Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

brand engager posted:

Is there anything to mirrorless besides weight savings and a little bit of space saving? It seems like most of the features they get can be on a dslr without paying a premium for mirrorless.
Off the top of my head:
They make more sense for video as you can still use the EVF.
The EVF is wysiwyg which a lot of people like
Originally using the sensor was a big disadvantage compared to the mature technology used in DSLRs but over time it's actually opening up the option for some clever advancements. Eye focus, where the camera can locate and track the eyes in the frame, is the big buzzword at the moment.
IBIS. There's nothing to stop IBIS in a mirrored camera but the viewfinder won't be stabilised so it was generally not done. IBIS means stabilisation with any lens.
DSLRs have long hit the limit of burst rate because of the physics of physically moving the mirror. Mirrorless cameras have in theory a lot of room to go faster
Silent shutter. Moving a mirror is unavoidably noisy and it turns out there's a lot of situations where the noise was tolerated but having a silent camera is beneficial (wildlife, film sets so you don't need a soundproof housing, press conferences, golf when they swing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Surprise T Rex posted:

Even though they're releasing more, I feel like the M series is sort of half-dead? Or at least it was some kind of experiment in mirrorless before they had a real go at it and they're just updating it as some kind of "hey please don't leave Canon" to people who already bought one.

I know this is the Canon thread but if people are legitimately considering APS-C mirrorless then Fuji is solid. Their newest flagship is like £2000 with a 16-80mm f/4. The R5/6 look great and if I had literally unlimited money I'd probably get one, but it's just out of the realm of possibility for anyone not making photo money hand over fist, surely?

R5/6 are FF

Native performing adapted EF glass is a big selling point.

Has the sensor resolution for the R6 been confirmed yet?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Surprise T Rex posted:

Even though they're releasing more, I feel like the M series is sort of half-dead? Or at least it was some kind of experiment in mirrorless before they had a real go at it and they're just updating it as some kind of "hey please don't leave Canon" to people who already bought one.

The M6 II is in fact an extremely good little thing that's replaced my 7D II. Adapted EF glass runs perfectly. The 32MP sensor (also a brand new one) really delivers - it was pretty much a warning that Canon had gotten their poo poo together with MILC.

The only real issue is the native glass leaves much to be desired but then again, most M6 II owners are just using adapted EF glass so whatever, the E stuff works as if it's native.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_8YCWMgIuY

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
They both look great. Gonna need Kai to tell me how they compare to Sony though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

* Launches 8K camera *
* Streams via Youtube at just 4mbps so it all looks soft *

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Aw nice they brought the ol dust pumpers back.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Dang, R6 is looking pretty good. Might grab a used one in a few years once I’m ready to upgrade from my a7ii.

I only have one FE mount lens anyway. Everything else is either adapted EF or old Minolta glass, etc.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I won't have an R6 for a while as well but I'm just glad I don't need to think about switching to Sony anymore as that would've been a huge huge headache.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dpreview's initial reviews are pretty glowing:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r6-initial-review

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r5-initial-review

Biggest problem is the battery life is garbage, especially if you run the LCD/EVF at 120fps. The upside is the older LP-E6N batteries will work in it so if you already have some you can hold off buying a bag full of batteries. They claim two batteries for a day of use is enough but I'm skeptical.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’m already stockholm syndrome’d into lovely battery life, so w/e. :geno:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I keep waffling. I think a R6 is in my future, IBIS and 20FPS is just such an upgrade even over the EOS R. I think I can live with 20.1 megapixels. Now to decide whether I want to get a Tamron G2 EF 24-70/2.8 or get the RF 24-105/4. Either way I need an adapter for my existing EF lenses.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

charliebravo77 posted:

I keep waffling. I think a R6 is in my future, IBIS and 20FPS is just such an upgrade even over the EOS R. I think I can live with 20.1 megapixels. Now to decide whether I want to get a Tamron G2 EF 24-70/2.8 or get the RF 24-105/4. Either way I need an adapter for my existing EF lenses.

Didn't an adapter ship in the box with the EOS R? It might with the R5/6 too.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The "whats in the box" section for both new cameras don't list an EF->RF adapter

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Didn't an adapter ship in the box with the EOS R? It might with the R5/6 too.
Canon UK are doing a free adaptor but you have to claim it from Canon (and sign up for CPS membership).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fortunately the adapter is only $99.

Unless you absolutely must have the control ring. Or drop in filters.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

xzzy posted:

Fortunately the adapter is only $99.

Unless you absolutely must have the control ring. Or drop in filters.

I hear the control ring is terrible on EF lenses, especially with a 70-200mm or bigger telephoto as you have to bring your hand all the way back to the body to move the ring, unlike an actual RF lenses with it built in.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No idea but drop-in filters are :getin:

Gonna go watch the event now and then cry myself to sleep.

E: they loving did 8K RAW, the absolute madmen! The R6 looks perfect for a photo/video enthusiast, although a bit too expensive, there's a decent chance it'll be under 2k by eoy one way or another. My only real concern was dynamic range which was pretty lovely on the R but with the similar sensor to 1DX it seems like it might be much better now.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 10, 2020

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

Or maybe not because I just did our taxes and owe $2600 :suicide:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Hoping the R6 drops to $2000 this time next year. the only mirrorless I've used before is a Sony A6000 and the EVF resolution didn't seem great, does anyone know if the quoted resolution of the R6 is acceptable or subpar based on their experience with other systems?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I've got a t2i that's been on the fritz for a while and I'm thinking now/soon would be a good time to replace it. I haven't really used it much over the past two years and have completely fallen off what Canon is doing these days so I'm trying to get a feel for what's out there. Would the latest t8i be a noticeable upgrade? Or should I look into the 80/90D? Or do I go mirrorless? I've got a Tamron 17-50 and Sigma 70-200. Good low light capabilities would be a plus.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

Hoping the R6 drops to $2000 this time next year. the only mirrorless I've used before is a Sony A6000 and the EVF resolution didn't seem great, does anyone know if the quoted resolution of the R6 is acceptable or subpar based on their experience with other systems?

My a7ii is 2.4 million dots and it’s never bothered me (it’s also the newest camera I’ve ever owned though). What’s the R6? 3.6 million or something?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

President Beep posted:

My a7ii is 2.4 million dots and it’s never bothered me (it’s also the newest camera I’ve ever owned though). What’s the R6? 3.6 million or something?

3.68. :smug:

Though Sony just announced their next body will have an EVF with 9.44 million, so I guess that's the new arms race.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Thom12255 posted:

I won't have an R6 for a while as well but I'm just glad I don't need to think about switching to Sony anymore as that would've been a huge huge headache.

I'm trying to imagine what I'd do if I still had my 5D3 and 6D and was looking to upgrade. What I did a year ago was sell those two bodies and buy an A7RIII, and then after it performed like dogshit with the adapter I sold my Canon 70-200 and bought the Sony version. A year later, I definitely don't regret it. I wonder if I'd've been willing to shell out the extra grand for the Canon R5 over the Sony A7RIII for the beastly video, extra speed, and better lens performance. As it is now, I'm happy with the AF of all my adapted lenses on the Sony, but it does make me wonder what could be.

Maybe if I book a bunch of 2021 weddings...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

3.68. :smug:

Though Sony just announced their next body will have an EVF with 9.44 million, so I guess that's the new arms race.
SansMirror have a breakdown of which cameras use which EVF resolution.
http://www.sansmirror.com/articles/choosing-a-mirrorless-camer/about-evfs-electronic-viewf.html

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Wonder why they're so determined to keep that separate wheel thing as the power switch on mirrorless. If they kept the combined mode&power switch from the dslrs there would be room for a top screen on the r6.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

I half forgot that camera makers decided they should count screens by "dots" rather than pixels, so each pixel apparently counts for 3 dots (red, green and blue).

All this mirrorless talk put EF-M back on my radar. I'd either never known you could easily adapt EF/EF-S lenses to the EF-M cameras or completely forgotten. Seems like you can sometimes find bodies + kit lenses for pretty cheap. Any big gotchas with them?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

brand engager posted:

Wonder why they're so determined to keep that separate wheel thing as the power switch on mirrorless. If they kept the combined mode&power switch from the dslrs there would be room for a top screen on the r6.

Lose the top screen, cram in all the dials. :colbert:

If they had an R5/6 with the 5's sensor and the 6's body I'd be ecstatic.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I half forgot that camera makers decided they should count screens by "dots" rather than pixels, so each pixel apparently counts for 3 dots (red, green and blue).

All this mirrorless talk put EF-M back on my radar. I'd either never known you could easily adapt EF/EF-S lenses to the EF-M cameras or completely forgotten. Seems like you can sometimes find bodies + kit lenses for pretty cheap. Any big gotchas with them?
I don't think there's a catch, but none of the bodies are class leading in any way but they are pretty good value and I enjoy using my m50. The EF adapter works great and as far as I can tell even with the cheap chinese one, the lenses perform as natively. There's also a speed booster you could use instead but it's $$$.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

I have a Z6 (3.69M dot viewfinder) and I find that it is beautiful and sharp and smooth. I only have MF lenses so I use the focus peaking and zoom constantly and it's the first time I have had a digital camera that's as easy to focus as my old Spotmatic with a split prism. It's very nice.

e: oh, oops, this is the Canon thread, not the Mirrorless one. Well 3.69M dots looks great to me either way.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Did they go over what's different in the new dual-pixel af? I noticed it's called "Dual Pixel CMOS AF II" on the two new bodies

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

yoohoo posted:

I've got a t2i that's been on the fritz for a while and I'm thinking now/soon would be a good time to replace it. I haven't really used it much over the past two years and have completely fallen off what Canon is doing these days so I'm trying to get a feel for what's out there. Would the latest t8i be a noticeable upgrade? Or should I look into the 80/90D? Or do I go mirrorless? I've got a Tamron 17-50 and Sigma 70-200. Good low light capabilities would be a plus.

