Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nessus posted:

I know that there are some Native groups who press against implications that they did not in fact arise in America as per their original legends because they do not want to buy into a narrative of "we're just the latest conquerers, maaaan". I was just thinking the obvious potential minefield of telling student volunteers, "Well we didn't find any signs of that Cherokee princess you mentioned, but we did find about 9% African Y-group tags!"

e: Oh, and the uh, risk of discovering infidelity in the students' parents.

yeah, there's a whole lot of pitfalls and mine fields in genetics work. It all gets even dicier when you start talking about testing human remains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The Polynesian form of navigation is the best form of open ocean traveling short of modern technology. European open ocean navigation was pretty much drive straight north-south and then east-west and vice versa prior to the marine chronometer (which came after the colonization of the Americas). This is because you can trivially determine your latitude using astronomical bodies, but determining longitude is not possible without some sort of assistance. Although dead reckoning will get you so far, people had no real way of knowing how far east or west they had gone once they got out into the open ocean. This is a big part of why even in the mediterranean sea, sailors stuck close to shore when traveling.

Polynesian navigators, on the other hand, observed waves and ocean currents to determine where islands and land were so they could sail directly to them. They essentially drew accurate charts of the entire pacific ocean using straw as they were sailing.

Modern GPS makes all of this moot, but prior to that the chronometer was still how most ships determined their east/west travel distance via dead reckoning.

Here is a nice TedX aboit the subject:

https://youtu.be/m8bDCaPhOek

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Nessus posted:

e: Oh, and the uh, risk of discovering infidelity in the students' parents.

Or serial killers!

Mr. Nice! posted:

European open ocean navigation was pretty much drive straight north-south and then east-west and vice versa prior to the marine chronometer (which came after the colonization of the Americas). [...]Polynesian navigators, on the other hand, observed waves and ocean currents to determine where islands and land were so they could sail directly to them. They essentially drew accurate charts of the entire pacific ocean using straw as they were sailing.

Polynesian navigation was amazing, but what you're saying about the Europeans isn't true at all. You can't just sail in a compass direction because pf winds and currents. European sailors were using the currents to move across the oceans way back in the 1490s. The Portuguese worked out the volto del mar and Columbus used the prevailing winds to sail across the Atlantic faster both ways.

E: That's a really exciting article!

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 9, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
OTOH the Spanish never found Hawaii despite sailing two ships a year from Acapulco to Manila for more than a century, so they must not have been doing everything right

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

OTOH the Spanish never found Hawaii despite sailing two ships a year from Acapulco to Manila for more than a century, so they must not have been doing everything right

That's actually possibly not true :science:!

There are maps made by the Spaniards dating to the 17th century that depict an island chain on the same latitude as the Hawaiian archipelago but with the longitude off by 10 degrees. They never landed on the islands as the trade ships wanted to get to Manila as fast as possible, and the trade routes were kept a secret to make sure no one else could try and muscle in on the Spanish hegemony.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

After following the Cleveland Museum of Art's Greek and Roman twitter I have come to the conclusion that there are Too Many Tetradrachms.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arglebargle III posted:

The (number of) Tetradrachms is too drat high

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The blown off course thing makes a lot of nautical fictional tropes make subtly more sense. The mental image I had had was more along the lines of "blown to Isla del Bullshit in a single vast gale!" whereas in fact if it was more like the anomalous gale moved you around or left you uncertain of where exactly you were, you would plot a course, and if that course was fifty miles off the course you would have followed - which everyone had followed for centuries - perhaps you'd find something previously unsuspected.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Safety Biscuits posted:

Or serial killers!

Polynesian navigation was amazing, but what you're saying about the Europeans isn't true at all. You can't just sail in a compass direction because pf winds and currents. European sailors were using the currents to move across the oceans way back in the 1490s. The Portuguese worked out the volto del mar and Columbus used the prevailing winds to sail across the Atlantic faster both ways.

E: That's a really exciting article!

I’m not saying that they were exact, but that’s the general method of travel because they could not tell how far they had gone east or west. Of course compass heading does not equal course over ground. They would adjust based upon currents/winds to make sure they were traveling in the direction they wanted. Taking advantage of currents isn’t out of line with this, but that isn’t what the polynesians were doing. Polynesian people were actively charting the entire pacific based upon currents.

Prior to the chronometer, sailors only had an educated guess via dead reckoning about how far east or west they had actually traveled.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Prior to the chronometer, sailors only had an educated guess via dead reckoning about how far east or west they had actually traveled.

Ehh they could do things like count knots and keep a record over a whole day. But that stuff is really hard to do well and one would have to be really practiced to be good at it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Ehh they could do things like count knots and keep a record over a whole day. But that stuff is really hard to do well and one would have to be really practiced to be good at it.

