Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

So how many friends has everybody lost due to people just not taking this poo poo seriously?

I'm at like six hard 'friendship cancellations, ' and a lot more question marks, right now.

So many people I thought were cool who now eschew masks, go out to bars and parties, go see movies in theaters, claim that it's a hoax, openly state they'd rather people die of covid than keep the economy closed, etc while telling me I 'shouldn't be so uptight' and that they can't believe I'd 'let politics' get in the way of a friendship.

I know a lot of my smart friends who are taking this seriously are caught in between knowing the right thing to do but also not wanting to lose these other idiot friends, but seriously - gently caress anybody not taking this seriously. Ruining the country for their own petulant little temper tantrum.

To them I say: get hosed, you absolute pieces of human poo poo.

I had a pretty good thing going cooking out and socializing outdoors with a small group that didn't go outside the bubble and then three of them ran out and got jobs as bartenders as soon as SC opened up.

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Had weekly social distancing outdoor cookouts for a minute, then learned that one of the couples who regularly hosted was also hosting 'drinks nights' inside their home every week with nearly a dozen working professionals.

gently caress.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
So with the situation being what it is, have any of y'all used a face shield? It seems fairly uncontroversial that they work better than masks. The main drawbacks being that some are uncomfortable and that they look kinda stupid, but whatthefuckever, I don't want to get pwned by this virus.

They also appear to be easily procurable at the moment, so I'm thinking now's the time to buy one if I'm gonna do it.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Zugzwang posted:

So with the situation being what it is, have any of y'all used a face shield? It seems fairly uncontroversial that they work better than masks. The main drawbacks being that some are uncomfortable and that they look kinda stupid, but whatthefuckever, I don't want to get pwned by this virus.

They also appear to be easily procurable at the moment, so I'm thinking now's the time to buy one if I'm gonna do it.

I got a 3 pack on Amazon, the kind you wear like glasses, not the headband. It’s pretty comfortable and the acrylic is thin but the quality seems fine. No complaints.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

shame on an IGA posted:

I had a pretty good thing going cooking out and socializing outdoors with a small group that didn't go outside the bubble and then three of them ran out and got jobs as bartenders as soon as SC opened up.

:sever:

Like the poster beneath you, you gotta assume that most people who agree to meet up with you under social distancing rules are probably not sticking to them properly away from you. Your bartender friends were probably hanging with other friends up close the whole time, telling themselves "it's okay, we're staying alert".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Saw this on the way to my dealer

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Ordered a pizza for pick up yesterday.

Went inside and there was a a whole rear end family of like 10 eating inside, multiple people eating in there, just sitting and talking as if we don't live in a Covid hot spot. None of them wearing masks of course.

I was in there only a few minutes on the edge of the restaurant waiting for my poo poo. I swear to God I hope I don't catch this just picking up a pizza. I hate Texas.

What are my chances catching this poo poo if I was a poorly ventilated room with that many people on the edge of the room while wearing a mask?

Stop getting food from places that don't have contactless curbside.

Zugzwang posted:

I wear safety goggles and a mask.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Saw this on the way to my dealer

Good ol' West Chester...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
gently caress, I just ordered lovely nachos for after work but now I want lovely sushi for after work.

:mad:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zugzwang posted:

I've been wearing a $16 3M I picked up at Lowe's since the start. Not that uncomfortable, plus you get used to it. Also thick enough in case there's a riot

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cthulu Carl posted:

Good ol' West Chester...

My favorite part is that none of them are under 50, especially the old crones with the sign about school lunches

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Hey friends, I could use your advice. I have concert tickets that were originally for this October, but I just heard that the show has been postponed for a year. Do you think things will be safe next October? I only have 30 days to request a refund, so I can’t really wait and see how things go.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

My favorite part is that none of them are under 50, especially the old crones with the sign about school lunches

I guess on the bright side when I went to Meijer down the road to get stuff for my mom while she's recovering from a broken hip, Every one I saw had masks on - maybe a couple with noses exposed.

Some dude seemed like he was trying to resist by asking the girl at the door "Have you heard anything about not having to wear one if you have health problems?" She just said no and that was that, he kept the mask on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cthulu Carl posted:

I guess on the bright side when I went to Meijer down the road to get stuff for my mom while she's recovering from a broken hip, Every one I saw had masks on - maybe a couple with noses exposed.

Some dude seemed like he was trying to resist by asking the girl at the door "Have you heard anything about not having to wear one if you have health problems?" She just said no and that was that, he kept the mask on.

