Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the idea that everyone taking part in a revolution has to have all of their policy details and be prepared to debate is ridiculous; people know enough to know that the current policing system is broken, and abolition is the position that it can’t be reformed so it needs to be done away with. having a series of bulletpoints as demands when people ask you what you want is sufficient to march in the streets even if you have’t read the bread book and kapital

and yes the rallying cries tend to be overly simplistic; that’s why they’re rallying cries and not detailed platforms. you can’t chant out a sensibly written atlantic article without doing a couple of laps around the neighborhood and boring the gently caress out of everyone. there are a lot of realities to protest and movement that people are blissfully unaware of and it makes it easy for people who aren’t out doing the work to be like “hm hm ignorant rioters did you read your bookchin, have you prepared your thesis on what a post-police world looks like”

i’ll also add that there are a lot of people who advocate for dismantling capitalism as a whole who have no idea what the gently caress that would actually look like and entail beyond a spontaneous redistribution of capital and resources that’s never gonna loving happen and they don’t get piled on nearly as much; maybe their optics are better who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

V. Illych L. posted:

re police racism, the thesis is not and cannot be that police is racist because every individual working for the police is racist, because that is obviously untrue and insane

the problem is that the way police - and especially american police - is structured, they are left with holding the bag for the deep failures of the rest of american society, which turns the attention of the state monopoly of violence from maintaining its legitimacy (through, you know, tracking down murderers etc) to constantly trying to reestablish its monopoly of violence from the people left behind by the rest of society, who are primarily minority groups. that they've been powerfully incentivised to arrest and stop etc. as many people as possible also factors into this, but it's a systematic and societal problem that is much broader than just the police.

this matters, because focussing more narrowly on the police means that one is tempted to go where it may be downright counterproductive - so for instance, breaking the police unions will almost certainly involve accepting more general anti-union legislation and while it's likely that it'll produce more accountability in the sense that police are suddenly likely to actually be sacked, it's not realistically going to reduce the violence or the mass arrests precisely because it's not really a matter of individual vice a lot of the time. it also means that abolition is a dangerous slogan, because it's very hard to defend if you're not deeply into a fairly specific ideological space - intuitively, it fundamentally makes the libertarian claim that the political state can only make things worse and that government intervention is bad, which is the opposite of true in the case of police violence

I mean, it sounds like you're describing a pretty racist institution there; one that effectively, if not even purposefully victimizes minorities. I don't think it's a stretch to say that anyone who works for such an institution is a racist. Sure, there's a lot of people who would argue at length about all the ways we can do, say or think racist stuff and not be a racist, but they're already getting plenty of airtime and I don't think we really want to be helping those guys out.

Also, there's no evidence to support the implication that most people would be down with police reform if only it was suggested more cleverly or more politely. Libs and conservatives will oppose anything that threatens their conception of law and order. The former is only ever moved to a compromise if you scare them, and because of how entrenched these power structures are they can only ever be moved the slightest of amounts. If you believe in reform, abolition is a good slogan because it might actually result in some sort of compromise; safe, pragmatic and reasonable suggestions or demands can and almost always are dismissed out of hand.

If you don't believe in reform then this moment is still good because you'd want as volatile of a political situation as possible, you'd want the class divides and abuses of power to be made as clear as possible, you'd want more people to be radicalized, or maybe you just feel it's good and moral to engage in an uprising right now. Insisting this is counterproductive comes close to lib poo poo, because what exactly is the productive alternative here?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Declan MacManus posted:

i’ll also add that there are a lot of people who advocate for dismantling capitalism as a whole who have no idea what the gently caress that would actually look like and entail beyond a spontaneous redistribution of capital and resources that’s never gonna loving happen and they don’t get piled on nearly as much; maybe their optics are better who knows

I'm also pretty sure there's been a lot that's been said in leftist theory specifically about how you can't / shouldn't try to prescribe a future vision of the world, whole cloth, in the first place, because that's just unrealistically utopian.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

thotsky posted:

I mean, it sounds like you're describing a pretty racist institution there; one that effectively, if not even purposefully victimizes minorities. I don't think it's a stretch to say that anyone who works for such an institution is a racist. Sure, there's a lot of people who would argue at length about all the ways we can do, say or think racist stuff and not be a racist, but they're already getting plenty of airtime and I don't think we really want to be helping those guys out.