It was really loving hard. The nautical chronometer changed the game completely when it came to sailing.

Dead reckoning refers to a specific charting technique where you project where you should be on a chart based upon speed and heading. When you can take an actual fix using landmarks or celestial bodies, you compare it to your DR to determine your course over ground and direction/strength of currents.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was really loving hard. The nautical chronometer changed the game completely when it came to sailing.

Dead reckoning refers to a specific charting technique where you project where you should be on a chart based upon speed and heading. When you can take an actual fix using landmarks or celestial bodies, you compare it to your DR to determine your course over ground and direction/strength of currents.

You are lecturing a merchant mariner who did SOLAS work for nearly 15 years. That said cel nav would be a weak area for me personally. The point is it was not impossible to do, but that it took a years of experience and intelligence and natural skill to do well. Small errors accumulate and build over time basically. The chronometer makes it much easier and opens up a much larger number of people capable of navigating well.

Related a good read about a famous open boat journey and cel nav (post chronometer)

https://www.canterburymuseum.com/assets/DownloadFiles/Navigation-of-the-James-Caird-on-the-Shackleton-Expedition.pdf

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

weren't the Polynesians making those elaborate wave charts that would allow them to figure their location based on the direction the waves were rolling?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bar Ran Dun posted:

You are lecturing a merchant mariner who did SOLAS work for nearly 15 years. That said cel nav would be a weak area for me personally. The point is it was not impossible to do, but that it took a years of experience and intelligence and natural skill to do well. Small errors accumulate and build over time basically. The chronometer makes it much easier and opens up a much larger number of people capable of navigating well.

Related a good read about a famous open boat journey and cel nav (post chronometer)

https://www.canterburymuseum.com/assets/DownloadFiles/Navigation-of-the-James-Caird-on-the-Shackleton-Expedition.pdf

Definitely not trying to lecture. Didn't know your background and what you knew already. I'm a former navy SWO. Definitely not as much time at sea as you. I personally can't do any celestial nav, either, but I can use a stadimeter. One of our skippers was big on that and would have had us outside at night with a sextant if he could.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

What I primarily know about is vessel stability (particularly related to grain) and cargo (especially haz, oog, and high consequence stuff). I’ve done flag state work for a couple of administrations too. These days I’m outta regulatory stuff and into the insurance side though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume grain holds have baffles to slow the rate if shift?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

This book has a good chapter on it and I used to work with the author.

https://www.amazon.com/Stability-Trim-Ships-Officer-Original/dp/087033297X

Edit goddamn it I wrote a bunch and the app ate it just a sec rewriting it.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 10, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume grain holds have baffles to slow the rate if shift?

No they don’t use baffles.

They used to strap but that basically doesn’t happen any more ever. Sometimes they will put bags (super sacks) on top. Nearly all ships that can load grain (to get a class grain loading certificate) have to have a grain stability booklet. This has the shifting moments for the holds, centers of gravity for all the holds and tanks, and tables of allowable moments. Along with the hydrostatics one uses this information to do a calculation to show that if the grain does shift the resulting list will be less than 12 degrees. Basically if shifting moments < maximum allowable moments then the ship passes. Generally speaking this is achieved by filling as many holds as possible completely full ( which reduces the moments for those holds) Usually a ship will leave two holds partially full to get a proper trim, even keel or a bit down by the stern by adjusting the balance between them. The complexity comes in, in that stowage factors vary (this is an ag product after all) so one has to plan for a final condition not really knowing how the grain will stow within a rough range for each different type of grain. It’s not hard for handy or Panamax ships. Small vessels with one or two holds, or movable hold bulkheads are where it gets harder. There are other ways to do it, the Russians had a probabilistic model. The model in SOLAS in the grain code is not a perfect model, but it is an effective one because of its conservative assumptions.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Since we are speaking of navigation:

https://www.iflscience.com/physics/after-more-than-a-century-physicists-explain-why-ships-get-stuck-in-dead-water/

quote:

In 1893, Norwegian explorer Fridtjof Nansen described what must have been a frightening phenomenon under the circumstances. His ship became trapped in the Nordenskiöld Archipelago off Siberia, barely able to move, yet its engines appeared to be working normally and he wasn't confronted by any known force. It's taken 127 years, but physicists think they finally have an answer to how this phenomenon operates. It's also possible a rare appearance changed the course of history.

Nansen was no doubt not the first to be trapped in the manner he described, but he did provide a detailed description that was recorded and believed. The phenomenon where a boat can make no headway without apparent reason, now known as dead-water, has been experienced many times since.

