Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Dr Pepper posted:

"Christianity is a Jewish plot to undermine western civilization" is quite the take.

i mean...

If u consider Rome to be 'western civilization' at least

e: lovely snipe so I'll elaborate. Nietzsche's whole beef with Christianity is that it upended codes of morality and especially of justice by glorifying weakness as strength—that it was, in essence, a deliberately self-contradictory system of ethics that would consume Rome from within by defeating the old system but preventing a cohesive new one from forming. under Christian ethics, says nietzsche, self-glorification and self-abasement are intertwined in ways that leave everyone who tries to exercise power while following them honestly a hollow posturing wreck of neuroticism, and allows shamelessness to become the governing virtue

nietzsche was also a guy who passed out from excitement if the classical music got too intense and fuckin' loved some greek statue dick—100% ur-weird-twitter-guy. also when he decided after many years of friendship that Wagner was fash and bad, actually, he announced his new emnity by going over to Wagner's house, sitting down at his piano, and staring him dead in the eyes while reeling off the latest Handel, which is one of the best callouts of history imo

so in summation nietzsche is a land of contrasts

HookedOnChthonics has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
oh hell yeah nietzsche posting here we go

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Its saturday night. You know what that means,

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

go for it imo,

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

sorry. sorry. im trying to remove it :saddowns:

another good nietzsche story is when his fash sister's fash husband went to try to to start an ethnostate in guyana and they all died and he laughed in her face about it

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

HookedOnChthonics posted:

another good nietzsche story is when his fash sister's fash husband went to try to to start an ethnostate in guyana and they all died and he laughed in her face about it

it was even dumber than that, they did it in the middle of nowhere in Paraguay, so like they couldn't even just have new recruits sail there,
also the fash husband killed himself because of it lol

not everyone died, but it went nowhere and the descendents speak the pure Aryan tongues of German and Guarani.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Grape posted:

it was even dumber than that, they did it in the middle of nowhere in Paraguay, so like they couldn't even just have new recruits sail there,
also the fash husband killed himself because of it lol

not everyone died, but it went nowhere and the descendents speak the pure Aryan tongues of German and Guarani.
that owns

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
are there any other cool nietzsche stories? i know very little about him.

i think i have a beginner's sense of slave morality but what is master morality? and did he like that? or was he trying to transcend the master-slave binary for something else?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arivia posted:

yes, that is the same person in two different portraits five years apart? their hair has gone whiter, it's grown out, and it's not a photograph so there's differences, this is not very hard to accept

i hate to say this because it sounds like a racist dogwhistle

but I think this person may be colourblind
and think all whites look alike

The idea that Weishaupt replaced Washington popped up in Illuminatus! and I can only assume the original version is much older still.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Always found it weird that Q and conspiracy people don’t really seem interested in the Freemasons

like, they have literally founded countries and there have been actual wars fought against them. Is it just too “open” to be interesting?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
they dont care about actual shadow govts

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The idea that Weishaupt replaced Washington popped up in Illuminatus! and I can only assume the original version is much older still.

This is the basis of that episode of the Simpsons about Jebediah Springfield isn't it

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Alan Smithee posted:

what the gently caress

someone read the illuminatus! trilogy and thought it was real

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Nietzsche's sister who was a Nazi took over his estate and finished his writings. His earlier writings were one of Emma Goldman's influences, and lead to the development of anarchism in the Americas, by a Jewish woman.

xtal has issued a correction as of 12:59 on Jul 12, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ANAL TRIBUTE

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

where's the ring

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

StashAugustine posted:

I honestly think the GOP would have made a serious effort for American Muslims if it wasn't for 9/11

most Somali Americans voted straight ticket GOP until Bush.

republicans, you know now who to blame for ilhan

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Calico Heart posted:

Always found it weird that Q and conspiracy people don’t really seem interested in the Freemasons

like, they have literally founded countries and there have been actual wars fought against them. Is it just too “open” to be interesting?

one could easily do a find and replace on "deep state" with "freemasonry" in q poo poo and it would not alter the meaning in any way, and there's probably an interesting dissertation to be written about the shift from "freemasons / jews / reptilians / communists secretly control to the government" to "it's just literally the government" in conspiracy thought

freemasons falling out of favor is probably just a reflection of secret, fraternal, or private social groups in general falling out of favor in wider society. i know that groups like the shriners or the elks still operate, but they don't seem to have the kind of cultural awareness that they had in decades past. like, would someone young watching the Flintstones today understand the Water Buffalo as stand-ins for the Elks or the Moose or would someone watching the Stonecutters episode of the Simpsons even get that it's a Masonic reference?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Q people are boomers and the right age to have probably all had dads who were all masons and shriners and see secret white dad clubs as the correct method of government.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Relevant Tangent posted:

