Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

So this yugioh game is cool but

1) where are tag duels

2) why is the music so trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Dias posted:

I think it looks harder than it actually plays, but I haven't made it past stage 5 of 8 yet - it's a roguelike so that's to be expected IMHO. I love the MMBN series but I was never amazing at it, so I don't think I'm ahead of the skill curve in any way or shape.

Like, it's HARD but I don't think it's especially unfair or anything, it's just overwhelming between dodging the enemy patterns and getting in position to use your own spells. You can mitigate it by drafting fire-and-forget skills tho.
Alright, thanks. I think it's the roguelike part that clinches it for me. I just have way too many of these waiting for me already at the moment, so I think I'll be skipping that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUDkjUe_0o
Shadow Warrior 3 looking sick. Way too early to tell but with the various one-hit-kill stage hazards and low ttk, I'm hoping they're abandoning the overmuch RPG stuff.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I want more Wang.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I want Hung Lo

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just finished Iratus: Lord of the Undead and not only is it better than Darkest Dungeons in every gameplay way, it also has a better ending (and DD's ending is superb). Hard recommend to anyone with a hankering for leading the undead hordes in a war against the living.

There's like 3 QoL things in the game that, if changed, would easily catapult it to my GOTY so far.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 11, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Devolver Digital crushing it this year as usual.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

This is the most Twin Peaks S3 things that has ever happened in the history of video games.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Orv posted:

Monster Hunter World also did really good numbers compared to past entries, though I don't recall how much of that was specifically down to PC.

It's done very well on the PC but this was long after Japanese games, RPGs in particular, began appearing in droves. The three games I listed were the ones that paved the way.

Cardiovorax posted:

It says in North America only, world-wide it sold a lot more than 100,000 units. Persona is a pretty big and popular series these days, after all

I referred to North American numbers because PC gaming isn't that popular in Japan (though has grown). The 500k is almost all players from English speaking countries. Regardless it still would have sold more than Persona 4 US + Japan anyway, but that's against the point I was trying to make.

Cardiovorax posted:

The second link in Punk Rebel's post says that P4 for the PS2 also sold at least an additional 300,000 copies in Japan alone, so that's nearly half a million units right there even without considering the rest of the world outside of Japan and NA.

That's after over a year of the initial Japanese release. But again, Japan isn't the main focus here.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 11, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Shrecknet posted:

Just finished Iratus: Lord of the Undead and not only is it better than Darkest Dungeons in every gameplay way, it also has a better ending (and DD's ending is superb). Hard recommend to anyone with a hankering for leading the undead hordes in a war against the living.

There's like 3 QoL things in the game that, if changed, would easily catapult it to my GOTY so far.
I've been coincidentally been playing that game for most of the day as well and I definitely agree. It has everything that made the combat system of Darkest Dungeon work, but better and without endlessly ambling through the same repetitive corridors over and over. I really like dual health/mental health mechanic it uses. Building teams that specialize in either mental or physical damage is both pretty much equally viable and you can even use a mixture without losing a lot in the way of straightforward power. Piling the sanity damage DoTs on a group of enemies and just watching them all keel over from heart attacks a few turns later is weirdly satisfying.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shrecknet posted:

Hell yeah. What are those three QoL things? I'm curious.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What happened to Too Shy Guy? They haven't posted in a long time...

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUDkjUe_0o
Shadow Warrior 3 looking sick. Way too early to tell but with the various one-hit-kill stage hazards and low ttk, I'm hoping they're abandoning the overmuch RPG stuff.

Looks like they combined Bulletstorm and Doom Eternal.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
They definitely still pop up on my Steam feed, streaming games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hey I just scored bingo again -

quote:

A fusion of roguelite, tower defense, city-building, and deck-building! We created a new kind of real time strategy game filled with addictive and fast-paced gameplay. Create your deck, defend your city, and build the largest Ratropolis in history!

I have no idea if this fusion can work but hey, I have it. Time to see how it is.

e: Okay, trip report: not bad! Cute twist on the deck-builder genre, where everything you do is through cards and you protect a 2D settlement from attacking waves by managing the economy to build more guards and such. It has rough edges from being in EA but I'd keep an eye on it. I know I will.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 11, 2020

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I did another run of One Step From Eden and I made it to the final boss, but got absolutely wrecked. You can put together some pretty crazy bullshit with ice lady and her normal attack triggering Frost all the time.

Game is fun, never stop moving.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dias posted:

I did another run of One Step From Eden and I made it to the final boss, but got absolutely wrecked. You can put together some pretty crazy bullshit with ice lady and her normal attack triggering Frost all the time.

Game is fun, never stop moving.

I picked OSFE up when it first popped up and found it way way way too hard after the first couple fights. How's the difficulty seemed to you?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Blattdorf posted:

Devolver Digital crushing it this year as usual.

Definitely one of my favorite publishers. I think I own like half of their catalog and actually enjoy everything I own.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

unfortunate thing about the RPG stuff in shadow warrior 2 was that the loop of getting skill points, getting more powerful, turning up the difficulty to the next level once you were starting to get overpowered and just roaming around looking for things to kill in repeatable zones was really good - it just completely ruined itself when one of the insanity levels literally doubled the speed of enemies so the gameplay fell apart, and pretty much every aspect of the gem system needed to be overhauled. I wouldn't mind another crack at that kind of game that addressed its problems and expanded on it instead of going back to a doom-style game, but maybe it's for the best.

unrelated: not sold on wang having hair

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Just tried their Devolverland Expo advertise-game. What a cool way to experience the whole thing. And they actually had a boss fight ha!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hell yeah. What are those three QoL things? I'm curious.

1) a warning or tooltip that minions committed to the graveyard are there for good

2) stay focused on the same alchemy solution/hero/etc when you're going back and forth

2a) keep your team highlighted on the dungeon crawl board. So many times I look at the board, go back to equip a relevant artifact, then back to the dungeon board and i have to re-highlight my team

3) better text explaining how powers work/trigger

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

1) a warning or tooltip that minions committed to the graveyard are there for good

2) stay focused on the same alchemy solution/hero/etc when you're going back and forth

2a) keep your team highlighted on the dungeon crawl board. So many times I look at the board, go back to equip a relevant artifact, then back to the dungeon board and i have to re-highlight my team

3) better text explaining how powers work/trigger

I agree with all of those, they would be handy. Thanks!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What I'd have liked would have been a warning that items are also forever stuck on the minion on which you equipped them. If you can remove them, I haven't figured out how yet.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

HopperUK posted:

It's not FMV and it's not everyone's taste, but check the Kitty Powers games. They're cute and silly and warm-hearted.

Wishlisted!

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Sininu posted:

What happened to Too Shy Guy? They haven't posted in a long time...

Too Shy Guy's been streaming more than reviewing lately (https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames) and has been active on his own Discord server. (https://discord.gg/uFCqdxe) He goes by Audish off of SA.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

unfortunate thing about the RPG stuff in shadow warrior 2 was that the loop of getting skill points, getting more powerful, turning up the difficulty to the next level once you were starting to get overpowered and just roaming around looking for things to kill in repeatable zones was really good - it just completely ruined itself when one of the insanity levels literally doubled the speed of enemies so the gameplay fell apart, and pretty much every aspect of the gem system needed to be overhauled. I wouldn't mind another crack at that kind of game that addressed its problems and expanded on it instead of going back to a doom-style game, but maybe it's for the best.

They really over complicated the game so I hope they ditch most of the ideas from 2

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The gem system was really annoying. They did try a lot to fix it, but it was just inherritly flawed so nothing really helped. I also enjoyed that 2 provided rather good coop with that Diablo style, wouldn't really mind if they take another shot at it with more experience. I think FWH is aware that no one really liked that part of SW2.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Carecat posted:

They really over complicated the game so I hope they ditch most of the ideas from 2

The gems are the main problem the game had. They just kinda broke everything by their existence.

SW3 is apparently returning to a linear campaign so I expect the loot system to be gone completely.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
People used to go an expo to play some new games, so instead Devolver made a new game where you go to an expo.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I did enjoy the large variety of weapons the game had though. Katanas, Claws, Dual Swords, Chainsaws, just the melee ones were already a treat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Has anyone played Nekro?

It was one of those EA/Greenlight games from 2014 that went on in development for quite a while and then was suddenly just outright canceled. The dev is still posting in steam discussion and said the game was 99% finished but they didn't make enough money and some other devs just dropped it and walked away.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Has anyone played Nekro?

It was one of those EA/Greenlight games from 2014 that went on in development for quite a while and then was suddenly just outright canceled. The dev is still posting in steam discussion and said the game was 99% finished but they didn't make enough money and some other devs just dropped it and walked away.

Yeah I was an unfortunate backer. Not only did the other dev apparently drop it, he ran away with a bunch of the money allegedly and has all the access to the publishing rights.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The real tragedy is that people genuinely believed Kickstarters could be anything other then failures.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Noted failures: hollow knight, shovel knight, undertale, a hat in time, divinity: original sin 1/2 and bloodstained

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

this is a really good freaking video game, y'all (ed: speaking of notable kickstarter failures :v:)

gently caress the manor tho :cry:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Ciaphas posted:

Funny thing about the manor: there's a teleport to the attic if you crawl around in the basement

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Snatcher is a real good boss fight.

"Did you just make me blue with my own attack? That doesn't count, right?"

Orv
May 4, 2011

pentyne posted:

The real tragedy is that people genuinely believed Kickstarters could be anything other then failures.

This is an unbelievably dumb take but Nekro in particular was never that good anyway.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ciaphas posted:

this is a really good freaking video game, y'all (ed: speaking of notable kickstarter failures :v:)

The game is very underrated. It's arguably the best 3D platformer not made by Nintendo.

SirSamVimes posted:

Noted failures: hollow knight, shovel knight, undertale, a hat in time, divinity: original sin 1/2 and bloodstained

Pretty much. It is a very mixed bag, but it more than balances out because we get so many games we would have no way of getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

SirSamVimes posted:

More noted failures like:Hypnospace Outlaw, Overload, FTL, SUPERHOT and Darkest Dungeon