Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Persian Funk
Jun 13, 2006

by Athanatos
Some sort of online presence for my 9th grade math teacher. I was super attracted to her as a 14 year old and I want to see if I was right or just a horned-up ball of hormones.

Edit: and maybe have a nostalgic wank

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Persian Funk fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

now you can enjoy a nostalgic detention bceause the mods like you about as much as your teacher did

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm looking for a video or a vine of this fat black guy rubbing money on himself saying it's hot. He also says he has "skraight hunneds baby"

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

A clip from bar rescue of Jon Taffer loudly yelling females. I don't want to try to find every episode just to figure out where it happened.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

An animated movie, probably from Japan, but definitely requiring subtitles from before early 2009. There were a pair of brothers, and I think they were orphans. They were in some sort of futuristic city and the younger brother was wearing a bunch of watches.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Maigius posted:

An animated movie, probably from Japan, but definitely requiring subtitles from before early 2009. There were a pair of brothers, and I think they were orphans. They were in some sort of futuristic city and the younger brother was wearing a bunch of watches.

Tekkonkinkreet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfQjc2hs34Y

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

From the art style, I think that was it.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I saw a piece of commercial artwork in October 1992 that scared the absolute poo poo out of me. It was an image of a post-apocalyptic roadside scene. There were quite a few skeletons strewn around and at least one harley-type motorcycle. In the sky, a large group of crows fly in the shape of a skull, seen face-on. It was a large, fairly standalone piece of work, at least 10 inches tall and wider than it was tall. I don't remember if it had any writing on it. It would have been printed on some kind of paper or poster material. The poster was for sale in a store that may have sold music, i remember then having books and music and gadgets and knickknacks, like a hot topic? But the store was in the outskirts of Paris so I can't look up what kind of stuff it might have been.

Looking back at it now it was probably a metal album cover or a poster from one. Any ideas?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've been searching for this for a couple years and I've basically given up.

I love the sample at the beginning of this music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTG8U-FzmZg

It can be heard at 47 seconds into the video.

It's obviously an old folksy religious song from forever ago but I thought it was such a cool intro for a hip hop song. I check Youtube every once in a while for "God's Gonna Set This World on Fire" but none of them are ever the source of the sample.

Whosampled.com doesn't have it (obviously the first place I checked).

I'm starting to wonder how the producer of this song found the drat thing in the first place.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I've been searching for this for a couple years and I've basically given up.

I love the sample at the beginning of this music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTG8U-FzmZg

It can be heard at 47 seconds into the video.

It's obviously an old folksy religious song from forever ago but I thought it was such a cool intro for a hip hop song. I check Youtube every once in a while for "God's Gonna Set This World on Fire" but none of them are ever the source of the sample.

Whosampled.com doesn't have it (obviously the first place I checked).

I'm starting to wonder how the producer of this song found the drat thing in the first place.

Sounds like the Louvin Brothers.

e. holy poo poo there are a lot of recordings of this song

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 12, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

Sounds like the Louvin Brothers.

e. holy poo poo there are a lot of recordings of this song

Checked out the Louvin Brothers; could not find anything that said they ever covered this song, unfortunately. :(

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I have vague memories of watching a cartoon with a kind of scribbly or soviet aesthetic about all the animals of the world rising up against the foolish humans. I remember next to nothing about it except for a scene where moles or another digging animals would tunnel all through a representation of planet earth, and one of them dug into the ocean, maybe?

At this point I'm almost convinced I made it up, but I guess it's worth a try.

e: I actually found it in the last of many attempts to find it, by actually googling in my native german instead of english. It's called the conference of animals and is based on a book by a famous german kids book author.

Just in case anybody is even interested in this, here are a few minutes of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X-vapggVnI

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 12, 2020

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
There was a book when I was a kid in the 80s that was all about armored knights. It had a lot of mythology writing in it (I have no idea if it was made-up mythology or actual historical stories) and the images were these beautiful classical-style fantasy paintings of knights. I feel like this book heavily influenced the sort of characters I play in video/tabletop games and I'd like to take a look at it again if possible.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I am trying to find an old typing game. I don't really remember much but you would go around and fight stuff in a medieval/fantasy setting. I would have been playing this on an old mac in the very early 90's. I know it's not but for some reason I though the name might be Dvorak Teaches Typing. Anyone remember this???

