Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

MizPiz posted:

Black Noir is supposed to be the Batman

There's also a guy named Metal Knight, I think, who is like a sad Batman and has a lot of pent up sex stuff going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

skooma512 posted:

That explains why the Seven are all clearly DC parodies.

Do they get a Batman later?

This is pretty common with superhero parodies. Watchmen was actually originally going to use the newly acquired Fawcett Comics characters iirc; Doctor Manhattan is Captain Atom, Rorschach is The Question, Nite Owl is Blue Beetle.

Sometimes there's some funny takes on this. Marvel Zombies starts out with the sudden appearance of a dimensionally-displaced Sentry as patient zero- a character who's basically Marvel's canon parody of Superman who's crippled with mental problems- and he was originally going to be an obvious Superman cameo (implying of course DC Zombies) but they couldn't make it subtle enough.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Fleetwood posted:

There's also a guy named Metal Knight, I think, who is like a sad Batman and has a lot of pent up sex stuff going on

so.... Batman?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

the boys is pretty good but lets not pretend its higher art than marvel poo poo, other than the aforementioned "is pretty good"

i think its very intellectually dishonest to act like movies which are about how the military industrial complex is good because of superhero branding are basically exactly the same as a serial program which is about how the military industrial complex is bad and has been made worse by superhero branding

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Boomer detected. I would not know of the Jane Fonda workout video if it weren't for my boomer mom.

i cant tell whether gadot was offended because katzenberg outed himself as an obvious perv because she was repulsed by being compared to noted america hater jane fonda because she sees workout videos as being totally beneath the power of her brand or if it was just because she hates quibli

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
emergency 911 probably ruined escalators for a lot of people

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Superhero workout videos would be on brand tho

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

it is possible the workout video pitch didn't mention killing palestinian children so I can understand her lack of interest

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Korean Boomhauer posted:

emergency 911 probably ruined escalators for a lot of people

i think about emergency 911 EVERY time i walk onto an escalator to this day

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
are you guys talking about Rescue 911 with William Shatner or is this some other show

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

is this guys power that his arms come off easily

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Zvahl posted:

are you guys talking about Rescue 911 with William Shatner or is this some other show

yeah that is the one

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
william shatner wanted to be Robert Stack so bad and was just awful at it

go back to warring tek old man

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Zvahl posted:

Was it actually called Emergency 911 in some places? Lots of people call it that for some reason.

Also

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Egg Moron posted:

Here are some panels from marshal law, the first three are from marshal law takes manhattan where the punisher facsimile "the persecutor" is attempting to seek sanctuary in a mental hospital for criminally insane super heroes where parodies of the avengers rule the roost

in the lore, the US invented super heroes to fight a vietnam style conflict that devastated central america, the persecutor was a school of the americas ghoul that taught torture tactics to americans in "the zone"

I'm generally not a fan of these "The Justice League/Avengers are evil because they don't destroy America, let me show you my fair-use versions of them being oh so crazy" stories (and not just because they've been done to death by every hack writer for the past 30 years). It's because 99% of them require a willful misreading of the source material. Superhero Comics are set in the "real world", if Batman creates a perpetual motion machine next issue then the comic essentially ends because the entire premise no longer works. It's like watching a Disney Cartoon and smugly pointing out that animals can't talk. Even the main comics universes have this problem a lot these days. The X-Men writers in particular love accusing like Spider-Man of being racist because he didn't stop last months Sentinel attack, despite the reader knowing he's wasn't in the X-Men book month because he was stopping Galactus from eating Earth in his own book.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Planetary does have the super-science organisation finally start publicly releasing their stuff in the very last issue before the comic ends. (and after they've killed the evil Reed Richards)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

galagazombie posted:

I'm generally not a fan of these "The Justice League/Avengers are evil because they don't destroy America, let me show you my fair-use versions of them being oh so crazy" stories (and not just because they've been done to death by every hack writer for the past 30 years). It's because 99% of them require a willful misreading of the source material. Superhero Comics are set in the "real world", if Batman creates a perpetual motion machine next issue then the comic essentially ends because the entire premise no longer works. It's like watching a Disney Cartoon and smugly pointing out that animals can't talk. Even the main comics universes have this problem a lot these days. The X-Men writers in particular love accusing like Spider-Man of being racist because he didn't stop last months Sentinel attack, despite the reader knowing he's wasn't in the X-Men book month because he was stopping Galactus from eating Earth in his own book.

