Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

FMguru posted:

Weirdly, that logic didn't apply to President Obama. :iiam:

it depends on your theology: does god's plan include the antichrist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

goatsestretchgoals posted:

isn't "socially liberal but fiscally conservative" the definition of an actual (non-pepe) libertarian?

e: one of the definitions, the other one being "my girlfriend shouldn't have to use a car seat"

Thank you for this hearty guffaw

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

StashAugustine posted:

I think Muslims had a better shot since they're a much smaller minority so theres less of an immigration panic, at least in the US
I think you're underestimating how central the idea of Glorious Western Civilization vs. The Benighted Savages has been to American conservatism for the past 20 years. These days it takes a backseat to panic over domestic unrest, but it's still a central tenet whenever matters of foreign policy and the MIC come up.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
super weird that the more you know about the USA the more the only conclusion that comes to mind is that this demon cracker regime must fall

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Plank Walker posted:

so wait their problem with evolution is that it theorizes we evolved from apes instead of from giants?

No. The bible says giants existed. If we find proof giants existed, then that means everything else in the Bible is objective fact too.

Like the story of David and Goliath, where a scrawny teenage sheep herder took down a giant with a sling stone. It doesn't specify the size of the giant, so we could be talking an Andre the Giant situation here. Or even like an ethnicity like the nordic viking types who can produce a lot of beefy dudes over 6 feet if they are well fed, and easily be a foot taller than the average Hebrew dude at the time.

For what it's worth, even the artistic renderings my fundie sunday school classes back in the 80s didn't try to pass of the giants as being over 12 feet tall. They showed Goliath as being maybe twice as tall as David. Those pictures of a skull bigger than a man would be pegged as obviously fake even by most fundies.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

For what it's worth, even the artistic renderings my fundie sunday school classes back in the 80s didn't try to pass of the giants as being over 12 feet tall. They showed Goliath as being maybe twice as tall as David. Those pictures of a skull bigger than a man would be pegged as obviously fake even by most fundies.

Nah there's definitely a group of conspiracy theorists that think Giants Were Real. Like, fairy tale giants. There's tons of youtube videos about it that are a fun rabbit hole to go down.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Depending on the source text, Goliath of Gath is either "four cubits and a span" or "six cubits and a span", which works out to either 6'9" or 9'9". Most modern texts will put it down to the former, and consider the latter either to be a transcription error, or a scribe intentionally embellishing.

I grew up in a YEC fundamentalist church and absolutely no one interpreted there being like skyscraper sized humans when the Bible talks about giants, though they did subscribe to the 10' tall Goliath and literal multi-century lifespans for the biblical patriarchs.

Near as I can tell, that poo poo is a modern resurgence of some late 19th to early 20th century poo poo. I'm assuming it just hadn't yet made its way into my childhood branch of fundamentalism.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There were several hoaxes perpetrated in the 19th century where people discovered the fossils of "giants" at various bumfuck farms, done either as tourist attractions or for scientific fraud. These were reported in newspapers, after which they were forgotten until crank researchers dredged them (the newspaper articles, not the fake fossils) up a century later completely divorced from context and subsequently they've circulated through fringe beliefs until naturally the Q folks got hold of them.

Vincent Van Goatse has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Jul 9, 2020

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
wait, what do the giants have to do with Q? are they part of the deep state or do giant children simply produce the most adrenochrome

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I thought it was a reference to Genesis 6:4 "There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown."

Evolution says we evolved from monkeys, but says nothing about giants, and yet here are the skeletons of giants that therefore prove evolution is a lie and the bible is the literal truth, which is why scientists have been systematically suppressing knowledge of them, QED.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

wait, what do the giants have to do with Q? are they part of the deep state or do giant children simply produce the most adrenochrome

Q has expanded to include every conspiracy that exists, fake or real

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Every conspiracy is acceptable to the Q community but "Giants" is probably far enough out of orbit that there's no identifiable single reason why.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There were several hoaxes perpetrated in the 19th century where people discovered the fossils of "giants" at various bumfuck farms, done either as tourist attractions or for scientific fraud. These were reported in newspapers, after which they were forgotten until crank researchers dredged them up a century later completely divorced from context and subsequently they've circulated through fringe beliefs until naturally the Q folks got hold of them.

Best one was the Cardiff giant because it was clearly a cement statue that had a perfectly rendered hog for some reason. Google it!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Every conspiracy is acceptable to the Q community but "Giants" is probably far enough out of orbit that there's no identifiable single reason why.

Psssss, Hilary Clinton is a very, very, very short giant. Pass it on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A huge amount of the crypto and psuedo woo crowd are fundie Christians, that seem to think if you prove the world is flat or dinosaurs are still alive, therefor that means the Bible is 100% right and science is completely wrong. It's not surprising these beliefs are also in Q.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Every conspiracy theory is being strip mined for material to support the most brain breaking thought possible: “Donald Trump is my friend”

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
my favorite q thing is probably the idea that actually they already won and everyone is in jail/gitmo but the reason it doesn't actually look like that at all is because they were replaced by clones/holograms that are still being bad because that's how they maintain their cover lol

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Donald trump communicates with me via typos and he is working to fight the pedophile government. Also, giants

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bar Crow posted:

Every conspiracy theory is being strip mined for material to support the most brain breaking thought possible: “Donald Trump is my friend”

donald trump is my lord and savior

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

an actual dog posted:

Q has expanded to include every conspiracy that exists, fake or real

that’s what happens when you tailor your message to only ever appeal to the most conspiracy-minded people around

they’ll figure out a way to graft on whatever pet conspiracy they’ve stumbled across and run with it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

Nah there's definitely a group of conspiracy theorists that think Giants Were Real. Like, fairy tale giants. There's tons of youtube videos about it that are a fun rabbit hole to go down.

That second pic was, I'm fairly sure, doing the rounds on Usenet in the 90s, often alongside claims that they were finding human fossils in coal beds with a picture of what looked a lot like a zoomed-in chicken bone on the floor of a coal mine.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
TNG is now on netflix so im watching it for the first time and lol @ humanity being harassed by an insane guy named Q

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Lady Militant posted:

TNG is now on netflix so im watching it for the first time and lol @ humanity being harassed by an insane guy named Q

Do yourself a favor and skip directly to season 3 after you finish the pilot. The first two seasons were rough and it's a miracle the show wasn't cancelled because of how terrible they were. The only major development you miss is that Tasha Yar dies and is replaced as head of security by Worf. Once you've finished the rest of the series definitely go back and watch those first two seasons, but I wouldn't recommend trying to slog through them on your first go.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

theyre all evangelicals and they take giant skeletons as proof that the bible is real and evolution isnt and then they drag the algorithms with them

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Mr.Radar posted:

Do yourself a favor and skip directly to season 3 after you finish the pilot. The first two seasons were rough and it's a miracle the show wasn't cancelled because of how terrible they were. The only major development you miss is that Tasha Yar dies and is replaced as head of security by Worf. Once you've finished the rest of the series definitely go back and watch those first two seasons, but I wouldn't recommend trying to slog through them on your first go.

There are a few good episodes in season 2. The Royale is cute, The Measure of a Man is one of the better episodes in the whole series. But all of season 1 and the rest of season 2 you can skip.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lady Militant posted:

Oh my friend, you are about to have so much fun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr.Radar posted:

Has to watch the Nubbins episode to see what is still one if the most gory things on TV. Also Mesure of a Man.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Intel&Sebastian posted:

my favorite q thing is probably the idea that actually they already won and everyone is in jail/gitmo but the reason it doesn't actually look like that at all is because they were replaced by clones/holograms that are still being bad because that's how they maintain their cover lol

me after defeated my enemies: time to create clones of my enemies and put them in charge of everything

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zeroisanumber posted:

Oh my friend, you are about to have so much fun.

Unless you watch the season 2 "finale". That's a total piece of poo poo and everyone involved in its making agrees.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Depending on the source text, Goliath of Gath is either "four cubits and a span" or "six cubits and a span", which works out to either 6'9" or 9'9". Most modern texts will put it down to the former, and consider the latter either to be a transcription error, or a scribe intentionally embellishing.

I grew up in a YEC fundamentalist church and absolutely no one interpreted there being like skyscraper sized humans when the Bible talks about giants, though they did subscribe to the 10' tall Goliath and literal multi-century lifespans for the biblical patriarchs.

Near as I can tell, that poo poo is a modern resurgence of some late 19th to early 20th century poo poo. I'm assuming it just hadn't yet made its way into my childhood branch of fundamentalism.

Defeating a 10' warrior seems fairly easy. Just trick him into running. After his knees detonate you can do what you want.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

Defeating a 10' warrior seems fairly easy. Just trick him into running. After his knees detonate you can do what you want.

There's an interpretation of the description of the fight which basically says that David used the sling to kneecap him, then get behind him and behead him.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

ralp gay

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Halloween Jack posted:

I think you're underestimating how central the idea of Glorious Western Civilization vs. The Benighted Savages has been to American conservatism for the past 20 years. These days it takes a backseat to panic over domestic unrest, but it's still a central tenet whenever matters of foreign policy and the MIC come up.

True but "20 years" basically means "since 9/11"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Azathoth posted:

There's an interpretation of the description of the fight which basically says that David used the sling to kneecap him, then get behind him and behead him.

:confused: Why? There's nothing implausible about a sling bullet to the head killing someone, even if that person is very large.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CommonShore posted:

:confused: Why? There's nothing implausible about a sling bullet to the head killing someone, even if that person is very large.

They only do 1d4 damage, a big guy like Goliath could tank that easily

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

multijoe posted:

They only do 1d4 damage, a big guy like Goliath could tank that easily

Goliath had ridiculously low CON though, he was gimped from the start.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

StashAugustine posted:

True but "20 years" basically means "since 9/11"

Jesus Christ time needs to slow down getting old sucks :corsair:

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Lady Militant posted:

I have some Mormon-flavored Q documents encountered in the wild, and one of the claims they make is that Q intentionally named themselves in reference to the Star Trek character. I'll try to post the rest of the insanity this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound