Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TD economy sucks poo poo through a straw. Its so goddamn slow and cumbersome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LLCoolJD posted:

I replayed TD before RA and man I never fully appreciated the improved economy of RA at the time. TD has a ton of personality but its economy feels so much more awkward by comparison.

Yeah, harvesters are so slow and take so long to dump their load and most of the early game is just waiting until you have enough money to build more of them.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
The pathfinding kinda rules out flanking strategies. If I find a path behind the enemy and tell my units to use it, half of them will split from the main group and drive right through the front of the enemy base.

Same with mass unit transports kinda, you have to place and unload them on at a time giving your opponent plenty of time to mass up a defence.

I just did the Soviet mission where you have to capture all the tech centers on an island. You fail instantly if any of them or the chronosphere is destroyed. A mass invasion of tanks didn't work because they got clumsy and destroyed my target before I could capture it, bombing with Migs was taking forever. What I did in the end was land a few tanks near the closest enemy building and clear the area so I could land an engineer and capture a power plant. Now that I could build on the island I built a barracks, set it as the primary building and spammed out about 50 guys to take over the island.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

nexus6 posted:

A mass invasion of tanks didn't work because they got clumsy and destroyed my target before I could capture it, bombing with Migs was taking forever.
I thought that too, but what happens is if anyone gets close to it before the tech centers are captured it self destructs. I'd punched a hole in the walls and sent some engineers towards it and it still blew up because there was one TC that hadn't been taken. My beach-landing of mammoths worked fine for clearing everything else out though.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I find TD economy easier, RA harvesters dump their entire load at once which wastes so much when you have 0 silos and they have a full load of gems.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Silos are what, 150 bucks in RA? A single one is enough to make sure that doesn't happen, and otherwise if you're sitting on money past the first few minutes you're not spamming hard enough.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Noclip doc on this just dropped, 30 minutes+ of interviews!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MUDQYWk6qY

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I like both economies actually. RA feels right with a bunch of units running at each other and the slow plodding nature of TD let's you sort of focus on using a small number of units without just swamping the enemy in numbers.

Then again, I really liked the slower pace of TS combined with the larger maps so I may have a slightly broken brain.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

The only ways I ever found the Chronosphere useful was by either doing the aforementioned "cruiser in a lake" move to snipe enemy structures, or to outflank an enemy by putting an MCV down somewhere you'd otherwise have a hard time getting to. Both scenarios are pretty high cost tactics but the cruiser will usually be worth it.

Compared to the ease of using an Iron Curtain to make sure you keep a unit around long enough to knock out something important on a base assault, Chronosphere is a lot more niche. The one thing you can always do regardless of the map-- to put a single tank anywhere for a little bit-- is just not very helpful.

It's basically there for plot.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It should have a chance to spawn a chrono einstein

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Here is a documentary behind the making of the remastered edition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MUDQYWk6qY

Edit: welp. vvvv

drunkill fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 7, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

4 posts earlier dude :)

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
GDI 15a went smooth, had some trouble with 15c as the map somehow mined out resulting in a stalemate. Until I finally got smart and used a couple GDI stealth tanks to sneak into Kane's final base to knock out the last SAM sites (can confirm they always only need to be destroyed once) leading to this sweet airstrike. Much easier with the infantry out of the way. Mammoths are pretty slow at running over 'em.

It's clear the trick of capturing full AI silos, selling, letting them rebuild, repeat works so well because the AI gets resources more efficiently. Somebody probably posted the exact ratio, but it's gotta be at least 3-4X because one harvester return was enough to fill 5-7 Nod silos. Highly recommend, bypasses a lot of slow economic buildup in TD. This and APC Engineer rushing to capture buildings to keep/sell are my top non-sandbag strats.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

This is a pretty col mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2157643234

Now if it could have rally points and 1 tile building spacing (which the author is planning on adding) it'd be the perfect mod

