Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Seems like GW has been improving their inclusiveness and representation pretty consistently (if slowly) in recent times, so what changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Nothing really changed. Corporate messaging is to enhance brand enthusiasm, not effect change. And as such, all messaging must come from corporate and is sanitized to the level of pablum before being put to publication.

In short, his firing was likely over the act of speaking out, rather than the contents of that speech.

The salt in the wound is that some chud at GW was aware of the policy, got Mr. Parrott fired, and will himself get to stay on.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arven posted:

So GW bad again?

At the very least I wont be buying anything under Black Library.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The tweets that are being held up as the reason he was fired are not controversial or at odds with either GW's public "you will not be missed" position or anything other writers and staff have said publicly. It smells to me of face saving on his part.

I don't know any more than anyone else outside the situation, but I think it far more likely they caught him accessing something he shouldn't have that implicated him in a leak (whether or not he was the source) than GW having a cultural about-face to protect bigots. Given what we can see from outside the company I think it would be foolish to take his posts at face value here, and boycotting them over it is dumb.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 10, 2020

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Giant Isopod posted:

Seems like GW has been improving their inclusiveness and representation pretty consistently (if slowly) in recent times, so what changed?

It's hard to realize with companies that sell products we like, but don't mistake GWs recent marketing push for inclusivity and non-bigotry as representing some core or inherent value existing in the company or the people who work there.

GW is a corporate entity in a capitalist world. As such, they have values (especially marketing-wise) that reflect what they think will generate the most profits - with some push/pull between short and long term perspectives. That means, to some extent, the values that their consumers want them to have. If the majority of the consumers of plastic toys were raging white supremacists they'd 100% be selling new primanis space marines wearing hoods and holding up nooses while murdering their way through the filthy non-white xenos.

Obviously it's hard to say with this specific situation, because we don't know anything, but him saying that he was terminated for being a poor representative of the brand doesn't exactly scream 'dirty leaker' as the main reason to me.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 10, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Hmm, all this time recently I've seen people shrieking about "cancel culture", I'm sure all of those people would go to bat for Thomas Parrott, wouldn't they?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

I said come in! posted:

At the very least I wont be buying anything under Black Library.

this is good for you under any circumstances.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Revelation 2-13 posted:

GW is a corporate entity in a capitalist world. As such, they have values (especially marketing-wise) that reflect what they think will generate the most profits - with some push/pull between short and long term perspectives. That means, to some extent, the values that their consumers want them to have. If the majority of the consumers of plastic toys were raging white supremacists they'd 100% be selling new primanis space marines wearing hoods and holding up nooses while murdering their way through the filthy non-white xenos.

What a narrow minded world view.

Personally of course I subscribe to the philosophy that there is no such thing as an altruistic act. Any act of kindness from any individual is because they personally will feel bad thanks to their upbringing and personality if they do not act kind, therefore how can it be purely altruistic if being kind makes them feel good?

That being said, kind people do kind things, it doesn't matter why.

Corporations are a legal entity on paper, that's it. They consist of people, those people make decisions every day, and those people have their own principles. I can guarantee 100% no matter how much money alt right gently caress boys would throw at Gamesworkshop they wouldn't do what you described, because the people running the company would find it abhorrent.

Companies act immorally when a culture develops in the organisation that promotes immoral behaviour. This ranges from shady but legal practices all the way to the shady and illegal practices. Nothing I've ever seen personally or through others suggest GW has a culture where they are OK with selling explicitly racist models to racist people.

What a weirdly naive world view, that companies only ever do what makes them the most money like they were some weird sentient blob, rather than considering they are a group of individuals, all with their own motivations and principles.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Kitchner posted:

Personally of course I subscribe to the philosophy that there is no such thing as an altruistic act. Any act of kindness from any individual is because they personally will feel bad thanks to their upbringing and personality if they do not act kind, therefore how can it be purely altruistic if being kind makes them feel good?

I think windbreaks are the answer to this weird dumb philosophy.

Windbreaks are lines of trees planted by farmers to block the flow of wind over fields, preventing seeds from scattering and enhancing the soil. Planting one involves weeks of back-breaking labour, and due to the slow growth of the trees involved, the results will not be appreciated by anyone in the planting generation. No one living will thank the workers for doing it, and they were often established by people who either didn't own the land they were working on or had no intention to sell the land ever. A simple common roadside windbreak represents people inflicting massive physical pain and exhaustion on themselves to aid future generations they will never meet and who will never thank them. You can nihilism your way around that if you really set your mind to it, but why not spend your time building a windbreak instead?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Thanqol posted:

I think windbreaks are the answer to this weird dumb philosophy.

Windbreaks are lines of trees planted by farmers to block the flow of wind over fields, preventing seeds from scattering and enhancing the soil. Planting one involves weeks of back-breaking labour, and due to the slow growth of the trees involved, the results will not be appreciated by anyone in the planting generation. No one living will thank the workers for doing it, and they were often established by people who either didn't own the land they were working on or had no intention to sell the land ever. A simple common roadside windbreak represents people inflicting massive physical pain and exhaustion on themselves to aid future generations they will never meet and who will never thank them. You can nihilism your way around that if you really set your mind to it, but why not spend your time building a windbreak instead?

I don't really want to derail the discussion any more than this, but the answer is that the person planting the windbreak feels good and satisfied knowing others (presumably their descendants) will get use of it, and possibly even say "Those were planted by my great grandad". Sure it's nice, but they clearly are getting something from it, even if it's just a good feeling.

My overall point was that GW is a collection of people in an office in Nottingham, maybe their statement was an attempt to generate good PR performed by a cynical marketing team, but the idea that without any evidence someone can declare any company, including GW, would happily sell overtly disgusting racist products to people simply because "they are a corporation" is bizarre.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Kitchner posted:

What a narrow minded world view.

That being said, kind people do kind things, it doesn't matter why.

Corporations are a legal entity on paper, that's it. They consist of people, those people make decisions every day, and those people have their own principles. I can guarantee 100% no matter how much money alt right gently caress boys would throw at Gamesworkshop they wouldn't do what you described, because the people running the company would find it abhorrent.

Companies act immorally when a culture develops in the organisation that promotes immoral behaviour. This ranges from shady but legal practices all the way to the shady and illegal practices. Nothing I've ever seen personally or through others suggest GW has a culture where they are OK with selling explicitly racist models to racist people.

What a weirdly naive world view, that companies only ever do what makes them the most money like they were some weird sentient blob, rather than considering they are a group of individuals, all with their own motivations and principles.

Sir, this is a Games Workshop.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Kitchner posted:

I don't really want to derail the discussion any more than this, but the answer is that the person planting the windbreak feels good and satisfied knowing others (presumably their descendants) will get use of it, and possibly even say "Those were planted by my great grandad". Sure it's nice, but they clearly are getting something from it, even if it's just a good feeling.

The 'good feeling' you have described is so vague and nebulous - the idea that your great grandchild might name check you one time maybe - and the 'bad feeling' I have described is so intensely immediate and concrete - weeks of back breaking labour. What that looks like for me is someone prioritizing an abstract idea of goodness above their own comfort, and that's pretty much the definition of altruism.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hasn't "no such thing as altruism" been debunked about ten thousand times already?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I see someone’s been eating his Nietzschebix.

(Seriously, companies are humans, and sometimes they gently caress up. They can likewise be able to atone.)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Does anyone know of some good chains that don’t look bad stuck on a model? I’d like my Indomitus jerks to look more Black Templary.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

Does anyone know of some good chains that don’t look bad stuck on a model? I’d like my Indomitus jerks to look more Black Templary.

Go down to a dollar store and check out cheap necklace chains.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Clawtopsy posted:

I've not looked but I'd look at model rail stuff, there's bound to be all sorts of chains for trains

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
got my pre-order in for Indomitus.

Have no real desire to play either marines or Necrons, but I'm pretty sure I can sell all the models inside and easily pay for the rulebook in one go.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Yeast posted:

got my pre-order in for Indomitus.

Have no real desire to play either marines or Necrons, but I'm pretty sure I can sell all the models inside and easily pay for the rulebook in one go.

I ordered mine from gw as all the resellers are out. I want the marines, so those and the book are pretty much worth it and I'll get something for the Necrons.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP posted:

I ordered mine from gw as all the resellers are out. I want the marines, so those and the book are pretty much worth it and I'll get something for the Necrons.

yeah I went to preorder from my flgs, but totally sold out. So I threw cash at GW.

At least now I'll get some objective markers :v:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Yeast posted:

yeah I went to preorder from my flgs, but totally sold out. So I threw cash at GW.

smiles in Tzeentch

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The problem with the whole "No such thing as altruism, even apparent altruism with no possibility of material gain is just done for good feels, which is selfish" is that it takes such a hardcore absolutist stance on "altruism" that it doesn't actually match what everyone else using the word means. Like, congrats, you've constructed an unfalsifiable definition of altruism that renders it a-priori an incoherent concept. Good for you. So? I can make up a fake word that means nothing and then say that it references a concept that can't exist, too.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 11, 2020

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

JBP posted:

Doesn't look like it's available through GW yet. Am I just missing it?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Australia.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

still 12 hours to go in America I think. Going to be glued to computer tomorrow in the hopes of getting the special edition rule book.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Indomitus sold out in 3 hours in Australia, if that’s any indication.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
My local sold 100 copies in 5 minutes. Shits hosed

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah wow is apparently sold out with GW within three hours. Glad I bit the bullet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've got a pile of store credit and a discount with my FLGS, so there's no way I'm ordering direct.

Here's hoping they get any.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

A morning spent hammering f5 in the GW store pays off!

Goddamn it if this is what it takes to get a new release these days, the Lumineth box went similarly quickly.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Got my pre-order in via UK/EU webstore after getting a couple of scary maintenance messages while trying to check out. Godspeed 40k goons :)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kore_Fero posted:

Got my pre-order in via UK/EU webstore after getting a couple of scary maintenance messages while trying to check out. Godspeed 40k goons :)
:same:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Goblin Gaming in the UK went from 244 in stock to 0 in like 7 minutes

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Main UK website sold out now.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

And now the problem with reprinting it is such a hotly demanded item will draw fury from those who strained to get it first time

Gunder
May 22, 2003

gently caress that. I got a preorder in before they ran out of stock and wouldn’t give a gently caress if they decided to reprint it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gunder posted:

gently caress that. I got a preorder in before they ran out of stock and wouldn’t give a gently caress if they decided to reprint it.
:same:

nerds are the dumbest pettiest humans ever to walk the earth tho

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Reprint away. Why shouldn't players be able to get their hands on a starter box? Making it limited shifts boxes and sells inventory but any new players drawn in by the hype are already shut out from an entry point product after mere hours? Doesn't seem right.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Bit gutted for a friend as he overslept by 45 mins and now can't by the Necrons he wanted. Serves him right for trusting GW that they would make enough kits and have "plenty in stock" and "everyone who wants one will get one" I guess. I would say that they need to print more after making such a big deal about having enough for everyone, but the box is such good value not sure it is a good business decision or not.

I was going to Pre-order the limited edition book until I saw it was the same price as indomitus box, so instead I've just pre ordered the rulebook and chapter approved from my local independent store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Gunder posted:

For sure! There are plenty if dumbasses without this mindset, though