Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

empty whippet box posted:

I loving DID IT!!!! I GOT THE LOST KITTY!!!!! I'M SO loving HAPPY RIGHT NOW this cat has been missing for SIX WEEKS and their owners are coming down from Houston tonight. I loving DID IT!!!!

I'm hitting f5 but i don't see the picture of a confused caught cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You are a hero! Post pics soon please

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I loving DID IT!!!! I GOT THE LOST KITTY!!!!! I'M SO loving HAPPY RIGHT NOW this cat has been missing for SIX WEEKS and their owners are coming down from Houston tonight. I loving DID IT!!!!

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Absolute hero. Thank you!

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

:toot: :toot: :toot: That's fantastic! Congratulations!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

I'm hitting f5 but i don't see the picture of a confused caught cat

after many many pictures and videos sent to the owner for confirmation including an awkward cat butt shot to make sure it's not her brother,

I DID IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

Only registered members can see post attachments!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
she's resisting a good picture, but she is warming up to me already and has let me pick her up and pet her.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

cat is happy to be inside again

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Toast is a young boy, at a little less than two years. Good to hear he should eventually recover fine. I'll call my vet and ask about pain meds tomorrow.

Congrats on the kitty catch, by the way. The very same day we took Toast to the vet, and set him up his own little room to limit his movement, a little gray and white fuzz ball ran out of the woods at the end of our street. Our neighbors were trying to catch her, but were having no luck. She would run away if you got close, but if you started to walk away, she would chase you. All this while crying at the top of her lungs. We figured someone had dumped her. Little kittens can move hella fast on those tiny legs, too. It took five hours to catch her, but we got her in the end. Afraid of big towering people until she got to know you. Total sweetheart ball of purrs. She has a happy new home with a retired chemistry teacher now. :)

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

You did it you did it you did it!!!! YOU ROCK.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

Evidently treating a kitten at the shelter for worms is oftentimes insufficient, so everyone with kittens should presume their kitten has at least worm eggs if you ask me. My shelter cat I adopted 4 weeks ago has confirmed roundworms after an initial de-wormer at the shelter and an initial round of antibiotics for the diarrhea that went away, but after perfectly healthy poops for weeks now he’s got vomiting and diarrhea and my ragdoll kitten is now also having diarrhea when he had healthy bowel movements for almost 2 weeks now. Really makes my night to be brushing my teeth while watching a kitten in its litter box eject liquid hell and a visible, pale worm out (I had sent a fecal out earlier in the day for testing). Anyone got tips for keeping long hair cats clean and sanitized when they’ve got diarrhea?

Go to a groomer and ask for a "hygenic cut". This is also good for older/fatter cats that have difficulty cleaning their back half.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

:bisonyes:Kitty will be happy to be going home!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
130k dead from covid 19? numb, no real emotional reaction. I got a lost kitty back after six weeks? literally shaking and in tears and can't contain my emotions about it at all. if someone got my cat back after six weeks lost I would build a fuckin shrine to them in my house. i don't believe in karma but holy poo poo did I bank some serious cat karma today. Now, if one of my babies is ever lost, I can believe it's possible we'll get them back even if it's been weeks. I'm seriously over the moon about this, one of my proudest moments of my entire fuckin' life, god drat this owns

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

after many many pictures and videos sent to the owner for confirmation including an awkward cat butt shot to make sure it's not her brother,

yay

Seriously though, you did a very good thing today.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

You are awesome!! When I was in HS my sister's cat was stolen and when she was finally found six months later we were so happy and thankful for everyone that called and helped. You did a really great thing today.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's 4:30 am and they're about 10 minutes away, having left houston 6 hours ago absolutely ASAP after I gave them the news, I'm weirdly anxious about it lol. This should own though

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have done some good things in my life but right at this moment, this feels like the best thing so far. I'm so happy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Family: WE'RE SO HAPPY

Cat: I do not want this please put me down

Cats gonna cat

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Aww that cat is so little :3: glad you managed to reunite them!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol I posted this on reddit and it's getting upvoted and all but I can't help but notice that sometimes it ticks down by one, who the gently caress would downvote a thing like this????

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

lol I posted this on reddit and it's getting upvoted and all but I can't help but notice that sometimes it ticks down by one, who the gently caress would downvote a thing like this????

reddit does vote obfuscation to make it harder for bots to determine whether or not they're having an effect

they do this by randomly adjusting the vote count by a little bit up or down

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Buff Hardback posted:

reddit does vote obfuscation to make it harder for bots to determine whether or not they're having an effect

they do this by randomly adjusting the vote count by a little bit up or down

Wow someone should post this as a TIL on Reddit dot com

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Arrived: new Magsafe charger, cable sleeve. Hopefully this will be less tasty

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I pulled two of the large serving plates my mom gave me when I moved out down for the assholes and it's been three days with no flipped food dishes. So it's looking like he just apparently decided the bowl was too small after years of having it

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My cat has had some pretty good poop discipline, shes never missed a poop or pee. But for some reason the last 2 months every once in a while she will drag in a sock into the litter box. Only once was to actually cover a pee, and yes there is always sufficient free litter for her to cover it up herself. So yeah, cat bringing socks/toys into litter tray, is just cat?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
That six-week reunion story is amazing empty whippet box! It’s giving me hope for Midnight. Tbf, I’ve seen a cat that looks like her on the wildlife cam I set up next to a feeding station in my garage, but it’s being a butt about getting into a trap, and only comes around after midnight. It’s very frustrating

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
my cat has been acting up a bit this spring, occasionally throwing up and having some odd behaviour changes. we took her to the vet and the only thing they found was that her blood sugar was high so they diagnosed her with diabetes and gave us some special cat food. it's been a couple weeks and it seems to be working but the food is expensive as hell. they sold us this Purina veterinary dry food which is $42 for a 6 lb bag; we had been feeding her Iams Healthy Senior dry food which is $20 for 16lb. is it really necessary to spend 5x more for diabetic cat food? it seems exorbitant

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

turd in my singlet posted:

my cat has been acting up a bit this spring, occasionally throwing up and having some odd behaviour changes. we took her to the vet and the only thing they found was that her blood sugar was high so they diagnosed her with diabetes and gave us some special cat food. it's been a couple weeks and it seems to be working but the food is expensive as hell. they sold us this Purina veterinary dry food which is $42 for a 6 lb bag; we had been feeding her Iams Healthy Senior dry food which is $20 for 16lb. is it really necessary to spend 5x more for diabetic cat food? it seems exorbitant

I am not a vet, but the information in the old pet food OP recommended sticking with prescriptions.

Crooked Booty posted:

READ THIS DISCLAIMER OR YOUR PET MIGHT DIE: If your veterinarian has recommended a prescription diet in order to manage a medical condition, do what your vet says!
This means foods like Hill's C/D, K/D, S/D, anything/D; Royal Canin SO, LP, MP, HF, DS, etc.; Purina NF, UR, DM, etc.; or any other diet prescribed to manage things like bladder stones/crystals, kidney disease, diabetes, etc. These diets are scientifically tested and proven to help manage the condition your pet is suffering from, and the foods recommended in these posts will almost certainly do harm to your pet. See the FAQ for more info on prescription diets.

I believe we have a vet thread and you may want to ask there. The advice I've always gotten is to take food prescriptions seriously, and I would be very reluctant to sub it out for a cheaper food. My two morons are on Royal Canin SO (only one needs it, but the vet signed off on them both having it) and it's expensive but cheaper from Chewy than the vet. It was only a little bit more expensive than the fancy foods I was buying them before. Being inconsistent with the food led to another ER trip, so it's prescription for life for them now.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

turd in my singlet posted:

It could even get worse and require insulin injections. Curbing the progression now via diet is going to be favorable. Good chance the diabetes developed due to her previous diet.

As for keeping the cost down, make sure you're only feeding the amount she really needs in daily calories maybe split into 2 or 3 meals a day. Diabetic cats tend to really over eat if given the chance. No free feeding.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I bought a Feliway multicat and plugged it into an outlet I know is working - is there anything else to know? There’s no indicator that lights up to let us know it’s on and I know it can take a week or more for results, so is it just sorta plug in and hope?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Frog Act posted:

So I bought a Feliway multicat and plugged it into an outlet I know is working - is there anything else to know? There’s no indicator that lights up to let us know it’s on and I know it can take a week or more for results, so is it just sorta plug in and hope?

yup. It'll get warm after a while and that's pretty much it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Frog Act posted:

Pretty much. Now you get to analyze all your cats' actions and vainly try to figure out if it's had any effect or if you've wasted your money.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm doing a trial introduction of my 2 foster kittens to my resident rear end in a top hat. He's mostly been OK so far with them but he's doing a little chasing of them around the room and swatting at them. It doesn't look like anyone is getting hurt though. How do I know when it's time to separate them again? Any warning signs i should look for?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I'm doing a trial introduction of my 2 foster kittens to my resident rear end in a top hat. He's mostly been OK so far with them but he's doing a little chasing of them around the room and swatting at them. It doesn't look like anyone is getting hurt though. How do I know when it's time to separate them again? Any warning signs i should look for?

If anyone is actually getting hurt, or you see your adult cat go into "I'm going to kill you" mode instead of "I need to teach you this is my territory" mode. Some chasing and swatting is ok, most cats will understand a kitten is not much threat to them, but will feel the need to assert dominance until they accept them as a member of the household. If it gets worse... You'll hear it, trust me.

Some hissing is normal. Growling can be too, both should mostly stop with time. The adult cat might even mount + hump the kittens, regardless of gender or being fixed, which might seem cruel, but it's not uncommon. Now screaming (as they fight)... That's bad, and THEN you should step in. Otherwise it's best to let them hash it out without your interference.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 13, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If anyone is actually getting hurt, or you see your adult cat go into "I'm going to kill you" mode instead of "I need to teach you this is my territory" mode. Some chasing and swatting is ok, most cats will understand a kitten is not much threat to them, but will feel the need to assert dominance until they accept them as a member of the household. If it gets worse... You'll hear it, trust me.

Some hissing is normal. Growling can be too, both should mostly stop with time. The adult cat might even mount + hump the kittens, regardless of gender or being fixed, which might seem cruel, but it's not uncommon. Now screaming (as they fight)... That's bad, and THEN you should step in. Otherwise it's best to let them hash it out without your interference.

Yeah i haven't seen much even hissing or growling. He's alternating between smelling their butts and swatting at them.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

A relatively even balance of who is instigating a fight is also what you want to see.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Now he's just watching them and owning them because he can get up to the counter and they can't....

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
If he isn't straight up getting into a full blown cat fight rolling around breaking your poo poo tossing clumps of fur everywhere and screaming horrifically then it should be fine.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Anything good or bad to say about Nulo food? The kittens are 6 months now and they stopped liking the cans of instinct kitten food. The Nulo is slightly lower protein/fat and also fewer calories per can but they seem to really like it so hopefully thats all that matters with this food.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

Now he's just watching them and owning them because he can get up to the counter and they can't....

This is good because one of the things that often leads to fights between kittens and older cats is that the older cat runs out of energy/patience/both and doesn't want to be harassed any longer, which the kittens don't understand, and they keep it up until older cat lashes out. That he's got a place where he can not only get away from them, but also observe them from on high, will do wonders for him putting up with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sydin posted:

This is good because one of the things that often leads to fights between kittens and older cats is that the older cat runs out of energy/patience/both and doesn't want to be harassed any longer, which the kittens don't understand, and they keep it up until older cat lashes out. That he's got a place where he can not only get away from them, but also observe them from on high, will do wonders for him putting up with them.

We're doing very good today. Much less even chasing and swatting going on and he's just doing his typical fatass lazy cat stuff and mostly ignoring them. This is all just in time for them both getting adopted on thursday haha.