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I could have sworn there was a kingdoms heart commercial with a remix of a song from The Nutcracker (or some other christmas song), but I haven't found any evidence that it exists on youtube. I seem to remember it playing fairly frequently too. I'm not even a Kingdom Hearts fan, I just want to know if I'm just misremembering or not.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Literally A Person posted:

I am trying to find an old typing game. I don't really remember much but you would go around and fight stuff in a medieval/fantasy setting. I would have been playing this on an old mac in the very early 90's. I know it's not but for some reason I though the name might be Dvorak Teaches Typing. Anyone remember this???

Pretty close!
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/2563-dvorak-on-typing

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Polaron posted:

There was a book when I was a kid in the 80s that was all about armored knights. It had a lot of mythology writing in it (I have no idea if it was made-up mythology or actual historical stories) and the images were these beautiful classical-style fantasy paintings of knights. I feel like this book heavily influenced the sort of characters I play in video/tabletop games and I'd like to take a look at it again if possible.

Perhaps one of the Time Life series The Enchanted World, like Legends Of Valour or The Fall Of Camelot?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Thank you! I really don't understand how this didn't pop up when I googled "dvorak teaches typing" :lol:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Perhaps one of the Time Life series The Enchanted World, like Legends Of Valour or The Fall Of Camelot?

Oh my god those were the coolest poo poo. The wizards and ghosts volumes kickstarted my love for cheesy fantasy art when I was like 7.

el fikus
Apr 22, 2007
peanut butter in places peanut butter does not belong
Back in prob 07 there was a massive file full of ringtones made by goons. One of these was someone's rendition of krs-one's "Sound of da Police", but in a silly voice. I am forever looking for this and if anyone can help make this surface, that would be INCREDIBLE.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A year or so ago I bought all the Mysteries of the Unknown collection because I've wanted them since I was a little kid. I'm now seriously considering buying all of these as well. They're amazing and cheesey and I love them.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Those look cool but I don't think it was it. I remember either the front or back cover had an image of a knight in full armor with, like a fur cape or collar. He had a lot of blue highlights to the armor and may actually have been labeled "The blue knight".

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

el fikus posted:

Back in prob 07 there was a massive file full of ringtones made by goons. One of these was someone's rendition of krs-one's "Sound of da Police", but in a silly voice. I am forever looking for this and if anyone can help make this surface, that would be INCREDIBLE.
By "silly" do you mean "exaggerated accent?" I think brief forums star Futhman did a rendition of this with his native Bangladeshi accent, as I remember that going through my head all the time about a decade ago. I do not have it, but I still occasionally talk to him, if that might be the one, and I could ask if he had it.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

By "silly" do you mean "exaggerated accent?" I think brief forums star Futhman did a rendition of this with his native Bangladeshi accent, as I remember that going through my head all the time about a decade ago. I do not have it, but I still occasionally talk to him, if that might be the one, and I could ask if he had it.

Coming in to say that that sounds amazing; please do!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Coming in to say that that sounds amazing; please do!
Haha. Glad to hear there is interest even if that is not what the other guy wants.

Futhman responded to me almost immediately to say he thinks he does still have it, and will look tomorrow. I will look tonight to see if I can beat him to the punch now that I know it definitely exists

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Some years ago, a goon in watch and weight self published a book on Amazon. It had general fitness information, and advice on home workouts without gym equipment. Search is failing me. Would anyone happen to know the name of it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
69 easy exercises for people who own houses with stairs

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Not me, but my boyfriend: He's fairly sure he borrowed short audiobooks at his local library that came on some tape format that was smaller than regular cassettes. We're in Norway, he was born in '88, and they had both Disney stories (he specifically mentioned The Sword in the Stone) and Norwegian children's TV (Portveien 2 and the like). He also thinks they looped, so if you left it alone at the end you got a sound effect and then it started again.

He's also fairly sure they were specifically in the kids section, so you had a split between "small cassettes" for kids things and "normal cassettes" if you wanted to listen to Scandinavian crime noir in your car or whatever people did in the mid 90s.

What brought this up was seeing Techmoan demonstrate Pocket Rockers - they never made it over here, but he thought the tape format looked familiar. However, I have found absolutely no hint of Disney or anyone releasing audio books on any sub-cassette tape format - was this actually a thing? Were they actually repurposed Pocket Rocker 4-track infinite loop cartridges? Was this specifically a Norwegian library system project?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I really want to tackle this one because the idea of disney not trying to make money off of any format is breaking my head, but I don't know a ton about norway and even less about it back in the late 80s, early 90s so it seems like it'd have to be local or maybe just a more generically european w/ localization?

