Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm pretty excited about those adjustments for Wild, I'm up to Diamond 7 and around Diamond 10 things changed from the wild west to 70% Odd DH and Pirate Warrior, 20% Secret Mage and Cube Warlock, and 10% anything else.

Hench-Clan Thug combined with Warglaives of Azzinoth is loving degenerate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Tin Tim posted:

Throwing out box on 6 or a turn earlier with the coin is poo poo and deserved some form of nerf

The 8 mana spells have less direct impact(outside of creation high-rolls) so them being hit too is an unfortunate side effect

It's almost like mana cheating has been a constant source of broken poo poo in card games :ssh:

If a mage is tossing down box on turn 5 or 6 that means either they have nothing better to do or they’re throwing a hail mary because its their only out. They’d much rather be playing Freeze/Creation in that spot if they could. Playing Dragoncaster is frequently the critical turn for Highlander Mage because it can dump a bunch of wildly undercosted stats on board, not because it can go all-in on a complete unknown.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

World War Mammories posted:

play more, get better, go face

going face is all i know, i just think the current decks out there are very anti-dragon hunter at this rank.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I can't think of the last time a mage played puzzle box and wound up behind as a result. It seems like an inexplicably good play at all points, due to the spells in standard.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

ptroll posted:

I can't think of the last time a mage played puzzle box and wound up behind as a result. It seems like an inexplicably good play at all points, due to the spells in standard.

It’s more likely to end up in the caster’s favor but bad outcomes, even catastrophically bad ones, are well within the realm of possibility.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
It's something favorable like 66% of the time.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i feel like i see it backfire more often than not.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Spell Mage with one Yogg-Boxx has been my main deck most of this expansion and in my experience the "best" or maximum leverage situation for it is something like staring down the barrel of a 2-turn lethal, outnumbered something like 4-2 on board. You can hit straight-up board clears, AOE like Blizzard or Flamestrike, a couple things that buff/taunt your minions, card draw that can let you recover on the next turn, "fill the board with trash" spells, etc.

Sometimes you just get hilarious poo poo like two of the "give your hero +5 attack this turn" spell and just decimate their board with other stuff then go 10 the face from nowhere to win. That feels good.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

This was one of my favorite games I have ever played of BG

I found the baron my first turn on 10 gold and golded it the next turn with 2 parrots and the gold kaboombot. Most games ended before the kaboombot even attacked.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
e: ^^^^^ I've lost to this exact setup more or less at least a couple of times and every time I go into the round I think "jeez this is a weak parrot build" and then i get completely wiped lol. Its even funnier when you're also playing parrots and your setup is looking great but they attack first and their first parrot kills your whole board in the exact wrong order to leave your taunt minion standing and nothing else

everyone that is good at battlegrounds tells me that rafaam is a top tier pick still and I can't think of any reason why any particular lobby might be better or worse for him specifically but I cannot get a top 4 finish with him at 5.5k for the life of me and its driving me mental bc I actually like playing him and thought I had a pretty good handle on how to breeze into top 4 with him before the tribe omissions were introduced, but ever since then I've just been on struggle street with him.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 10, 2020

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Dust everything that gets nerfed and recraft them if you decide you want them back, I say

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So if I have a golden metamorphosis how much dust will I get after the nerf

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
3200 :toot:

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Such a loving shitshow. 24 out of a 30 card DH deck have been nerfed at this point.

Which scenario is more tolerable - Blizzard are so incompetent as to so badly balance this? Or they are greedy enough to go ahead and release this poo poo?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

kaesarsosei posted:

Such a loving shitshow. 24 out of a 30 card DH deck have been nerfed at this point.

Which scenario is more tolerable - Blizzard are so incompetent as to so badly balance this? Or they are greedy enough to go ahead and release this poo poo?

Most of those cards are free.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

everyone that is good at battlegrounds tells me that rafaam is a top tier pick still and I can't think of any reason why any particular lobby might be better or worse for him specifically but I cannot get a top 4 finish with him at 5.5k for the life of me and its driving me mental bc I actually like playing him and thought I had a pretty good handle on how to breeze into top 4 with him before the tribe omissions were introduced, but ever since then I've just been on struggle street with him.

Rafaam isn't top tier anymore, just Tier A, and on the lower end.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

RatHat posted:

Most of those cards are free.

Blizz clearly made a conscious decision to release DH sooner to maximise the revenue from new/returning players rather than taking the time to balance it properly

and yeah the basic DH deck is really good but that just means that anyone who wanted to compete with it had to spend to upgrade to the top tier of whatever else they were playing

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The best part about the DH card nerfs is how many of those “nerfed” cards are still 100% good

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Imagine nerfing a card to 2 mana deal 4 damage.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Trip Report: I brought the stupid Highlander Tempo DH deck to the Masters Qualifier today and it was banned in both rounds :geno:

(granted both opponents happened to bring anti-warrior lineups, but still)

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Realise that DH and AoS are getting rightfully called out for being incredibly pushed, but can we also acknowledge this nonsense started with DoD?

That set has resulted in 16 cards nerfed/changed as of now.

Starting to think sets that have purposely high power levels aren't healthy for the game and lead to unfun metas :thunk:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

OTOH, Rastakhan had more or less the same stagnation happen when they tried to play it safe.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Realise that DH and AoS are getting rightfully called out for being incredibly pushed, but can we also acknowledge this nonsense started with DoD?

That set has resulted in 16 cards nerfed/changed as of now.

