Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Just had a game as Wraith where I got everyone and one person said "Nice gen camp, moron" after.

Am I missing something here? What in the world can he be mad at about me knocking them off generators? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Salty players are going to be salty regardless of logic. I had someone gg ez me after I double hooked him and triple hook sacrificed everyone else

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gloomy Rube posted:

Just had a game as Wraith where I got everyone and one person said "Nice gen camp, moron" after.

Am I missing something here? What in the world can he be mad at about me knocking them off generators? :v:

I'm sure there has to be something else that causes the reactions DBD does in that regard but insofar as I've ever seen, nobody gets mad about non-existent, only-in-your-head poo poo like a DBD player.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Mobas and fighting games. Basically games where it's not obvious how to improve.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gloomy Rube posted:

He's probably mad because you mutilated him and sacrificed him to the void.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Anything by a Killer besides letting the survivor win is toxic facecamping. Now allow me to do my buttdance for winning a game where the odds were numerically vastly in my favor to start with

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Just had a survivor run out the map with an activated reverse bear trap on em, lovely.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Did they get the hatch? Trap won't pop if they get the hatch.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
They changed it after the end game collapse was included.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

TGLT posted:

Mobas and fighting games. Basically games where it's not obvious how to improve.

this and as an extension gamers are horrible at handling dis-empowerment

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

TGLT posted:

Did they get the hatch? Trap won't pop if they get the hatch.

I literally watched them run out because I expected it to pop.

Also just got put up against a sweatlord crew of a red 4stack, this loving matchmaking.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I don't understand why they don't just balance the game around 4 man stacks, every other game does that, they don't just pretend that you can't communicate outside of the game.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

honestly limiting it to 2 people would be the easiest way, and also don't put people with like 20 hours of playtime in a queue with 4 red ranks maybe.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I try to think of it more as my K:D ratio and by that standard I'm doing OK, although, of course, better on some characters.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

do lunges count as basic attacks in terms of perks?(specifically Surge)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yes.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So consensus around the big streamers is that as Billy is currently in the PTB, he's dead. You can't curve with him, you can't mindgame, his add-ons are trash, and the cooldown and delays on the chainsaw make it nearly impossible to use in a chase. He's an M1 killer who can occasionally traverse the map. Plus all the usual bugs are there and amplified.

Personally, he's reminescent of Pyramid Head, where the punishment for trying to use his power in any creative manner at all is so severe that you simply play the M1 game and wait for a guaranteed power use (catching someone outside of a loop). Fun stuff. The overheat mechanic opens up no new opportunities or interesting things on either side, and any notable new addons are just there to manage the heat mechanic. And it's not even clear what they're trying to achieve with the overheat mechanic when all they had to do was look at the Carburetor Tuning Guide and give him an interesting iridescent. He was the one killer most of the community looked to as a great example of a simple, powerful killer who had plenty of counterplay, and since there's no way of interpreting this as anything other than a massive dicking...

Next up - they'll add a fatigue mechanic to Huntress or something. Replace iridescent head with "hatchets now apply Deep Wounds" or something.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah. It seems like they wanted to limit Billy's backrev so you had to be pickier when you went for it, but with this change that's pretty much all he's permitted to do now. This was way loving overboard and I hope they either drop it or at least seriously overhaul it. Like give it double cooldown speed and an exponential curve on the heat growth so it only gets punishing if you've been revving for 5 seconds or something.

Boba Pearl posted:

I don't understand why they don't just balance the game around 4 man stacks, every other game does that, they don't just pretend that you can't communicate outside of the game.

Most games also have more communication features so there's at least some parity between randos and full groups. Basically one needs to come before the other and they've been dragging their feet about in game info.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Picked up Dead By Daylight because a friend started playing and it was on sale. After reading the last few pages of this thread I'm happy that my hunch of survivors being pretty heavily favored was right. The game is fun, though I haven't yet played as the killer. One issue I'm running into is the abundance of icons with no hover-text, I'm sure with time it'll be easy, but man is it frustrating looking at a set of maluses and not being sure what they all mean. Is there a general guide to the icons and what they all mean, or should I just not worry about it and know that "broken bone" is just bad and probably means I'm slower or worse at actions or both? The talent that Meg gets allowing everyone to see each-other if someone is hooked has proven very useful to coordinating with people, are there others (apart from spine chill apparently) that I should probably consider?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Which gets me to thinking about Friday the 13th, a game that also didn't have in-game communication (barring the radios you could pick up), yet it never turbofucked Jason because every version of him had enough mobility options that you couldn't just go "Yo he's playing Part 4 and after me at the barn, go fix the car, he won't have any traps". Odds were by the time you did that, the chase would be resolved and he'd be somewhere else.

Also that person doing the information relaying would probably be dead, not infinitely hanging about on a hook. F13 had much better pacing :v:

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 9, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Chakan posted:

Picked up Dead By Daylight because a friend started playing and it was on sale. After reading the last few pages of this thread I'm happy that my hunch of survivors being pretty heavily favored was right. The game is fun, though I haven't yet played as the killer. One issue I'm running into is the abundance of icons with no hover-text, I'm sure with time it'll be easy, but man is it frustrating looking at a set of maluses and not being sure what they all mean. Is there a general guide to the icons and what they all mean, or should I just not worry about it and know that "broken bone" is just bad and probably means I'm slower or worse at actions or both? The talent that Meg gets allowing everyone to see each-other if someone is hooked has proven very useful to coordinating with people, are there others (apart from spine chill apparently) that I should probably consider?

Here's all the status effects with their associated icons. The broken bone is Mangled, meaning you heal slower. It is important to recognize what those icons mean. Also that perk, Kindred, isn't Meg unique fortunately. Perks that are unique to characters are called their teachables. They're the three it shows you starting with when you first open the bloodweb and I think they're on the info page of a character. They aren't totally unique - you can unlock them for everyone at 30, 35, and 40 respectively.

