Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

flakeloaf posted:

the killology sheepdog slide made an appearance, and basically everyone failed the shoot-don't-shoot simulator because they weren't deescalating verbally, which tells you something about the mentality of a person who's literally just been handed a weapon

the problems really start when someone decides to fear for his life because he saw a nonwhite person

quoting myself whatever, this is the important part

yeah, a training failure can lead someone to make a stupid decision and start a use of force situation when they shouldn't, and those are bad, but once that situation's started, and someone's amped up and has the weapon in their hand, they aren't the person we paid the government to train; they're the person they are. if someone's a maniac or an authoritarian blowhard or a racist or a complete loving airhead that's gonna take us to exactly the bad place we are right now

we don't accept "but i was really drunk" as an excuse for doing something racist because you can't get so drunk that you turn racist; it's high time we stop accepting "but i was really scared" as a justification for that same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

cops have a monopoly on violence. If anyone is slightly violent, cops escalate until the other person cannot match what a cop can do and either then either dies or surrenders.

This is designed on purpose.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

went to wreck beach yesterday and a pair of RCMP wearing wraparound Oakleys, bulletproof vests, tasers, pistols, batons and spray cans came down 3 times to sweep for illegal activities or whatever. ridiculous

e: in recent years they still came down to the beach but those officers were not wearing milspec tacticlol getups, they had short sleeve shirts and shorts on, and not as heavily armed. I assume they are doing this because of their renewed mandate to enforce compliance with the pandemic orders

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Jul 5, 2020

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

to be clear tho I was exaggerating with that 90% figure

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

if you attack the police with a knife you're going to get shot even if they know you're mentally ill, but what idiot shows up to that call without a better plan than "just shoot him if he's violent"
Cop lives don't matter.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fashionable Jorts posted:

cops have a monopoly on violence. If anyone is slightly violent, cops escalate until the other person cannot match what a cop can do and either then either dies or surrenders.

This is designed on purpose.

unless you are actually are armed and driving around killing people. then they will leave you to your own devices for a while

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Rutibex posted:

unless you are actually are armed and driving around killing people. then they will leave you to your own devices for a while

he had a gun! That sounds scary! If I were a cop, I wouldn't want to go near that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Juul-Whip posted:

to be clear tho I was exaggerating with that 90% figure

for the use of force part at least, 90% seems pretty lean

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://marxist.ca/article/lessons-of-the-regina-co-op-refinery-lockout

quote:

Ultimately, what was needed to win this lockout was escalation with the help of the broader labour movement. Unions and labour federations could have mobilized their members to create a massive blockade with thousands of people, not just members of Unifor. Sympathy strikes could have put massive pressure on FCL and energized workers across Canada, recognizing that the fight of the refinery workers to defend their pensions was a fight of the entire working class.

By bringing in workers not directly involved, the movement could have become a broader political struggle. In this way, it might not only have ended the lockout on terms favourable for Unifor 594—but increased class consciousness and made workers more aware of their own power. It could have inspired workers to fight back against attacks in other sectors, to go on the offensive against the bosses, and even to build general strikes to bring down unpopular governments.

The lack of such concrete measures to widen the struggle can be laid at the feet of the right-wing leaders of unions and labour federations, who lacked the perspective and will to escalate the fight. But as bosses ramp up their attacks against workers in the future, such ineffectual labour leaders will be pushed aside. The growing militancy of rank-and-file workers, exemplified by the members of Unifor 594, will inevitably find its reflection in a new generation of radical labour leaders.

:hmmyes:

There's an opportunity to reinforce class consciousness that hasn't existed for fifty years; we just have to be ready to seize it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
new goon project, let's see if we can scrape together $60 million to buy Torstar

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

blatman posted:

i'm actually pretty sure 90% of official cop training is "how to not have any repercussions when you do monstrous poo poo"

the off-the-record training is open-palm slamming Bad Boys 2 into the VHS player every morning

I would bet you aren't far from the truth. I can't speak for cops, but I am ex-mil. It was a rare day that anyone actually told you how to cover stuff up, but from day one you are incentivized to do so. Immediately in bootcamp you are taught to value loyalty to the platoon, and thus the militiary by extension, over all else. If someone gets in trouble everyone gets in trouble, with an emphasis on that the problem was not what happened, but that the NCO's found out something happened. You are made to understand that if you are getting told to come forward and explain why something has happened and who did it, the last thing you should do is say anything. If no one speaks up the punishment is collective but not too bad, usually PT. If someone does speak up the responsible party is harshly punished, the group is also harshly punished, and whomever spoke up is going to get the poo poo beat out of them and the NCO's will also be out to get that person for breaking the code. You very quickly assimilate this info, and learn to never speak up, and cover everything up without question.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/kara_luisa/status/1280566436738379776?s=19