Nobody else has jumped in I don't think. I haven't looked much at these so maybe someone else who's just made this decision can jump in with why they chose what they did. The t2i is like 10 years old now so yes, the t8i would be a noticeable upgrade. 4k video, better fps, sensor resolution, I'm sure better AF and sensor performance, probably a bunch of other stuff too. If you can swing a 90D it would be noticeably better in almost every way than the t8i. Someone else here could probably talk about the RP mirrorless. I think presumably it would work with your EF-S lenses? Here's everything in a compare tool.

Any of these would be better in low light but I don't know if you wouldn't be better off moving to Sony if you need a superhuman low light EVF or whatever.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

brand engager posted:

Did they go over what's different in the new dual-pixel af? I noticed it's called "Dual Pixel CMOS AF II" on the two new bodies

It sounds like it works the same as the old DPAF but faster and it covers the entire frame. There's also the new animal+person body/head/face detection but I think they market that as separate from DPAF?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Supposedly the new dual pixel also lets you do background blurring/relighting, but I don't think they've shown samples yet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently that isn't entirely new though, was this also perhaps in the 1DX? The dpreview guys said it was pretty useless but maybe they improved it this time.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
It's probably good that they measure in dots rather than pixels. Some high density displays don't use RGB pixels, and instead have some layouts where every other pixel is missing one subpixel or similar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PenTile_matrix_family
You can end up with two displays that have the same amount of pixels, but one has far fewer dots.

The new mirrorless cameras from Canon look really nice. I look forward to thinking about buying a used one in ten years.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Nobody else has jumped in I don't think. I haven't looked much at these so maybe someone else who's just made this decision can jump in with why they chose what they did. The t2i is like 10 years old now so yes, the t8i would be a noticeable upgrade. 4k video, better fps, sensor resolution, I'm sure better AF and sensor performance, probably a bunch of other stuff too. If you can swing a 90D it would be noticeably better in almost every way than the t8i. Someone else here could probably talk about the RP mirrorless. I think presumably it would work with your EF-S lenses? Here's everything in a compare tool.

Any of these would be better in low light but I don't know if you wouldn't be better off moving to Sony if you need a superhuman low light EVF or whatever.

I should have been clearer, obviously there's going to be a big jump between the t2i and the most recent iteration. What I was really trying to find out is if the current generation of rebel will be so much better that I can stick with it and save a few hundred bucks (that said, the price of an 80/90D is not a deterrent), or if it makes sense to upgrade to something that's more than just a beginner camera. My main complaints with the t2i is the AF is slow and unreliable and shooting above 1600 ISO gets pretty noisy, both of which I'm sure are vastly better with the t8i.

I don't need *superhuman* low light, but I don't hate the idea. I love night time photography so if that's the better option, I'm not opposed to picking up an a7 and using an adapter.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think all Canons get dual pixel AF and sensors are much better too so yeah I think any Rebel would be much better in every way. I still have my 550D around and replaced it with an M50 mainly for travel comfort but otherwise I'd go for the 90D for the nicer body if nothing else. Or the R6 of course :D

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

yoohoo posted:

I should have been clearer, obviously there's going to be a big jump between the t2i and the most recent iteration. What I was really trying to find out is if the current generation of rebel will be so much better that I can stick with it and save a few hundred bucks (that said, the price of an 80/90D is not a deterrent), or if it makes sense to upgrade to something that's more than just a beginner camera. My main complaints with the t2i is the AF is slow and unreliable and shooting above 1600 ISO gets pretty noisy, both of which I'm sure are vastly better with the t8i.

I don't need *superhuman* low light, but I don't hate the idea. I love night time photography so if that's the better option, I'm not opposed to picking up an a7 and using an adapter.

It's totally up to you based on the features you need, but I don't think that there's anything that would necessarily scare me off of the t8i. It's actually got a newer processor than the 80D, and one review I just read thought it might actually do a little better in low light than the 90D due to the pixel size (90D has a decent jump in resolution but that means it's pixels are smaller). They all have 45 cross-type AF. I think they'll all be OK at 3200 ISO although maybe check dpreview or somewhere if you want to see how they look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

When I was deciding between the t8i and 90D, the bigger viewfinder, pentaprism, and top screen are what got me to spend the extra money. Any image from it is gonna get downscaled because I really don't need a bigass 6960x4640 image