Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I read Circe and it was very, very good.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

just check out this awesome cover

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
I just finished "Magic For Liars" by Sarah Gailey. It was more enjoyable to read than it was to finish. It's a Noir Mystery set in a magic highschool and the main character is a non magic P.I. I recommend it but the ending felt a little bland and some sub plots that wound up feeling more like filler than anything leading somewhere.

Now I'm reading "Norse Mythology" by Neil Gaiman

3D Megadoodoo

Evil Bob posted:

I just finished "Magic For Liars" by Sarah Gailey. It was more enjoyable to read than it was to finish. It's a Noir Mystery set in a magic highschool and the main character is a non magic P.I. I recommend it but the ending felt a little bland and some sub plots that wound up feeling more like filler than anything leading somewhere.

After reading Rivers of London I've been extremely wary of any sort of magic cum crime literature :(

Finger Prince

3D Megadoodoo posted:

After reading Rivers of London I've been extremely wary of any sort of magic cum crime literature :(

*puts on wizard's coat and deerstalker*

cda

by Hand Knit

3D Megadoodoo posted:

magic cum crime

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

nut

think they're referring to android blues posts in the genitals thread just now

3D Megadoodoo

I love 90s graphic design.

Maria Lang is like the Swedish Agatha Christie maybe I guess. Just started reading this but I bet someone is going to get shot in Sweden in Summer.

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

magic cum crime literature

Where can I find more magic cum crime literature? As a person new to the magic cum crime genre my mind is filled with the possibilities this genre presents.

verycute

the english translation of the hungarian novel 'the door' Magda Szabó

its a sort of surreal story about two women who are neighbors. one woman is a writer who employs the older woman as a housekeeper, but the older woman lives in a house no one has ever been permitted to enter. the story explores their relationship and how it implodes.

hard to describe in anyway that does it justice, but i really didn't expect to be as drawn in as i was.

leaving this comment actually makes me want to reread it even though i finished it just a few months ago

its really strange and the english translation by Len Rix is especially well done

3D Megadoodoo

Evil Bob posted:

Where can I find more magic cum crime literature? As a person new to the magic cum crime genre my mind is filled with the possibilities this genre presents.

inquire with you're local librarian i'm sure the result will satisfy

ulvir

gonna take a dive into the Cambridge introduction to literature and the environment

new national curriculum has introduced a few overarching topics that is to be included in every subject, amongst them sustainable development, so might as well get a better understanding of ecocriticism/-poetics before next school year

ulvir

me reading Rachel Carson once

cda

by Hand Knit

ulvir posted:

gonna take a dive into the Cambridge introduction to literature and the environment

new national curriculum has introduced a few overarching topics that is to be included in every subject, amongst them sustainable development, so might as well get a better understanding of ecocriticism/-poetics before next school year

ecocriticism is wild, pun not intended, but seriously there are some extermely interesting and out there people writing in that field. do they got donna haraway in there?

----------------

ulvir

cda posted:

ecocriticism is wild, pun not intended, but seriously there are some extermely interesting and out there people writing in that field. do they got donna haraway in there?

all of it is written by James Clark, but Haraway is cited a whole bunch in there from glancing at the index

it has an entire chapter on post-humanism that I’m looking forward to

ulvir

I’m a dumbass, I meant Timothy Clark

not sure how James got in that post

cda

by Hand Knit
james. Timothy. same thing.

oh I see it's not an anthology, anyway, that's pretty cool. ecocriticism is hot rn for obvious reasons (the planet is also hot)

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

Jim is short for Jimothy.

MockingQuantum

I was reading some horror novels but they're a bit much for me at the moment, so instead I read Man in the High Castle and now I'm reading some Flannery O'Connor short stories

thank you luvcow for the sig

cda

by Hand Knit

MockingQuantum posted:

I was reading some horror novels but they're a bit much for me at the moment, so instead I read Man in the High Castle and now I'm reading some Flannery O'Connor short stories

Getting a little chuckle at the idea of retreating from horror to the lighthearted, life-affirming stories of Franz Kafka and Flannery O'Connor

xcheopis

cda posted:

Getting a little chuckle at the idea of retreating from horror to the lighthearted, life-affirming stories of Franz Kafka and Flannery O'Connor

Quoting before you look up the author
:cheeky:

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

i havent read any fiction nor any dostoevsky in quite a while so I am now reading "The Double" by Dostoevsky

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Ass-penny

A page late, but just throwing it out there that Left Hand of Darkness was a wild ride, and Le Guin is fantastic. I'm sad I didn't pick up any of her books before she was dead.

I'm still not done with Ender's Game, but I was waiting for my car to get worked on last week and read about a third of the way through Tomorrow's Bones by Shanna Germain. It's set in the pen and paper RPG Numenera's world, so it's super weird but I'm rather enjoying it. I've read two other novels in the same world by Germain, she makes the weird setting pop and makes enjoyable characters.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

MockingQuantum

cda posted:

I think you're thinking of The Castle, but the point stands for PKD as well

I'm assuming A Good Man is Hard to Find is just about the family finding a good man, right? ...right??!

thank you luvcow for the sig

Finger Prince

rear end-penny posted:

A page late, but just throwing it out there that Left Hand of Darkness was a wild ride, and Le Guin is fantastic. I'm sad I didn't pick up any of her books before she was dead.

I'm still not done with Ender's Game, but I was waiting for my car to get worked on last week and read about a third of the way through Tomorrow's Bones by Shanna Germain. It's set in the pen and paper RPG Numenera's world, so it's super weird but I'm rather enjoying it. I've read two other novels in the same world by Germain, she makes the weird setting pop and makes enjoyable characters.

Cool, I'll give that one a look. The only one of hers I read was Worlds of Exile and Ruin. I couldn't remember anything about it, but I skimmed through the summary and a few pages and oh yeah the one with the little alien people, that was pretty cool. I did enjoy reading it, but it didnt really stick with me. But I'd read another book by her.

Ass-penny

I read Worlds of Exile earlier this year, LHoD was way more engaging.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

take the moon

by sebmojo
i believe CDA was being amusing in his post

im just reading indie stuff like america by will bernardara jr

also scans of blood electric since corvid deep sixed my attempt to get a real copy

take the moon fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 12, 2020

----------------

Stunt_enby

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

just started this, idk how good/accurate it is going to be but my local bookstore had it and amazon has decent reviews for it

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

Stuntman posted:

just started this, idk how good/accurate it is going to be but my local bookstore had it and amazon has decent reviews for it

It's interesting that he's a cultural historian. Cultural history can be real real good (Raymond Williams) or real real bad depending on the degree to which the author sees culture as self-creating rather than contingent on "non cultural" factors.

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Stuntman posted:

The "A new history" subheading sounds, by itself, really ominous. Like "Alternative Facts".

Mummy Napkin
I’ve been out of reading for a while but been really back into it. I just finished Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis and thought it was fantastic and excited to read the rest of the Space trilogy. I’m usually not really into the sci-fi fantasy stuff so my familiarity with the narnia stuff is limited, but I’ve always had an interest in the Inklings and their relationship with religion and all that jazz.

I’m a good ways into Growth of the Soil by Knut Hamsun and I think I got a bunk translation because the prose is just kind of bizarre.

also reading The First Philosophers. I’m a dummy with no basic philosophical knowledge so figured I’d start with the pre-Socratic and the Sophists and honestly I just don’t have the mindset to really digest these sort of writings. makes me feel dumb but I guess you gotta start somewhere.

twoday

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

I’ve been reading this, which explains how the Mayan script works. It’s really really interesting and works totally different from other writing systems. I don’t speak the Mayan language so I can’t just read stuff in Mayan, but I now know enough to be able to look stuff up in a dictionary, or recognize some symbols, and understand a bit how their calendar works. It’s pretty neat.

The Mayan calendar is broken up into eras called baktuns, with the most recent starting either in 2012 or 2020. These eras are what everyone talks about when they talk about the end of the world or the end of time or whatever. Funnily enough, the symbol for ‘Baktun’ is Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent god, making a :thunk: face:

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I think Quetzalcoatl turning up this year and wrecking poo poo might be a nice change of pace

xcheopis

Mummy Napkin posted:

I’ve been out of reading for a while but been really back into it. I just finished Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis and thought it was fantastic and excited to read the rest of the Space trilogy. I’m usually not really into the sci-fi fantasy stuff so my familiarity with the narnia stuff is limited, but I’ve always had an interest in the Inklings and their relationship with religion and all that jazz.

I’m a good ways into Growth of the Soil by Knut Hamsun and I think I got a bunk translation because the prose is just kind of bizarre.

also reading The First Philosophers. I’m a dummy with no basic philosophical knowledge so figured I’d start with the pre-Socratic and the Sophists and honestly I just don’t have the mindset to really digest these sort of writings. makes me feel dumb but I guess you gotta start somewhere.

The second in Lewis' space trilogy is decent, the final one not so much.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 23, 2020

Mummy Napkin

xcheopis posted:

The second in Lewis' space trilogy is decent, the final one not so much.

dang that’s a shame. I thought the final one was supposed to be the really good one

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

blaise rascal posted:

just check out this awesome cover

Want this.

beer pal

whts up yobbos heres what ive been reading. the calvino book winter traveler night is very silly and fun and good. u ever read a book and think wow the author really seemed like they were having a good time with this one. then i read the short stories collection exhalation by ted chiang and thought it was pretty good. i would describe it as "solid". i finally finished a scanner darkly by phillip k dick which was my book for at work and i didnt much like it, i found it very ugly in a way that i didnt enjoy. just this morning finished the sailor who fell from grace w/ the sea by yukio mishima & i dont know how to talk about a book like that so ill just say "its a wild one"

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

ulvir

I love If on a winter’s night

beer pal

hell ya. u read any other calvino? probably gonna pick up invisible cities before too long

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

beer pal posted:

hell ya. u read any other calvino? probably gonna pick up invisible cities before too long

i've tried mr palomar but i kinda burned out on it after a couple chapters because iget it i get italo