Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Elfface posted:

Why bother having names for colours? Just have the word colour, and then everything is night-colour, blood-colour, fire colour, plant-colour, sky-colour etc.

Your first problem is how you conceptually define a colour. Many people think white and/or black aren't colours, for instance.

Secondly, as someone else pointed out, nights can be black, purple, dark blue, etc. so your references would still be arbitrary.

Third, even if you got past those two and for some reason people decided to adopt this particular scheme, after some time people would begin to erode your words and differentiate them more because they all sound so similar, so you might end up with stuff like nighto, bloodco, fico, skyco, planto, etc. eventually evolving into nyco, blucco, fyco, skyco, planno, bringing you right back to square one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I think the creator of toki pona just happened to be a fan of Polynesian languages and based a lot of her creation on those because she thought they might be a fun deviation from the usual Germanic or Romance languages that most constructed languages are based on, and some of those do the blue/green thing, I guess? She also added a good helping of Finnish in there to throw people off a bit. ('kala' = fish or some aquatic creature, 'lipu' = flat thing like paper or flag or whatever, etc.) It's just a fun linguistic experiment which also happens to give some good insights into the way we communicate, it's okay to just enjoy a thing like it without having to immediately take it apart while complaining about it. :kiddo:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Kennel posted:

Koshantti konyoneantti kowhontti kosn'tintti koantti kompletecontti koronmontti koverentti koedtrintti kotontti koatecrentti konantti komanhuntti konguagelantti?

Is that finnish?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No he could go on if you like

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/MonkeyDLenny/status/1282147033743327232

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

This basically happens every time you sleep.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Power Khan posted:

Is that finnish?

It's a Finnish version of Pig Latin.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Schlinky posted:

Gonna have to say, Citizen Joe is probably one of my favourite episodes of Stargate, in how it completely shits on the fans (played by Dan Castellaneta). I mean sure, it’s a bottle/recap episode of the series, but I love how it approaches the idea of some random watching the SG-1 team’s adventures (through space magic), and slowly spiralling out of control.

Plus, when he finally meets the SG-1 team, his behaviour towards them is most definitely poo poo that the writers/actors have received from fans.

I saw Season 8 and assumed it was the Teal'c apartment episode. I thought it was totally fine even if it is a clipshow episode (and the fact that it introduced those stupid stones that ruined SGU).

anyway the only episodes worth skipping are the water one in season 4 and the tomb one with the russians, only because they're boring. The others on that list are bad in their own ways, but I still don't skip them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Elfface posted:

Why bother having names for colours? Just have the word colour, and then everything is night-colour, blood-colour, fire colour, plant-colour, sky-colour etc.

Isn't this already a thing? Salmon, lime, eggplant color, etc. Casual sexism aside,

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Half of those are wrong.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
...SAID THE GIRL

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Your first problem is how you conceptually define a colour. Many people think white and/or black aren't colours, for instance.

Secondly, as someone else pointed out, nights can be black, purple, dark blue, etc. so your references wrong

There’s ample evidence that people didn’t have a name for the color blue until modern times.

The Odyssey describes the sea as a wine-dark red, and words describing blue in other languages just didn’t exist until recently:

https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-didn-t-see-the-colour-blue-until-modern-times-evidence-science

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Color names that are just food names are cheating, gently caress outta here with eggplant. Come back when you've got an image with some burnt ochre in it, ok

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

raverrn posted:

Does Esperanto count?

Gee I dunno, is "I want all the peoples of the world to be able to converse with each other so I'll just mash together some Romance languages with some other European poo poo and make a new, worse Italian or whatever!" the work of a non-moron?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

OSU_Matthew posted:

There’s ample evidence that people didn’t have a name for the color blue until modern times.

