Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Just keep it as Lady Antebellum and claim you meant it to refer to the blissful time before the extremely racist War on Drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Drunk Nerds posted:

Just keep it as Lady Antebellum and claim you meant it to refer to the blissful time before the extremely racist War on Drugs.

Maybe they can pivot into being hardcore racists agitating for a race war?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Emily Spinach posted:

I think you mean "If I Die Young" which is by the Band Perry, which is named for its members and not, as far as I know, anything to do with slavery, except in the sense that they're white folks from Mississippi.

The person who listened to way too much country radio around a decade ago has logged on.

To be fair, this matches pretty well with Lady Antebellum being a bunch of has-beens no one cares about.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Drunk Nerds posted:

Just keep it as Lady Antebellum and claim you meant it to refer to the blissful time before the extremely racist War on Drugs. Finno–Korean Hyperwar.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Piss Meridian posted:

Maybe they can pivot into being hardcore racists agitating for a race war?

pivot?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

There's a New Zealand band named Shihad that changed their name briefly between 2001 and 2004 to Pacifier, because they got their name from the Dune movie where they misheard the word "jihad". Then they realised they were pandering to American nationalism and changed it back.

This may not be true but I heard the punk band Frenzal Rhomb changed their name to Shihad to take the piss after Shihad changed their name. Funny anyway and seems like something they would do

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I think it's been a bit longer than that, Your Papacy.

No, because 100 years ago we were controlled by the British Empire, the priest infestation was a fun bonus on top of that. Unfortunately our first head of state after independence basically handed the country over to the church :(

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Memento posted:

There's a New Zealand band named Shihad that changed their name briefly between 2001 and 2004 to Pacifier, because they got their name from the Dune movie where they misheard the word "jihad". Then they realised they were pandering to American nationalism and changed it back.

The Irish band Lankum went by the name of Lynched up until 2016 (after founders Ian and Daragh Lynch)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/iskandrah/status/1281328078443208706

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Twitch pulls Black Lives Matter video criticised for being overwhelmingly white

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Bloop posted:

Lady A is a stupid non-change for them anyway because it's still implying the word, like you still think the word, so they're still saying it

As if someone made their username Nstompter88 or whatever, yeah that's still the thing
This is making me imagine how hard it must be to find a unique, useful Gmail if your name is Nathan S Tomper, born in 1988.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

The Bloop posted:

Lady A is a stupid non-change for them anyway because it's still implying the word, like you still think the word, so they're still saying it

As if someone made their username Nstompter88 or whatever, yeah that's still the thing

Like their dipshit heritage, they just can't take the L.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

christmas boots posted:

The Irish band Lankum went by the name of Lynched up until 2016 (after founders Ian and Daragh Lynch)

George Lynch still has a band called Lynch Mob, which is in pretty terrible taste.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Conversely, Da Lench Mob was really pretty good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
BRB starting a band called the Lunch Mob.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Phanatic posted:

No, they approached her to say “we’ve changed our name to name you perform under, we hope we can come to some arrangement,” and she said “sure, pay me $10 million” and they said no and are taking her to court to ask a judge to rule that they don’t have to pay her anything. She never sued them, she just asked to be paid.

Willing to sell them my name for the bargain price of $1.5million and full rights to my mediocre posting history.

Hit me up, Lady Antebellum.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I am selling my slightly less desirable name for only $420,000

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Phlegmish posted:

I am selling my slightly less desirable name for only $420,000

I am selling this guys name for only $500,000

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
lol if you don't just sell enrique's name

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

sweeperbravo posted:

lol if you don't just sell enrique's name
Where do you think Enrique Iglesias got his name?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1281306805306642432?s=19

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
"Heat stroke likely" indeed :allears:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Cleretic posted:

The Dixie Chicks could lose the 'Dixie' from their name and still do fine, because 'The Chicks' isn't a world away from where they started and some people probably called them that anyway. But the only noteworthy part of the name 'Lady Antebellum' is the word they're trying to distance themselves from.
Speaking of that...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chicks

(Uness you meant "could" as in that's why they could, and that was your point, in which case never mind.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

The whole thing is a no-win situation for name recognition vs. name not-being-awful, because the only way to completely excise the word 'antebellum' from it is to basically change the whole name, which would lose them any name recognition because it's the only distinguishing part of the name.

The Dixie Chicks could lose the 'Dixie' from their name and still do fine, because 'The Chicks' isn't a world away from where they started and some people probably called them that anyway. But the only noteworthy part of the name 'Lady Antebellum' is the word they're trying to distance themselves from.

Lady Annabelle

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Blood Nightmaster posted:

"Heat stroke likely" indeed :allears:

It's so good. It didn't need the hand or the bulb at the bottom of the thermometer at all, but they put them there, and bless them for doing so.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Like their dipshit heritage, they just can't take the L.

You mean they should be Ady Antebeum?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Lady Anatolia

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lady Babybel, Yum!

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Lady Antikythera Mechanism
or
Lady Antlion

Sir Lemming posted:

You mean they should be Ady Antebeum?

Actually nvm I vote for this

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

:hmmyes:

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
Lady Slavery-Was-Great

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Lady State's-Rights

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There's a Geico commercial with Marco Polo, but instead of a camel, there's a llama.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

They should do a 180 and become Mister Carpetbagger.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

There's a Geico commercial with Marco Polo, but instead of a camel, there's a llama.

Llama Mia!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Band names apparently operate on almost exactly the same principle as internet usernames.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Band names apparently operate on almost exactly the same principle as internet usernames.

So as Lady A is taken, they should go with xox_Lady_A_xox?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

@realLady A

winterwerefox has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Jul 11, 2020

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

SiKboy posted:

So as Lady A is taken, they should go with xox_Lady_A_xox?

Lady_A_420_69 or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Lady Antibellend