Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

acksplode posted:

It's a movie that came out a year after Occupy that takes what is explicitly a lower class uprising and slots it into the bad guy role and offers no class analysis whatsoever. Nolan can eat my entire rear end

Do you think he wrote, shot and released the movie that year lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JBP posted:

Do you think he wrote, shot and released the movie that year lol

I think he's a thinking person who probably read the news once or twice that year. He knew what he was making.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
re: Bane in TDKR and whatever I used to think “these things aren’t so bad because these characters are clearly just co-opting real movements to hijack them for their selfish/criminal ends” but then I realised this is done in order to present the idea that anyone who is actually part of those movements just wants to do the same thing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

acksplode posted:

I think he's a thinking person who probably read the news once or twice that year. He knew what he was making.

Should he have cancelled the movie because occupy happened? What does it matter if the movie had some parallels but is about something a million miles removed?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A guy in Bane costume with funny signs shows up at all of our rallies in Melbourne

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JBP posted:

Should he have cancelled the movie because occupy happened? What does it matter if the movie had some parallels but is about something a million miles removed?

I'm saying that the notion that DKR doesn't talk about class struggle and have a take on it is obviously ridiculous.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

acksplode posted:

I'm saying that the notion that DKR doesn't talk about class struggle and have a take on it is obviously ridiculous.

It does have a take, but it isn't that protesters are bad. The downtrodden that suffer in Gotham get shafted and their issues coopted by the baddies.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JBP posted:

It does have a take, but it isn't that protesters are bad. The downtrodden that suffer in Gotham get shafted and their issues coopted by the baddies.

It doesn't say the protesters are bad, it says they are wrong, misguided, and co-opted by bad people. That is a bad take.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

acksplode posted:

It doesn't say the protesters are bad, it says they are wrong, misguided, and co-opted by bad people. That is a bad take.

All Lives Matter. Masks are communism. When can I play golf?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the PS4 has so little good games that we're forced to talk about dogshit superhero films

SMDH!!!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dark Knight Rises sucks but I still love Dark Knight so much.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JBP posted:

Dark Knight Rises sucks but I still love Dark Knight so much.

I SOMEHOW saw it 5 times in the cinema when it came out.

I don't think I even saw 5 films in the the cinema last year.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I agree DKR isn't great, but I do love Tom Hardy's Bane, and that first fight between him and Batman is still awesome.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah I have to admit that I loved Tom Hardy's performance. I even liked the voice, didn't have any problems understanding him like some people did

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
DKR was great in the theatre if only for Hans Zimmer

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

acksplode posted:

Yeah I have to admit that I loved Tom Hardy's performance. I even liked the voice, didn't have any problems understanding him like some people did

Honestly it's not even the least-intelligible voice I've heard Tom Hardy do.

I remember when the first scene leaked early from the IMAX preview or whatever, the whole internet spent weeks complaining about the voice. But then when it came out, yeah, he was mostly pretty easy to understand. Certainly not more difficult than Bale's Bat-voice anyway.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This is the last I'll speak on this tonight because it's so off-topic but the sound mixing, particularly the dialgoue, in Nolan's films is absolutely atrocious on a technical level.

The Bane stuff in TDKR sounded so badly mixed when I saw it in the cinema, like it was just so loud in the mix and didn't sound like it was in the right acoustic space at all.
Then you have scenes where they just never bothered to ADR lines so you have stuff like dialogue scenes in big echoey hallways that sounds awful. There was one in particular were Micheal Caine was so off-mic that it was inconceivable to me they didn't re-record the line.

Then you have the beach dialogue in Dunkirk, which sounds so bad it's almost unbelievable.

I'll say no more because this is such a nerdy and boring topic.

ShakeZula posted:

Honestly it's not even the least-intelligible voice I've heard Tom Hardy do.

The more stuff I see of Hardy, the less impressed I am. He needs a REALLY good director to reign him in. His accent in Capone was the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tom Hardy did a real good Mad Max imo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

Tom Hardy did a real good Mad Max imo

Yeah I really like him in everything. I really wanted David Wenham Mad Max but he's not a big name.

For reference on David's acting power and the scene I consider his Mad Max audition

https://youtu.be/W4anxZR1Sgs

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the PS4 has so little good games that we're forced to talk about dogshit superhero films

SMDH!!!

I'm not planning to get Ghosts and I'm lukewarm on Cyberpunk, so I'm out of big PS4 games to get hyped about :( Gimme PS5 now plz.

They need to get Disco Elysium out on PS4 so I can talk about it ITT. I'm near the end and it might be my retroactive GOTY 2019

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

BisterdDave posted:

The merc was obviously in the back of the plane

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmfao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chris Nolan has the worst sound mixer in the business

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What will be 6's equivalent of "Hit em with the Bliss Bullets"

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What will be 6's equivalent of "Hit em with the Bliss Bullets"

Hopefully there won't be.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Free Ghost of Tsushima dynamic theme:
5NEC F9N4 75M8

It's probably going to be a fun game and I look forward to playing it when it's $30

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just on Tsushima there are small bits of into coming from people with review copies. Nothing concrete because of the embargo but it sounds like it's 100% Asscreed

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JBP posted:

Just on Tsushima there are small bits of into coming from people with review copies. Nothing concrete because of the embargo but it sounds like it's 100% Asscreed

:rip:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

JBP posted:

who all has the review copies?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

JBP posted:

boooooo

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

can we get an early spoiler thread that's wrong on everything that happens in the game so I can be outraged for a week

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo sucker punch should go back to making inFamous games

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

As long as it's one of the good AssCreeds, I'm ok with it.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Crows Turn Off posted:

acab

all creeds are bad

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

JBP posted:

I’ve been seeing stuff that’s very different from that. Reviewers liking tweets like this https://mobile.twitter.com/DonZiyech/status/1280594873570254850
and playing coy about how they can’t wait to talk about it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Early buzz tweets from anything (films, games) are absolutely worthless imo

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Tsushima is gonna get the Days Gone treatment, where a pretty good game just gets dumped on because it has "tired" elements.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Early buzz tweets from anything (films, games) are absolutely worthless imo

Only if they disagree with how I have already decided the game is going to be. If they agree they are proof I'm right.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I don’t really see how I’m going to be able to play anything for a while after TLOU2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Which ones are those