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 8, 2020

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Red Alert remastered is having an issue for me, even after fully deleting and reinstalling it refuses to save any game settings. Every startup is default settings with no campaign progress, mission selection screen is empty. Saved games are unaffected. It's not really appealing to play this way. I don't see anyone with this exact problem and I'm pessimistic this will be fixable any official way. Does anyone know what files Red Alert remastered reads hotkeys, available mission selection and settings from? I'd like to know so I can get a complete copy and try setting it to read only, which worked for some other games where settings kept getting overridden.

edit: for example, is RedAlert.ini just supposed to consist of?? :
code:
[Sound]
Card=0
Port=3F8h
IRQ=4
DMA=-1

[Options]
HardwareFills=no

[Intro]
PlayIntro=no
because Tiberian Dawn (has no problems) is much longer.

edit: Fixed! see 4 posts below.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 9, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I'm surprised this or any game stores user data off the main Steam install path (\Steam\userdata\<your ID>\1213210\remote). Couldn't that unnecessarily require admin privileges if it's installed in Program Files?

Note that if you ever want to move your Steam install path all you have to do is delete all the files (not folders) in its root directory except steam.exe, move the directory wherever, and then run steam.exe. It reinstalls itself super easy without having to re-download any of your games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anybody else getting long load times just to get to the main menu? It’s like 30 seconds to 1 minute on my SSD.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fallom posted:

Anybody else getting long load times just to get to the main menu? It’s like 30 seconds to 1 minute on my SSD.

Yeah, I've been running into that too.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Fallom posted:

Thanks gary oldmans diary! I was nearing the limit of my patience when I found https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/quot-Mission-Select-quot-options-disappeared/m-p/9186122#M174 which described my problem. But deleting the regular saved game folder in my documents wasn't enough. I also had to delete the saved games in \Steam\userdata\<your ID>\1213210\remote and disable the cloud sync in the the C&C remastered steam settings. Then it finally saved the Red Alert settings when I quit.

It also made the game startup a crapton faster, why I'm quoting Fallom. So it might be worth trying for everyone.
edit: User settings I was looking for are also in that steam folder, Player_RA_settings_1.bin

edit2: EA made nice little techtrees for GDI, Nod, Allies, & Soviets. Might be nice to put in the OP someplace.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 9, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I found the Soviet campaign more difficult than the Allied one, which I didn't expect, at least the last section of it. Way more off-map spawns and the constant helicopter harass against your terrible AA really wore me down meaning I ended up burning through a lot of resources to replace my forces. Mobile gap gens were also just obnoxious, and the cruisers in every tiny lake in that last mission took out more of my mammoths than I'd like to admit. Also: did I miss something or is the ion curtain/nuke just completely absent from the campaign?

Surprisingly NOD was probably the easiest of all of them, just because a big enough mix of light and flame tanks could pretty much handle everything in short order.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mordja posted:

I found the Soviet campaign more difficult than the Allied one, which I didn't expect, at least the last section of it. Way more off-map spawns and the constant helicopter harass against your terrible AA really wore me down meaning I ended up burning through a lot of resources to replace my forces. Mobile gap gens were also just obnoxious, and the cruisers in every tiny lake in that last mission took out more of my mammoths than I'd like to admit. Also: did I miss something or is the ion curtain/nuke just completely absent from the campaign?

Surprisingly NOD was probably the easiest of all of them, just because a big enough mix of light and flame tanks could pretty much handle everything in short order.

Soviets and their basically non existent AA was super annoying. Thank god for flak tracks and bullfrogs in the later games.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Seriously why do Soviet SAM sites do no more than tickle a helicopter while Allied guns take out planes by just looking at them. NOD SAMs at least do all right damage if they actually hit something.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

But they have longer range! It's balanced! (It's not)

The constant offmap airstrikes in the later missions of both campaigns in RA1 were super annoying. As is basically none of the allied expansion missions letting you have a GPS satellite for whatever reason.

I thought the Soviet campaign had the iron curtain, but the nuke is absolutely multiplayer/skirmish only.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Longbows definitely could use an hp nerf

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
...since when can Orcas shoot at airborne Chinooks??

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is there a list of what expansion missions are base building ones? I hate the indoor/limited troop bullshit ones.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Always could :sicko:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Wait till longbows are hunting your hinds

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Anyone running into issues with Mission 14: Focused Blast from the Allied campaign? The annoying 'bomb all the fuel pipes and reprogram all the generators' one with two small groups of troops. Tried it twice now, and as far as I can tell I've moved engineers in front of every pipe and computer on the map and it still doesn't let me finish.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The engineer has to stand in these tiles only:

Left one activates an in-level effect. Right one is for the 4 bomb placements.

I know this doesn't help you with which tile the game didn't count, but its the best I can do. :shrug: I didn't like those 2 missions either. I think at one point I was even down to trying to use the spy to activate things (in one of those levels).
If RA2 had indoor missions, I don't remember disliking them... :thunk:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

gary oldmans diary posted:

If RA2 had indoor missions, I don't remember disliking them... :thunk:

It does not. And there's barely any "limited unit" missions in Red Alert 2 at all, for that matter.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

C&C1 Orcas always had a quirk whereby they would engage enemy air units if they were given the attack order while the target was still on the ground. They could always attack Chinooks in the air, it just came up very rarely. No idea if it works for Apaches with their chaingun attack.

Since RA1 Longbows use the same missile weapon, I imagine they inherited the same quirk.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

The Veterancy mod for TD just updated (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2157643234&tscn=1594486072) to add in configurable building distance, A* pathfinding and rally points. I'm really enjoying using it as it now gives you a reason to keep units alive instead of replacing them. Units can also fire out of APC, like in Generals, and an APC full of rocket soldiers is a murder machine

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eregos posted:

Thanks gary oldmans diary! I was nearing the limit of my patience when I found https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/quot-Mission-Select-quot-options-disappeared/m-p/9186122#M174 which described my problem. But deleting the regular saved game folder in my documents wasn't enough. I also had to delete the saved games in \Steam\userdata\<your ID>\1213210\remote and disable the cloud sync in the the C&C remastered steam settings. Then it finally saved the Red Alert settings when I quit.

It also made the game startup a crapton faster, why I'm quoting Fallom. So it might be worth trying for everyone.
edit: User settings I was looking for are also in that steam folder, Player_RA_settings_1.bin

edit2: EA made nice little techtrees for GDI, Nod, Allies, & Soviets. Might be nice to put in the OP someplace.

Thanks, this worked!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

nexus6 posted:

The Veterancy mod for TD just updated (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2157643234&tscn=1594486072) to add in configurable building distance, A* pathfinding and rally points. I'm really enjoying using it as it now gives you a reason to keep units alive instead of replacing them. Units can also fire out of APC, like in Generals, and an APC full of rocket soldiers is a murder machine

Hot drat, this owns

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also I've posted this in other threads but IMO an acceptable alternate reading of Tiberian Dawn is that it is basically an unlicensed GI-JOE game, with NOD as COBRA.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Also I've posted this in other threads but IMO an acceptable alternate reading of Tiberian Dawn is that it is basically an unlicensed GI-JOE game, with NOD as COBRA.

yeah they definitely felt like Saturday morning cartoon villains for the first two games. It wasn't until C&C 3 that I feel like a genuine effort was made to show why Nod might be sympathetic or attractive as an organization.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

At the time, Micro Machines military forces were also available in the same colors as GDI and Nod, so you could play along with toy medium tanks and Nod buggies.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I was going to wait/hope for TS/RA2 collection, but get that Veterancy mod for RA and I'm gonna have to buy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Chronojam posted:

At the time, Micro Machines military forces were also available in the same colors as GDI and Nod, so you could play along with toy medium tanks and Nod buggies.
These, instead. http://www.toyarchive.com/Megaforce/Series1.html
All the bigger ones all had a transformer type aspect and cold carry the regular size ones. Looking at the smaller die-cast metal ones you can see why Tiberian Dawn was like the computer version of this toy line to me. Even the Orca is represented.