The Odyssey describes the sea as a wine-dark red, and words describing blue in other languages just didn’t exist until recently:

https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-didn-t-see-the-colour-blue-until-modern-times-evidence-science

I thought it's specifically wine dark and even "red" wine can look much darker than red depending on the lighting

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Milo and POTUS posted:

I thought it's specifically wine dark and even "red" wine can look much darker than red depending on the lighting

Just wikipedia, but the "Ancient Greece and wine" article notes that wine came in a variety of colors, some of which could be ink-black, and they would commonly dilute their wine. This suggests to me that the properties of wine's coloration are as important for the ocean metaphor, where the depth and dilution and opacity all play into both wine and the sea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greece_and_wine posted:

The most common style of wine in ancient Greece was sweet and aromatic, though drier wines were also produced. Color ranged from dark, inky black to tawny to nearly clear. Oxidation was difficult to control, a common wine fault that meant many wines did not retain their quality beyond the next vintage.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Loud music in this stupid thing.

https://i.imgur.com/nH79gYI.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Love it

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
e: nvm apparently this particular russian meme translation is a slur

Montalvo has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Jul 12, 2020

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

OSU_Matthew posted:

The Odyssey describes the sea as a wine-dark red

No, it doesn't. Homer uses οἶνοψ πόντος, which means "wine-faced" or "wine-eyed", and uses it to describe rough seas - it's almost certainly not the color but the swaying, unpredictable, dangerous movement of the ocean he's talking about. William Gladstone noticed that the only other time Homer uses οἶνοψ, it's in a description of oxen that happen to be red, and decided that meant Homer was calling the sea red. He was almost certainly wrong, but to this day that phrase gets translated as "wine-dark" because of his assumption.

What is true is that Homer barely uses the Greek word for "blue", κυανός - it shows up only once, to describe Zeus's eyebrows of all things, and probably means "dark" in context.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lodin posted:

Loud music in this stupid thing.

https://i.imgur.com/nH79gYI.mp4

Are you yiffing son?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Android Apocalypse posted:

Not all chowders have milk as their base. Manhattan clam chowder uses tomatoes and clam juice. Now if you want to argue the merits of Manhattan clam chowder (which isn't even from New York), that's something else.

Meme:

I think you mean, clam milk.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
https://twitter.com/serendark_/status/1282189710849241088

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

No, it doesn't. Homer uses οἶνοψ πόντος, which means "wine-faced" or "wine-eyed", and uses it to describe rough seas - it's almost certainly not the color but the swaying, unpredictable, dangerous movement of the ocean he's talking about. William Gladstone noticed that the only other time Homer uses οἶνοψ, it's in a description of oxen that happen to be red, and decided that meant Homer was calling the sea red. He was almost certainly wrong, but to this day that phrase gets translated as "wine-dark" because of his assumption.

"Oh no, mother ocean's drunk again and not in a fun way."

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Kennel posted:

Koshantti konyoneantti kowhontti kosn'tintti koantti kompletecontti koronmontti koverentti koedtrintti kotontti koatecrentti konantti komanhuntti konguagelantti?

namaste

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

*namastessintti

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Tax Man has a son?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Melaneus posted:

"Oh no, mother ocean's drunk again and not in a fun way."

Poseidon's been hitting the οἶνοψ hard today

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Why did the Greeks not simply climb Olympus, an actual mountain that is right over there and isn't even that big, and punch Zeus in the face for his exhaustive history of sex crimes?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They were cool with it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Volcott posted:

Why did the Greeks not simply climb Olympus, an actual mountain that is right over there and isn't even that big, and punch Zeus in the face for his exhaustive history of sex crimes?

Because there's the real physical mountain, and there's the Heavenly Olympus where Gods live. It was just a generic name for a high mountain, people didn't think gods lived on a specific observable mountain.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Volcott posted:

it was like a metaphor dude

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Volcott posted:

Humanity tried, and Zeus just ripped us all in half.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Volcott posted:

Because humanity didn’t really care about sex crimes until it could be distilled into a hash tag, and even then only when it’s politically expedient

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Humanity tried, and Zeus just ripped us all in half.

And that, my friends, is why being gay is superior.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXOpxC5kt7Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

euphronius posted:

Do any of you people use SAP

It’s ludicrous

God, we switched to it at work 4 years ago and it's the least intuitive piece of software I have ever used in my life.