncomfortable for me to use after awhile.

Is there a keyboard / mouse combo anyone recommends? I would prefer one receiver for both and under $50. I would prefer a mechanical keyboard but am ok with whatever.

I was in a similar situation a while back except a bigger budget and looking for something that's also usable for gaming. My experience was that single receiver is strictly budget only and there's very few wireless mech keyboards with dedicated receivers and they're all expensive. Ended up with a Logitech G305 and G613 but that's still a bit over $100 for both.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I had a beloved G600 which had huge doubleclicking problems, and because I couldn’t find a new one, I decided to take it apart and fix it. Huge success, it’s working like it’s brand new. I took apart a cheap never been used spare mouse, opened up its microswitches, took out the little metal thingys and replaced the ones in the G600’s microswitches.

I’m glad I took the time to do some research and understand the inner mechanical workings of microswitches, because I can fix any future button failures easily without even needing to solder. I just need to order some spare microswitches when the lockdown lifts.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
What could one mouse cost? 10 bananas?

I use a $30 mouse and get by okay, I don't know why you'd need a $100 one.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's true, the thread title is quite out of date. You don't need a $100 mouse, and the suggestion that you do is annoying. You need a $150 mouse.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

curiousCat posted:

What mouse do you use?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

curiousCat posted:

A mouse is something I use for several hours almost every day. For regular browsing, work and gaming. Something I use that much is worth paying a premium for.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

curiousCat posted:

Lol if you work 8 hours a day at your PC and aren't willing to spend less than a Del Taco order per month on a sweet as heck mouse

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can't afford a proper mouse (or chair, or desk), I need the money for a sweet af $1000 RGB puke video card that idles all day long while I play minesweeper.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
do any 'good' mice have quiet clicks? I'm using some generic microcenter thing that isn't super fancy or ergonomic but it doesn't make annoying click sounds, which is great compared to the G602 sitting next to it

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

orcane posted:

Can't afford a proper mouse (or chair, or desk), I need the money for a sweet af $1000 RGB puke video card that idles all day long while I play minesweeper.

Noob. You also need RGB RAM, RGB fans, RGB PSU and led strips (all RGB of course) around the case. Get your act toghether.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Look at this guy forgetting the RGB cables.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

wyoak posted:

do any 'good' mice have quiet clicks? I'm using some generic microcenter thing that isn't super fancy or ergonomic but it doesn't make annoying click sounds, which is great compared to the G602 sitting next to it

The Logitech M590 is similar to the very popular M720 Trialthon with silent clicks if you're looking for a super solid quiet wireless mouse for $40.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ynglaur posted:

Look at this guy forgetting the RGB cables.
RGB monitors too. Although that's in the same category as mice/desk/chair (ie. thing you use all day so make sure to put absolutely minimal amount of :10bux: in among your $3000 gamer cred build)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you better hope your monitor has rgb, monochrome is kind of dated these days

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got my Zaunkoenig mouse today and messed around with it a bit. It is really loving light and very goofy to get used to. I've come from a long line of 100g+ mice and generally like the heavy mice for feel, but after using lighter mice, I was kind of sold on the idea of 'frictionless' motion for FPSes and such. It's going to have a learning curve, but I'm pretty optimistic and it's interesting to see a mouse like this go all-in on it's niche.

The click feels super nice and despite looking chintzy as hell coming out of the box, it feels solid in the hand and it glides SO nice across my cloth pad. The initial look and weight betrays the quality of this little thing.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 15, 2020

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

You'll get used to it quicker than you think! :)

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A weird habit I've already developed is using a single finger to move my mouse. The surface is just sticky enough to hold my finger in place and the movement is actually that effortless that my index finger is basically just gliding across the pad.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

I got my Zaunkoenig mouse today and messed around with it a bit. It is really loving light and very goofy to get used to. I've come from a long line of 100g+ mice and generally like the heavy mice for feel, but after using lighter mice, I was kind of sold on the idea of 'frictionless' motion for FPSes and such. It's going to have a learning curve, but I'm pretty optimistic and it's interesting to see a mouse like this go all-in on it's niche.

The click feels super nice and despite looking chintzy as hell coming out of the box, it feels solid in the hand and it glides SO nice across my cloth pad. The initial look and weight betrays the quality of this little thing.

Huh, didn't expect to run into anyone on here who got one of those. That thing looks like such a risk to buy, even though it's interesting.

I saw the manufacturer had made a bunch of posts talking about its team's analysis of what fingertip grip people use. I'm a fingertip gripper but I have a strong suspicion what makes fingertip grip work for me is radically different to other people, since I find mice that are meant to be mediocre for fingertip grip (eg Kone Pure Ultra) ideal. Regardless, clearly some thought went into it. The low number of buttons would probably stop me from ever buying it even if I thought the shape would be ideal for me, though. I know a lot of other people say that for most games (but not MMOs and maybe MOBAs) you need very few buttons, but I find myself using the two primary buttons, mousewheel click and both side buttons on my mouse in RTS games and in FPS games.

On the subject of another mouse, I saw there are some rumblings that Logitech might be about to announce a lightweight variant of the GPW. I imagine that would be almost a perfect mouse for many, many people, given how beloved the GPW is - but for the switches being prone to failure, partly due to being Omrons which are generally not great switches, and partly due to Logitech running them out of spec in their wireless mice. But switches are easy enough to replace, and aside from that Logitech is out there with Kone in terms of build quality.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 15, 2020

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I applaud the craftsmanship and audacity to defy convention in the design of that Zaunkoenig mouse, but I'm not willing to give up the mouse wheel and thumb buttons like they are. I'm fine with that shape but I still need my utility; even if you ignore non-gaming tasks there's too many UIs and such where a wheel is useful, and their argument that your can simply rebind your thumb button actions is less compelling when you look past their turn-of-the-century examples and think about games published within the last decade.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I wouldn't need side buttons if browsers implemented right click swipe left/right gestures Opera had :colbert:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Arzachel posted:

I wouldn't need side buttons if browsers implemented right click swipe left/right gestures Opera had :colbert:

Vivaldi (not coincidentally made by ex-opera guys iirc) has those:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

curiousCat posted:

G203 is $20-$30 and a great mouse. On par with the more expensive mice. Wireless mice that are similarly great tend to cost $50+ and even in the almost $100 camp.

Wireless is a massive upgrade for lots of tasks now that its latency is on par with wired and battery life is stellar.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 15, 2020

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Steelseries Rival 3 is also $30 and really good

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

EVGA's doing a beta program for a new mouse. You can take a quick survey about your mouse preferences to have a chance at one of their beta mice if you're an EVGA elite member:
https://www.evga.com/articles/01428/evga-x17-promo/

I don't know if being a member requires owning any of their hardware; I think I signed up when I bought my GTX 1080 but I've also bought stuff from their B-stock store so that may be it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....well for one, it has a sniper button that's *actually in a goddamn useful spot*, so, it can't be any worse than a g503.