Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Do you realize how hard I would write novels about a DIS(tm)topia if I could get the clearance to do so?

Why get clearance. Just write a rights free book like Cory Doctorow did with Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom (which is basically Disney in a post-apocalyptic world where people live in the parks.)

That new Disney ad gives me BIG TIME Gremlins 2 end of the world video vibes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzhPzHhnFl0

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Wish me luck.

https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1281206794212257794?s=21

In line for FoP now. Posted wait is 5 mins. It's not really that short.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Maybe we need a thread title change “Walt Disney World/Disneyland for last-timers”

Really hoping that re-opening is not a massive mistake and the ruin of the company and costs many lives.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Zero, if someone throws a fit about wearing a mask, you make sure to film that poo poo and give it to us.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

couldcareless posted:

Zero, if someone throws a fit about wearing a mask, you make sure to film that poo poo and give it to us.

So far very good compliance. It's also very empty right now. You could take your mask off for a break and have no one around you for 100 feet (they do have designated break areas too).

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1281232430112923650?s=21

Pretty empty so far

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
That's surprising, I figured it would be packed. I wonder if Magic Kingdom is a different story?

Is everything open to the public, or still cast members only today?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Today is the Passholder preview, I had a slot for the MK one today but couldn’t get off work so I won’t make it.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

WhiteHowler posted:

That's surprising, I figured it would be packed. I wonder if Magic Kingdom is a different story?

Is everything open to the public, or still cast members only today?

Today is Annual Passholders only, a bit busier than the cast day.

There are two AP days, but you can only go to DAK or MK, and you only get one choice as far as I know. So MK probably winds up being the default choice, thus much less crowded at DAK. At Universal the Annual Passholder day was actually more crowded than the general opening day.

Someone doing a live stream from Magic Kingdom today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6zffe8kwZY

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tomapot posted:

Really hoping that re-opening is not a massive mistake and the ruin of the company and costs many lives.

Maybe that'd finally put a stop to the endless copyright term extensions at the behest of Disney.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Everything is a walk on at AK right now. Including Flight of Passage. They really limited the amount of people today. Not sure how many more will show up on Saturday.

Also... Baby!

https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1281287092954374145?s=21

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The ebayers have arrived

tomapot posted:

Narrator: "It was."

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
What are those?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Splash mountain plushes. The boxes in the WDW themed bags are probably...funko pops? Just a random guess. it's all Splash merch, though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Silly Burrito posted:

What are those?

20 bucks says Splash Mountain merch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Disney...JYAAOSwfHJfB1a6

So dumb.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

skipdogg posted:

20 bucks says Splash Mountain merch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Disney...JYAAOSwfHJfB1a6

So dumb.

Wow, someone actually bought one of those. What the gently caress?

I mean, this isn't even going down like, in a week or something.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Ah yes as we all know the brand new ride will instantly appear tomorrow

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tim Whatley posted:

Ah yes as we all know the brand new ride will instantly appear tomorrow

It will be great. It will be big. It will be beautiful.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I hope I get to the parks one more time before Splash Mountain closes. But lol if they think Disney isn't going to milk the merch for all their worth.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Let's be honest, Disney is bleeding cash right now and they haven't even sorta broken ground on splash. That ride ain't gonna be closed until 2022 at the soonest with the new one probably 2024

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

couldcareless posted:

Let's be honest, Disney is bleeding cash right now and they haven't even sorta broken ground on splash. That ride ain't gonna be closed until 2022 at the soonest with the new one probably 2024

They haven't even designed it yet, it'll probably take longer than that. Splash is probably the most complicated ride at Magic Kingdom.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Zero One posted:

Everything is a walk on at AK right now. Including Flight of Passage. They really limited the amount of people today. Not sure how many more will show up on Saturday.

Reports out of MK today also look rosy.

I think what's most frustrating is that it looks like Disney is doing things reasonably well. But it's like the This Is Fine dog; he's fine, but literally surrounded by fire, and its only a matter of time until everything burns. Absent the rest of the state of Florida and the country itself, I'd almost be optimistic about our still (for now) scheduled trip in September.

Obviously all this could change when the parks open to the public, but.

https://twitter.com/Attractions/status/1281339722451886082

Boxman fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 9, 2020

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I wasn't aware there was gonna be designated areas for food and water. That's actually a good idea on curbing that.
Until enforcement goes out the window. (I hope enforcement never goes out the window....)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
E wrong thread

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Zero, were Dawa Bar or Thirsty River open when you were there? We've got AK tomorrow and whether we go or not is sort of dependent on that. I know Nomad Lounge was open without bar seating.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I assume Splash will stay open throughout the full year long celebration for the 50th.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Dawa was not open today although they have the "Stand Here" markings set up.

Thirsty River was open but I only looked at it briefly while going into Everest so I'm not sure if the menu is limited or anything.

I'll post some more thoughts later but overall it went well... with the very limited number of people allowed in. Cast members kept commenting to me and themselves wondering how Saturday would go and if it would be busier. No one is sure yet.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

couldcareless posted:

I wasn't aware there was gonna be designated areas for food and water. That's actually a good idea on curbing that.
Until enforcement goes out the window. (I hope enforcement never goes out the window....)

Well there is supposed to be a relaxation station where you can comfortably take off your mask and breathe that beautiful summer corona air.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Mask compliance was really good. So good that I never saw anyone needing to be told by a CM to mask up. Not even anyone who appeared to have a drink just so they could walk without a mask (which I saw a lot at the Springs). Most people with drinks pulled their mask down to take a sip and then put it back on.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Saturday is the real test. I don't expect it to be nearly as smooth as today. The general public suck. Especially in Florida. Especially the ones willing to go back on opening day during this mess.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

APs are not representative of the general public who are assholes. Saturday is going to be the start of a whole bunch of death sentences.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

lol jesus christ, people.

https://twitter.com/GooleyChris/status/1281397487903879169

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Thoughts from today's AK preview:

1. Parking and security. I waited about 5 mins in traffic to park at 8am and it wasn't a big deal. I do wonder if they will run out of spaces if they plan to scale up the number of reservations allowed. At the end of the day it looked like they had filled the "north" lots and at least one of the "south" lots with just the limited AP guests. I usually walk in from the AK lot so no tram wasn't a huge deal for me but I wonder why they don't think they can modify the trams to work?

Security was super quick. Just 2 guests in front of me for temperature scan and then after that I just walked through the new scanners without stopping. MUCH better than the bag check lines. Total time: about 3 minutes.

2. Masks. Guests overall did a very good job wearing masks. I never saw anyone walking around without a mask (like I have seen at Disney Springs) and I never saw any cast member need to "remind" anyone. Even guests with drinks usually pulled their masks down to take a sip and then put it back up. Break areas existed but I only ever saw a few people there. The park was empty enough that if you wanted a break you could just step off to the side somewhere and there would be no one within 100 feet of you.

As for personal comfort, I tried two different types today. First a cotton Disney mask which worked pretty well but got a little wet from my sweat/breath/humidity. Breathing was as fine as it could be. After lunch I switched to a disposable paper mask and honestly I really couldn't tell the difference. Mayyyybe the paper was a little easier to wear. It didn't trap moisture as much as the cotton. If you can get both try them out at home first and be sure to bring spares in case you need to switch them out.

3. Crowds. Clearly the number of APs they let in was very limited. Even the cast members were commenting on it throughout the day and wondering if Saturday would be similar or busier. Disney was clearly being very cautious today and with hardly any lines for anything the changes they've made (spread out queues, limited attractions and stores, etc) didn't have much impact on my day. It would be VERY premature to make any predictions on how the full reopening will go over the coming days and weeks just from these previews.

I kind of liked the emptiness. It was a unique experience that probably wont happen again. Quite a few times I was the only person on a walkway or in an area and it felt like I had the place to myself. For the record: 3x FOP, 2x NRJ, 3x KS, 1x EE, 3x Dino

4. Entertainment. The character boats were OK but I only ever saw one up close. They zip by fast which I guess is the point but they just kind of... existed? The bird show was fine. All the bird behavior classics you remember from Flights of Wonder and UP.

5. Food. I ate at Satu'li Canteen using the mobile ordering and it went smoothly. Each station inside is now a numbered pickup window and your phone will tell you which window as your order. Beverages were no longer self serve but you can still get refills. Food was as great as ever. There were swarms of cast members doing full cleanings of tables after guests left.

6. Attraction changes. The queues mostly worked fine but often there would be an odd stretch with no standing area (usually because it came close to other standing zones) and that would really confuse guests. Even trying their best to follow the rules often guests ended up standing in a "no standing" area because the spots in front and behind were taken when they mistakenly moved forward. A few areas had plexiglass in the queues but not everywhere... it was in a small part of the Navi River queue and the last stretch of Safaris and Flight of Passage.

River Journey had 1 party per boat so I got to ride by myself. I also rode Dinosaur alone but they had barriers between the 1st and 2nd rows and were loading rows 1 and 3 if there were enough people in line (which there was not). They also had the pre-show running on the loop and markings on the floor to turn the room into more queue. Flight of Passage put at least one riding seat between parties and the safety video is played in both pre-show rooms (at the same time) so parties can spread out. The safari trucks were loading all rows with plastic barriers between them. They were difficult to see through so your only clear views were out the sides which worked but wasn't ideal. Everest was loading every other row.

For the animals there wasn't really any sort of "stand here" stickers for the viewing spots. The only place that had this was the gorillas. There were 4 "party dots" in front of the glass and guests needed to line up if they wanted to see the family.

7. Safety. It is hard to judge how "safe" everything was because there were so few guests there. It felt perfectly safe when you are the only one walking through the Flight of Pass queue! How well everything works long term and with more guests will be something we need to see.

Disney took cleaning seriously. I already mentioned the table cleaning but the rides also were cleaned... every 20 minutes or so. For some reason they seemed to do this all at once at several rides (Navi and Dinosaur) which caused everything to stop. It probably would be better for operations if they could find a way to just be constantly cleaning one ride vehicle while others are still loaded. The first time I rode Safaris there was a cleaning crew of 3 CMs at the exit who went to work as soon as we exited. The next two times there was no one. I'm not sure what changed there?

For your personal health make sure you stay hydrated. I spent more on bottled drinks today then I have in the past couple years in total. Water fountains were available but I didn't want to try using one.

8. Wrap up. Overall it was a good day for me. I got to ride a lot of rides without waiting and saw a lot of animals (baby Flamingos!). For the most part it felt like a very slow day at the park. It would have been amazing except for the sense of dread about the virus surrounding everything. I look forward to see how Disney manages increased crowd levels and how they respond if the virus situation continues to get worse.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Don't die, Z. But also I'm super jealous you got to ride FOP 3x. Was anybody even in Windtraders?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Don't die, Z. But also I'm super jealous you got to ride FOP 3x. Was anybody even in Windtraders?

No. It also appeared to only be open for guests who were exiting FOP.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Disney hasn't sent out the instructions on how to cancel your Annual Pass if you're on the monthly plan yet, right? We want to make sure we don't get charged when we have zero plans on going back this year or probably next either.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Nanigans posted:

Disney hasn't sent out the instructions on how to cancel your Annual Pass if you're on the monthly plan yet, right? We want to make sure we don't get charged when we have zero plans on going back this year or probably next either.

I have not seen anything beyond the "information will come out in early July"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

This is probably more of a question for the customer service fairies, but

We got the yearly Annual Passholder plan in early 2018 just before the price bump. So we're grandfathered in to the same price for renewal. Obviously we're going to cancel our APs and take the refund offer since we enjoy being alive. Is it outrageous to hope we can still get the grandfathered-in price once the corpses have been cleaned out of the parks and we want to go back?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes. Once you cancel a company's service, you’re no longer a customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Went to AK for AP previews today. Rode FOP, Navi River Journey, the safari, and Everest x2 in less than two hours. Extremely uncrowded, everyone wore masks, wearing masks in the parks during the heat of day sucks, and everything feels very off-putting and not a whole lot of fun.

Still plan to cancel our APs once we're able to.