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I've seem a terrifying uptick in Qanon and adjacent conspiracy stuff over the last couple months. It's really getting into the groundwater. Most of the people I've seen get into it were already a bit off the beaten path, like a prominent local artist/hippy, or a fairly religious mom I went to school with, but its noticeable. I can't imagine what it looks like to the uninformed, it looks insane to me with context.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Virtual Russian posted:

I would bet you aren't far from the truth. I can't speak for cops, but I am ex-mil. It was a rare day that anyone actually told you how to cover stuff up, but from day one you are incentivized to do so. Immediately in bootcamp you are taught to value loyalty to the platoon, and thus the militiary by extension, over all else. If someone gets in trouble everyone gets in trouble, with an emphasis on that the problem was not what happened, but that the NCO's found out something happened. You are made to understand that if you are getting told to come forward and explain why something has happened and who did it, the last thing you should do is say anything. If no one speaks up the punishment is collective but not too bad, usually PT. If someone does speak up the responsible party is harshly punished, the group is also harshly punished, and whomever spoke up is going to get the poo poo beat out of them and the NCO's will also be out to get that person for breaking the code. You very quickly assimilate this info, and learn to never speak up, and cover everything up without question.

Ahhhh the monkeys on the ladder problem.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

As charming as I find qanon psychos online, it bothers me when they go offline and start vandalizing literally (I mean literally) every single street sign and promotional poster that gets put up in my neighborhood with poo poo like "VERY MURDERING 9 DEATHS ANTIFA" and "CLINTONS KILLED EPSTEIN" and "GEORGE SOROS FALSE FLAG TRUTH" and it's always the same guy because the handwriting is the exact same

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Virtual Russian posted:

I've seem a terrifying uptick in Qanon and adjacent conspiracy stuff over the last couple months. It's really getting into the groundwater. Most of the people I've seen get into it were already a bit off the beaten path, like a prominent local artist/hippy, or a fairly religious mom I went to school with, but its noticeable. I can't imagine what it looks like to the uninformed, it looks insane to me with context.

I'm pretty sure anybody not aware of qanon poo poo would see that post and think ".. do they think the fake drug Hunter S Thompson made up for his drug novel is real?"

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

As charming as I find qanon psychos online, it bothers me when they go offline and start vandalizing literally (I mean literally) every single street sign and promotional poster that gets put up in my neighborhood with poo poo like "VERY MURDERING 9 DEATHS ANTIFA" and "CLINTONS KILLED EPSTEIN" and "GEORGE SOROS FALSE FLAG TRUTH" and it's always the same guy because the handwriting is the exact same
whoever it is seems to prefer targeting BLM and LGBTQ posters

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I'm pretty sure anybody not aware of qanon poo poo would see that post and think ".. do they think the fake drug Hunter S Thompson made up for his drug novel is real?"

its a real drug

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenochrome

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Juul-Whip posted:

whoever it is seems to prefer targeting BLM and LGBTQ posters

I've seen them on basically anything/everything in East Van, event posters for shows and stuff like that.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
https://www.cp24.com/news/outcome-would-have-been-different-in-rideau-hall-incursion-if-suspect-was-not-white-singh-1.5015606

Singh continuing to 'reverse racism' us old stocks

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

“Our intervention, regardless of who the person is, is always based on the environment and the threat cues that are being posed,” he said. “It's got nothing to do with ethnicity, it's to do with the environment that we're in, the threat that we have, the analysis that the officer is making, the subject's behaviour and whatnot, the environment that's around us for tactical cover.”

the acronym is WEALTH not RACE but okay good job following the rules you're supposed to follow every time

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

our police always show great compassion, patience and tolerance for their fellow human beings

the problem is the very narrow definition of human being they have

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
this country sucks nutsack

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

https://www.canadalandshow.com/trudeau-family-paid-by-we-organization/

Hah hah Libs gon' lib.

Rise up NDP, rise up.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/CANADALAND/status/1281190613287755776

Between that and this I became a paid subscriber today.

Canadaland is good

e: On that link Jesse also says he's going to look into that story about the London area MPP's family member who got arrested with a ton of drugs and then the police asked the media to not report on it AFTER they issued a press release.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

What time frame/element was this, if you don't mind asking? I'm 17 years in and my experience is mostly the opposite, even as a minority. It as an aircrew trade in a field where expertise and positional authority commonly count for more than rank though, and we're encouraged to call out things that are dumb/dangerous/different. Not saying that the military isn't hosed up in many special ways, but there was a derail about this in the Mil Idiots thread yesterday and general consensus was 'hyper-patriotic war thirsty 19 year Marines old in Iraq were better behaved and had a culture less toxic than that of cops'.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

This was mid through late 2000's, Army, infantry trade. BMQ and SQ were particularly bad, we were also an all male platoon, something the NCO's frequently told us they were very happy about. They really pushed us hard, bragged that our platoon had the highest drop-out rate of that intake. We had a few complete breakdowns, including someone doing a partial Gomer Pyle, but with an unloaded mag. No idea what happened to him, taken away by MPs. There was gang-rape while I was there that got covered up and classified as frat, even as a dumb brainwashed teenager that really jaded me. My QL3 NCO's were a bit more professional in some ways, but way way more racist. One had just got back from Afghanistan and talked about shooting wounded Afghani's, saying we should do the same if we end up over there, that certainly left an impression. My actual unit was a lot more chill, we did have a few of those "if you don't stand behind the troops feel free to stand in front of them" types though. I'd hazard a lot of people were much better than cops, but imo the army suffers from very similar institutional problems. Transparency is seen as betrayal of the institution. The public is not explicitly the enemy though.

