Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Minor location spoilers for Last of Us 2, I like when games play more interestingly with 3D geometry, and the wrecked ship is a good example. It's not mind-boggling or anything, but it adds a great consistent sense of disorientation to a real-word setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

This is the deciding factor imo. Breath of the Wild was great for letting you use game mechanics to solve puzzles in unconventional ways. You could push around a bunch of electrically-charged boxes to connect metal tiles and complete a circuit as intended, or you can just drop all your metal weapons, shields, etc in a line from the beginning of the intended circuit to the end and be done with it, just for one example

I'm currently playing through Ori and the Will of the Wisps and this is something that game is pretty good at. Most of the game's platforming segments have an "intended" solution, but if you don't have the right moves yet, it's often possible to brute-force your way through with different ones.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
My favorite little thing about BOTW is still that equipping fire/ice weapons lets you raise/lower your temperature without potions or armor. It's such an intuitive and natural idea but most "game logic" wouldn't bother accounting for it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pulsarcat posted:

I was one of the people who didn't find the guy who upgrades your inventory until after I completed two or three dungeons, I found the item he wanted a couple hours in, but I simply never bumped into him.

The game gives you so much freedom in how you get too places I basically never travelled along roads so I missed a bunch of stuff.

I eventually just looked up where he was because despite wanting to play through the game blind the default inventory size was becoming unbearable.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

My favorite little thing about BOTW is still that equipping fire/ice weapons lets you raise/lower your temperature without potions or armor. It's such an intuitive and natural idea but most "game logic" wouldn't bother accounting for it.

The game also only makes this work in your favor, so equipping an ice weapon in a cold zone doesn’t lower your temperature, but equipping a fire weapon does raise your temperature there, and vice versa for hot zones

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Rise of the Tomb Raider's survival mode Lara can warm herself up by lighting herself on fire with arrows or Molotov cocktails. I think there's even an achievement for it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

exquisite tea posted:

In Rise of the Tomb Raider's survival mode Lara can warm herself up by lighting herself on fire with arrows or Molotov cocktails. I think there's even an achievement for it.

Well you know what they say, build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night. Set a man on fire on you'll warm him for the rest of his life.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The Titanfall 2 campaign is the best single player FPS campaign I've played in many years for a vast number of reasons, but something small that I like about it is how it helps you with some of the more intricate jumping puzzles. If you stand near the beginning of a jump, your HUD will start "scanning the terrain" and "plotting a course". If you let it finish, you can activate a hologram of yourself that ghost runs the jump sequence as a demonstration.

I like it because: A. It's completely optional and un-intrusive B. It makes complete sense in universe to have this utility available and C. It removes any confusion about how to perform the maneuver while leaving intact the challenge of actually pulling it off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Riatsala posted:

The Titanfall 2 campaign is the best single player FPS campaign I've played in many years for a vast number of reasons, but something small that I like about it is how it helps you with some of the more intricate jumping puzzles.

Lots of games in recent years have been doing this kind of thing as an optional feature which I super appreciate. Last of Us 2 is good as well, by default it'll give you some time, then have your companion NPC make a comment or wander in the right direction, or you can just go in the menu and skip through a lot of the environmental puzzles if you like. It's a really good trend.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
One thing I've been loving in new games is the options to just hold a button to complete a QTE. I replayed RE4 the other week, and I must be getting old, because I had a lot of trouble with Krauser and some of the boulder chases.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Riatsala posted:

The Titanfall 2 campaign is the best single player FPS campaign I've played in many years for a vast number of reasons

Titanfall 2 was worth the $10 I spent on Steam just for the time travel level. The ending where you have to jump down a ventilation shaft and quickly switch between timelines about five times before hitting the ground was such a ridiculous "gamey" moment that I actually burst out laughing when it happened.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Titanfall 2 was worth the $10 I spent on Steam just for the time travel level. The ending where you have to jump down a ventilation shaft and quickly switch between timelines about five times before hitting the ground was such a ridiculous "gamey" moment that I actually burst out laughing when it happened.

