Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
With Action Boyz the actual recap and discussion of the movie\film in general is just part of the show. What you're really listening for is them doing extended bits based on the characters/actors, and sharing great personal stories.

If you're looking for insight, they've got that, too. Like Gabrus' take on a B-plot in The Glimmer Man that is so wild and out-of-nowhere, I'm not going to spoil it here. That's a must-hear moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I won't get those damned Action Boyz a red cent until they put out a redo of the Last Starfighter episode where they admit it is real swell.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I should get on Action Boyz. I'm a huge Gabrus fan, but I hate the idea of a bunch of dudes dicking around about movies with no real insight. But I should suck it up and just subscribe, despite not loving the one random episode I heard early on. I start at the beginning, presumably?

It's pretty insightful, albeit in a casual way.

They're all writers and actors, so they regularly discuss performances, the story structures, the characters, the films productions, and everything the films get right or wrong. They are very well-read, and each of them are obsessed with Hollywood history vs modern Hollywood, which is a constant thread of discussion with the films. They do a lot of research because they genuinely love the films, the personalities of the actors, and how they were made. They are still active in the Hollywood system so you get to hear what it's like to be an actor right now, while comparing what they know about what acting used to be like. They also are, in a way, the best critics, because they are able to watch the movie critically, but still genuinely enjoy and love the films they watch. Also, Ben Rodgers is the one who curates the movies, and he has excellent taste.

While the format of the show is a beat-for-beat discussion of the film, their willingness to get sidetracked for long tangents is always hilarious and interesting. They're never self-serious, either. So while you're getting all the above mentioned discussions and insights, it's still casual and entertaining.

So it's both. It's dudes dicking around about movies, but its insightful dicking without being pretentious or bogging things down. And the humor is so good, me and several friends now regularly reference bits from the show. Plus, it's made me watch dozens of movies I wouldn't have considered watching, and I found a few I love a lot.

Shadow Wolves episodes especially rule, cuz you'll go from hearing a crazy hosed story about Gabrus and Rodgers to getting some Criterion recommendations to some exercise tips to a recommendation on a book about CIA investigations to a bit about Rannazzisi being a hero to them insulting fans for their ridiculous questions.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

So it's both. It's dudes dicking around about movies, but its insightful dicking without being pretentious or bogging things down. And the humor is so good, me and several friends now regularly reference bits from the show. Plus, it's made me watch dozens of movies I wouldn't have considered watching, and I found a few I love a lot.
This is a great point. As a kid, I kinda hated Cannon movies...but now I'm obsessed.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Stitcher has done so many 12 month subscription promos that there's no way they'll be able to see how effective this retention campaign is for at least 12 months, and by then people will have forgotten they got an email in July to resubscribe.

Instead, listenership will just drop off for the people who refuse to use their app. Incompetence is frustrating.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Since we are on the ActionBoyz kick this is tonight https://www.cya.live/event/2132 .

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice

Mollymauk posted:

Since we are on the ActionBoyz kick this is tonight https://www.cya.live/event/2132 .

They posted a code for a free ticket in the boyz patreon.

We had a baby 5 weeks ago and between that and quarantine Action Boyz is keeping me sane. I love it. If only my wife had let me name him Grogan.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

DirtyCheeseburgers posted:

They posted a code for a free ticket in the boyz patreon.

We had a baby 5 weeks ago and between that and quarantine Action Boyz is keeping me sane. I love it. If only my wife had let me name him Grogan.

Hey congrats!!!!! Stay strong.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

My Stitcher Bad story is that I bought a 12 month sub, which I was charged for and got access as you would expect, then they kept charging me the monthly fee until I noticed and complained.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I only subscribe to Action Boyz to find out if they will ever kiss Stanger.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I think sometimes they are too hard on Stanger. I'm not mad, but I really do think they should kiss Stanger on the lips to make up for it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
We’re thinking about bringing back Gabe Walker. Cliffhanger 2...who knows?

And yes action boyz is a circle jerk but they do bring insight as others have said. They’ll read hollywood biographies and have a legitimate love of the insane cannon movie craft. No podcast since the early days of Death Ray/BangBang has brought me as much joy and laughter. I throw on old episodes all the time when I’m doing random housework or cleaning or whatever.

And it’s insane to say, but if you sub it’s important to start at the beginning. There are so many sub layers of meta/inside jokes.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

soggybagel posted:

And it’s insane to say, but if you sub it’s important to start at the beginning. There are so many sub layers of meta/inside jokes.

I started by listening to all the free episodes on the High and Mighty feed and got pretty confused when StangerBot suddenly became a thing.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

DirtyCheeseburgers posted:

If only my wife had let me name him Grogan.
Right here, in the solar plex. (congrats!)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

soggybagel posted:

Agreed. I can't imagine listening to any episode having not first heard the episode for Best of the Best. They reference Sudden Death a lot, too.

Look! You squirted 'er!

edit: Does everyone watch the movie before listening to the episode? Or are you one of those weird sick fucks that somehow don't ever watch the movies? Cuz that's creepy.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 10, 2020

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I legitimately try to watch the movie beforehand unless it’s one I’ve seen a billion times like starship troopers. I watched the hitman for the first time ever before they did it and I got so excited to hear what they’d talk about.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Agreed. I can't imagine listening to any episode having not first heard the episode for Best of the Best. They reference Sudden Death a lot, too.