Also, there's no evidence to support the implication that most people would be down with police reform if only it was suggested more cleverly or more politely. Libs and conservatives will oppose anything that threatens their conception of law and order. The former is only ever moved to a compromise if you scare them, and because of how entrenched these power structures are they can only ever be moved the slightest of amounts. If you believe in reform, abolition is a good slogan because it might actually result in some sort of compromise; safe, pragmatic and reasonable suggestions or demands can and almost always are dismissed out of hand.

If you don't believe in reform then this moment is still good because you'd want as volatile of a political situation as possible, you'd want the class divides and abuses of power to be made as clear as possible, you'd want more people to be radicalized, or maybe you just feel it's good and moral to engage in an uprising right now. Insisting this is counterproductive comes close to lib poo poo, because what exactly is the productive alternative here?

i don't think that the criticism is trying to go where you think it's trying to go

it's not 'these protests bad', it's 'this is a bad slogan for the moment'. the chapo line has pretty consistently been supportive of the protest as such

it's absolutely worth trying to keep ideological criticism going, lest the moment just morph into a union busting project or something

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

like, crossing out most of a pretty bare-bones post is pretty on the nose as 'no we absolutely do not need to think about poo poo beyond accepting an immediate impulse as correct'

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/allahliker/status/1281563063712350208?s=20

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

told y'all

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

this is the episode they wanted to make but couldn't as long as the subreddit existed, because it would make fun of them and they're shame piggies

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Oneiros posted:

even beyond the fact that there are not large protests in every loving state every loving day of every loving week for the better part of two loving months now calling for "medicare for all" this is a disingenuous as gently caress and you should feel bad for doing it

oh sorry right there was only just a comparably loving massive electoral movement for four years. And all the libs spent that whole time trying to bog people down with "but how are you going to accomplish that? What are the details? What's the path to actually getting it accomplished?" etc. And then, when confronted, respond with a moralistic critique rather than a substantive one (ironically the exact loving thing that the cancel culture people are complaining about)

Of course if we actually WERE talking about M4A Amber would just (rightfully) call those people wreckers who ought to be ignored

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

One of the signatories was someone who "got cancelled" over trying a black Subway worker for snacking during a break over twitter! There's good indications that the letter itself was a Persuation project, even.

Then again this is somewhat a consequence of being very, very kind interviewers, to the point you easily could get two pods about the exact same geo-political event with two different guests (The Lava Jato Process with Benjamin Vogel and Glenn Greenwald) with two entirely different takes. Amber (and others) did argue for ACAB and such on previous episodes, it just happened that their guest happened to not agree with that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jesse Singal is a transphobic piece of poo poo.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

chapo guys don't know how to disagree - tbf iirc amber is the one most likely to disagree with a guest - and it is a bad look, like, if you can't show some backbone because you invited someone who is making Bad Opinions, come on

also asking if the russian revolution is a positive example by its consequent factors also means that any revolution is bad, including the american one, because jfc wtf is this man up to

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

zegermans posted:

this is the episode they wanted to make but couldn't as long as the subreddit existed, because it would make fun of them and they're shame piggies

Had this same thought run through my head when I was listening to this episode.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

there was a place where the police were completely ineffective and prudent citizenry took it upon themselves to assume their duties. these people created small, family run firms that policed their neighbourhoods and set up an effective system of taxation to keep these community protection organizations fully funded. they eventually scaled up to become a transnational organization with franchises all over the world, engaged in a vast array of profitable enterprises. so don't ever tell me we can't function without the police.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the only chapo member who halfway paid attention to the reddit was matt, and he’s not personally approving episodes based on the fact that r/chapotraphouse got shutdown. get a grip