Oh man that was so good, agreed on the whole campaign too. I loved it so much I never even felt ripped off that I didn't touch multiplayer a single time.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

This is great, but Alyx's Multitool is a goddamn voice recorder

Alyx saved the world with a modified voice recorder that uses double A batteries and duct tape

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

And cassettes

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Also wondered how the extended clip worked on the gun, now I know:
https://i.imgur.com/Y9toggK.mp4
just little rear end arms

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Amazed re: the personal cassette recorder. Less certain about having a little robot buddy help you load extra bullets :sweatdrop:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

TontoCorazon posted:

This is great, but Alyx's Multitool is a goddamn voice recorder

Alyx saved the world with a modified voice recorder that uses double A batteries and duct tape

Is that from the book thing they released today?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, I just finished it. It's a wonderful read and makes me super excited for the next Half-Life game in 2031

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TontoCorazon posted:

Yeah, I just finished it. It's a wonderful read and makes me super excited for the next Half-Life game in 2031

:negative:

but also, i've come to accept that most major half-life releases are now fan made mods. so I suppose that's a little thing I'll add to the thread.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

TontoCorazon posted:

Is that when episode 3 has been late as long as Duke Nukem Forever?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I played through Tales of Berseria a couple of years ago, loved it, and loved the fashion system, which let you add things like hats, charms, jewelry, change costumes and hairstyles. I decided to give it another play, and just found out for some of these things, you can change their color, as well as their position along the X, Y, and Z axis, including their size. I've only got the cowboy hat so far, but you can make it dumbass long like a Xenomorph skull on your characters head.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Leavemywife posted:

I played through Tales of Berseria a couple of years ago, loved it, and loved the fashion system, which let you add things like hats, charms, jewelry, change costumes and hairstyles. I decided to give it another play, and just found out for some of these things, you can change their color, as well as their position along the X, Y, and Z axis, including their size. I've only got the cowboy hat so far, but you can make it dumbass long like a Xenomorph skull on your characters head.

Xillia did the same thing. I still haven't played a lot of it but as soon as I got the dolphin plushie I clipped it right through the protagonist's face. He's a dolphin now.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
This sounds incredibly relevant to my interests. What system is it on?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Dash Rendar posted:

:negative:

but also, i've come to accept that most major half-life releases are now fan made mods. so I suppose that's a little thing I'll add to the thread.

I kid of course, if going by the article it kinda sounds like they ironed out their problems and are probably actively working on the next game. Whether it's Half-Life or left 4 dead I don't mind because valve has shown they still got it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leavemywife posted:

Eizen without that dapper top hat frankly just feels wrong to me. It just completes his default costume so perfectly.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

bony tony posted:

This sounds incredibly relevant to my interests. What system is it on?

I've got it on PS4, but I think they're on PC, too.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eizen without that dapper top hat frankly just feels wrong to me. It just completes his default costume so perfectly.

I found that if you give him the shades, he looks like a pirate-style Albert Wesker. I think you might have had to change his hair style, too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kensa in AssCreed: Origins is just:discourse:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

I found that if you give him the shades, he looks like a pirate-style Albert Wesker. I think you might have had to change his hair style, too.

This is exactly what I did, shades, 'hat-style' hair (so it's slicked back)....also a bowtie because why not.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Character customizations that follow through during cutscenes are always one of my favorite things, but now I wish you could do it for enemies too. Like, instead of fighting regular old Supercool Albert Wesker, I want to fight Actual Pirate Albert Wesker.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of dapper top hats, I would feel remiss in my duties if I failed to mention Bloodborne.

Unlike the Dark Souls games, the armour and weapons that you equip have no effect on your movement and rolling speed. The various armour sets don't provide a lot in the way of damage reduction, they're more for specific situations where elemental resistance is needed for an area or boss. This means you're given much more leniency to focus on style.

One of my favourite play throughs was using the Cane/Whip weapon, and always wearing the Top Hat, for maximum class and style.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Milady Maria

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
Dead Space 3 - one of the optional missions is to pursue a rogue cowboy spaceman in the middle of the ship for loots and whatnot. If you choose to do so, rockin' country music start blaring out the speakers until you escape the zone . It was so dumb but multiple voice recordings from other characters about how they hated that music was great.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yu-Gi-Oh: Legacy of the Duelist's story mode is all about playing famous duels from the show, with both sides using recreations of the decks used. You unlock a harder version of the duel afterwards, but they do a neat thing with that: you instead have to play as the other guy. This actually turns some of the easiest duels in the game into real bastards, because you're playing as the guy designed to lose.

One of the effective tutorial levels is the opening duel between Yugi and Kaiba that's ended by summoning Exodia. As Yugi that duel's pretty easy, because his deck is designed around drawing a bunch of cards to fish for Exodia, and Kaiba doesn't really have any ways to stop you doing that. But then you have to play as Kaiba, and it's hard as hell because not only can't he counter it, some of his best tools just make Yugi's job easier.

It's just a hilarious way to revisit a tutorial and make it hard, and I love it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got around to playing through the Animaniacs Gamecube game over the last couple of days, The Great Edgar Hunt. It's a lot of fun, has varied levels and come cute easter eggs. Even some of the small collectibles take you to unique areas and puzzles. also for those small collectibles where it's "collect 145/300" for each world, there is a good tell - the counter appears on screen if there are collectibles in the area, then after they've all been collected the meter goes away, signalling for you to start looking elsewhere until it pops back up again. Not as effective as Sparx literally pointing to missing Gems, but it's nice that they thought of it. Also the writing is actually funny at times.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Cleretic posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh: Legacy of the Duelist's story mode is all about playing famous duels from the show, with both sides using recreations of the decks used. You unlock a harder version of the duel afterwards, but they do a neat thing with that: you instead have to play as the other guy. This actually turns some of the easiest duels in the game into real bastards, because you're playing as the guy designed to lose.

One of the effective tutorial levels is the opening duel between Yugi and Kaiba that's ended by summoning Exodia. As Yugi that duel's pretty easy, because his deck is designed around drawing a bunch of cards to fish for Exodia, and Kaiba doesn't really have any ways to stop you doing that. But then you have to play as Kaiba, and it's hard as hell because not only can't he counter it, some of his best tools just make Yugi's job easier.

It's just a hilarious way to revisit a tutorial and make it hard, and I love it.

Doesn’t a later opponent use that same deck against Yugi, and it has a chance to K.O. before you can attack?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Double Punctuation posted:

Doesn’t a later opponent use that same deck against Yugi, and it has a chance to K.O. before you can attack?

I haven't gotten that far yet, but basically any Exodia deck has a chance for a one-turn kill, so I'm not surprised.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

This reminds me of Card City Nights 2. After you beat the game the first time, you unlock a set of challenge characters that change up the rules in various ways. One of them is a mirror, and therefore turns every match into a mirror match, where you use the AI's deck against them. It turns out to be surprisingly difficult to beat several of the early decks when you're stuck with their terrible, terrible cards. Even when you do have enough damage output to kill the opponent, you have to figure out how to keep them from using the same cards to kill you a half-turn before your killing blow lands.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The Zombie Guy posted:

One of my favourite play throughs was using the Cane/Whip weapon, and always wearing the Top Hat, for maximum class and style.

Fashionborne was one of my favorite things. My first character also almost exclusively used the Threaded Cane, but my second was a bloodtinge-build dracula who used the blood katana, and my third was an arcane-build nerdy girl with glasses who wore priest robes and pulled out a giant wheel to smash her enemies with

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Saints Row 2 is free with XBox live. There's a car that's a burger, fries, and a shake. If you drive it while holding pepper spray, the straw on the shake spews pepper spray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Just started to get into Doom 2016, I'm really liking the difficulty curve so far. Only done the first three missions, but only died in combat maybe twice, though a lot of times I've been under the pressure of 1/4 health or less by the middle of a fight. Granted I am not really great at shooters, but I'm having fun.

All the weapons I've found so far are quite fun too, alternate fire modes really help weapons stand out and change up how you use them.

Finally, though the game is as violent as it is, it doesn't feel... mean? gross? I can go through zombies like health packs you need to dismember and not feel grossed out, whereas any time I try to watch a video of a modern Mortal Kombat game it makes me queasy within a couple minutes.

Really, really liking that the game basically lets you go around searching for secrets at your leisure, too, since I'm the type of idiot who needs to find eeverything.