If you figure it out, let us know.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
One question comes to mind, how did he listen to them? Did the typical Norwegian home have something that could play these tapes (weird answering machines or perhaps some Teddy Ruxpin knockoff), did they use an adapter to fit in a normal tape player, ...? Though unless that really narrows it down I don't know that I'd have any suggestions that didn't get mentioned in the Techmoan video.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You should call the library and ask. They may have records of their inventory at the time, some mid-50s librarian may remember these tapes, they may even have their actual old card catalogue still around and be able to check that for what type of media they had The Sword In The Stone on. Even if they don't have a direct resource: they're a library, that kind of stuff is literally their job, and they'll probably be happy someone's interested in their own history in a way.

If they can't help you, a university library may be able to, if they have a library science or media studies faculty. They may in fact still have similar tapes. If all else fails: National Library of Norway.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

paid money to post posted:

Some years ago, a goon in watch and weight self published a book on Amazon. It had general fitness information, and advice on home workouts without gym equipment. Search is failing me. Would anyone happen to know the name of it?

Brain Over Brawn by Clint Cornelius?

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
Chessex borealis clear dice to go with the D20 someone gave me as a birthday present. I’ve never seen any other outside of an ID guide online.

Also I remember a book I loved in school that had two short stories and a longer story about the fae. One had a woman whose eye had been taken by a fae named Magda (?) who had raised her to be a vessel or something and she escapes and has a daughter. There is a short story in it about a woman who the fae try and take that features a stiletto knife mentioned a bit. I cannot remember the name AT ALL but I remember that the color of the cover was a pinkish hue.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Section 9 posted:

Brain Over Brawn by Clint Cornelius?

Yes, this was it! Thanks!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kierena posted:

Chessex borealis clear dice to go with the D20 someone gave me as a birthday present. I’ve never seen any other outside of an ID guide online.

it's out there, but while this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XQQH6W was available some time ago, it doesn't seem to be so anymore.

this isn't a perfect match but maybe this is ok https://www.amazon.com/HD-Polyhedral-Dungeons-Dragons-Pathfinder/dp/B082R4X83B

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 14, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kierena posted:

you probably know this but you're unlikely to find a match for those as the shimmer glitter they used is now a controlled substance (for its use in printing currency, not getting ~~totally blazed as hell~~)

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

Computer viking posted:

Not me, but my boyfriend: He's fairly sure he borrowed short audiobooks at his local library that came on some tape format that was smaller than regular cassettes. We're in Norway, he was born in '88, and they had both Disney stories (he specifically mentioned The Sword in the Stone) and Norwegian children's TV (Portveien 2 and the like). He also thinks they looped, so if you left it alone at the end you got a sound effect and then it started again.

He's also fairly sure they were specifically in the kids section, so you had a split between "small cassettes" for kids things and "normal cassettes" if you wanted to listen to Scandinavian crime noir in your car or whatever people did in the mid 90s.

What brought this up was seeing Techmoan demonstrate Pocket Rockers - they never made it over here, but he thought the tape format looked familiar. However, I have found absolutely no hint of Disney or anyone releasing audio books on any sub-cassette tape format - was this actually a thing? Were they actually repurposed Pocket Rocker 4-track infinite loop cartridges? Was this specifically a Norwegian library system project?

Could it be Playaway audiobooks?Here’s a pic of one that I thought of when I read your post:

https://shop.playaway.com

LL_Ghoul_J fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 14, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Kierena posted:

Also I remember a book I loved in school that had two short stories and a longer story about the fae. One had a woman whose eye had been taken by a fae named Magda (?) who had raised her to be a vessel or something and she escapes and has a daughter. There is a short story in it about a woman who the fae try and take that features a stiletto knife mentioned a bit. I cannot remember the name AT ALL but I remember that the color of the cover was a pinkish hue.

There was a goon who used to work for Chessex who had a great thread in ask/tell, i don't think he's active anymore but it's still worth a read.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

There was a goon who used to work for Chessex who had a great thread in ask/tell, i don't think he's active anymore but it's still worth a read.

i am like 99% sure that thread got Actual Memoryholed because of chessex intervention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The White Dragon posted:

69 easy exercises for people who own houses with stairs

Lol get a shaft. :smug: