Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

I gotta admit, I'm out and about quite a bit and I've never seen a postal truck on a flatbed.

What was the deal with staggered wheel distance? Turning radius?

I'd say parts binning, but with a desire for a little wider cargo area, though the turning radius/maneuvering was definitely part of the spec, as they were designed to be neighborhood delivery vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

I gotta admit, I'm out and about quite a bit and I've never seen a postal truck on a flatbed.

What was the deal with staggered wheel distance? Turning radius?

I was told turning radius by the LLV trainer when I was at the post office, but it could just as well be cargo floor shape or anything else. It's a fun little thing to toodle around in, but it definitely skates around in the snow/ice because of that stagger.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bennyfactor posted:

I was told turning radius by the LLV trainer when I was at the post office, but it could just as well be cargo floor shape or anything else. It's a fun little thing to toodle around in, but it definitely skates around in the snow/ice because of that stagger.

Alaska used a lot of CJ8's up until the LLV showed up. I left the state in the mid 90's so I missed out that turned out but I can't imagine it was all that fun.

There was a handful of USPS Cherokees up there too.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
Hold up, haven't LLVs been catching on fire for decades?
I thought they reused the ACDelco Vehicle Fires from the Fiero since it fit the Iron Duke

Bajaha posted:

I too did not forget that I had placed foldable wheel chocks behind the rear wheels, and I definitely did not just give it a little more gas to get moving out of the driveway and only realized it after pulling out onto the street and seeing the remains of the pancaked wheel chocks.

Nope.

(They still kinda work, just have a decorative twist to them)

That doesn't remind me of the time I didn't leave a jack behind a wheel and back over it. Thankfully my Outback doesn't have enough clearance to make such a thing not not that bad

bonelessdongs fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 9, 2020

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Speaking of weird custom postal delivery tools, I sort of like the electric carts they use in Oslo (Norway). It's just an overgrown shopping cart with a motor, but the design touches are neat - like the massive mittens built into the handles so you can have warm hands in the winter but still pick through mail and keys and whatnot with your bare hands.

These things: https://www.nrk.no/osloogviken/kraftig-okning-i-posttyverier-1.11575199
(The actual article is about a rash of theft from them and speculation that someone has gotten hold of a key - apparently they all used the same key? Lovely. At least they have apparently changed to unique keys now.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 9, 2020

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

nah screw all of that, y'all need POSTIE BIKES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6FRvkIUsZA

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

?

The postscooter looks neat, though. :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bonelessdongs posted:

Hold up, haven't LLVs been catching on fire for decades?
I thought they reused the ACDelco Vehicle Fires from the Fiero since it fit the Iron Duke

Nah, the Fieros were a unique combination of a smaller oil pan leading to an increased likelihood of low oil level, defective rods that liked to break and punch holes in the block, and the proximity of the exhaust/tight engine compartment. It was only 1984 engines, too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Fiero#Problems_and_issues
Though it would follow that other Iron Dukes at the time may have gotten the defective rods, of course.
Also, despite the meme, only 135 out of 370k Fieros caught fire like that.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Is it bad that the Fiero and the 3rd gen Camaro are both on my car bucket list?

Fake edit: that reminds me, did we ever have a "car bucket list" thread, where we all post what cars we wish we owned but never have, so everyone else can talk us out of it with stories about how terrible those cars are in real life?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm infatuated with the Fiero and it's SO lovely.

But it's just so weird and tragic and kinda cool too.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
The Fiero is doubly tragic because it had so much potential that got GM'd to death

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bonelessdongs posted:

The Fiero is doubly tragic because it had so much potential that got GM'd to death

This. This right here. t was a miracle to start with, but Hulki (project manager) pissed off too many bureaucrats at GM by doing end-runs around the normal GM process (and thus, actually getting the project done on time, to spec, and under budget. Basically, he did the "disruptive" thing before it was fashionable.) The '90 model would have been pretty drat good. Heck, the '88 had most of the issues corrected.
A lot of the styling would up in the 4th gen Firebird.
https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/forgotten-future/forgotten-future-1990-pontiac-fiero-prototype/

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Is it bad that the Fiero and the 3rd gen Camaro are both on my car bucket list?

