Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't donate specifically because I'll still get ads if I do. I'll snap up 5 tickets every time for the tour, though.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Plan Z posted:

I always wonder what they were thinking with this. I've been listening to Mission to Zyxx lately, and there is just this one kinda nasty donation plead after they joined MaxFun where they were really lovely to their listeners for listening without paying. They tried to qualify a lot of it by saying they spent a ton of money to have an orchestra perform the theme song, which was mixed with so much bass that it was almost unintelligible when I heard it. It makes me actually a little too agitated to give these people any money.

Wow, I really came away from that Zyxx plead differently. I remember hearing it and thinking about how genuinely grateful they were to their supporters. It convinced me to subscribe to Maximum Fun after two years of hard-heartedly listening to the McElroys for free.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Alaois posted:

i used to like the MaxFunDrive because it meant John Hodgeman would force the Flophouse boys to watch completely wretched filth like Nothing But Trouble and 1941 but now that doesn't even happen anymore so it can go in the trash

I've never listened to The Flop House but Nothing But Trouble is a buckwild touchstone of my youth and I recently rewatched it, so thanks for mentioning this. I dropped everything and went to find this episode (it's 200 if people care).

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

Wow, I really came away from that Zyxx plead differently. I remember hearing it and thinking about how genuinely grateful they were to their supporters. It convinced me to subscribe to Maximum Fun after two years of hard-heartedly listening to the McElroys for free.

Maybe I'm mixing up some of them. There was one drive plead that I heard was actually really gracious. The one that I was talking about before though had like no thanks and was like "if you're listening, you should have donated."

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Yeah I think you might've gotten mixed up, the Zyxx one was super heartfelt in thanking people for supporting them (I remember Alden's voice cracking, lol) and I don't remember any shaming of non-donators at all.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I'm pretty sure the MtZ one was about how grateful they were to their Patreon backers for sticking with them through the transition, and how thankful they were for the MaxFun community accepting them and donating for them. The orchestral thing was them letting the Patreon people know what happened with the last of their donations before going to MaxFun and letting them know they're still taking it seriously.

The only genuinely sour plea I remember came from Jesse Thorne in a message that I think got put into shows besides just his own.

e: IIRC, they and Dr. Gameshow both got brought on so near the MaxFun drive they basically had to prove themselves within those 2 weeks or get dropped. I can't imagine they would've been rude to a whole new audience with their show on the line.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 10, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Erwin posted:

I've never listened to The Flop House but Nothing But Trouble is a buckwild touchstone of my youth and I recently rewatched it, so thanks for mentioning this. I dropped everything and went to find this episode (it's 200 if people care).

If you're interested in any more the last one was particularly good. A crazy Nicholas cage movie called Between Worlds. They're celebrating their annual holiday Cagemas in July

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I was opening my podcast app looking for a show to listen to and what did I find? Nothing But Trouble.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

um excuse me posted:

I don't donate specifically because I'll still get ads if I do. I'll snap up 5 tickets every time for the tour, though.

Yeah having ads and a fund drive is a little egregious IMO but nobody asked me.

Big thanks to the poster giving me permission not to donate to the ad supported network though, what would I do without you :rolleyes:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
The podcaster grinned as turned the volume up on his luxury sports car's stereo. In the passenger's seat were suitcases full of bills, some marked "NatureBox Spots", some "Secret KFC Sponsorship", and one simply "Lin". But in the unfathomable void of his neoliberal heart, right next to indifference to the sins of his billionaire BFFs, was an all-consuming hunger for even more. Being a NYT bestselling author, canon Troll and Seeso icon wasn't enough for him. He considered the Black people and Covid patients he was driving past. Aha! He had found his next delightful game.

John Hodgman's voice echoed down the street: "ARTIST OWNED, AUDIENCE SUPPORTED".

More seriously, I'm guessing the drive is less for the McElroys or Jesse Thorn, who'd probably be fine without it, and more for the hosts of more obscure shows who may in fact need a little help in these troubled times.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A rare "this is so fun we're gonna keep going" for Monster Factory, how exciting.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Stroop There It Is posted:

Yeah I think you might've gotten mixed up, the Zyxx one was super heartfelt in thanking people for supporting them (I remember Alden's voice cracking, lol) and I don't remember any shaming of non-donators at all.

The drive I was thinking of was done by Seth.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Plan Z posted:

The drive I was thinking of was done by Seth.

I went back through old episode intros, sounds like you are probably talking about S3E2. That got a little self-admittedly preachy but I think was not out of line; there was also plenty of thanks. He acknowledged there were a lot of good reasons why people might have their priorities elsewhere but also called out people who could spare the money but were relying on others to contribute. He was explicitly making a pitch to convert some of those bystander-effect people into supporters.

I think that actually might have been the pitch that worked on me, rather than Alden's. Maybe because I did feel personally called out? It was kind of a guilt trip which is a low move, but it was also very honest and I appreciate that. It's one thing to say "thank you very much, your support means the world to us" but I can hear that all day and not really care about giving warm fuzzies to my favorite video game brothers. But when a group of artists says "look, this support is all that's keeping the lights on for the show, please donate if you can" then it makes me listen harder. If they're exaggerating and all the pledge support is just gravy on top of their MaxFun ad money then that's lovely and manipulative, but that is not the impression I got.

Anyway before I take my cheeseburger and Frosty to go I'd also like to say that Travis had a good line about "Hank's Greens" in the latest show and it didn't get enough love as they were transitioning to another bit.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb7oUZsYXrk

LMM bit was great. :colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
god that was a solid bit

"DON'T TELL DISNEY PLUS ABOUT THIS"

"Call up Bob Iger tell him there's a podcast he needs to listen to"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
a loving journey of natty gann reference

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The seeso show would honestly be almost a perfect fit for Disney+, if they sanitize it a tiny bit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But I gotta have my vape!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The seeso show would honestly be almost a perfect fit for Disney+, if they sanitize it a tiny bit

Disney should hire them and film them going to schools across the country to connect to the youth

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Sankis posted:

Disney should hire them and film them going to schools across the country to connect to the youth

Even Disney can't disappear enough children to keep the clown box fed

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Erwin posted:

That one and the followup (1942) are so good, definitely among the best Flop House episodes ever. Those two make me wish they would go back and do episodes on classic bad movies more often. I’m not sure they can top those though. It says a lot about the movie that John was originally only going to do Nothing but Trouble, but when he found out they had never done one on 1942 he immediately asked if they would do one so he could be on it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I know this is like the third time I've posted about this but I can't get over it. "If you called yourself a gamer 20 years ago, a lot of people might called have you weird. Those same people might call you weird for driving an electric car now."

No...... no I don't think that's true?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you call yourself a gamer now I think you're weird

GoldenJoe
Aug 9, 2006

Sankara posted:

I know this is like the third time I've posted about this but I can't get over it. "If you called yourself a gamer 20 years ago, a lot of people might called have you weird. Those same people might call you weird for driving an electric car now."

Welp, I was going to say it would be weird because I didn't think gamer was used for video games for that long, but after going to the "Gamer" wikipedia page and reading this, I stopped caring.

quote:

Compared to seminal titles like DOOM, more recent mass-market action games like the Call of Duty series are less sensitive to player choice or skill, approaching the status of interactive movies.

DOOM, well known for its bounty of choice and demanding challenges. So many demons you can choose to kill with the shotgun in highly skillful "Crabwalk back and forth to dodge projectiles" combat. I'm done. So uh... how about that monster factory!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

GoldenJoe posted:

Welp, I was going to say it would be weird because I didn't think gamer was used for video games for that long, but after going to the "Gamer" wikipedia page and reading this, I stopped caring.

DOOM, well known for its bounty of choice and demanding challenges. So many demons you can choose to kill with the shotgun in highly skillful "Crabwalk back and forth to dodge projectiles" combat. I'm done. So uh... how about that monster factory!

DOOM is definitely harder than CoD single player or basically any other modern single player game (except the ones specifically designed to be hard, soulslikes, cuphead, etc)

GoldenJoe posted:

This is true, most single-player games are designed to be accessible to a much wider audience (and accessible means "you can beat it without getting frustrated and quitting")

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

GoldenJoe posted:

lmao you've never played doom

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Sankara posted:

Jeff Gerstmann, who has been doing game coverage since like 1992, talked a couple months ago about how "gamer" used to be a term almost exclusively used by marketers until it was adopted by people in the 360 era or whatever. I don't know how true it is but I thought it was interesting

edit: unless you mean the electric car part

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea 'gamer' before fairly recently would be weird to call yourself just because it'd be like going 'yea, I'm a bit of a consumer' or something, labeling yourself as marketing terms is weird.

I have no idea who's calling anyone 'weird' for driving an electric car, unless they mean people getting dunked on for being Tesla fanboys

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The connotation of "gamer" before like 2008 would have exclusively brought up the image of some Goony dweller, even among Goony dwellers. Then, once stuff like CoD made gaming mainstream, it just kind of became a cringe thing to say in general. The word never really had a chance to not suck.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

How old is Justin? I remember the Taco Bell Mir thing, I'm surprised he didn't.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kazy posted:

How old is Justin? I remember the Taco Bell Mir thing, I'm surprised he didn't.

He's 39

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

When I first told my mom I listened to podcasts all day at work, she visibly scowled at me, mostly because of Boomer energy at anything that she didn't really know about. Then, I introduced her to Sawbones when she said she felt like she wasn't receiving enough real information on COVID. I now make visits to their house on days off to chain-listen to Sawbones episodes with her. Sydney is now like a hero to her. It's kind of a shame that they're chasing a TAZ series when Sawbones or MBMBAM should be the real story.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I finally had to unsubscribe from Still Buffering, it’s really become just a bunch of complaining and being preachy, and like some may find that good to listen to but it’s just so draining to listen to honestly

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i've been listening to the podcast [and inspiration for riddle me piss] Hey Riddle Riddle recently and really enjoying it. justin's a guest in episode 12 if that's so important to you

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Plan Z posted:

When I first told my mom I listened to podcasts all day at work, she visibly scowled at me, mostly because of Boomer energy at anything that she didn't really know about. Then, I introduced her to Sawbones when she said she felt like she wasn't receiving enough real information on COVID. I now make visits to their house on days off to chain-listen to Sawbones episodes with her. Sydney is now like a hero to her. It's kind of a shame that they're chasing a TAZ series when Sawbones or MBMBAM should be the real story.

I'm jealous. I tried to get my mom hooked on Sawbones, instead she got hooked on alternative medicine podcasts that just happen to have anti-vax guests on all the time. But don't worry! They're just asking questions, there's no harm in listening to them, and "they make some interesting points" along with being anti-vax!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I got my mom into Sawbones too. But my mom is also an actual medical doctor and is more interested in the medical history stories than current events.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Zero One posted:

I got my mom into Sawbones too. But my mom is also an actual medical doctor and is more interested in the medical history stories than current events.

My mom's into both. She was cackling during the episode on The Knick where Syd read out the report that the doctor wrote while blasted on cocaine.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
:same:

Justin trying to not let on exactly how much cocaine he has done was also very good for a laugh.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I finally had to unsubscribe from Still Buffering, it’s really become just a bunch of complaining and being preachy, and like some may find that good to listen to but it’s just so draining to listen to honestly

I’m surprised that it would turn into that, given that it’s supposed to be three sisters talking about things they like. I mean I haven’t listened in a while since every topic lately has been something I don’t care about but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

yeah actually they will posted:

i've been listening to the podcast [and inspiration for riddle me piss] Hey Riddle Riddle recently and really enjoying it. justin's a guest in episode 12 if that's so important to you

Hey Riddle Riddle is a good podcast even when Justin isn't on it. Erin and JPC are great, and Adal is, in basically every way, Travis.