i like the boys because its clearly spending a lot of effort trying to make superheroes function in a semirealistic way and this doesnt necessarily mean evil it takes awhile for it to actually be confirmed that homelander is evil starlight is pretty well established as being an actually good person and its even hinted that translucent might not have been a total shithead in between the exposition we get about his family life and also realizing in retrospect he made a conscious decision to confront hughie alone without telling his coworkers or bosses who almost certainly would have just murdered him

which isnt to say your criticism is unjustified i dont read comic books personally and it wouldnt at all surprise me to learn that the boys in comic book form is a major departure from the scripted show really it seems kind of unavoidable given that woke branding plays a pretty big part in the show but i dont think it actually even existed back when the comic was still new

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

You're actually spot on there. The comic version is exactly the thing I was ranting about, while on the other hand I enjoy the show precisely because it's not like the comic at all. Live-Action Homelander in particular has practically nothing in common with Comic Homelander. Though to be fair Antony Starr deserves enough awards for what he brings to the role to sink a freighter

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Very cool, very incisive

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

galagazombie posted:

I agree, superhero comics shouldn't exist.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

i like the boys because its clearly spending a lot of effort trying to make superheroes function in a semirealistic way and this doesnt necessarily mean evil it takes awhile for it to actually be confirmed that homelander is evil starlight is pretty well established as being an actually good person and its even hinted that translucent might not have been a total shithead in between the exposition we get about his family life and also realizing in retrospect he made a conscious decision to confront hughie alone without telling his coworkers or bosses who almost certainly would have just murdered him

idk a big part of his characterization was that he was a cocky rear end in a top hat both because he believed himself to be completely invulnerable and that the seven were practically guaranteed to come break him out of whatever little trouble he found himself in. it's less that he could have told the seven beforehand therefore he's not all bad, and more he was just an arrogant poo poo.

also he was a misogynist who creeped on women in the bathroom. literally nothing redeeming about the guy

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

galagazombie posted:

I'm generally not a fan of these "The Justice League/Avengers are evil because they don't destroy America, let me show you my fair-use versions of them being oh so crazy" stories

this is not the premise of marshal law

it's more like judge dredd

there was even a little 2000ad crossover with dredd, law and nemesis the warlock

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 23:30 on Jul 11, 2020

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

and a hellraiser marshal law crossover series

and a The Mask crossover

and it is also post-apocalyptic, it's just that american institutions/capitalism are persisting through the total collapse of society at large, it's good

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Zvahl posted:

OH YEAH thats the name. the recreations were so great and iirc a lot of the stories didnt really have happy endings either.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
yeah it was on tuesday nights as opposed to unsolved mysteries which was on wednesdays, they really overdramatized the hell out of it and it worked really well but I haven't seen it in a while, they dumped all of the old unsolved mysteries onto prime a few years back and now I just have them on as period background noise~

can't remember my own phone number but i remember broadcast tv schedules from 25 years ago

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

The broadcast tv schedule was a necessary facsimile of the natural and religious rhythms which were increasingly erased from the colloquial american experience after industrial production became dominant accross the entire population

now we all have the high stress job of program director thrust upon us and most of us are cracking under the pressure

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 04:07 on Jul 12, 2020

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
i'm the worst consumer in the world in general but i definitely watch a lot less both in quantity and variety nowadays than I did when TV was something I could just have on

now I don't really ever want to watch anything at all and the one current show I watch is just because it's basically required gay culture knowledge

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Starting to see Sim’s descent into misogyny. During the beginning of Jaka’s Story he has an editorial that is a single sentence at the bottom of the page, something along the lines of “Guess who just broke up?”

Now every third editorial in Melmoth is him venting spleen about feminism, working mothers, etc. He’s firmly entrenched in bitter divorced man misogyny now; only a matter of time now before it gets weird, then completely goes off the edge and becomes full on mysticism.