Fake edit: that reminds me, did we ever have a "car bucket list" thread, where we all post what cars we wish we owned but never have, so everyone else can talk us out of it with stories about how terrible those cars are in real life?

This sounds like a good thread idea.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
My stepdad had a base '84 Fiero as a commuter. It got outstanding mileage, almost 40mpg. To me it felt funny when turning, as if it was turning from the center of the car and not the front wheels. My sister got it and ended up hating it so much she left it in Ensenada and reported it stolen.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hermaphrodite posted:

My sister got it and ended up hating it so much she left it in Ensenada and reported it stolen.

Your sister is an rear end in a top hat.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Montana rural mail definitely used the right hand drive Subaru Legacies. Not even Outbacks, just regular hatchback Subbies :allears:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Midjack posted:

Your sister is an rear end in a top hat.

Nah, their sister's alright.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Computer viking posted:

?

The postscooter looks neat, though. :)

TIL that the country whose native name I always thought was Norge is also called Noreg, and that this wasn't just an egregious misprint. They have two official languages.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
If I can't find a suitable X1/9 or 914/916, the Fiero is third on my list of cars I'd love to restore/throw a Franken-B into

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
Happy belated 4th of July
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f223SPcBj4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESEjYIYX6l0

bonelessdongs fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 10, 2020

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Well, that is certainly a horrible mechanical failure :stare:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Holy poo poo that Turbo BaeBlade!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

Holy poo poo that Turbo BaeBlade!

If it hadn't hit that seam in the concrete, it would have spun for several minutes I bet.

edit: that bearing collar from the first turbo in the full-length video...

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Darchangel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2xhfjIEcik

Also I'm sure this has been posted before but it's worth posting again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW3ujpMytoI

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Darchangel posted:

If it hadn't hit that seam in the concrete, it would have spun for several minutes I bet.

they show multiple blowouts in the longer vid, and goddamn, how these people haven't been hit by shrapnel yet is just blind luck. They should be in a bunker doing this poo poo.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

LifeSunDeath posted:

they show multiple blowouts in the longer vid, and goddamn, how these people haven't been hit by shrapnel yet is just blind luck. They should be in a bunker doing this poo poo.

they should be wrapping that thing in a transmission shrapnel blanket

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They should really figure out what the gently caress they’re doing before installing these things in a vehicle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Midjack posted:

They should really figure out what the gently caress they’re doing before installing these things in a vehicle.

They have to somewhat know what they are doing to install these things because I'm pretty sure it's all custom poo poo. Things just tend to explode when you're going for maximum performance.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cojawfee posted:

They have to somewhat know what they are doing to install these things because I'm pretty sure it's all custom poo poo. Things just tend to explode when you're going for maximum performance.

This isn't 1940s rocketry. You shouldn't be blowing things up enough to have a highlight reel.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That's kind of the shtick in the high performance diesel world. Push it until it fails, even if it's stupid.

The views on the video more than pay for the truck/motor.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

not a fail, cool tho
https://i.imgur.com/HmYrtVK.mp4

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Godholio posted:

This isn't 1940s rocketry. You shouldn't be blowing things up enough to have a highlight reel.

Gotta roll that coal somehow

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

mischief posted:

That's kind of the shtick in the high performance diesel world. Push it until it fails, even if it's stupid.

The views on the video more than pay for the truck/motor.

And then you get Gale Banks, who made 900+hp on a stock internals LP5 Duramax and is slowly creeping his way up higher and higher in performance. His goal is to kill the engine, but not by doing something stupid, more like "I found the absolute tensile limit of the block castings" by pushing things to their limit, then upgrading them, then pushing the next part to its limit, then upgrading that..