That's better than I've seen at that Meijer, but I haven't been in two weeks because I figured poo poo would be bad because of the 4th of July. Probably helps that there's a mask order now

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

remigious posted:

Hey friends, I could use your advice. I have concert tickets that were originally for this October, but I just heard that the show has been postponed for a year. Do you think things will be safe next October? I only have 30 days to request a refund, so I can’t really wait and see how things go.
Look in your heart, friend. How much faith do you have in the ability of powers that be to fix this?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Look in your heart, friend. How much faith do you have in the ability of powers that be to fix this?

None at all :( so...refund it is!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

remigious posted:

Nobody knows and it's not worth making hard projections at this point. As a musician, if you can afford to let them keep the money in exchange for rescheduled tickets please do - nobody in the industry is sure whether there will be any artists or venues left within a year so we need all the help we can.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

remigious posted:

None at all :( so...refund it is!

I want to go to a concert before October 2021

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

darkwasthenight posted:

Nobody knows and it's not worth making hard projections at this point. As a musician, if you can afford to let them keep the money in exchange for rescheduled tickets please do - nobody in the industry is sure whether there will be any artists or venues left within a year so we need all the help we can.

That is a really good point. Going to metal shows is pretty much the only thing I actually enjoy going out and doing and I’d be crushed if the venues all disappeared :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

remigious posted:

That is a really good point. Going to metal shows is pretty much the only thing I actually enjoy going out and doing and I’d be crushed if the venues all disappeared :(

I was going to go to a horror convention on March 21, it's been rescheduled for the same weekend in '21, but I feel like I'll just eat the $50 at this point

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

remigious posted:

One of the hosts of one of my favorite podcasts is extremely plugged into the Seattle music scene and has said the concert industry will be far more hurt by this than sports.

No concerts till 2022 is the current plan. The tough part is that this shuts down the livelihoods of event staff, tour staff, techs, all the behind the scenes people.

Not to mention venues shutting down permanently because of zero events.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Schadenboner posted:

gently caress, I just ordered lovely nachos for after work but now I want lovely sushi for after work.

:mad:

One of the top five craziest thoughts I've continuously had since March is how much I miss very bad supermarket (or god help you gas station) ready-made sushi. I don't know why.

It's not good or fresh, it's probably barely up to whatever health code. But I miss supermarket pre-made sushi.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

They don't "work better than masks"

They serve a different purpose.

Masks prevent your poo poo from getting out, and shields can prevent any residual fall off (along with distancing).

However, they are great at blocking particles from reaching your face from other people.

IDK if it's already been posted here but take a look, it's SCIENCE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tp0zB904Mc

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Face shields are good at reminding you not to touch your face, too

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
all of these states are going to lock down again, it's coming

except florida because florida is florida

quote:

In Georgia, which reported more than 4,000 new cases on Friday, Atlanta officials said they were preparing to shift back to “Phase 1” guidelines, which call for residents to largely stay at home.

quote:

In Texas, which reported record numbers of daily cases four times this week, Gov. Greg Abbott signaled the possibility of a new economic “lockdown” if the state cannot curtail the caseloads and hospitalizations that have made it one of the country’s worst hot spots in the pandemic.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

ketchup vs catsup posted:

No concerts till 2022 is the current plan. The tough part is that this shuts down the livelihoods of event staff, tour staff, techs, all the behind the scenes people.
That is so much worse than I thought :(

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

zer0spunk posted:

all of these states are going to lock down again, it's coming

except florida because florida is florida

I was telling my mom a few weeks ago that there was no way anyone was going to lockdown again because everyone would be too resistant to moving backwards. Really hoping that I’m wrong.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

remigious posted:

It's not good. Smaller scenes like metal shows are less likely to have the bands collapse cause few of them are full time anyway, but without financial support most independent venues will be dead and buried within six months - the big chains might last another six before they're in trouble too. Once those venues are gone the buildings will get bought up and converted to other things and nobody is going to hire spaces out to new venues because there is already a long standing pattern of landlords using noise complaints to shut them down and use the space for more profitable things.

In conclusion: support your local scene however you can, thanks for reading, and I'll have a large fries and Coke with that.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Florida governor Ron DeSantis will not lock down again. No way, not no how, not ever.

Local mayors/counties have and may continue to do so, but the trump hand up DeSantis’ butthole will not allow him to lockdown again.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Not to mention venues shutting down permanently because of zero events.

They can use them as overflow hospitals once the ICUs are overwhelmed!

(This was a thing in the uk with a big convention centre/exhibition space in London, think they've decommissioned it now we're at least not in a crazy exponential spike anymore. It didn't really see much use, like 20 people vs 500 bed capacity)

https://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/nightingale

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Hey, silly question but what does it feel like to catch Covid-19?

I know the symptoms, but has anyone had it and can tell of their experience?

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Patricia Lockwood wrote about her experience, she’s a poet whose memoir Priestdaddy I read a couple years back, so her descriptions are very evocative

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Masks prevent your poo poo from getting out, and shields can prevent any residual fall off (along with distancing).

However, they are great at blocking particles from reaching your face from other people.

Cool video, thanks. I like SCIENCE.

Kumo posted:

Hey, silly question but what does it feel like to catch Covid-19?

I know the symptoms, but has anyone had it and can tell of their experience?
Not a fan of Rogan's, but here's a guest of his talking about his experience getting it as a very fit 45-year-old:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgEUsIIhl0A

Discussion of the actual experience begins ~3:30 in.

Note that this is an extreme case given that he's a survivor. People vary a great deal with this thing.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cacafuego posted:

Florida governor Ron DeSantis will not lock down again. No way, not no how, not ever.

Local mayors/counties have and may continue to do so, but the trump hand up DeSantis’ butthole will not allow him to lockdown again.

Did they ever lock down in the first place? I thought all those red states had some cities that locked down, but many were forced to open back up by the chud governors.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

went to total wine and more today, everyone is wearing masks BY ORDER OF GOVERNOR GAVIN NEWSOM according to the sign on the front door. boomers everywhere bumbling around seemingly attempting to get as close to everyone else as they possibly can while they buy their solitary 20 oz bottle of Pliny or 17 bottles of the $2.99 chardonnay or whatever the gently caress olds drink

cashier, to me, in my disneyland shirt" so i bet you can't wait for disneyland to reopen!
me: no, i think it's a terrible idea
her: oh, me too
guy behind me standing 3 feet away even though the whole 15 feet behind him are empty, just to make sure he doesn't have to wait one single second longer: yeah some people really love to wait in line!
me, to him: yeah some people like to get real close too! would you mind backing up a little? *indicates the vast swath of empty space behind him
him (basically sobbing): hey, you to go HELL buddy! *very pointedly not moving*
me, stepping away so that i can work the card machine from arm's length and keep 6 feet between he and i: that's real mature, sir, i made a reasonable request

fucker just continued to stand there. i've had similar instances happen to me while refereeing soccer that i have been encouraged to pursue charges for assault about. what gives this people the loving right? something every day happens that just makes me more livid

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah whenever I see a healthcare professional wearing a shield they're also wearing a mask, which makes sense to me

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

boar guy posted:

went to total wine and more today, everyone is wearing masks BY ORDER OF GOVERNOR GAVIN NEWSOM according to the sign on the front door. boomers everywhere bumbling around seemingly attempting to get as close to everyone else as they possibly can while they buy their solitary 20 oz bottle of Pliny or 17 bottles of the $2.99 chardonnay or whatever the gently caress olds drink

cashier, to me, in my disneyland shirt" so i bet you can't wait for disneyland to reopen!
me: no, i think it's a terrible idea
her: oh, me too
guy behind me standing 3 feet away even though the whole 15 feet behind him are empty, just to make sure he doesn't have to wait one single second longer: yeah some people really love to wait in line!
me, to him: yeah some people like to get real close too! would you mind backing up a little? *indicates the vast swath of empty space behind him
him (basically sobbing): hey, you to go HELL buddy! *very pointedly not moving*
me, stepping away so that i can work the card machine from arm's length and keep 6 feet between he and i: that's real mature, sir, i made a reasonable request

fucker just continued to stand there. i've had similar instances happen to me while refereeing soccer that i have been encouraged to pursue charges for assault about. what gives this people the loving right? something every day happens that just makes me more livid

it's a free country

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Zugzwang posted:

If you get a face shield, as other posters have said, please use it in combination with a mask. You aren't reducing your exhaled aerosols nearly as well without a mask.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

other people posted:

it's a free country

'please back up a step or two into the ocean of available space so that we don't have to share the same potentially infected air'
'please let me stand here right next to you amidst this ocean of space so that we are forced to share the same potentially infected air'

not equally reasonable requests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Lol at calling a random guy in line in a shop 'sir'.