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
i don't think they are CANCELLED or some poo poo I just think this recent episode wasn't very good

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

but thats fine. I'll keep drinking that garbage anyway.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Lady Militant posted:

i don't think they are CANCELLED or some poo poo I just think this recent episode wasn't very good

nah, far from it, however it makes for a good experience if they are willing to consider why it was bad

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Taibbi's argument flattens class relations and makes no sense. He starts out by saying that reporters afraid of questioning Russiagate is much like reporters afraid of questioning the protests right now. But they are nothing at all alike. The first is reporters afraid of their editors for questioning the Russia story, the second is them afraid of criticism from their readers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Eegah! posted:

I think Taibbi almost made a pretty lovely point with the American history is not of white supremacy, but I think he was trying to say that American history isn't JUST that, it is in fact many things. So to adapt the 1619 project as US History curriculum would make people mad and turn them off to those ideas.
I think I need to read this 1619 Project thing, because I've heard a lot of criticism of it but I don't know what it's about. My impression is that it's more of the kind of Afro-pessimism that ultimately just excuses white supremacy and capitalism.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gh0stpinballa posted:

there was a place where the police were completely ineffective and prudent citizenry took it upon themselves to assume their duties. these people created small, family run firms that policed their neighbourhoods and set up an effective system of taxation to keep these community protection organizations fully funded. they eventually scaled up to become a transnational organization with franchises all over the world, engaged in a vast array of profitable enterprises. so don't ever tell me we can't function without the police.

"We should use the Mormon church as a model" is not a take I was expecting to see.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
It's bad folks.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

dead gay comedy forums posted:

nah, far from it, however it makes for a good experience if they are willing to consider why it was bad

yeah; like hopefully this leads to some introspection by them that makes the podcast better. i think a better argument to make against the concept of cancellation than the one taibbi makes is that generally people want to the thing they are consuming to stick around so adjusting that thing to be back within the boundaries that are acceptable so it can stay around is more productive than getting rid of it entirely. the nature of the universe is change, to push against it is to be crushed by it (eventually).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Declan MacManus posted:

the idea that everyone taking part in a revolution has to have all of their policy details and be prepared to debate is ridiculous; people know enough to know that the current policing system is broken, and abolition is the position that it can’t be reformed so it needs to be done away with. having a series of bulletpoints as demands when people ask you what you want is sufficient to march in the streets even if you have’t read the bread book and kapital

and yes the rallying cries tend to be overly simplistic; that’s why they’re rallying cries and not detailed platforms. you can’t chant out a sensibly written atlantic article without doing a couple of laps around the neighborhood and boring the gently caress out of everyone. there are a lot of realities to protest and movement that people are blissfully unaware of and it makes it easy for people who aren’t out doing the work to be like “hm hm ignorant rioters did you read your bookchin, have you prepared your thesis on what a post-police world looks like”
I once went to a protest where several people had prepared call-and-response chants to yell over a bullhorn. I walked next to one of these people, who looked like a stereotype of the SJW that Ben Shapiro goes after. She tried to read an entire essay, which was worded like a term paper, and hand to quit because she lost her voice trying to shout it all in the summer heat.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

chapo guys don't know how to disagree - tbf iirc amber is the one most likely to disagree with a guest - and it is a bad look, like, if you can't show some backbone because you invited someone who is making Bad Opinions, come on
I was disappointed in Taibbi for defending the NYT in his article, and disappointed in Will for not pushing back against that, of all things.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I think I need to read this 1619 Project thing, because I've heard a lot of criticism of it but I don't know what it's about. My impression is that it's more of the kind of Afro-pessimism that ultimately just excuses white supremacy and capitalism.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/06/1619-project-new-york-times-mistake-122248

is a good primer.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gripweed posted:

"We should use the Mormon church as a model" is not a take I was expecting to see.