Comic is still great, but Sim has lost it. It’s really fascinating.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

a thought while watching hamilton high —— if you compare the founding fathers to stalin......... like the founding fathers did just as bad poo poo and likely even worse than stalin, so like we should as be as critical of the founding fathers as the mainstream discourse is of stalin

anyway what i’m trying to say is hamilton is incredibly grotesque

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

God Hole posted:

idk a big part of his characterization was that he was a cocky rear end in a top hat both because he believed himself to be completely invulnerable and that the seven were practically guaranteed to come break him out of whatever little trouble he found himself in. it's less that he could have told the seven beforehand therefore he's not all bad, and more he was just an arrogant poo poo.

also he was a misogynist who creeped on women in the bathroom. literally nothing redeeming about the guy

He kinda comes off as basically a modern take on The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen's Invisible Man. Not sure if he's also a flat out rapist but it wouldn't be surprising.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

God Hole posted:

yeah my emphasis was more on complete than shithead the point being that the supes themselves tend to have clearly defined motivations to varying degrees of sympathetic rather than just liking to kill for funsies

homelander himself comes off as more sympathetic than he has any right to be because he can tell his bosses infantilize him its utterly hilarious how upon finally meeting up with butcher a man whos literally trying to kill him homelander is both magnaminous and respectful just because butcher doesnt try to bullshit him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it helps that 'what if the justice league were evil and hosed up' has been done so many times, including by Justice League itself, that people have realised you still have to make them interesting in their own right, and that in fact makes it all the more interesting.

Have they gotten to the X-Men riffs? The idea of the whole thing being basically a front for a pedophile ring is... well, definitely has more potential in a post-Epstein world.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Here's a horrifying thought: if the USSR had still been around today, they would have made a Lenin rap musical.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grevling posted:

Here's a horrifying thought: if the USSR had still been around today, they would have made a Lenin rap musical.

Hmm. Nah.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

a thought while watching hamilton high —— if you compare the founding fathers to stalin......... like the founding fathers did just as bad poo poo and likely even worse than stalin, so like we should as be as critical of the founding fathers as the mainstream discourse is of stalin

anyway what i’m trying to say is hamilton is incredibly grotesque

what i'm hearing is, someone should write a musical about hot young stalin seizing the day while an embittered trotsky lurks around the fringe singing about permanent revolution.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Okay, maybe not Lenin but Plekhanov or something.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Some Guy TT posted:

yeah my emphasis was more on complete than shithead the point being that the supes themselves tend to have clearly defined motivations to varying degrees of sympathetic rather than just liking to kill for funsies

homelander himself comes off as more sympathetic than he has any right to be because he can tell his bosses infantilize him its utterly hilarious how upon finally meeting up with butcher a man whos literally trying to kill him homelander is both magnaminous and respectful just because butcher doesnt try to bullshit him

That's the great improvement over the comic. In print, the supes are just evil, corrupt and selfish. Even the Boys themselves are one-dimensional characitures. The TV show at least invests everyone with a bit of depth and motivation.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I am currently watching the 2003 film The Core and the first 15 minutes are loving hilarious, there have been about 3 or 4 different problems which could have been their own movies already and the team to drill into the core hasn't even been assembled yet

all the problems are due to the magnetic field loving up so at first, people with pace-makers start falling out and dying mysteriously like the happening, next birds start going crazy because they can't navigate like the film the Birds, finally the space shuttle has to land in the canal system of LA because the magnetic field is hosed up so they can't navigate correctly, it's like a 3 minute version of apollo 13

also there is this great clip that points to the american covid response

https://i.imgur.com/1mRIsF0.mp4

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 15:17 on Jul 12, 2020

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
it somehow manages to be a dumber independence day complete with an appearance by the skeletal and terrifying dj qualls

but it has stanley tucci being stanley tucci so it's better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Zvahl posted:

it somehow manages to be a dumber independence day complete with an appearance by the skeletal and terrifying dj qualls

but it has stanley tucci being stanley tucci so it's better

dj qualls just said hack the planet 2 times in a row!