From the start, Nansen recognized such entrapment occurred when a layer of fresh water sat above more salty water, something common in fjords, particularly when cold meltwater from glaciers drain into the sea. However, he did not understand why water layers created more drag than a well-mixed fluid.

Progress was made towards an explanation in 1904, when Swedish physicist Vagn Walfrid Ekman reproduced it in the laboratory, showing subsurface waves could occur at the point where the salty and fresh water met. If these waves counteract the force provided by the ship's propeller, they can bring it to a near complete halt.

In Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a team at the Universite de Poitiers argue there are actually two phenomena that can cause dead-water: kinematic drag and dynamic resistance. They name the former after Nansen (Nansen-wave making drag) and the latter after Ekman (Ekman wave-making drag).

The authors used a rope to tow a model ship in a stratified canal and filmed the wake it produced with high-resolution cameras. They report the Ekman wave-making drag is amplified in enclosed spaces, leading past researchers (who also used narrow canals) to focus on it. However, in more open waters the Nansen-wave making drag quickly becomes dominant. While acknowledging more work is required to fully understand the nature of the Nansen drag, the paper claims “that we have solved a more than 1-century mystery with respect to the true nature of the dead-water effect.”

Since its discovery, scientists and mariners have observed dead-water can occur wherever two layers of water with different densities fail to mix. One suitable location is the Bay of Actium, Greece, where Mark Antony and Cleopatra's combined forces fought Octavian for control of the Roman world. Shakespeare, never the most reliable historian, attributed the outcome to a loss of nerve on Cleopatra's part, but the researchers think it is possible her ships got caught in dead-water, rendering her unable to come to Antony's aid.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Squalid posted:

yeah, there's a whole lot of pitfalls and mine fields in genetics work. It all gets even dicier when you start talking about testing human remains

eh, at worst we go back to the bad old times, when people had to conduct the study of human anatomy with a shovel

just replace "shovel" with "secret lab" in this analogy

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

I mean...Cleopatra did run away though. It’s not like she was so stuck in dead water that she couldn’t sail back to Egypt.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Apparently they are gonna turn the Hagia Sophia back into a mosque? Not sure what that entails to be honest but hopefully it's still in good shape if I ever take a trip.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/turkey-court-revokes-hagia-sophia-museum-status-200710131419431.html

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

quote:

Shakespeare, never the most reliable historian, attributed the outcome to a loss of nerve on Cleopatra's part, but the researchers think it is possible her ships got caught in dead-water, rendering her unable to come to Antony's aid.

Does this guy think that Shakespeare is a historian and the story came from him instead of Plutarch? That's pretty bad even for a journalist.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

shirunei posted:

Apparently they are gonna turn the Hagia Sophia back into a mosque? Not sure what that entails to be honest but hopefully it's still in good shape if I ever take a trip.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/turkey-court-revokes-hagia-sophia-museum-status-200710131419431.html

That is unfortunate but not surprising given what's happening with Turkey's government. I wish I had gotten to see it. Many mosques are closed to non-Muslims, I hope the tourism greed makes them keep the Hagia Sophia open to visitors but no way to be sure.

E: I guess I don't actually know how often mosques are closed to non-Muslims. Most of them were in Malaysia but I don't know if that's typical. Malaysia's government is pretty secular though.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 10, 2020

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Does this guy think that Shakespeare is a historian and the story came from him instead of Plutarch? That's pretty bad even for a journalist.

no? it's just a way of saying that shakespeare's history plays don't tend to be historically accurate

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
It's kind of weird to say that Shakespeare attributed the loss to something when Shakespeare is taking the story straight from an ancient historian, and also to call him out as a bad historian when 1. he wasn't and 2. he lines up with how actual historians say it went down. Maybe it's an SEO thing, just seems completely out of nowhere.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

That is unfortunate but not surprising given what's happening with Turkey's government. I wish I had gotten to see it. Many mosques are closed to non-Muslims, I hope the tourism greed makes them keep the Hagia Sophia open to visitors but no way to be sure.

E: I guess I don't actually know how often mosques are closed to non-Muslims. Most of them were in Malaysia but I don't know if that's typical. Malaysia's government is pretty secular though.

The Blue Mosque in front of it was open to tourists when I visited, so I guess you shouldn't worry.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Average Lettuce posted:

The Blue Mosque in front of it was open to tourists when I visited, so I guess you shouldn't worry.

