Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Just jumped in on this, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I tried to but it's expired.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

pun pundit posted:

I tried to but it's expired.

Same, I mostly lurk CA, but I'd much rather use Discord than Slack in any situation.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Haha I made a permanent link and then used one someone else gave me

https://discord.gg/9EKgBnv

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I finally got my bike shipped to me (it’s been years as I lived in LA and had no garage) and it’s is a trip being back on a jockey shift bike.

I took it out for an hour after work every day these past few days and my hips hurt like I did 100 squats. I’m gripping too hard from being a bit tense in the saddle I guess.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Sadly I have the opposite. My right wrist starts hurting after a while and then I realize I haven’t really been gripping the bike enough :sigh:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I rode an RC51 today. It had fueling issues, though, so I didn’t really get to experience the bike. I actually ran out of fuel after 35 miles and I had to push it a couple hundred feet along the road to a gas station. It’s a heavy bike. There was a few times where it got the ratios right and the bike just exploded like a two stroke and I thought wow I don’t like this bike. Too bad. We disconnected the power commander autotune and then it perked right up, but the ride was kind of over at that point. :smith:

The front brake felt kind of spongy. The rear brake lever was way to high and I couldn’t even reach it. The front had plenty of stopping power for what I was doing, but I was surprised by how soft they were. They probably need to be bled. I would expect a lot more initial bite on a bike like that.

The riding position was fairly comfortable. Much better than I was expecting, but I didn’t even ride for an hour. It’s sooo much easier to squeeze the tank than on my bike. I’m actually going to reevaluate my posture when I get back home. The suspension was also comfortable. I don’t think I hit any big bumps but it never felt overly firm or harsh.

I was struck by how heavy the bike felt. At low speed it felt like it wanted to fall over and at higher speeds it took way more effort to steer. My bike is 313lbs, has wide handle bars, and a 150 rear tire. This bike is nearly 500lbs with clip-ons and 190 at the rear.

It sounds good.

I also rode a Ducati 1098, but I only rode that on the freeway. It had no fueling issues and it definitely the fastest, most powerful thing I’ve ever rode/driven. It also felt substantially lighter and more maneuverable than the RC51, but according to the internet it’s only 50lbs lighter. Maybe that is enough to make a big difference?

It also had fairly compliant suspension. The tank crushed my nuts, so maybe I was sitting too far forward. I was also expecting the clutch to be kind of snappy and brutal but it was fine. Maybe I was doing it wrong. The clutch housing was definitely hot when my leg pressed against it at a stop. I don’t recall my leg ever touching the housing on my bike, so I don’t know how hot should seem normal.

The brakes were definitely sharper than the RC51 as well. The foot controls felt better placed, but that Honda’s brake lever is probably not where it should be, for some reason.

Anyway it was a nice experience overall. I might be here a little longer so maybe I’ll get to try the RC51 again. Either way, I am looking forward to getting back home and riding my CB300R :shobon:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

We disconnected the power commander autotune and then it perked right up, but the ride was kind of over at that point. :smith:

The front brake felt kind of spongy. The rear brake lever was way to high and I couldn’t even reach it.

Sounds like a bad owner, not a bad bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ola posted:

Sounds like a bad owner, not a bad bike.

Yeah this.

They're big and heavy because they're basically still a 90's bike built before ultra thin castings and other stuff that make modern bikes significantly lighter and smaller were available. The 1098 is a good comparison because it's on the other side of that threshold, there's a perceptible jump in capability rather than the usual gradual improvements.

Also worth remembering that tyres have improved immensely over the past two decades, the more grip you have the less stability you need so older bikes tend to be more slow steering and stability biased while newer stuff is more zippy and agile.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Toe Rag posted:

I rode an RC51 today. It had fueling issues, though, so I didn’t really get to experience the bike. I actually ran out of fuel after 35 miles and I had to push it a couple hundred feet along the road to a gas station. It’s a heavy bike. There was a few times where it got the ratios right and the bike just exploded like a two stroke and I thought wow I don’t like this bike. Too bad. We disconnected the power commander autotune and then it perked right up, but the ride was kind of over at that point. :smith:

The front brake felt kind of spongy. The rear brake lever was way to high and I couldn’t even reach it. The front had plenty of stopping power for what I was doing, but I was surprised by how soft they were. They probably need to be bled. I would expect a lot more initial bite on a bike like that.

The riding position was fairly comfortable. Much better than I was expecting, but I didn’t even ride for an hour. It’s sooo much easier to squeeze the tank than on my bike. I’m actually going to reevaluate my posture when I get back home. The suspension was also comfortable. I don’t think I hit any big bumps but it never felt overly firm or harsh.

I was struck by how heavy the bike felt. At low speed it felt like it wanted to fall over and at higher speeds it took way more effort to steer. My bike is 313lbs, has wide handle bars, and a 150 rear tire. This bike is nearly 500lbs with clip-ons and 190 at the rear.

It sounds good.

I also rode a Ducati 1098, but I only rode that on the freeway. It had no fueling issues and it definitely the fastest, most powerful thing I’ve ever rode/driven. It also felt substantially lighter and more maneuverable than the RC51, but according to the internet it’s only 50lbs lighter. Maybe that is enough to make a big difference?

It also had fairly compliant suspension. The tank crushed my nuts, so maybe I was sitting too far forward. I was also expecting the clutch to be kind of snappy and brutal but it was fine. Maybe I was doing it wrong. The clutch housing was definitely hot when my leg pressed against it at a stop. I don’t recall my leg ever touching the housing on my bike, so I don’t know how hot should seem normal.

The brakes were definitely sharper than the RC51 as well. The foot controls felt better placed, but that Honda’s brake lever is probably not where it should be, for some reason.

Anyway it was a nice experience overall. I might be here a little longer so maybe I’ll get to try the RC51 again. Either way, I am looking forward to getting back home and riding my CB300R :shobon:

50lbs is actually a lot yeah but I'm gonna go with Slavvy and Ola 100%.
I'm willing to bet the brakes needed maintenance, the tires needed some air, and the suspension was probably in need of some love as well.
The RC51 is an amazing bike.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Oh for sure. I wasn’t trying to say the RC51 is bad, just my experience was botched. Both bikes are owned by my brother. He’s selling the RC51 actually. I guess he has neglected it some. I would probably get the bike into better running condition before selling it, or letting someone ride it, but we have very different personalities.

I’m a beginner and those are the only street bikes I’ve been able to ride besides my bike and my MFS bike. I took it pretty easy because both bikes are a huge step up in power from mine. It was about 20 miles in I started to realize something was wrong, when I started getting that 2-stroke-esque power delivery.

It was to ride something else. My bike is definitely more fun for me because it’s much more aligned with my skill level, but that Ducati’s acceleration was wild.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

fast bikes rule

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

fast bikes rule

No such thing, only fast riders.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I dropped the bike today. :(

Literally, dropped. After riding for an hour or so in this torrential downpour, I came to a stop outside my apartment and I guess I didn't fully engage the kickstand, because she went down as I hopped off. Cracked the faux carbon fiber body panel. A day after I renewed my insurance policy. I feel really loving stupid.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Everyone's done it, you're not stupid.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
If it makes you feel any better, I once dropped someone else's bike because the kickstand didn't fully engage.

poo poo happens.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Literally the only bike I’ve done that on was my brand new GSXR. poo poo happens, usually on the bike you least want it to happen on lol

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've done it so many times. Heck, I have had people do it to my bikes so many times. It's ok.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I dropped my first bike

- getting it out of the van that I used to bring it home
- on the first ride down the street after getting it running
- in front of the inspection station after getting it registered, by kick-starting it in gear

poo poo happen

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks for sharing guys, I feel much less stupid now. :) Hopefully the part isn't too expensive to replace, it's just a piece of black plastic.

First time I went down with my EX250 was coming to a stop over a patch of wet leaves. I don't think I ever actually hit the ground, just came off the bike at like, a jogging pace and came to a stop. That bike and my old GSX-R400SP also went down in soft ground at my old work a couple of times, before I borrowed a piece of 2x4 to put underneath the stand.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I dropped my first (adult) bike three times, and haven’t dropped any other bikes since.

• sharp turn on a heavily tilted mountain road, focused on the gravel and not the fact that the road was at 10°
  • parked on a tilted road and was too busy fending off kids and didn’t pay attention to the bikes angle / high kickstand
  • trying to see if I could do a running bumpstart (???)

1/3 stupidity, 1/3 bad kickstand design, 1/3 newbie mistake. That’s why we don’t suggest nice bikes to newbies I guess.

Edit: 0mph drop damage is usually cheap to fix. My 250 had parts costing in the $10-20 range but that was a really cheap bike. But even my Zero was cheaper than I thought to get like new after lowsiding it. Here’s hoping you’ll have the same experience.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 11, 2020

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Mister Speaker posted:

I dropped the bike today. :(

Literally, dropped. After riding for an hour or so in this torrential downpour, I came to a stop outside my apartment and I guess I didn't fully engage the kickstand, because she went down as I hopped off. Cracked the faux carbon fiber body panel. A day after I renewed my insurance policy. I feel really loving stupid.

Welcome to your future of triple kicking the kickstand forward every time you park.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep, it goes right into your repertoire along with constantly checking for a 7th gear and cancelling your turn signals every 30 seconds

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

pun pundit posted:

Welcome to your future of triple kicking the kickstand forward every time you park.

I do the japanese train driver thing and literally point at my kickstand before I get off the bike.

I also point at my where my keys and phone would be if I had forgotten them on the bike when I’m leaving the garage.

It sounds stupid but I caught the kickstand at least twice and my keys multiple times.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Martytoof posted:

the japanese train driver thing

What's this? They run through a checklist, and physically point at the objects on the list?

(If so... I like it.)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etUejYb48BE

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I just drop every bike I get immediately 5-6 times so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Save the effort, have the PO do it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I dropped a bike at the end of a long exhausting frigid slab ride in front of my apartment. Apparently the bolt had rattled out of the kickstand entirely but the spring held it in place. It just kept going when I set it down and I went with it. When I got it upright all I could think to do was sit on it till someone came along and saw me so I could ask them if they could go get me a bolt to put in it temporarily.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I went through 3 sets of fairings dropping my bike, then gave up and embraced the post-apocalypse aesthetic. That was in 2019 and it was a decision full of wisdom and foresight. Now I have a mohawk.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I dropped my GS500 by leaving it on the centerstand in my parents' driveway which was on a bald hilltop and the wind blew it over

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FBS posted:

I dropped my GS500 by leaving it on the centerstand in my parents' driveway which was on a bald hilltop and the wind blew it over
Oh yeah, this several times, but a sloped parking lot. Love tornado alley.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The shittiest drop I ever had was at 0 miles per hour. My MV Agusta F4S was in the shop for maintenance and some idiot customer sat on my bike as it was waiting for pick up then tried to set it back on it's stand. That year MV F4S all had the automatically popping up side stand. So when he went to place it back on the stand he dropped it since the stand wasn't down any more. He ended up having to pay to replace my fairings.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yuns posted:

The shittiest drop I ever had was at 0 miles per hour. My MV Agusta F4S was in the shop for maintenance and some idiot customer sat on my bike as it was waiting for pick up then tried to set it back on it's stand. That year MV F4S all had the automatically popping up side stand. So when he went to place it back on the stand he dropped it since the stand wasn't down any more. He ended up having to pay to replace my fairings.

Why does anyone ever do this aaarrgh.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

An auto retracting stand is basically the dumbest design feature you could ever come up with for exactly the reasons outlined. There are so many times a bike comes off the stand where the next step is not “ride away” that I’m almost suspecting they did it to drive replacement fairing sales.

Did they combine it with mounting the stand right to the engine case for the one two punch of Italian engineering hubris?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Get tall adv/dualsports that are too intimidatingly horse-sized for the public to try sitting on

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Shelvocke posted:

Get tall adv/dualsports that are too intimidatingly horse-sized for the public to try sitting on

It also doubles as a theft deterrent. Nobody is gonna bother with a 500lb bike with nearly 40" of seat height when there's a sportbike next to it.

Seriously though. what the gently caress is wrong with the person that thinks it's ok to sit on random peoples' bikes.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

cursedshitbox posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with the person that thinks it's ok to sit on random peoples' bikes.

Ohhh yeah, we're on this now. I am SO GLAD that my current bike came with an alarm, it has not only helped assuage my anxiety about it being stolen but I've had some fun (and one or two not-so-fun times) with it.

Last year, couldn't have been more than a week after I had started riding, I parked outside a bar to meet a friend. Within ten minutes something starts vibrating in my pocket and I thought that's not my phone, wrong side... OH poo poo. Some stupid drunk girl wanted to take a picture on it "for the 'gram." I felt like kind of a dick for how I handled it, I just stuck a finger in her face and said "don't ever touch that bike again." If you see me carrying the helmet and actually ask, I'm probably going to say yeah, sure. But for gently caress's sake, I don't go around opening the driver-side door and sitting in your loving Prius, do I?

I work at a pretty bumping bar and I tend to park the bike right out front - even though it's like four blocks from my apartment, I like the security of seeing it out there and often I go for a late-night rip down the DVP after work. So far nobody has tried to sit on it, but MANY drunk people have put their hands on it or gotten dangerously close. I always light up the alarm from the keyfob when I see this happening, the reactions are great.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mister Speaker posted:

Ohhh yeah, we're on this now. I am SO GLAD that my current bike came with an alarm, it has not only helped assuage my anxiety about it being stolen but I've had some fun (and one or two not-so-fun times) with it.

Last year, couldn't have been more than a week after I had started riding, I parked outside a bar to meet a friend. Within ten minutes something starts vibrating in my pocket and I thought that's not my phone, wrong side... OH poo poo. Some stupid drunk girl wanted to take a picture on it "for the 'gram." I felt like kind of a dick for how I handled it, I just stuck a finger in her face and said "don't ever touch that bike again." If you see me carrying the helmet and actually ask, I'm probably going to say yeah, sure. But for gently caress's sake, I don't go around opening the driver-side door and sitting in your loving Prius, do I?

I work at a pretty bumping bar and I tend to park the bike right out front - even though it's like four blocks from my apartment, I like the security of seeing it out there and often I go for a late-night rip down the DVP after work. So far nobody has tried to sit on it, but MANY drunk people have put their hands on it or gotten dangerously close. I always light up the alarm from the keyfob when I see this happening, the reactions are great.

what's wrong with driving a prius bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I can’t find dirt cheap stock dog bones for my KLR, so it’s getting raising links. About an inch or more in the back from stock. An excellent deterrent to sitting on my bike.

That and 99% of the civilized world thinking it’s gently caress-ugly.