Hey, we have Ancient Aliens because someone thought Lovecraft was real.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Hey, we have Ancient Aliens because someone thought Lovecraft was real.

and we're all very happy for that. map01 HI IT'S THE CYBERDEMON

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/status/1282348272984694784

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it must chap their asses to live in Port Clinton

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Azathoth posted:

one could easily do a find and replace on "deep state" with "freemasonry" in q poo poo and it would not alter the meaning in any way, and there's probably an interesting dissertation to be written about the shift from "freemasons / jews / reptilians / communists secretly control to the government" to "it's just literally the government" in conspiracy thought

freemasons falling out of favor is probably just a reflection of secret, fraternal, or private social groups in general falling out of favor in wider society. i know that groups like the shriners or the elks still operate, but they don't seem to have the kind of cultural awareness that they had in decades past. like, would someone young watching the Flintstones today understand the Water Buffalo as stand-ins for the Elks or the Moose or would someone watching the Stonecutters episode of the Simpsons even get that it's a Masonic reference?

If anything I bet they'd think the Freemasons were references to the Water Buffalo

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
fred was member of a secret lodge, worked in a quarry, name flintstone -- an obvious ripoff of the stone cutters

ironically the flintstones themselves got ripped off by some live-action sitcom called the newlyweds(?) trying to be edgelords joking about the fred character beating his wife

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

fred was member of a secret lodge, worked in a quarry, name flintstone -- an obvious ripoff of the stone cutters

ironically the flintstones themselves got ripped off by some live-action sitcom called the newlyweds(?) trying to be edgelords joking about the fred character beating his wife

Well, the Flintstones was a ripoff of The Honeymooners, which was about a man who beat his wife.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

i mean...

If u consider Rome to be 'western civilization' at least

e: lovely snipe so I'll elaborate. Nietzsche's whole beef with Christianity is that it upended codes of morality and especially of justice by glorifying weakness as strength—that it was, in essence, a deliberately self-contradictory system of ethics that would consume Rome from within by defeating the old system but preventing a cohesive new one from forming. under Christian ethics, says nietzsche, self-glorification and self-abasement are intertwined in ways that leave everyone who tries to exercise power while following them honestly a hollow posturing wreck of neuroticism, and allows shamelessness to become the governing virtue

nietzsche was also a guy who passed out from excitement if the classical music got too intense and fuckin' loved some greek statue dick—100% ur-weird-twitter-guy. also when he decided after many years of friendship that Wagner was fash and bad, actually, he announced his new emnity by going over to Wagner's house, sitting down at his piano, and staring him dead in the eyes while reeling off the latest Handel, which is one of the best callouts of history imo

so in summation nietzsche is a land of contrasts

*takes huge rip off bong*

What if....what if the new testament was just Roman propaganda to the Jews that got way out of control? Like after the Romans put down the Jewish revolt they wanted to let the Jews know that not only that the messiah they were waiting for wasnt coming, but he already had come and the Romans crucified him. Oh and on his way out, the messiah said to be meek and poo poo and render unto caesar.

*lets out rest of smoke*

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If the Bible was written by God themself you wouldn't think they'd need an errata issue. What's next, Newer Testament?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I didn’t know Niz was the R/atheist of his time

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/sustrapperazzi_/status/1282309409532772352?s=21

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

from what I've seen this Wagner guy was real bad news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Rv_HXmGeQ

so watch out

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Ron Jeremy posted:

What if....what if the new testament was just Roman propaganda to the Jews that got way out of control? Like after the Romans put down the Jewish revolt they wanted to let the Jews know that not only that the messiah they were waiting for wasnt coming, but he already had come and the Romans crucified him. Oh and on his way out, the messiah said to be meek and poo poo and render unto caesar.

*lets out rest of smoke*

Jesus says “render unto Caesar” specifically in reference to being asked “what should be done about roman occupation?”

I.e, Caesar can have his loving Rome and his dumb coin (which Jesus is holding when he says the line), but the Holy Land is for the Jews

I dunno, a LOT of what Jesus says can really specifically be read as being about the Romans getting the gently caress out

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Renaissance Spam posted:

If anything I bet they'd think the Freemasons were references to the Water Buffalo

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Ron Jeremy posted:

*lets out rest of smoke*

this is a book called Caesar’s Messiah

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar%27s_Messiah

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

there’s actually a theory that Pilates was an inside man, sent by the head of the Praetorian Guard to rile up the Jews so the Emperor would give him troops and the extra-judiciary power that would let him launch a coup.

Sejanus died in like AD 32, so that would make the cruxificition October 18th, 31 ad.

From Saint Eusebius

“Sejanus, who was then in great favor with Tiberius, had made every effort to destroy the whole nation of the Jews from the foundation, and that in Pontius Pilate under whom the crimes were committed against our Savior, having attempted everything contrary to what was lawful among the Jews respecting the Temple at Jerusalem, which was then yet standing, excited them to the greatest tumults”

PawParole has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Jul 12, 2020

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Relevant Tangent posted:

To be fair, every ten years the latest right wing conspiracy rediscovers the (summary of the) book and/or card game and goes "Look, they said everything they were going to do RIGHT HERE!"

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody remember the Hellblazer issue where the ghosts of Vietnam War US soldiers do a zippo raid on a chud Midwest town

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Phi230 posted:

Anybody remember the Hellblazer issue where the ghosts of Vietnam War US soldiers do a zippo raid on a chud Midwest town

Yup! That was in the very first trade. Best part is they were part of a Prosperity Gospel cult (I think it was called the Redemption Crusade)? That basically said "Throw us money and pray really hard and eventually you'll get to the top of the list and we'll pray for you too and your prayer will be answered!" and the prayer was "bring our boys home" so yeah the ghosts of all the local boys who went to 'nam came back and the one guy who survived and is barely functioning joins up with them and they cut a swathe through the city, and John just basically stands there in horror.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

the whole "jesus never existed" thing prefigures so much of the current new atheist to alt-right "facts and logic" bullshit

like, they couldn't help but engage in all the same smug poo poo as young earth creationists to push the stupidest, most ahistorical point of view, and none of them ever realized the absolute irony of it

Calico Heart posted:

Jesus says “render unto Caesar” specifically in reference to being asked “what should be done about roman occupation?”

I.e, Caesar can have his loving Rome and his dumb coin (which Jesus is holding when he says the line), but the Holy Land is for the Jews

I dunno, a LOT of what Jesus says can really specifically be read as being about the Romans getting the gently caress out

my view is that there's a clear progression in the Gospels from being anti-Roman to pro-Roman, if one accepts that Mark was the first one written, followed by either Matthew or Luke, then with John last. it also neatly follows the transition from a very human Jesus in Mark to a very divine Jesus in John. the basic argument being that Jesus was one of a large number of messiah claimants floating around 1st century Roman Judea, and his actual message was definitely "gently caress the Romans" but as the fortunes of the local Jewish population waned, the authors of Matthew and Luke wanted to make it clear to the Romans that Christianity was a separate thing from Judaism, to avoid persecution.

though obviously a matter of scholarly debate, placing the dating of Mark to either immediately before or immediately after the destruction of the Second Temple in 70 CE is instructive. the First Jewish-Roman War had started in 66 CE and the author of Mark was pretty clear that the Romans played an integral part in the Crucifixion, while also emphasizing that Judaism and Christianity were not the same thing, even if the actual split was really only getting started. the Gospels of Matthew and Luke were written sometime later, and the authors had access to Mark, but definitely took a significantly less "gently caress the Romans" stance, which I think is reflective of their writing sometime after the end of the First Jewish-Roman war in 73 and basically acknowledges that the Romans are going to win

the authors take great pains to emphasize a less physical and more spiritual Jesus, as well as a Jesus more out of step with local Jewish leadership, again in my opinion, because the authors were writing to reflect the increasing divergence of Judaism and Christianity, and to make it clear so that Christians didn't get caught up in the suppression of the Jewish rebellion. the Gospel of John completes this by being pretty explicitly pro-Roman and anti-Jewish in tone, again emphasizing "ffs we are not Jews, don't persecute us" in the run-up to the Second Jewish-Roman War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

are there any other cool nietzsche stories? i know very little about him.

i think i have a beginner's sense of slave morality but what is master morality? and did he like that? or was he trying to transcend the master-slave binary for something else?

Nietzsche was definitely on the master side, but the dichotomy is a lot more complicated than it sounds.

Anyway, my favorite Nietzsche story is a letter he wrote to his friend Franz Overbeck after he had lost his mind:

Nietzsche posted:

To friend Overbeck and wife.

Although you have so far demonstrated little faith in my ability to pay, I yet hope to demonstrate that I am somebody who pays his debts -- for example, to you. I am just having all anti-Semites shot.

Dionysus

From Kate Beaton's Hark, A Vagrant.

I, personally, think it says a certain something about his character that this was where his priorities lay in his madness and delusions of grandeur.