Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

This 100% made my day, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

This 100% made my day, thank you

Right? It's just so hypnotic and beautiful. And when you read about where they come from and how they came about it just gets better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konono_N%C2%BA1

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mic a kalimba with a piezo as well as a room mic and process it with heavy delay and it sounds awesome.

What's a Piezo?

also I've been loving around with my new kalimba and I love it. I tried reading that weird....Guitar hero shaped way of showing how to play a song and that for some reason confuses the poo poo out of me

I got a few songbooks that just have it with tabs that match the words and then use bars like |3 or 6| to show exactly which key to press and it's a thousand times easier to get, like holy poo poo.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's a Piezo?

it's a contact microphone, which senses vibration directly from the instrument instead of through the air. there are high end ones for pianos and such but you can also get cheap ones for like $3 each.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I recently got a Kalimba and one of the things I read about it was to use guitar oil or violin oil on the wood to make sure it doesn't crack or warp. I looked around on amazon but I'm not sure which to get here, does anyone have any suggestions?

I have some similar oil I use on my handcrafted cutting board, would that be good enough or does it need to be more specialized?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I use butcher block oil on fretboards and necks. It's more or less just food grade mineral oil. No issues in over 10 years of use.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
Is there a thread for posting your own creations thats genre specific?

Like I'd want to see what you all think of some stuff I've made but wouldn't wanna subject a jazz fan or pophead to my atonal metal garbage

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Just post it.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but where is a good place to research soundproof booths? I really wanna learn accordion but I'm in an apartment with room mates and that's a recipe for defenestration. Is it even possible to get almost 100% soundproof with a budget of like $1000?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
sure, buy your roommates these headphones and spend the other 800 on cocaine or something

https://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-Protector-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B0723CYHPZ

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

tell your roommates to stop passively accepting stereotypes about accordion and just practice in the living room :smug:

honestly tho, you could split a room at a rehearsal studio. idk where you live, but in major cities there're tons of them, but sometimes you gotta find them by word of mouth. people are almost always looking to reduce the rent, so if you offered 50-100$/mo or something you could get on their google calendar and have pretty open practice time cuz they have to find a time that works for 3-10 people and you only have to worry about yourself

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Sarrisan posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but where is a good place to research soundproof booths? I really wanna learn accordion but I'm in an apartment with room mates and that's a recipe for defenestration. Is it even possible to get almost 100% soundproof with a budget of like $1000?

To answer your question literally, well, how much effort do you want to go to to save money? A company in Japan named 'Danbocchi' sells a booth like that designed for streamers etc. for about $700 US. However, as to the logistics of getting it to where you're at, getting it installed etc., you're probably on your own (and you'd need to speak Japanese I guess). And that's not mentioning the potential issues of basically installing another room in your room.

You've looked at the Roland digital accordions already? Maybe you could find one used for that price?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, since making that post it looks like I might be poo poo out of luck. Was clearly a bit optimistic. I guess I can look into DIY options over time, but a lot of those seem to require pretty "not easy to remove" materials which is meh being in an apartment. Ah, well.

free Trapt CD posted:

You've looked at the Roland digital accordions already? Maybe you could find one used for that price?

I actually hadn't... That's def something to consider. Thanks, folks.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Sarrisan posted:

Yeah, since making that post it looks like I might be poo poo out of luck. Was clearly a bit optimistic. I guess I can look into DIY options over time, but a lot of those seem to require pretty "not easy to remove" materials which is meh being in an apartment. Ah, well.

I actually hadn't... That's def something to consider. Thanks, folks.

You could also just practice in the closet if you've got one. It's not comfy or perfect, but it would certainly deaden the sound some.

Small comfort, but you could probably at least practice the right-hand stuff reliably with this new Accordion VST, which released recently. You might even be able to use your computer keyboard as a replacement for the chord buttons. Would take some setup and cleverness, but if you're up for a project...

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhx0yAL8U4w

Do you think these guys are working to a click track or do they just count that well?

I don't see earpieces.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhx0yAL8U4w

Do you think these guys are working to a click track or do they just count that well?

I don't see earpieces.

You’re right, no ear pieces. They’re not using a metronome. This is contemporary classical, which doesn’t use metronomes with the regularity pop/rock music does

Also there’s nothing rhythmic until 15:30, so there’s no reason to have a metronome. At that point it’s one person establishing a 16th note pulse, then one at a time they join. No need for a metronome for that since they don’t have to start at the same time at the same tempo

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I've gone through a bit of a musical growth spurt over the last few years and now I hate most of my music from before 2018. It's just incredibly hard to listen to now. I guess this is normal but now I'm wondering if I should come up with a new name to release music under since there are like 30 "Jay Tholen" albums/EPs floating around and I don't think they represent the quality of what I'm making now. One thing keeping me from doing this is that my game's OST did okay on streaming so I think I'd have more of a chance getting featured with my old name. Any thoughts on this? :D

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Release EPs featuring Jay Tholen remixes :v: Just don't delete your old drafts, I once wiped all my export folders from before I got relatively good in a fit of rage and have regretted it ever since. Hearing the way you progressed is fun

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Gaspy Conana posted:

I've gone through a bit of a musical growth spurt over the last few years and now I hate most of my music from before 2018. It's just incredibly hard to listen to now. I guess this is normal but now I'm wondering if I should come up with a new name to release music under since there are like 30 "Jay Tholen" albums/EPs floating around and I don't think they represent the quality of what I'm making now. One thing keeping me from doing this is that my game's OST did okay on streaming so I think I'd have more of a chance getting featured with my old name. Any thoughts on this? :D

A lot of artists release different stuff under project names (William Oldham the best example) so you could do it like that and release it under your bandcamp account/name since you're probably going to hate your music from 2020 in two years. So come up with a name for your klezmer/dixieland jazz project and abandon it when you've moved on to ska/electronica.