As for the survivor tilt, yeah the game's tilted in favor of an organized group of survivors although not so much a group of randos. You also gotta take into account the map and the killer. The issue over the last page doesn't really effect the overall survivor/killer balance, it just reduces the number of killers who are viable against a good group of survivors. Bad for variety, not a huge blow to overall balance.

BHVR, the company, is definitely better about addressing survivor concerns than killer concerns though.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

TGLT posted:

Yeah. It seems like they wanted to limit Billy's backrev so you had to be pickier when you went for it, but with this change that's pretty much all he's permitted to do now. This was way loving overboard and I hope they either drop it or at least seriously overhaul it. Like give it double cooldown speed and an exponential curve on the heat growth so it only gets punishing if you've been revving for 5 seconds or something.

I really doubt they're going to drop the heat system. Good work hours went into designing and coding that poo poo, and the reaction isn't even universally negative - Billy's not the most popular killer to play as, and some survivor mains just love to see a strong killer get gutted, not realising a nerfed billy today is a new spirit main tomorrow (or oni, let's be honest).

I saw one cute idea that reduced charge time as the heat level went up. I don't know how that would work in practice, but Billy was the balanced killer before! If you're gonna hobble him like this, you need to give him something in return. (No, an addon which gives you 0.2m/s extra movement speed while someone's shining a flashlight on you is not something in return)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Been having some really odd server issues. One game as Ghostface, I was lagging so badly I appeared to be teleporting halfway around the map. Everyone escaped except one Nancy, who I guess must have also noticed as she came all the way over to teabag. I did manage to hook her in spite of it :v:

Then another game where everything was fine, unless I got near one specific Bill. Then he was jumping around all over the place while I tried to blindly swing at his coughing noises. Only hooked him once, which resulted in him hanging in midair somewhere to the right of the hook.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I had a survivor hanging on one of the basement walls at some point, though none of the other stuff you describe.

Though to be honest I'm so new I really wouldn't be able to tell the difference a survivor glitching everywhere and me just losing them in a chase.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've seen a massive increase in survivors getting hooked "in the basement" except they wind up floating in the air in or around the shack lately. Like, at least five times this week and I haven't even played a lot.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BHVR quality as usual

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I had a fun time just now. I was using that perk that lets you become hidden if you're not moving since I was down to one survivor and had already closed the hatch. (I had mori'd two of them prior so at this point it was just gravy.) I saw the last survivor inching forwards into the field of view - I turned a little, it was them and not a vulture or something... I started to walk towards them and they just froze!

Unfortunately for them I was Myers and using the hair tuft so that ended quickly, but that sure sells the game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Wow, I never really messed around with Lightborn but it's funny as poo poo. People just stand around dumbstruck that they can't stun you at will every time you kick a pallet

Orv
May 4, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Wow, I never really messed around with Lightborn but it's funny as poo poo. People just stand around dumbstruck that they can't stun you at will every time you kick a pallet

The most incredible part of Lightborn, that I could have sworn someone has posted before, is that they just don't realize or something that you have it. They keep trying to blind you the entire game. I can only imagine the "Goddamn dedicated servers!" howling going on on their end.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I think there's enough good players that can still get a hit in, even while blinded, that survivors that aren't used to lightborn existing don't get the message that they should give up.

I'd rather not give up a perk slot for it but I've blinded enough times that I think it'll pay off until people stop bieng assholes with flashlights.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I like when survivors get smug and click at you when you're blinded. Thanks for letting me know where to swing, buddy :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Today a group of survivors called me out in post game for having hella expensive headset because I pretty followed them via hearing alone after getting blinded multiple times. They were good natured about it but drat if it didn't feel a little dirty tracking them while totally blind.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
You mean it feels great.

Just got out of a match on Backwater Swamp. Survivors all had flashlights and refused to not try and flashlight save. But I was Oni, so I just didn't pick up and instead slammed them. Spent the entire match around the pantry bopping them, hooking one or two, sucking up all the blood because no one healed and no one left the pantry, then repeating until they all died with only one gen finished. Got a little salt for it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

TGLT posted:

You mean it feels great.

Just got out of a match on Backwater Swamp. Survivors all had flashlights and refused to not try and flashlight save. But I was Oni, so I just didn't pick up and instead slammed them. Spent the entire match around the pantry bopping them, hooking one or two, sucking up all the blood because no one healed and no one left the pantry, then repeating until they all died with only one gen finished. Got a little salt for it.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, it's hella satisfying running down doofus survivors who try to flashlight me, especially when they aren't even running Iron Will.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Apparently there's a bug (that's getting fixed in the next patch) where male survivors can't blind the killer if they pick up a flashlight, unless they started the trial with one in the first place.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SaffronKit posted:

Today a group of survivors called me out in post game for having hella expensive headset because I pretty followed them via hearing alone after getting blinded multiple times. They were good natured about it but drat if it didn't feel a little dirty tracking them while totally blind.

Sounds like it’s time to main Spirit if you don’t already!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dawgstar posted:

Sounds like it’s time to main Spirit if you don’t already!

That's a pass, I'd rather play Wraith instead.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

Apparently there's a bug (that's getting fixed in the next patch) where male survivors can't blind the killer if they pick up a flashlight, unless they started the trial with one in the first place.

That is an impressive sort of code gently caress up.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There's another bugfix in the PTB patch that is also very :psyduck:

quote:

Fixed an issue that allowed loading into a Public Match while in Custom Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah. People throw around spaghetti code a lot, but DBD's code is almost certainly actual legit spaghetti code. You tug on anything and it affects poo poo ten miles away.