Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it could be a cutting/sharpening rod instead of a honing rod too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Is there a different lid for cambros that seal better? I bought a 4qt 3 pack from a restaurant supply place by my work and the kids are kinda... meh

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

horchata posted:

Is there a different lid for cambros that seal better? I bought a 4qt 3 pack from a restaurant supply place by my work and the kids are kinda... meh

There are two types of Cambro lids:

"Camsquare Covers", which are color coded per size and inset a little bit to help stacking:

And "Seal Covers"

Seal covers are a buck or two more each and seal significantly better, but they're harder to open and aren't inset so they aren't quite as stable in tall stacks.

The seal covers are generally a lot better imo. The classic covers are always going to make an absolute mess if you're storing liquids in them, but they're also easier if you're using the Cambro in a way that you're going to be opening and closing it lot, which you probably won't be for home use.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 10, 2020

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
How much more difficult is opening the clear lids? The store I went to was... pretty Spartan in terms stock so I only saw the normal lids.

I'm only using it for flour/dry goods if it makes a difference.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I wouldn't normally say the Camseals are really worth it for dry goods, but they probably are worth it if you're storing flour in a 4Q, because a 5lb bag of flour fits perfectly into a 4Q cambro w/ a camseal lid. Might be a bit dicier if you're using the classic lid.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Does anyone here have an opinion on 36" single oven ranges vs 48" double oven bit the second oven is tiny? The 48" range I'm looking at has a second small regular/convection/ rotisserie oven on the side but the interior with is less than 8" and the main oven is only 23 or so inches on the inside. My current 40" has a bigger side oven and our plates don't fit in it. Is it worth it having a second tiny oven and 2 extra burners or should I just go with the extra wide single?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I had a double oven and I only used the second oven when the first oven broke. Also, smaller than standard ovens are a pain. I say it's only "worth it" if you often find yourself in the kitchen using your single oven and wishing you had a second one. You'll get very little utility from it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I have a countertop convection oven that I use when I need a second oven, and at like $200ish that’s probably considerably cheaper than the price difference between a single-oven unit and a two-oven unit.

For burners, I’ve only ever used all 4 burners on mine on Thanksgiving, and never wished for more than that. If I wanted more I’d buy a countertop induction burner for like $100.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I do find we use the little side oven on our current range a lot, even before the big oven broke. But somehow the new 48" range we are looking at has a smaller second oven than this one, and while the larger oven is bigger than we have on our range, it still won't fit a half sheet pan. I fell like of I only have a couple dishes and pans that will fit into the 9.5" second over, a 7.85" second oven might just be useless.

I use all 5 burners if I'm making something elaborate or a holidaymeal, although I don't often feel I would need more it has happened. But a 36" will probably have either 6 burners or 4 burners with a griddle in the middle.

therobit fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 10, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I wouldn't normally say the Camseals are really worth it for dry goods, but they probably are worth it if you're storing flour in a 4Q, because a 5lb bag of flour fits perfectly into a 4Q cambro w/ a camseal lid. Might be a bit dicier if you're using the classic lid.
I use the 4 qt. cambros for flour storage and always use the camsquare lids because when I'm baking I like being able to open things without having to wrestle with it.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I forgot restaurant depot opened to the public during this covid thing so I ended up buying a couple camseal lids (why do they cost like half the price of a 2qt cambro?). Is there a difference between the clear and translucent containers besides temperature resistance? Like should I not pickle things in the translucent ones cause they hold odor?

edit: yeesh the camseal lids fit a crap ton easier on the clear containers compared to the translucent ones

horchata fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 11, 2020

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Any opinions on https://hexclad.com My wife got some ads and the reviews seem real. We have an aging calphalon set with some (minor) gouging due to overzealous washing/scrubbing (by me — with a plastic scrub brush only).

Do they actually last? Their durability is basically the major selling point.

DNK fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 14, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

DNK posted:

Any opinions on https://hexclad.com My wife got some ads and the reviews seem real. We have an aging calphalon set with some (minor) gouging due to overzealous washing/scrubbing (by me — with a plastic scrub brush only).

I looked into them a while ago and almost all the actual reviews ranged from "Worthless" to "They aren't actually non-stick so what's the point?"

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

They're also priced like All-Clads and I wouldn't spend that much on a nonstick that will eventually degrade even if it is more durable.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Those look tacky

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Seriously just buy a 20 to 30 dollar non stick and replace it in 2 years is pretty cheap if you look at it by monthly price lol

drat that hex clad stuff is exorbitantly expensive

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

DNK posted:

Everything I've seen about them makes it seem that at best they might perform marginally better than a seasoned cast iron or carbon steel pan. Every video and demonstration I've seen cooking eggs has them oiling the pan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQIbj-zpXJY

Hell you've even got to season the things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOfeX_FRmK0

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My girlfriend's roommate has one of those and every time I've used it it's been terrible, and I've used it a lot because I was convinced it had to be worth its price tag and I was just somehow getting it wrong

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Their site shows someone using steel wool to clean it which seems pretty optimistic.

I'd love to have non-cast iron pans that are 500F oven safe though.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
https://kramerknives.com/product/one-world/

current bid: $25750

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

paywall

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Recommendations on 30" ducted, under-cabinet range hoods?

I've currently got a terrible microwave-over-range that came with the house. Been meaning to redo the kitchen at some point; with COVID-19 that's obviously even more in the distant future than it was before. Anyway, I just cleaned out the lovely little vent filters on the microwave-over-range and had them clean, but then they started getting clogged with grease almost immediately. And there's no user-accessible way to clean out the entire vent duct. So I grabbed a screwdriver and took apart the bottom of the microwave's vent thing. Removing the bottom plate it immediately became apparent that it was functioning kinda like a shallow drip pan--the entire bottom plate was filled with a puddle of grease, and it wasn't cascading onto the range only because the filter mount has a rectangular lip that's higher than the rest of the base. And I guess I could drill a drain hole in the bottom plate, but apart from that there's no way to clean it out without disassembling the microwave.

So fuuuuuuuck this noise. I want to yank the fuckin' microwave and get a range hood that I can drop in as a replacement with minimal disruption to the surrounding cabinets/the rest of the kitchen. I don't necessarily want the One True Range Hood at this point, I'm more interested in something that I can get reasonably quickly and install with minimal fuss, assuming it's not so expensive I'll regret it in a couple years when I replace it.

Ease of cleaning is obviously a big plus.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

SubG posted:

Recommendations on 30" ducted, under-cabinet range hoods?

I've currently got a terrible microwave-over-range that came with the house. Been meaning to redo the kitchen at some point; with COVID-19 that's obviously even more in the distant future than it was before. Anyway, I just cleaned out the lovely little vent filters on the microwave-over-range and had them clean, but then they started getting clogged with grease almost immediately. And there's no user-accessible way to clean out the entire vent duct. So I grabbed a screwdriver and took apart the bottom of the microwave's vent thing. Removing the bottom plate it immediately became apparent that it was functioning kinda like a shallow drip pan--the entire bottom plate was filled with a puddle of grease, and it wasn't cascading onto the range only because the filter mount has a rectangular lip that's higher than the rest of the base. And I guess I could drill a drain hole in the bottom plate, but apart from that there's no way to clean it out without disassembling the microwave.

So fuuuuuuuck this noise. I want to yank the fuckin' microwave and get a range hood that I can drop in as a replacement with minimal disruption to the surrounding cabinets/the rest of the kitchen. I don't necessarily want the One True Range Hood at this point, I'm more interested in something that I can get reasonably quickly and install with minimal fuss, assuming it's not so expensive I'll regret it in a couple years when I replace it.

Ease of cleaning is obviously a big plus.

Take a look here: https://www.appliancesconnection.com/30-inch-under-cabinet-range-hoods.html

Keep in mind that over a certain CFM you are going to need to have make up air coming in. Where I live the threshold for that is anything over 400CFM. But if you want it to suck harder than that and feel comfortable doing it correctly yourself, it might not be a huge problem.

Also consider if you have plans for any future remodels and if you are going to want a larger cooktop. I recently decided to go with a 36" range, and they are throwing in the hood vent for free because I am spending too much money on it.but if I didn't want it I could get like a $400 credit so YMMV.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

therobit posted:

Take a look here: https://www.appliancesconnection.com/30-inch-under-cabinet-range-hoods.html

Keep in mind that over a certain CFM you are going to need to have make up air coming in. Where I live the threshold for that is anything over 400CFM. But if you want it to suck harder than that and feel comfortable doing it correctly yourself, it might not be a huge problem.

Also consider if you have plans for any future remodels and if you are going to want a larger cooktop. I recently decided to go with a 36" range, and they are throwing in the hood vent for free because I am spending too much money on it.but if I didn't want it I could get like a $400 credit so YMMV.
Yeah, like I said I'm planning on doing a remodel at some point, but after taking this thing apart it went from "this thing is a piece of poo poo, I'm looking forward to replacing it someday" to "holy poo poo I don't want this thing installed over a heat source in my house, I need to replace it now". So I'm not looking for my dream range hood, I'm just looking for something that I'm not going to hate for the couple of years I'll use it before doing a full remodel.

That includes not going with a super-high CFM fan, because the existing ductwork is 7". Which leads me to believe that the microwave-over-range thing was a later addition, because if the fan in that thing pulls 400 CFM I'm the fuckin' Queen of England.

Anyway, just looking for anyone's personal experience with makes/models. Like either a recommendation, or warnings about models to avoid.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
No posts for a week? Not even a pointless slapfight argument? Come on people, liven up.

I'm thinking about getting a deli slicer. I want one as cheap as possible, but that will actually work for years. Any recommendations?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

No posts for a week? Not even a pointless slapfight argument? Come on people, liven up.

I'm thinking about getting a deli slicer. I want one as cheap as possible, but that will actually work for years. Any recommendations?

Not trying to start a pointless slapfight argument but have you ever had to use and then clean one of those because the latter has made me never want anything like it at home. I could see using a larger mandolin instead just so I don't have to get in there and clean the poo poo out of it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-F...ps%2C162&sr=8-3

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

And if you still want a deli slicer that lasts for years, check your Craigslist for a used Hobart or any other commercial-grade brands which you might get lucky and get one for cheap from all the restaurant closures.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had plastic-y deli slicer of some reputable brand...Kitchenaid, maybe? I didn't like the way it flexed when I was slicing, though it sliced well enough. It had a momentary switch to operate it that kept one hand out of the way, so actually using it seemed safe enough. But cleaning it was another story, and while I never cut myself on it, it was always a process filled with great anxiety. Little bits of meat would get everywhere behind the blade, and removing the blade to get to it was a task fraught with peril. There are occasions where I wish I had one still, but those are rare and easily overcome.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I left my copy of Raymond Olivier's Classic Sauces and Their Preparations out for not one not two thunderstorms and now I have to commit French hara-kiri (shrugging and saying "tant pis")

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

VelociBacon posted:

Not trying to start a pointless slapfight argument but have you ever had to use and then clean one of those because the latter has made me never want anything like it at home. I could see using a larger mandolin instead just so I don't have to get in there and clean the poo poo out of it.

I haven't! I just can't stand to spend a minimum of $10/lb for sandwich meat. But that's good to know, I'm not dead set on getting one

:rolleyes: I don't need a slicer that I can put through the dishwasher

halokiller posted:

And if you still want a deli slicer that lasts for years, check your Craigslist for a used Hobart or any other commercial-grade brands which you might get lucky and get one for cheap from all the restaurant closures.

I checked. Didn't see any under $550, also they are gargantuan

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I had plastic-y deli slicer of some reputable brand...Kitchenaid, maybe? I didn't like the way it flexed when I was slicing, though it sliced well enough. It had a momentary switch to operate it that kept one hand out of the way, so actually using it seemed safe enough. But cleaning it was another story, and while I never cut myself on it, it was always a process filled with great anxiety. Little bits of meat would get everywhere behind the blade, and removing the blade to get to it was a task fraught with peril. There are occasions where I wish I had one still, but those are rare and easily overcome.

Sounds like it may not be worth it. I'll keep looking around

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

:rolleyes: I don't need a slicer that I can put through the dishwasher

Hey, you asked for the slap fight.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Auction Liquidators like https://www.rasmus.com are a better bet for deli slicers than craigslist.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Murgos posted:

Hey, you asked for the slap fight.

haha, seeing if anyone bites on the old "knives go through the dishwasher" troll

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
A long time ago I bought a wired oven thermometer and recently started using it. First two times I used it for steak and pork chops, worked beautifully. Today I was roasting a chicken, stuck it in the deepest part of breast, shoved it in and 20 seconds later it's beeping its head off. The temperature seems to fluctuate wildly between the internal temp of the chicken and what I can only assume is the ambient temperature of the oven (~400F). Am I messing this seemingly simple procedure up somehow or is it broken?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Is it possible the tip of the thermometer passed out into the chicken cavity?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I had that thought as well so I tried repositioning the needle multiple times, no dice.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

AnonSpore posted:

I had that thought as well so I tried repositioning the needle multiple times, no dice.

I don't know what's wrong with your thermometer but I bought this two years ago and it's been great. It's the best thermometer I have that isn't made by ThermoWorks.

ThermoPro TP-07 Wireless BBQ Meat Thermometer for Grilling Smoker Oven Kitchen Turkey Remote Digital Cooking Food Grill Thermometer with Probe, 300 Feet Range, Smart LCD Backlit Screen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DAVCP4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_emMgFbSJCC7E9

It's pretty cool to leave on my entertainment center so I can watch a movie or TV while I'm making brisket or whatever and I don't have to go check I can just see. (The screen changes colors the closer the temperature gets to your desired temperature)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I'm looking at an 8" carbon steel pan. De Buyer and Matfer are both similarly priced on Amazon so I thought I'd ask here. Both made in France, both unseasoned, the De Buyer has better English translation but is like $5 more. Any reason to go for on over another? Any other brand I should be considering?

Edit* so I'm gonna go with the Matfer. It's welded instead of riveted, which I think will work better in a smaller pan. And it is also completely oven safe, which the de buyer is not unless you remove the silicone and coating from the handle.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sokatoah
Oct 6, 2005

Oh gods, how do we find the hypotenuse?
Talk to me about spice grinders. Is it worth grinding from whole when you only need half a tsp of whatever spice? Are freshly ground spices that much better than what you buy pre-ground off the shelf?