Starting to think sets that have purposely high power levels aren't healthy for the game and lead to unfun metas :thunk:

Things like mana cheating and Zephyrs dont lead to interesting interactions, just frustration when your opponent high rolls (or really any time Zephyrs gets played). It seems like awful game design but Im just a dad legend guy so maybe Im wrong.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I think Eudora is the most tilting hero in battlegrounds. I just had a game where I got gold murloc tidehunter, then gold alleycat as my 2 dug minions. I was on tier 2 for the first so whatever, but I was on tier FUCKIN FIVE for the second one. There is nothing worse than seeing that bullshit in this whole game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I had a Wild match earlier today with my Libram Paladin versus Reno Priest. It went back and forth for a long time with neither of us gaining ground, until I played Lynessa Sunsorrow (the one who casts every spell you’ve cast on friendly minions on herself) after he’d used up all of his hard removal earlier.

He played a free Ysera, Awakened from DQ Alexstrasza... And I swear I could feel his soul leaving his body as he realized he couldn’t activate Reno when I was one giant swing away from winning.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

PneumonicBook posted:

Things like mana cheating and Zephyrs dont lead to interesting interactions, just frustration when your opponent high rolls (or really any time Zephyrs gets played). It seems like awful game design but Im just a dad legend guy so maybe Im wrong.

Zephrys isn't too bad IMO. He can act to close out close games, but that's where Highland restrictions matter in terms of limited card availability. Otherwise, you have to use him carefully around your mana crystals and board state to keep him useful. DQ Alex, while I do like her, was more high-rolling and less skillful in my opinion.

I'm a little biased against DH for a few reasons. First, they seem to BM at a high rate than any other class I've played against, but that seems to have dropped as the nerfs hit and the meta settled. Second, a DH with a 1'cost Altruis cleared my vastly superior board and hit me hard in the face at the time I made D1 3 stars and I couldn't make it back after that. Third, I'd have preferred the monk if they were dead set on adding a new class. It could fill kind of a tempo priest role, healing minions and using them on curve with moderate card draw but instead we got hyper aggro. Not the worst thing and still fun most of the time, but definitely a step down from Year of the Dragon. Looking forward to the next expansion now.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Lead VFX Artist Hadidjah Chamberlin leaves HS for another Blizz project.

https://twitter.com/hadidjahb/status/1281732019244855296

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't even remember the last time I lost to a DH now, lol.

Also congrats to blizzardo n making backstab and shadowstep even lower rolls

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
I wish Blizzard would just tell us the DH deck they want people to play instead of nerfing every card...

I'll miss being able to beat priests by running them over though. It's a nice feeling.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
I strongly suspect the amount of priests are going to explode because right now I am still fighting 19%+ priests and have teched in two silences to handle it.

DH is degenerate as hell, but it was the only thing keeping several decks honest.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Imagine donking Murlocs so hard,...

in a lobby with TWO Funglemancer Flurgls,...

that you end with perfect health and the game is over on Turn 12...

as Alextraza.

(Turn 10 board)

(add Windfury + Divine Shield for the final fight)

In ~2000 games this is my 3rd ever Perfect game, just :barf: at this highroll meta

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 12, 2020

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I'm trying to mess around in Wild Casual but I'm constantly queuing into stuff like Secret Mage, Reno Priest and Cubelock.

I would love a game mode where before every match you could ban exactly 1 card. So if I am fed up playing against Reno Priest, I could ban Raza. If Cubelock was getting to me I could ban Voidcaller etc.

I have no problem with these T1 decks in the meta - it's queuing into them in the casual game mode that's hard to take repeatedly.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

I'm trying to mess around in Wild Casual but I'm constantly queuing into stuff like Secret Mage, Reno Priest and Cubelock.

I would love a game mode where before every match you could ban exactly 1 card. So if I am fed up playing against Reno Priest, I could ban Raza. If Cubelock was getting to me I could ban Voidcaller etc.

I have no problem with these T1 decks in the meta - it's queuing into them in the casual game mode that's hard to take repeatedly.

Play ranked. Trust me. The casual queue is full of bad players with deep wallets who are frustrated at not ranking up quickly in ranked despite paying for all of their fancy cards. If you play ranked you will be matched with other players who are your skill level/deck level. It's much more enjoyable at any skill level.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Yeah... Because casual also uses your matchmaking, it's basically a wasteland now. Only time it's good is if you're testing a new deck when you're really close to reaching a new floor/ceiling.

I actually like the 'I don't want to face this card' idea.
Most people would absolutely choose a highlander card though, I'm sure.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, just choose OG Reno, and you’d ban virtually every single highlander deck in Wild.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
You could practically ban a class. Skipper or corsair cache for warrior. Almost any class card for DH.

It would be interesting to see if metadecks emerged that preyed on being unexpected.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

New meta is SO high-rolly.

This was on turn 12. I lost to a reno and only killed 1 minion on his board before I died from 31 health.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Yeah I used to play a few matches a week but dying from 20+ health while suffering from poor offerings while my opponents consistently build huge unstoppable boards just isn't fun anymore. Getting my own awesome board isn't as fun as it used to be because it feels like the game "allowed" me to do it this time, like it was my turn to win or have fun.

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Disargeria posted:

Yeah I used to play a few matches a week but dying from 20+ health while suffering from poor offerings while my opponents consistently build huge unstoppable boards just isn't fun anymore. Getting my own awesome board isn't as fun as it used to be because it feels like the game "allowed" me to do it this time, like it was my turn to win or have fun.

Same it caused me to stop playing battlegrounds entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ahahaha, gently caress this dude who had a perfect game going into the final 2 with me. He had a parrot beast board with Baron, and hit me decently the first matchup.

1 Zapp and 1 round later: