Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Human Tornada posted:

Does that Wilfa Svart have a version that comes with a US plug or is it European only?

Has an EU plug and sold in the UK with an adaptor, they don't do your funky low voltage shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My Fellow coffee container arrived. It’s very cool if kinda crazy expensive. It’s fun to just pressurise it and then hear “shhhhhh” as you hit the button too.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Red_Fred posted:

My Fellow coffee container arrived. It’s very cool if kinda crazy expensive. It’s fun to just pressurise it and then hear “shhhhhh” as you hit the button too.

It's quite soothing

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

My Fellow coffee container arrived.

Ooh, lucky. I've been lazily trying to buy one since they launched, but every time I look they've only got the tiny ones.

Including today. :argh:

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Got my v60 this week and had a few days trying it out. Been using Hoffman’s technique, had a few non-great cups but this morning was my first “good” one (I’m sure I can do better but it was a significant improvement on before).

My Porlex grinder is frustratingly inconsistent, and it’s making it hard to dial in. Sometimes I end up with a really muddy/silty bed, but still with big chunks of bean on the top. Is that just a cheap grinder thing?

I’ll look into getting something better. How much am I going to regret a higher-end (£100-200) hand grinder over an electric? I only usually brew maximum 2 cups at a time (so about 30g) and I don’t like taking up space with single use kitchen stuff, so I’m leaning towards a new hand grinder at the moment.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Got my v60 this week and had a few days trying it out. Been using Hoffman’s technique, had a few non-great cups but this morning was my first “good” one (I’m sure I can do better but it was a significant improvement on before).

My Porlex grinder is frustratingly inconsistent, and it’s making it hard to dial in. Sometimes I end up with a really muddy/silty bed, but still with big chunks of bean on the top. Is that just a cheap grinder thing?

I’ll look into getting something better. How much am I going to regret a higher-end (£100-200) hand grinder over an electric? I only usually brew maximum 2 cups at a time (so about 30g) and I don’t like taking up space with single use kitchen stuff, so I’m leaning towards a new hand grinder at the moment.

The high end hand grinders tend to chew through coffee really fast, you'll certainly get a better grind out of a hand grinder for that price than you would a similarly priced electric.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

RichterIX posted:

The high end hand grinders tend to chew through coffee really fast, you'll certainly get a better grind out of a hand grinder for that price than you would a similarly priced electric.

agree. time to grind prolly will also depend on how you coffee

espresso > pour/drip > french press

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Only a minority of the beans at my grocer have production dates, but all of them list best-before-dates. Is the time difference between production and best-before consistent enough that you can guesstimate the production date from just the expiration date?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Only a minority of the beans at my grocer have production dates, but all of them list best-before-dates. Is the time difference between production and best-before consistent enough that you can guesstimate the production date from just the expiration date?

My experience is unless a roaster is super serious about it most list a date about a year after roasting; some will do more

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014

Lord Stimperor posted:

I've been buying my coffee at costco which frankly I really like. I'm not a huge snob but I do grind my coffee fresh everyday. The ones I've gotten so far are

Mayorga roastmasters medium
Kirkland Ethiopian single origin
Ruta Maya medium

The ruta maya is what I'm getting delivered tomorrow. I hope to god it's good. Both the mayorga and ethiopian were both good. No complaints through the aeropress or french press. I don't think costco gets enough credit, but hey, I'm no snob.

I take them out of the bag once I receive it and then vacuum seal and freeze one pound portions. I think that's a nice compromise between keeping it fresh and using single use plastic.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

mediaphage posted:

My experience is unless a roaster is super serious about it most list a date about a year after roasting; some will do more

evilolive posted:

I've been buying my coffee at costco which frankly I really like. I'm not a huge snob but I do grind my coffee fresh everyday. The ones I've gotten so far are

Mayorga roastmasters medium
Kirkland Ethiopian single origin
Ruta Maya medium

The ruta maya is what I'm getting delivered tomorrow. I hope to god it's good. Both the mayorga and ethiopian were both good. No complaints through the aeropress or french press. I don't think costco gets enough credit, but hey, I'm no snob.

I take them out of the bag once I receive it and then vacuum seal and freeze one pound portions. I think that's a nice compromise between keeping it fresh and using single use plastic.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't call myself a bean snob either at all, but when I can, I try to go for the freshest bag. But I can indeed do better on the storage; I'm using an old illy tin and a tupperware container. I wanted to get one of these semi-vacuum sealed containers in the long term.

In good news: the ROK grinder has made it out of the airport and is now in the hands of the postal service. It's expected tomorrow. Unfortunately I have to run some errands, so I hope that when I'm gone, the neighbours will take it in.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

According to James Hoffman those special coffee canisters have limited use. If you just leave your coffee in the bag out of sunlight it tastes pretty much the same weeks later if you had put it in the canisters. I'm just using a mason jar.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Mu Zeta posted:

According to James Hoffman those special coffee canisters have limited use. If you just leave your coffee in the bag out of sunlight it tastes pretty much the same weeks later if you had put it in the canisters. I'm just using a mason jar.

Yeah that video is exactly why I wanted to look at the cheapest of the vacuum ones. The bags I have are usually not resealable and he said he did notice a difference between containers that are merely airtight and the ones that depressurize a little. I might reconsider once I see the prices though, haven't looked at them yet.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It's worth emphasising that Hoffmann only recommends storing beans in the bags that they came in as long as they have proper seals for re-sealing each time, accompanied by a one-way valve. Quite a few coffee bags don't have one or both of these. For this reason, something like an Airscape is always a good idea to have lying around, even if most bags will be suitable for long-term storage.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The impression I got was that they all pretty much tasted the same even weeks later. He liked the expensive one mostly because it looked nicer and was better built. It's all moot if we drink the coffee within a week or two of roasting anyway. I don't think a lot of people posting here are drinking months old coffee by choice.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 11, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lol I store all my roasted coffee in heavy ziplocs, no valves

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014
Is using a glass container with a lid almost as good as vacuum sealing?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

evilolive posted:

Is using a glass container with a lid almost as good as vacuum sealing?

The wisdom is to avoid transparent containers as light accelerates the staling of the beans. Better to put it into a tupper container instead.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

The wisdom is to avoid transparent containers as light accelerates the staling of the beans. Better to put it into a tupper container instead.
Or you can put it in a cupboard.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

mystes posted:

Or you can put it in a cupboard.

I roll up my bag and put it in a mason jar 🤷🏻‍♂️

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I store my beans in a candy dish on a sunny windowsill.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
i open a fresh bag of beans every day for my mokapot. the leftovers go in the trash

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

I keep whole beans at home, but generally have been keeping preground coffee at my desk. I’m definitely not going to be the guy trying to run an electric grinder in an office environment.

What’s the noise level like for one of these midrange hand grinders? I was looking at the 1zpresso JX. Something like that mega irritating in an office?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nuurd posted:

I keep whole beans at home, but generally have been keeping preground coffee at my desk. I’m definitely not going to be the guy trying to run an electric grinder in an office environment.

What’s the noise level like for one of these midrange hand grinders? I was looking at the 1zpresso JX. Something like that mega irritating in an office?
Grinding beans in the morning to drink later in the day probably isn't the end of the world.

If you use a hand grinder I'd be less worried about noise and more about all your coworkers making fun of you forever.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

mystes posted:

Grinding beans in the morning to drink later in the day probably isn't the end of the world.

If you use a hand grinder I'd be less worried about noise and more about all your coworkers making fun of you forever.

Hi there , it's me , that guy freshly grinding and using the inverted aeropress method on-top of scales in the office kitchen

Yeah, what of it :c00lbutt:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

mystes posted:

Back in the olden days of working in an office, I was lucky to have a door to close so nobody would see me using a hand grinder. I eventually switched to an electric grinder and got more compliments about my office smelling like coffee than complaints about the noise.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

i am extremely skeptical of the light doing anything past whatever ridiculously low distance it's able to penetrate the bean

mystes
May 31, 2006

Actually, I was previously saved from being "that guy" when I was using an aeropress at the office because there was another guy doing practically a whole tea ceremony thing with matcha. Now that I think about it, I might have been able to get away with a hand grinder without anyone noticing.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

mystes posted:

Both grinding at home and social awkwardness have occurred to me :)

If I’m going to grind at home, I’m just going to brew at home too, and bring a thermos.

The politics around coffee are weird in my office. We actually have free coffee, purchased from a local roaster, ground in big machines in the break area immediately before brewing, but it’s still famously crap. Unsure if it’s the water temp, the coffee:water ratio, or what, but no one likes it despite the fairly high expense. It was so contentious about 10 years ago that it’s A Thing to complain about it. Either drink it or don’t.

We have a surprising number of illicit Keurigs at folks’ desks, a drip at mine, and a few folks rolling around with presses. Management gives it a pass so long as no one complains or starts a fire.

My team seems willing to tolerate or engage in all manner of oddness, but I definitely cannot accidentally make some kind of loud, unwelcome mechanical noise if they’re on a call with the other offices overseas 6 feet away.

Not that my team and I will be back at my office for months anyway. I was mostly just interested in experimenting with a moderate hand grinder when I already have a serviceable electric grinder at the house, and was spitballing whether it might serve a niche at the office when/if I go back.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have considered getting an Aeropress for the office as well. Is it easy to clean, like knock out the basket over the trash can and let water run through the chamber?

My office is fairly conservative and I don't really wanna stick out with a weird contraption. but there's at least one coworker who's also brewing really nice tea every day. Also, everyone constantly complains over the bad coffee. So I might as well cultivate some coffee cumture.

I can't bring in a complex setup, but something where I can just add hot water and pre portioned coffee that can be cleaned quickly would work.

I wanna know how Aeropress tastes and works, I'll probably get it anyway.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The taste of an Aeropress lies somewhere between moka pot and french press. It’s nice. It’s very easy to clean, just pop the coffee puck out into the bin and rinse the stuff off with leftover hot water from the kettle. Simple.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 12, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have considered getting an Aeropress for the office as well. Is it easy to clean, like knock out the basket over the trash can and let water run through the chamber?

My office is fairly conservative and I don't really wanna stick out with a weird contraption. but there's at least one coworker who's also brewing really nice tea every day. Also, everyone constantly complains over the bad coffee. So I might as well cultivate some coffee cumture.

I can't bring in a complex setup, but something where I can just add hot water and pre portioned coffee that can be cleaned quickly would work.

It's perhaps little too fiddly in terms of brewing if you get into stuff like inverted brewing but as long as you use the paper filters it comes with, it's dead simple to clean (you just pop out the ground and filter with zero mess), so it's very good for an office in that sense.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Lord Stimperor posted:

I use a metal filter and prefer it over the paper filters. It makes the cleaning slightly more fiddly but it's still a 20 second affair in the sink

From my experience it sounds like what you are after.

You don't need to do the inverted method for a good coffee and the aeropress can be quite forgiving when you get the hang of it

It's a nice Americano type thing , short and strong

MustacheNet
Dec 26, 2011

screaden posted:

So what's the recommended entry level espresso machine these days? I've only done a quick search and it looks I'll be spending around $1,000 AUD. Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silva seem to be the most common

Focus on the grinder not the machine starting out and a grinder will outlast an entry level machine. Go in on a Sette 270/Vario or equivalent and Breville Bambino as a starter or something like it. If you really like dealing with this whole mess then jump the machine up to a good HX or dual boiler and skip the Silvia/Classic level. A great grinder and a Bambino will outperform a Silvia/Classic with a cheaper grinder.

Bambino looks like it only comes with dual wall baskets so plan on finding a single wall for $20 or so off the bat. If you're using pre-ground all the time, get a Nespresso.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

mystes posted:

Alternatively you make friends with that one really important person IT or VP and it makes it all worth it.

Got my SR540 and Extension tube w/ modified chaff collector up and running! My first roast was AWESOME despite having it run on 'COOL' cycle for 30 seconds in the middle of the roast. Whoops.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Nuurd posted:

Hand grinders are probably about as quiet as you can get with coffee. All the noise is just the beans getting crunched up at relatively slow speed, no whirring motors or anything, so it's audible but not actually loud

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Klades posted:

Hand grinders are probably about as quiet as you can get with coffee. All the noise is just the beans getting crunched up at relatively slow speed, no whirring motors or anything, so it's audible but not actually loud

My 5yo, during a tv show, vehemently disagrees.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Nuurd posted:

Different sound, but not louder than a microwave or a filling up a bottle of water at a sink

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I had these same mental gymnastics when I was deciding if I wanted to take my Clever to work. I did it and yeah some people were confused and I still get questions about it but :synthy:

I’m also doing decaf (which we don’t have) so it’s easier to justify. I think the scales are just as confusing to people as grinding my own beans tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
People just don’t know how to weigh things in the US. If you do, you probably do a fair amount of baking/preserving or know someone who does who converted you. I know I bought my mother her first scale (and thermometer :facepalm: ) after I had moved out and wanted them when I visited.

I rounded out my coffee prep accessories this week with a V60 pour over. It’s really a much different tasting cup and I wish I’d done it ages ago. It’ll probably supplant the French press for most days at least for a while.