Look! You squirted 'er!

edit: Does everyone watch the movie before listening to the episode? Or are you one of those weird sick fucks that somehow don't ever watch the movies? Cuz that's creepy.

every once in awhile i won't have time to watch it the weekend before but still feel like i have to listen on monday and it's never nearly as satisfying. that happened with rapid fire and the episode was so funny that i immediately watched it that night then relistened to the episode on tuesday because i have a sickness of the brain

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

isnt that right posted:

every once in awhile i won't have time to watch it the weekend before but still feel like i have to listen on monday and it's never nearly as satisfying. that happened with rapid fire and the episode was so funny that i immediately watched it that night then relistened to the episode on tuesday because i have a sickness of the brain

hahah I did the exact same thing with American Ninja. Listened to the ep, thought "what even IS this movie?". Watched the movie that night, they were 100% right on how bonkers it was, then I re-listened the next day.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I usually only watch the movie if it's on a streaming service I'm already subscribed to; I'll only go out of my way to watch it if it's one that I've always been interested in, but have never seen (Which I've had to do a lot with some of the more recent picks.) I haven't listened to the Scarface or Last Action Hero episodes yet because I want to watch them both beforehand - Never seen Scarface, only saw LAH in bits and pieces on TV when I was younger; I always liked what I saw, but want to see if it works for me now and as a whole.

I did make a point of watching The Hitman after hearing the episode, partially because I couldn't understand how a Chuck Norris movie could have that convoluted of a plot, and partially because I wanted to see that kid get blown up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

I usually only watch the movie if it's on a streaming service I'm already subscribed to; I'll only go out of my way to watch it if it's one that I've always been interested in, but have never seen (Which I've had to do a lot with some of the more recent picks.) I haven't listened to the Scarface or Last Action Hero episodes yet because I want to watch them both beforehand - Never seen Scarface, only saw LAH in bits and pieces on TV when I was younger; I always liked what I saw, but want to see if it works for me now and as a whole.

I did make a point of watching The Hitman after hearing the episode, partially because I couldn't understand how a Chuck Norris movie could have that convoluted of a plot, and partially because I wanted to see that kid get blown up.

A shadow wolf without a Starz account? What even is this?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
They’re running out of movies...and I’m a movie buff

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

soggybagel posted:

They’re running out of movies...and I’m a movie buff

They should do an episode on Predator.

...Oh they've done Predator?

Listening now. Ha. Ha. Thanks.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Finger my gilslits

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Your gorilla soaked the seat! She squirted!

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

How's Creampie?

Creampie's just fine, honey.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Double Threat with Tom and Julie is some strong competition with HH for funniest poo poo ever

But the ads are just ads, so the boys win

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 13, 2020

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Hey

You guys like big butts on your face?

The Peccadillo posted:

Double Threat with Tom and Julie is some strong competition with HH for funniest poo poo ever

"Hayes Davenport's gonna give you the ol' Harvard Handshake."

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 14, 2020

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

https://twitter.com/itsjonmackey/status/1282397796931235840?s=20

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

haha what the hell is going on in this Hollywood Handbook ep, I cannot tell if this is a bit

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fellatio del Toro posted:

haha what the hell is going on in this Hollywood Handbook ep, I cannot tell if this is a bit

Do you think Kenny the jet Smith would be in on their bit

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
R U Talking RHCP Re: Me? abandoned the premise within 4 minutes of the latest episode to change it to a Talking Heads podcast.

edit: They say at the end of the episode they're going to stick with Talking Heads because it's just more fun.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 15, 2020

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

R U Talking RHCP Re: Me? abandoned the premise within 4 minutes of the latest episode to change it to a Talking Heads podcast.

edit: They say at the end of the episode they're going to stick with Talking Heads because it's just more fun.

I hope this is a bit. Talking Heads is an incredible band but there’s just nowhere near as much stuff to talk about. They’re still like 6 years away from RHCP becoming famous! RHCP’s silly Blood Sugar Sex Magik documentary “Funky Monks” alone could’ve made for a classic ep.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WerthersWay posted:

I hope this is a bit. Talking Heads is an incredible band but there’s just nowhere near as much stuff to talk about. They’re still like 6 years away from RHCP becoming famous! RHCP’s silly Blood Sugar Sex Magik documentary “Funky Monks” alone could’ve made for a classic ep.

Well, they did a full dive into '77, and said they are going to research, relisten and prepare for More Songs About Buildings and Food, so

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I like Talking Heads way more than RHCP but I'm still bummed. The general shittiness of so much of RHCP's music was half of why I found it so exciting.

That said, them spontaneously changing the subject of the podcast is one of the funniest things that's happened on that show in recent memory. I can't argue with it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Seaniqua posted:

I like Talking Heads way more than RHCP but I'm still bummed. The general shittiness of so much of RHCP's music was half of why I found it so exciting.

That said, them spontaneously changing the subject of the podcast is one of the funniest things that's happened on that show in recent memory. I can't argue with it.

the real question is will they continue to introduce the show as RHCP and then announce after that introduction that this is another episode of You Talking Talking Heads to My Talking Head?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Seaniqua posted:

Same,

and also same.

I love Talking Heads and have no feelings about RHCP, I enjoyed one episode with their bits geared towards Talking Heads, but at the same time I would rather just listen to those excellent albums by themselves. I want to hear the Scotts tortured by unlistenable garbage that slowly morphs in to a Rick Rubin fuelled mainstream rocketship.

Hopefully they'll do some weird thing where they switch between the two bands in a confusing and incredibly stupid way.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Seaniqua posted:

I think the issue was that listening to the first two albums, they're going through it and just thinking all together "this album chaff is much, much worse than I remember" and it would have been much easier to do a one-off episode on like a 2-disc greatest hits

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm happy just because 'RHCP re:me' wasn't a very creative podcast title.

And there's loads to talk about with the two movies, the side projects...
The Scotts will probably make some weird statements about "African rhythms" or something, so I think they fit well.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
would be cool if they eventually talk about “here lies love” but i doubt they will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
it's better if they really respect and admire the band because the dynamic of them being so silly about something that they care about makes the show both funnier and more affecting.