Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Qubee posted:

Do troops get a defense bonus if I park them on top of a fort?

Got something better: defense bonus for terrain applies in the fort owner's favour, even if an enemy army was there first.

So, have a fort in a mountain province, bait the enemy into laying siege to it, send in the lads to kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Does that also apply to river crossing penalties? I kind of get the point/logic behind it, a besieging army will be at a disadvantage when sieging and fighting in mountains, but does the besieger also suffer river crossing penalties if the relief force crosses a river into the province with fort to fight them there? Would it be, all other things being equal, better to maneuver your army in such a way as to intentionally cross a river if you're going to fight somebody besieging your province? If so, that would at least be consistent with the fort mechanics but kind of counterintuitive

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
IIRC (It's been a while) back in EU2 taking lots of losses to attrition would also sap an army's morale. That was nasty.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

violent sex idiot posted:

really not a fan of all of europe allowing ottomans access so they can march an army to brittany and siege me. why would that ever ever ever happen? totally absurd
In before some nerd says that its historical because the short term alliance the Ottomans and France that had Ottoman galleys docking at Nice or Toulon or something.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Deltasquid posted:

Does that also apply to river crossing penalties? I kind of get the point/logic behind it, a besieging army will be at a disadvantage when sieging and fighting in mountains, but does the besieger also suffer river crossing penalties if the relief force crosses a river into the province with fort to fight them there? Would it be, all other things being equal, better to maneuver your army in such a way as to intentionally cross a river if you're going to fight somebody besieging your province? If so, that would at least be consistent with the fort mechanics but kind of counterintuitive

River/strait crossing penalties are not considered in the dice roll when defending a siege, no matter the number of maneuver pips each side has.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i feel like there's 10 provinces pairs in the whole game that won't give a river crossing. the whole world is rivers

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

oddium posted:

i feel like there's 10 provinces pairs in the whole game that won't give a river crossing. the whole world is rivers

It’s dumb and I think it pops up too many times because of some archaic procedural coding (unless someone coded province by province each border which... lol if so)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Ok the other hand people do tend to live in places with lots of river.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Popoto posted:

It’s dumb and I think it pops up too many times because of some archaic procedural coding (unless someone coded province by province each border which... lol if so)

You better lol.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Groke posted:

Ok the other hand people do tend to live in places with lots of river.

Also rivers make really convenient natural borders.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

River/strait crossing penalties are not considered in the dice roll when defending a siege, no matter the number of maneuver pips each side has.

Sweet, I just threw up a star fort in the mountain province next to Gibraltar that guards the Med crossing after kicking Castile out of North Africa. That's going to be one hell of a beach head into Europe.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dirk the Average posted:

Also rivers make really convenient natural borders.

Back in ye olden games rivers were separate terrain tiles so it was really easy to see what was a crossing. I liked that.

That also would allow for riverine combat, which would be cool especially in places like China. But probably not worth it. Regular boats are already almost an afterthought, so river navies would have to be a whole separate afterthought (or, if they use the EU4 ground armies model, we'd see the entire Royal Navy blockading Strasbourg.)

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 10, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ah gently caress, I think I just had a bug. I initially did a Trade Conflict CB and then realised it sucked so I never declared war. I built the spy network back up to 20 and formed a new CB and declared war with one of their provinces as a goal. I'm just now starting to settle for peace and make demands and I've realised the game has put me on the Trade Conflict CB for some reason, so I can't take any of the provinces... Is there a way I can salvage this or do I just reload back two years at the start of the war and actually make sure to pick the right CB.

Was a 10/10 learning experience though, I invited Portugal to come stomp the battlegrounds with me and regretted it when they had all the fun fighting. Speaking of Portugal, is there a way I CAN TELL MY ALLY TO NOT GIVE MILITARY ACCESS TO AN ENEMY? They kept doing beach landings in Portugal and running through my territories.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 10, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Qubee posted:

Ah gently caress, I think I just had a bug. I initially did a Trade Conflict CB and then realised it sucked so I never declared war. I built the spy network back up to 20 and formed a new CB and declared war with one of their provinces as a goal. I'm just now starting to settle for peace and make demands and I've realised the game has put me on the Trade Conflict CB for some reason, so I can't take any of the provinces... Is there a way I can salvage this or do I just reload back two years at the start of the war and actually make sure to pick the right CB.

