Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

NinjaTech posted:

They would have been a little easier if the clamp on parts were actually the 7/8 size instead of having the inserts. They look pretty good in white too, pretty funny that we got the same style.

How have you been liking yours? My only real problem is how hard the seat is. Replacing the mirrors with the ram mount ones helped a lot too.

The inserts drove me absolutely nuts. How much did you have to trim off the throttle end of the grip? I was having trouble with my throttle sticking until I trimmed a fair amount off.

Agreed, the seat is a bit hard for long rides although I did take it on a 50 mile adventure last weekend. Compared to my DR350SE it’s like sitting on a bench instead of a couch. Other than that it’s a nice little bike. Smooth engine if not particularly powerful, and nice brakes. I wouldn’t make it my primary bike but it’s a nice weekender for farm roads and trails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The inserts drove me absolutely nuts. How much did you have to trim off the throttle end of the grip? I was having trouble with my throttle sticking until I trimmed a fair amount off.

Agreed, the seat is a bit hard for long rides although I did take it on a 50 mile adventure last weekend. Compared to my DR350SE it’s like sitting on a bench instead of a couch. Other than that it’s a nice little bike. Smooth engine if not particularly powerful, and nice brakes. I wouldn’t make it my primary bike but it’s a nice weekender for farm roads and trails.

I ended up trimming just under 1/2" off. I cut the grip off the end of the tube then drilled it out bigger. Stuck the bar end hardware in the bar and measured from that to the end of the tube with my digital caliper and added about .020". It worked out really well for me. There's pretty minimal gap but nothing touches or hangs up.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Dug the ktm out of the back of the shop after four months of sitting. Lubed the chain, pumped the tires up, poured fuel in, registered/insured it and went for a ride.

Longest I've been off a bike in 10 years. Good to have rectified that problem.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

best ktm :henget:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I did the Goldwing stator connector-ectomy and not a moment too soon it seems

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why do they always use those connectors? Even on modern efi bikes with waterproof couplers everywhere, the RR/stator junction is more often than not just a plain white spade connector with no waterproofing whatsoever.

I've even seen a bike where the crank position sensor is a proper waterproof connector and the stator plug coming out of the same bit of wiring is just a big white block of garbage.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Because it’s Honda and despite being a multi billion dollar global company employing some of the most talented engineers in existence, they cannot, CANNOT figure out regulators, rectifiers and stators.

Also that connector was already soldered in so someone has hosed with either the stator or the connector sometime in the bikes life.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Because it’s Honda and despite being a multi billion dollar global company employing some of the most talented engineers in existence, they cannot, CANNOT figure out regulators, rectifiers and stators.

Also that connector was already soldered in so someone has hosed with either the stator or the connector sometime in the bikes life.

Why the gently caress is this?
CBR600
VFR800 twice!
GL1000

When will I learn?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Last night I replaced the chain (having done the sprockets on an earlier night, and checked the rear wheel bearings) and took the DR350SE on a quick 5 mile inaugural ride. Everything seems good so far, it's very divey on the front brake, not sure how much adjustment I have to play with or if it's just my weight (about 230#). Only got it up to about 50 mph but seemed to handle ok.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Start with just changing the fork oil if you haven't. Just getting new oil with the same level/viscosity as stock does help a lot on fork dive(or check like advrider/thumpertalk on whats the reccomended oil weight). cartridge emulator or correctly sprung springs are not that expensive if it's a bike you plan to keep.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Supradog posted:

Start with just changing the fork oil if you haven't. Just getting new oil with the same level/viscosity a stock does help a lot on fork dive. cartridge emulator or correctly sprung springs are not that expensive if it's a bike you plan to keep.

Sweet, never changed fork oil before so off to watch some YouTube how-to videos. I'd love to keep it but that will probably be depending on the kindness of a friend to store it for a year or two. Might be easier to sell in a few months unfortunately.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

from what i can see with some quick googling most people use 15wt oil, stock was 10wt.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Tyro posted:

Sweet, never changed fork oil before so off to watch some YouTube how-to videos. I'd love to keep it but that will probably be depending on the kindness of a friend to store it for a year or two. Might be easier to sell in a few months unfortunately.

Use fork oil, too.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Use fork oil, too.

... do people accidentally use motor oil or something?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Use baby oil for that scent early warning when your forks leak.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I use ATF. Will I regret that? :ohdear:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
If you're keeping the bike, change the springs and just dump out the fork oil and put in new up to whatever level is appropriate (I would not personally bother with the process of actually fully changing it out for a dr350 if I did not already know how or did not really want to learn how to do it, it can be a pain and you may need special tools). Appropriate springs for riders of any weight will make their suspension a lot better.

If you're not keeping the bike, just ride it as is for a few months.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ulf posted:

I use ATF. Will I regret that? :ohdear:

If you have something from the 70's then nah that's fine.

If you have something more modern with simple damping rod forks, like most cheap Japanese bikes, you'll be fine but the damping qualities won't be ideal.

If you have cartridge forks then yeah it won't really work properly at all.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It’s the ‘97 Nighthawk, aka a bored-out ‘80s-designed CB650 with all the components swapped out for the cheapest thing in the parts bin. Guess I’m not missing much but I’ll put proper oil in it next time.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

pulled the triple clamps and inspected the bearings for the first time at 22000mi. OEM grease looked 👌🏼

swapping out levers tomorrow!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just wired up a micro usb cable and a usb-c cable to the motorcycle battery, to charge my GoPros on the move without relying on their batteries, so now I am only limited by SD card capacity.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

1TB SD card. :boom:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Unfortunately the largest a GoPro can reliably support is 256GB, and even that's pushing it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

SD cards fail too often for me to get an expensive rear end one bigger than 128gb.

Sandisk just sent me a replacement 64gb I sent in for RMA 2 weeks ago.

Currently running 128gb ones in both GoPros.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Not my bike :crossarms:

This is probably still good, right?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

doing a rebuild over gravel sounds like a bad idea :ohdear:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's just in my carport for dry storage, we move the table out over the asphalt to do the work.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I installed some mini speakers in my helmet and a little Bluetooth receiver. Pretty neat compared to one of the Sena systems, I don't need to talk to anyone.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What receiver, and how well does it work?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The receiver is one of these, works well though I'm sceptical it will be loud enough on the autoroute. I only went for a short spin though.

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/xiaomi-bluetooth-audio-receiver-receiver-bluetooth-audio-adapters-10032225

In terms of its functionality, no issues at all. It's really neat.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

I installed some mini speakers in my helmet and a little Bluetooth receiver. Pretty neat compared to one of the Sena systems, I don't need to talk to anyone.

Are those the JBL speakers from a Cardo kit, or a different model?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jazzzzz posted:

Are those the JBL speakers from a Cardo kit, or a different model?

Yes the Cardo ones. My Shoei has cutouts they fit into and the kit comes with velcro pads the speakers can grab onto. Very helpful that the helmet lining is removable.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had to get to a physio appointment in record time so took the bike, haven't been on it in over a month six weeks now. Feels good man.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 14, 2020

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I've upgraded as a piece of poo poo PO. I put a 4 gallon Acerbis tank on my Husqvarna FC350 and had to swap the fuel pump over. The fuel pump had a significant kink on the fuel filter line so I cut out the entire fuel filter line, replaced it with submersible fuel line, and then put an in-line fuel filter on the outside between the tank and the quick disconnect (with little baby top hat fuel filter). Pray for my injectors now and at the ART hour of it's death.

The main problem I'm hoping I remedied was when I took the bike in sumo mode on a road course where you're pretty much WOT in top gear the whole time, it would start dying after sustained open throttle. Shakedown ride felt normal so hopefully I don't die.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

right arm posted:

pulled the triple clamps and inspected the bearings for the first time at 22000mi. OEM grease looked 👌🏼

swapping out levers tomorrow!

swapped levers and finally installed a LiFePo4 battery. rode my first squid ride in probably 10 years as I was too lazy to put any gear on besides a helmet to zip up and down I40 to make sure I’d have a ride for tomorrow’s commute :D

starts much stronger. poor old OEM lead acid battery was definitely on its last legs. never used a tender in its past three years of life and had started it plenty of times in below freezing weather. so long yuasa, you were a good rear end battery, but 40% off a name brand LiFePo4 was too good of a deal :(

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I forget, are you still on the SAR?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Is the only reason lifepo4 isn't more popular because you can only sell one every 7 years?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Quality on most of the first gen bike lipos was craaaaaap. no low-voltage cutoffs or integrated charging circuitry. And there is still cheapo units sold that lacks this. The weight loss if you don't race is really not worth it. Cold crank Amps is the only real benefit, but the battery type dont like the cold so much..

There was a post somewhere that had disassembly of some faulty units, cant find it right now. real horror show with crap quality and solutions.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

I forget, are you still on the SAR?

:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just take a poo poo before you ride, boom, lifepo advantage for free