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

The Door Frame posted:

Gotta roll that steel somehow
FTFY

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Zopotantor posted:

TIL that the country whose native name I always thought was Norge is also called Noreg, and that this wasn't just an egregious misprint. They have two official languages.

Oh, but it's worse.

Norway has two official languages: Norwegian and Sami. There are two official forms of Norwegian, and three official forms of Sami, plus the official minority languages (Kven, Romani, Romanes, and Norwegian sign language).

Sami is geographically limited to some countries in the North, where you are guaranteed the right to communicate with the government in Sami. The Norwegian forms are national: Each county can pick it's preferred form, but you're supposed to get written answers in the form you wrote in wherever you live.

Of course, they are completely mutually intelligible. It's basically an artifact of standardizing a written language fairly late in a country with a very varied set of dialects, where the admin/city speech was heavily shaped by our Danish overlords. Bokmål (book-tongue), the largest and historically "city/prestige" form is still basically modernized Danish, while nynorsk ("new Norwegian") was constructed in the late 1800s from a broad selection of dialects deemed to be the least Danified ones.

This works out to nynorsk having a lot of alternate forms, with the ideal being "speak dialect, write nynorsk"; it's a flexible framework. Bokmål is more opinionated, has a tad less grammar, and holds the "BBC English" position in many peoples' minds despite official policy for many decades being that the two are of equal status and worth. (Both are also written-only forms, technically I speak a bokmål-near dialect). This also works out to things like national broadcasting and government publications having a mandated amount of nynorsk, something like 20%.

Also, nynorsk had enough of a "backwards farmer" smell that some people crossed out the "Noreg" spelling to write in "Norge" back when we started printing it on one of the bank notes in the 1980s.

And that is enough Norwegian language politics for a long long time.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 11, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Oh, but it's worse.

Norway has two official languages: Norwegian and Sami. There are two official forms of Norwegian, and three official forms of Sami, plus the official minority languages (Kven, Romani, Romanes, and Norwegian sign language).

Sami is geographically limited to some countries in the North, where you are guaranteed the right to communicate with the government in Sami. The Norwegian forms are national: Each county can pick it's preferred form, but you're supposed to get written answers in the form you wrote in wherever you live.

Of course, they are completely mutually intelligible. It's basically an artifact of standardizing a written language fairly late in a country with a very varied set of dialects, where the admin/city speech was heavily shaped by our Danish overlords. Bokmål (book-tongue), the largest and historically "city/prestige" form is still basically modernized Danish, while nynorsk ("new Norwegian") was constructed in the late 1800s from a broad selection of dialects deemed to be the least Danified ones.

This works out to nynorsk having a lot of alternate forms, with the ideal being "speak dialect, write nynorsk"; it's a flexible framework. Bokmål is more opinionated, has a tad less grammar, and holds the "BBC English" position in many peoples' minds despite official policy for many decades being that the two are of equal status and worth. (Both are also written-only forms, technically I speak a bokmål-near dialect). This also works out to things like national broadcasting and government publications having a mandated amount of nynorsk, something like 20%.

Also, nynorsk had enough of a "backwards farmer" smell that some people crossed out the "Noreg" spelling to write in "Norge" back when we started printing it on one of the bank notes in the 1980s.

And that is enough Norwegian language politics for a long long time.

Username/post content checks out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

I don't think anyone's done an original Mini, yet. The engine's bigger than the car.
Someone proving me wrong in: 4, 3, 2...

I don't know if its an LSwhatever, but though its hard to see on my crappy pics it was definitely a small block chevy.

Yup, know these pics are wrong thread...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Looks like a Gen 1, not an LS.

Bitchin.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Godholio posted:

Looks like a Gen 1, not an LS.

Bitchin.

Specifically an L31 Vortec, or at least the heads from one (or compatible aftermarket).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yeah, I cna't remember. This was from a car show 10 or more years ago.