Sounds like you probably fabricated and declared on the same day. When you fabricate it takes a day for the conquest CB to show up, so it would have defaulted to the trade conflict. You'll have to reload.

It used to be that if you had the humiliate rival CB that would always be at the top and I accidentally picked that instead of conquest SO MANY TIMES god it was the worst

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 10, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ah thanks, reloading won't be too painful, I learned a lot of valuable lessons. I may have to resort to inviting Portugal as their navy completely obliterated Morocco's navy, they had so many ships compared to mine that I just had to sit in port and get blockaded.

Unrelated question, I cored some provinces, and once they were done, I formed them into a territory. It asked me to core them again? I also assumed once I'd cored them, they'd be easy to convert to Catholicism, but it's quite slow-going. Is it meant to be such a long and involved process for coring / converting or am I making a mistake. Thanks again to everyone for dealing with my incessant beginner questions.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Qubee posted:

Ah thanks, reloading won't be too painful, I learned a lot of valuable lessons. I may have to resort to inviting Portugal as their navy completely obliterated Morocco's navy, they had so many ships compared to mine that I just had to sit in port and get blockaded.

Unrelated question, I cored some provinces, and once they were done, I formed them into a territory. It asked me to core them again? I also assumed once I'd cored them, they'd be easy to convert to Catholicism, but it's quite slow-going. Is it meant to be such a long and involved process for coring / converting or am I making a mistake. Thanks again to everyone for dealing with my incessant beginner questions.

The 2nd coring makes them full cores, before they are just territories. Sunni has a malus to converting so that's part of your problem. If you set the state edict to +missionary strength and hire a +missionary advisor you will have an easier time

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Qubee posted:

Your provinces are part of either a Territory or a State. When you conquer some new provinces (that are not already part of one of your states) and core them, they become a Territorial Core. Territories cost only 50% admin power to core compared to state provinces. While they are part of a territory they cost less governing capacity but have a penalty to conversion rate and 90% autonomy, so they won't give nearly as much income/manpower as a state province.

Once all of the provinces in the territory have been turned into Territorial Cores, you have the option to convert the entire Territory into a State. When you do this you have to pay the 50% admin power again to turn them into state cores, and the re-coring is instantly completed. Once it is a state core, the autonomy will be instantly reduced at the end of the month then trend down towards 0% over time. Missionary cost scales from autonomy so it may be worth waiting for it to tick down some to save money. You can then apply the state edict for +1% conversion rate when you are ready to convert it. Conversion will also be much easier if the province is part of an accepted culture.

Another option you have, instead of turning territories into states, is to assign it to a Trade Company. This can only be done for territories that are not part of your home continent and are not part of a colonial region (for example as a European power you can make African provinces into trade companies). You can move territorial provinces into and out of trade companies at will. This gives it additional trade power and potentially more merchants for you once you hold enough trade power in a region. You also won't suffer any unrest penalties due to non-accepted culture/religion, but on the other hand you won't be able to religiously convert trade company provinces at all.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You don't have to secure all the provinces in a territory to switch it over to a state, you just have to have cored at least one. However, it does mean you are paying 100% of the admin cost up front for the rest of the provinces when you end up conquering the rest instead of 50%.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It actually takes a month tick for fabricates claims or other new CBs to actually show up.

Yes, this has baffled me on many occasions. Especially given the amount of time I spend playing EU drunk or high.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

playing EU drunk or high

The authentic early modern statesman experience

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It actually takes a month tick for fabricates claims or other new CBs to actually show up.

Yes, this has baffled me on many occasions. Especially given the amount of time I spend playing EU drunk or high.

it's definitely just a day not a month, at least for fabricates

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

it's definitely just a day not a month, at least for fabricates

Yeah I just loaded to check and you're right, which gives me questions already answered by my previous post

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it's usually a day, except when you're powerushing through on speed 5 and are too late to realize that the CB hasn't updated yet and you accidentally no CB instead

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How exactly does the muslim propagate religion merchant focus thing work? Is there a way I can support it?