That's good to know. Though with Erdogan in charge :shrug:

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
The article I read about the issue (in German) was extremely sceptical about the AKP following through, because "Turn the Hagia Sophia back into a mosque!" has been such a beloved rallying cry/wedge issue - to be trotted out whenever they need to distract voters from a scandal or the economy - that there are actual memes about it. Also, at one point the opposition apparently introduced a law about going through with it purely as a means of (successfully) trolling the AKP into voting against it to preserve their political tool.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The Hagia Sophia is the original Huge Religious Building and it's my favorite one that I've visited. Super cool experience, even including the sketchy guy outside who said he was from Florida and tried to sell me a rug.

Seems like the big concern if they went through with it would be if they re-covered-up or destroyed the Christian artwork and Viking Graffiti and stuff? That would be awful and insane. Hopefully it's just a political stunt.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Archeology unites with history to solve a small mystery in the Romano-British countryside:

https://threader.app/thread/1281534833320222721

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I went to the al-Aqsa mosque as tourist once, so it's something that isn't innately forbidden. Depends on the political situation of the people in control, I guess.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It's kind of weird to say that Shakespeare attributed the loss to something when Shakespeare is taking the story straight from an ancient historian, and also to call him out as a bad historian when 1. he wasn't and 2. he lines up with how actual historians say it went down. Maybe it's an SEO thing, just seems completely out of nowhere.

he's not literally calling him a historian, it's a figure of speech. he's just expressing the completely banal point that shakespeare's history plays are not particularly reliable guides to the historical events they depict

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

E: I guess I don't actually know how often mosques are closed to non-Muslims.
I took a bunch of kindergartens kids (many of them non-muslims) to a guided tour in a mosque.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think they were already using the Hagia Sophia for religious services on holidays/special occasions, so all the stuff that made it a mosque was permanently set up and part of the museum. There's also plenty of mosques open to tourists all over Turkey that are being used for regular services--it mostly just meant you had to go in during hours when people weren't actively praying. Even if Erdogan follows through, I'm not too worried.

The muslim altar on the floor of hagia sophia is maybe ten degrees offset from the overall angle of the floorplan, because the building is almost but not quite pointing at Mecca. It's a really striking effect

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Do they still perform worship services in the mosque-turned-church at the Alhambra? I remember reading something a few years back about some Muslim visitors getting kicked out for trying to pray there. The Alhambra and the Hagia Sofia are both definitely on my bucket list.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Do they still perform worship services in the mosque-turned-church at the Alhambra? I remember reading something a few years back about some Muslim visitors getting kicked out for trying to pray there. The Alhambra and the Hagia Sofia are both definitely on my bucket list.

That's the Iglesia de Santa María de la Alhambra, and yes they do have regular Catholic services. As far as I know, while the church in Alhambra was built on the site of the mosque, the building itself was always a church. For that reason it isn't typically the target of Islamic evangelists. It is worth dropping by the current Mezquita de Granada, which has beautiful hilltop views and a lovely interior.

They also perform services at the Mezquita de Córdoba (which was a massive mosque that only had its center replaced with a Catholic nave when it was converted, in order to maintain the beauty of the architecture). The Mezquita de Córdoba is much larger, retains its appearance of a mosque, and has a grand heritage, and so there's often a few Muslim evangelists trying to reclaim it in one way or another. There's been some discussion about secularizing the Mezquita entirely, but Spain is a very Catholic country and the locals have no interest in doing so (they typically refer to it as la Cathedral de Córdoba). Definitely add it to your bucket list, the way the architecture both combines and sharply contrasts Baroque and Moorish styles is amazing.

The Hagia Sofia is a bit of a different story, since Ataturk's intentional secularization and modernization of Turkey has been such a point of pride for the country. It's part of the mythos, like Washington's two term presidency in the United States. If it's actually desecularized, it would be a real blow to that image. Regardless, I'm sure that the building will continue to be accessible to tourists. There's a bunch of nearby mosques in Istanbul that have a huge tourist audience every day, and it's a massive part of the economy.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 10, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Are there/have there been any historical church-turned-mosques or vice versa that allow both faiths to worship there?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

sullat posted:

I went to the al-Aqsa mosque as tourist once, so it's something that isn't innately forbidden. Depends on the political situation of the people in control, I guess.

Yeah, I know it's not completely forbidden, there was one mosque in Kuala Lumpur that opened for tourists part of the day. All the other ones I wanted to peek into were not allowed.

If they just have worship in the Hagia Sophia without otherwise destroying it, well, whatever I guess. I don't trust the Turkish government but I do sort of trust the desire for tourist dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are there/have there been any historical church-turned-mosques or vice versa that allow both faiths to worship there?

The Temple Mount comes to mind. Muslims conduct services within, and Jews perform prayers at the adjacent Wailing Wall. It's all tricky business though, because the issue of cultural claimancy can be so personal. And Temple Mount, like any contested site, routinely fields accusations of "secret prayer" and other forms of religious reclamation.