I thought it was about this thing of ours.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Amber pointing out that a portion of the left have latched onto deeply unpopular "radical" ideas that they will never actually have to try to implement because popular, easy to implement ideas are actually too much for them but they still want to feel "good" about themselves hit a little close to home for some folks, I guess. She's also dead right that police abolition is largely unpopular with the people its ostensibly trying to help. Taibbi and Amber can have lovely takes, but them pointing out how performative and pointless alot of the rhetoric from twitter leftists and liberals are in the current moment isn't really all that controversial.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I once went to a protest where several people had prepared call-and-response chants to yell over a bullhorn. I walked next to one of these people, who looked like a stereotype of the SJW that Ben Shapiro goes after. She tried to read an entire essay, which was worded like a term paper, and hand to quit because she lost her voice trying to shout it all in the summer heat.

as any singer in a hardcore punk band will tell you, economy of language is key when you’re raising your voice

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Amber pointing out that a portion of the left have latched onto deeply unpopular "radical" ideas that they will never actually have to try to implement because popular, easy to implement ideas are actually too much for them but they still want to feel "good" about themselves hit a little close to home for some folks, I guess. She's also dead right that police abolition is largely unpopular with the people its ostensibly trying to help. Taibbi and Amber can have lovely takes, but them pointing out how performative and pointless alot of the rhetoric from twitter leftists and liberals are in the current moment isn't really all that controversial.

at worst, “abolish the police” pushes the overton window farther in the direction of actual, meaningful change and gives protests some room to come towards the middle

compromising on your demands before you’ve even gotten to the negotiation is what the kids call “wishy washy liberal horseshit”; personally i do want abolition of the police and the carceral system as a whole and i do have an idea of what that would look like (elected community policing with no qualified immunity and no lethal or semi-lethal munitions) but i know i probably won’t get it in my lifetime, and i’m not especially concerned with what establishment dems think because we’re working outside of the electoral system

the majority of americans (59% going by a politico poll from a month ago) think the police need reform but only 27% actually support defunding the police (49% of democrats) so going at it from “defund and reform” is only going to push the conversation towards police reform which is f u c k i n g w o r t h l e s s

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

"you're wrong about" is pretty good; a lot of their topics aren't so much things people get wrong in pop culture, but actually doing a deep explanation of various pop culture phenomenons. They had a really cool one about the Ford Pinto that i"m too lazy to do my research on if it's correct, so I'm assuming it is.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Amber pointing out that a portion of the left have latched onto deeply unpopular "radical" ideas that they will never actually have to try to implement

this is literal joe biden campaign talking point lmao

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Which of the Chapos is going to be the first to use the reaction to newest episode as proof that cancel culture is real?

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

dunno if i should respect amber for riden with biden or not. powerful troll game no mater what I'll give her that

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

MizPiz posted:

Which of the Chapos is going to be the first to use the reaction to newest episode as proof that cancel culture is real?

Will's class interests and deep media connections are inevitably going to combine with middle aged white guy brain disease imo but that's probably years off

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Militant posted:

this is literal joe biden campaign talking point lmao

Sounds like this Joe guy has his head on straight

Declan MacManus posted:

at worst, “abolish the police” pushes the overton window farther in the direction of actual, meaningful change and gives protests some room to come towards the middle

There is no "overton window" being pushed, people just know to ignore people with these types of ridiculous demands.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Best Friends posted:

Will's class interests and deep media connections are inevitably going to combine with middle aged white guy brain disease imo but that's probably years off

i think he’s almost 40 — he’s talked about being a college freshman during 9/11

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

MizPiz posted:

Amber

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Best Friends posted:

If hating elite media doesn't make him turn class traitor, nothing will

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I'm not even 20 mintues in and this is a mess. Like yes the only reason liberals care right now about the systemic racism in America is Trump and the second he's gone they'll go back to not caring. Nut Taibbi just doesn't seem to like the idea that the concept of America was white supremacist from the get go. Come the gently caress on, if it wasn't you would think they'd be a hell of a lot more natives still around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Sounds like this Joe guy has his head on straight

There is no "overton window" being pushed, people just know to ignore people with these types of ridiculous demands.

you’re enthusiastically voting for joe biden don’t talk to me like you’re people