I'm playing chill Mamluks for their achievement and holy gently caress they're strong. I'm taking subpar colonizer ideas to be an rear end in a top hat and block Europe from the Indian Ocean, and just casually swatting Ottomans with my objectively poo poo armies while Austria and Poland suck up to me. This nation might be the most mismanaged I've ever seen by the AI? I surpassed Ming before 1500.

But it seems like the time to go for the achievement where I convert five Moluccas provinces to Islam by just propagating religion and like... is there something to encourage that or do I just click the button and hope?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

It's just set and forget, yeah. Used to be able to cheat it by switching policies so it'd do multiple at a time, but that got fixed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How exactly does the muslim propagate religion merchant focus thing work? Is there a way I can support it?

I'm playing chill Mamluks for their achievement and holy gently caress they're strong. I'm taking subpar colonizer ideas to be an rear end in a top hat and block Europe from the Indian Ocean, and just casually swatting Ottomans with my objectively poo poo armies while Austria and Poland suck up to me. This nation might be the most mismanaged I've ever seen by the AI? I surpassed Ming before 1500.

But it seems like the time to go for the achievement where I convert five Moluccas provinces to Islam by just propagating religion and like... is there something to encourage that or do I just click the button and hope?

It works exactly like a center of reformation.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Holy poo poo, finally managing to get a Byzantium run going, but it's...harrowing.

Amushed the Ottos early on, managed to win the european costline plus Edirne, but it cost me 30(!) loans. Reparation saw those paid off, but the truce is running out.

Also took back Epirus. But as I was recovering, the filthy venetians attacked. I had secured an alliance with Hungary to defend, but it was PU's by Austria and the moment that droped, they attacked. Thankfully for once my Albanian friends stick close and using their general was a thing, and i secured a white peace.

Austria then ate Wallachia, bringing their border close to mine and letting me ally and marry them. Also allied Serbia to try and keep Venice at bay.

Any sugestion on what to do next? Ottos allied Tunis and Karaman, and just started a war with Mamluks over Cyprus, which they were guaranteeing. There are no otto forts on my side of the bosphorus. Should I wait until they are halfway down the levant and attack Kocaeli? Or just block the strait, mass-siege my side and wait them out?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
oh woops owned myself by forgetting that humiliate rival isn't a real CB

(which is a hella dumb mechanic)

do exponential AE and warscore cost or something, not the dumb poo poo "you literally cannot take land even if you stand on top of them at 100% for 20 years

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 11, 2020

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

unfortunately humiliate rival CB is one of those things that multiplayer is loving up for single player again. In multiplayer, an effectively free CB you can use at basically any time against rivals that would let you take land from day 1 would be insanely OP

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Sephyr posted:

Holy poo poo, finally managing to get a Byzantium run going, but it's...harrowing.

Amushed the Ottos early on, managed to win the european costline plus Edirne, but it cost me 30(!) loans. Reparation saw those paid off, but the truce is running out.

Also took back Epirus. But as I was recovering, the filthy venetians attacked. I had secured an alliance with Hungary to defend, but it was PU's by Austria and the moment that droped, they attacked. Thankfully for once my Albanian friends stick close and using their general was a thing, and i secured a white peace.

Austria then ate Wallachia, bringing their border close to mine and letting me ally and marry them. Also allied Serbia to try and keep Venice at bay.

Any sugestion on what to do next? Ottos allied Tunis and Karaman, and just started a war with Mamluks over Cyprus, which they were guaranteeing. There are no otto forts on my side of the bosphorus. Should I wait until they are halfway down the levant and attack Kocaeli? Or just block the strait, mass-siege my side and wait them out?

Attack them while they're at war with the Mamluks, you're not going to get a better opportunity. You should be able to make some pretty good siege progress while their troops are tied up down south.

e: To clarify, you should siege down Anatolia while you have the chance. Make sure your war goal is something on the European side of the strait so your ticking score can't be stopped.

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 11, 2020

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
So, I'm playing as Spain and my colonial subject in the Caribbean has a colonist developing a province. The problem is, I need to build a church in that very province to fulfill a mission and I can't, because of the colonist. I know that they added a subject interaction to tell your subject to stop doing that but it seems like they won't stop. The whole region is fully colonised so it wouldn't be able to go and actually colonize anyhow. Any idea if I'm just screwed?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Are there any good guides on there on how to colonise the new world as a player? What’s good to do, by what time, how far should you stretch your treasury doubling up colonists, that kind of thing?

I’ve got nearly 2k hours in the game and still I am haunted by a recurring nightmare that I’m doing it suboptimally.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I want to do some nation-specific missions in the mission tab, but all of my Castille missions are unavailable right now as they require things I don't have. I can't even find basic missions like "take this bordering land", it's all stuff that I can only start doing a hundred years from now. Is this working as intended?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Qubee posted:

I want to do some nation-specific missions in the mission tab, but all of my Castille missions are unavailable right now as they require things I don't have. I can't even find basic missions like "take this bordering land", it's all stuff that I can only start doing a hundred years from now. Is this working as intended?

The missions are fixed for each nation, not dynamic in any way, and for major nations their missions generally reflect their historic expansion or expansion goals throughout the entirety of the period. If you want to take some bordering land, you don't need a mission to do that, you can build a spy network through the diplomacy menus, and then fabricate claims on provinces in the province screen, which you can use as a casus belli to declare war on your target.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can’t you do the colonial missions? you should be able to get a start on those pretty fast. aragon also gets inherited soon in most games

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Davincie posted:

can’t you do the colonial missions? you should be able to get a start on those pretty fast. aragon also gets inherited soon in most games

That's my plan, but I think I slightly hosed up my research points. I've upgraded military tech once and am half way to upgrading it a second time. My diplomacy and admin techs I haven't upgraded a single time, and it's 1453. I keep having to use them on stuff. I'm trying to buy more expensive politicians but their upkeep will send me into the negative, and their boosts aren't that good. I even got a warning that my neighbours are now more technologically advanced than I am.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
You can call a diet for short-term objectives. Otherwise continue angling for a PU with Aragon/waiting for the events (don’t bother conquering) and see if you can fabricate claims on Portugal or Italy. Don’t worry too much about tech, IMO coring and stuff takes precedence over admin and diplo tech. One particular rank of military tech (forgot which, I think 7?) gives quite a jump over everyone else until they catch up but otherwise you can be behind a bit and easily leapfrog later with the discounts. Try getting admin tech up for idea groups now, and then you can pick exploration and start exploring with some heavy ships and an explorer to lead them

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You need at least 3 light or heavy ships with an explorer to reveal ocean tiles and coastal provinces. There's no need to give them more than that because they operate as fast as the slowest ship. This is also why it's recommended using only light ships beyond their price; they're the fastest ocean-going vessels!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Qubee posted:

That's my plan, but I think I slightly hosed up my research points. I've upgraded military tech once and am half way to upgrading it a second time. My diplomacy and admin techs I haven't upgraded a single time, and it's 1453. I keep having to use them on stuff. I'm trying to buy more expensive politicians but their upkeep will send me into the negative, and their boosts aren't that good. I even got a warning that my neighbours are now more technologically advanced than I am.
If you are Castille your starting ruler is godawful and his heir is even worse, I think? Which explains why you are so short on your MPs (Monarch Points, which everyone calls "mana" these days).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Qubee posted:

1453 is like 2% of the way into the game, of course you haven't done much yet. 9 years in EU4 isn't enough time for 1 war worth of AE to burn down.

The game runs until 1821 (and real conquest doesn't start until post-1600), you will have plenty of time to do stuff. Especially as a new player there will be plenty of 10 year spans where you don't do much besides tech up a couple times and build a few buildings. Just crank things up to speed 5 until you have what you need to do more exciting things.