I could see the skilled trades being a lot more professional. I know a lot of people view them as very well paid apprenticeship programs. I however, was an idiot, got in initially as a signaler, and requested immediate transfer to infantry. Didn't learn much besides how to dig a really nice trench, sleep sitting upright in a moving truck, and be irresponsible with money.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Also we were always told the Air Force's idea of roughing it was staying at a Holiday Inn. If it weren't for the navy I'd say you guys were the butt of all our mil jokes.

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/ChiefTanner/status/1281239011881824258

halton police chief with the thinnest of skins

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Welp I just got laid off, time to go job hunting again. Any suggestions for the London region?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Terror Sweat posted:

Welp I just got laid off, time to go job hunting again. Any suggestions for the London region?

escape london and move to sudbury. when the american economy collapses you will be ahead of the refugees. instead of job hunting i suggest you learn deer hunting.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

But what about all my stuff

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's all in london, time to let go and move on

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

This was mid through late 2000's, Army, infantry trade. BMQ and SQ were particularly bad, we were also an all male platoon, something the NCO's frequently told us they were very happy about. They really pushed us hard, bragged that our platoon had the highest drop-out rate of that intake. We had a few complete breakdowns, including someone doing a partial Gomer Pyle, but with an unloaded mag. No idea what happened to him, taken away by MPs. There was gang-rape while I was there that got covered up and classified as frat, even as a dumb brainwashed teenager that really jaded me. My QL3 NCO's were a bit more professional in some ways, but way way more racist. One had just got back from Afghanistan and talked about shooting wounded Afghani's, saying we should do the same if we end up over there, that certainly left an impression. My actual unit was a lot more chill, we did have a few of those "if you don't stand behind the troops feel free to stand in front of them" types though. I'd hazard a lot of people were much better than cops, but imo the army suffers from very similar institutional problems. Transparency is seen as betrayal of the institution. The public is not explicitly the enemy though.

I could see the skilled trades being a lot more professional. I know a lot of people view them as very well paid apprenticeship programs. I however, was an idiot, got in initially as a signaler, and requested immediate transfer to infantry. Didn't learn much besides how to dig a really nice trench, sleep sitting upright in a moving truck, and be irresponsible with money.

I narrowly avoided being in a combat arm which I'm verrrrry thankful for now. Thinking back on it, most of the fratty clown show bullshit (functional alcoholism, assault, rape, etc) happened on training bases. At the tactical units some of the morale events get pretty boozy and toe the line of propriety pretty hard, but my past couple units have effectively self-policed that poo poo. One-on-one some people whinge about things being "too PC" but a) they're usually factually wrong and 2) if someone is being ironically non-bigoted then gently caress, we've won.

Virtual Russian posted:

Also we were always told the Air Force's idea of roughing it was staying at a Holiday Inn.

Oh man I'd have some stories to tell about this if it wouldn't doxx me. Let's just say that per diem deployments out of hotels are a thing just assume you're always being tailed by state security/foreign third party intelligence services/narco-afilliated gangs, etc :v:

Terror Sweat posted:

But what about all my stuff

military will transport your poo poo when you move :dudsmile:

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Virtual Russian posted:

Jesus Christ. I was considering MOTP thinking that the Canadian Military was more multicultural/ less imperialist than down in the states. That's disgusting. I feel like a moron.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If you're a doctor the worst you'll likely have to deal with are dramabomb co-workers and malingerers. I've know a few docs of varying backgrounds (black, white, gay, female) and they have no regerts, maybe because there's an education floor. The money isn't bad (they get annual bonuses!) and receiving a stipend instead of being saddled with student loans is pretty bitchin'. I thought about it but enjoy being a tactician too much.

I'm related to a bunch of people who work in hospitals and the bullshit they deal with sounds worse to me. If anything the consequences for misconduct are greater as an army doc, ain't no administrator gonna be covering up for you to make their numbers look good in uniform because the blowback would envelope them as well.

e. Also if a patient calls you a racial slur you can get them charged, which is something my relatives didn't have.

Guest2553 has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Jul 10, 2020

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lmao

https://twitter.com/ctvcalgary/status/1281607524328910848?s=21

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Lmbo how does that make them not want to relocate again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

gonna shackle every GP to their clinic desk