Bob Mould said he always looked for a project name because it's easier and was better for his ego to sell t-shirts with word "Sugar" on them than the "Bob Mould Experience Funkstravaganza"

You could also go the self denigration route and put out things in your liner notes like, "Warning! Not as good as Atomizer, so don't get your hopes up, cheese."

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

William Oldham

lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

:colbert:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gaspy Conana posted:

I've been putting out music under my own name for over twenty years now and I've definitely felt this. Ultimately I just sort of came to the point where I said "okay most of the artists I really love have some stuff that I'm not that crazy about, maybe I just need to give myself the leeway I give other artists". And occasionally you'll find that someone who is just sort of into your new thing gets WAY into your old thing that you're not that crazy about, which is both weird and kind of wonderful.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Trig Discipline posted:

I've been putting out music under my own name for over twenty years now and I've definitely felt this. Ultimately I just sort of came to the point where I said "okay most of the artists I really love have some stuff that I'm not that crazy about, maybe I just need to give myself the leeway I give other artists". And occasionally you'll find that someone who is just sort of into your new thing gets WAY into your old thing that you're not that crazy about, which is both weird and kind of wonderful.

Yes, especially on that last point... I made dumb music during and right after high school, and then when I started doing music for money or even putting myself out there more, I had a different name.

Part of me wants to go back to the old name and kind of 'take it back' with better music, and I might do that. Meanwhile, I have (a very small number of) people who somehow legitimacy enjoy the old stuff and I'm both flattered and :psyduck:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What's the jangly sleighbell-sounding thing you hear at the start of this song called, and how do I put that into drum notation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUdiq0ZHsjw

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Pretty sure that's a tambourine.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

yeah, it's a tambourine. tambourine isn't so common in notated music (compared to a drum set), but I commonly see it like this

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

lady's headbanging

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

What's the jangly sleighbell-sounding thing you hear at the start of this song called, and how do I put that into drum notation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUdiq0ZHsjw

Those are the shiny car keys that the producer uses to keep Jeff Mangum's attention on the recording session.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
what instrument am I hearing here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L78yVFeyvRo&t=31s

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

the human voice

also, i love the serendipity of the chicago live vid having the best audio and video of all the live versions

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 18, 2020

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I'm currently looking through the rest of this subforum to see if anything like this has already been asked but haven't found anything yet, so I figured this would be an appropriate place to ask. I'm starting to teach myself bluegrass and country guitar, and fell in love with the sound of clawhammer guitar. The problem is, I can find basically 5 youtube videos that teach the basic technique on guitar, one PDF from a music workshop detailing the basics, and a book on Amazon called "frailing the guitar" by Steve Baughman. Are there any other resources out there I can look into specifically for clawhammer guitar?

I'm not against buying a book or DVD or online course, but given Coronavirus and the fact that I'm located in Germany (a land not known for its abundance of bluegrass musicians) private lessons aren't really an option for me.

gmc9987 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 19, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If you haven't already and you want around-the-clock guitar support, there's the guitar megathread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3341553&pagenumber=1067&perpage=40) and also a discord for musicians (https://discord.gg/bRUeb32)

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 24, 2020

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Discord link ain't workin!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I swear to poo poo I set it for "don't expire" every time I share but they just break anyways.

https://discord.gg/bRUeb32

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

moana posted:

Hey, I'm looking for a goon-created mashup album that I think was posted back like ten years ago or something. All I remember is it was good running music and had a lot of old hip hop, let's see: "I Wish I was a little bit Taller", "All the Single Ladies," "War Pigs," "Y'All can't stop me now" "Get Ur Freak On," I don't know what else. Haven't been able to find it through search. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Girltalk?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh, neat, I remember when that was a new album

I'm gonna sit down

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that does sound like Girl Talk. Was he a goon? If so I had no idea.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

there was definitely a very girl talk-esque goon album like that, it was named "bad apollo i'm burning farts 4." it was by tanner4105 or something along those lines, and was a little weirder than girl talk. i mostly remember that it started with a sample from a pokemon song and also maybe avril lavigne, if that sounds like what you're looking for.

edit: was it this?

https://tanner4105.bandcamp.com/album/bad-apollo-im-burning-fart-iv-volume-two-no-butts-for-lmao

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 26, 2020

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I want to add a super cheap little subwoofer to my rokit 5 studio monitors, is there anything that would fit the bill that isn't the expensive rear end krk sub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm afraid I don't have an answer but I'm surprised at the question. My Rokit 5's are too bassy by a long shot. Have you tweaked the bass using the knobs on the back? Crank the HF level knob down and then just boost the volume?

e: Oh apparently the newer ones also have a bass boost knob as well.