Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Because she finds out he likes her. That's the only reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Solice Kirsk posted:

But she also found out Donny likes her! Women am I right!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah it's some real high school poo poo there.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

oldpainless posted:

Donny was a decent guy and was royally hosed over by the daphne niles thing. The only reason the audience doesn’t hate daphne and Niles in that is because they’re the main characters. And I cannot remember a single legitimate reason daphne starts to like Niles

he got rich again

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

hard counter posted:

the more i hear about maris, the more i think i would fall in love with her

Her ability to absolutely clown on people like Frasier makes her irresistible, the fact she's ravishing is pure gravy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Imagine how much better the later seasons would have been if Daphne slowly realized she was in love with Niles and her feelings toward Donny were just displaced feelings towards Niles while he was going through his divorce. During that time they could have showed more how Mel was wrong for Niles and show the flaws in Donny and then eventually they wind up together in the last season.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Donny and Mel should have got together, and been noticeably happier than Daphne and Niles

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hard counter posted:

the more i hear about maris, the more i think i would fall in love with her

Are you her fencing coach? Or marriage counselor?

I think she might just be so loving weird that she fascinates people.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are you her fencing coach? Or marriage counselor?

I think she might just be so loving weird that she fascinates people.

Like a stick insect!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

It's funny how season 1 maris is weird but less hostile than lilith (and lilith is _mean_) but season 11 maris is an insane medical marvel that also kills people and is heiress to a urinal cake fortune. And of course by that time, lilith ends up being the only normal person in the room whenever she's there.

We just started season 1 again, I'm tempted to write down all the Weird Maris poo poo, but am far too lazy

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i think in season 1 the plan was still to eventually cast maris, just build her up a bit first and have the audience think they're never going to see her like it was with norm's wife on cheers, but then sometime later she'll just appear one day and be a regular side character

eventually they scrapped those plans and so the oral legends of maris were free to grow as tall as the redwoods in california

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Achmed Jones posted:

We just started season 1 again, I'm tempted to write down all the Weird Maris poo poo, but am far too lazy
Remember when Jordan Peterson was on his All BEEF diet and was like "I ate parsley once and was beset by 49 hours of insomnia, hallucinations, fever and chills"?

That's Maris right there.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FilthyImp posted:

Remember when Jordan Peterson was on his All BEEF diet and was like "I ate parsley once and was beset by 49 hours of insomnia, hallucinations, fever and chills"?

That's Maris right there.

Hey, don't make him sound crazy, it was apple cider! Much more reasonable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

hard counter posted:

i think in season 1 the plan was still to eventually cast maris, just build her up a bit first and have the audience think they're never going to see her like it was with norm's wife on cheers, but then sometime later she'll just appear one day and be a regular side character

eventually they scrapped those plans and so the oral legends of maris were free to grow as tall as the redwoods in california

I think it was a bit of both- they realised her descriptions had already gotten so ridiculous that no actress could do her justice, so they kept her offscreen and went wild.

Achmed Jones posted:

It's funny how season 1 maris is weird but less hostile than lilith (and lilith is _mean_) but season 11 maris is an insane medical marvel that also kills people and is heiress to a urinal cake fortune. And of course by that time, lilith ends up being the only normal person in the room whenever she's there.

Reminded of an episode where Martin says that Lillith was worse/weirder than Maris, which seems nuts in retrospect. But then again, it makes sense if you consider that, at least in a public context, Maris isn't usually actively unpleasant, and her issues are mostly things she genuinely can't help, while Lillith is actively cold and mean.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Brawnfire posted:

Hey, don't make him sound crazy, it was apple cider! Much more reasonable.
Right, I'm confusing that with his daughter, who had an acute pepper related reaction:

quote:

If even a tiny amount of anything else finds its way into her mouth, she will be ill, she says. This happened when she tried to eat an organic olive, and again recently when she was at a restaurant that put pepper on her steak.

“I was like, whatever, it’s just pepper,” she told me. Then she had a reaction that lasted three weeks and included joint pain, acne, and anxiety.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

oldpainless posted:

Donny was a decent guy and was royally hosed over by the daphne niles thing. The only reason the audience doesn’t hate daphne and Niles in that is because they’re the main characters. And I cannot remember a single legitimate reason daphne starts to like Niles

It's almost like feelings are not dictated by logic.

Also there are some scenes in the first few seasons where it's clear she wants someone *like* him. That's the whole point. She realises the person she wants to date and has been searching for has been right in front of her the whole time, making creepifying actions towards her general state of being.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 11, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Right, I'm confusing that with his daughter, who had an acute pepper related reaction:

I'm so healthy I can't eat a varied diet without almost dying, this is peak performance

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded of an episode where Martin says that Lillith was worse/weirder than Maris, which seems nuts in retrospect. But then again, it makes sense if you consider that, at least in a public context, Maris isn't usually actively unpleasant, and her issues are mostly things she genuinely can't help, while Lillith is actively cold and mean.

Ha! Yeah that's the ep that occasioned my post. What you say makes sense though- Maris's weirdness (aside from being mistaken for a hat rack and slipping through the bars on a jail cell) largely only shows up in her private life - to other folks it just looks like she didn't show up to the gala or whatever. Only Niles (and the audience) know it was because she got frozen to a butterball turkey trying to soothe the rash she got from stepping over a begonia or whatever

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given Maris is noted to be formerly obese, occasionally massively overeats when having emotional breakdowns, is addicted to plastic surgery and absurdly neurotic, it's honestly surprisingly she's lived as long as she has.

Remember she first met Niles when she helped her when her car broke down. As far as she's concerned, Niles is one of the only people she can rely on AND more or less fits in with her lifestyle.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It was totally a "mummy, daddums, I'm slumming it with a *blue collar worker*!" thing

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it was a bit of both- they realised her descriptions had already gotten so ridiculous that no actress could do her justice, so they kept her offscreen and went wild.

funny enough, before frasier david hyde pierce was on another tv show where he played an effete fella who had married a vain heiress w/an eating disorder that he didn't completely love, and consequently had to juggle a secret affection with a working class maid - david hyde pierce used his experiences from that 1 season show to give him a working image of maris for his acting on frasier, and had they ever cast maris he would've suggested the actress from that show

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Should've cast Bebe Neuwirth, and only had Daphne be able to see the similarity to Lilith.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
DHP appears in the show Caroline in the City as... Niles Crane??? :wth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BGRYxEglq8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hPWSUqcVi8
(he plays a character during the episode in which Bulldog and Bebe also make an appearance, and at the end of the episode as himself)

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 12, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah there was some weird night of crossovers where Joey and Chandler run into Caroline and then Caroline runs into Niles and God knows what else.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I always loved how hyped up those nights would get and then every crossover episode of each show would be worse than any non-crossover episode. New Girl and Brooklyn 99 did one more recently and it was a yawnfest.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

hard counter posted:

funny enough, before frasier david hyde pierce was on another tv show where he played an effete fella who had married a vain heiress w/an eating disorder that he didn't completely love, and consequently had to juggle a secret affection with a working class maid - david hyde pierce used his experiences from that 1 season show to give him a working image of maris for his acting on frasier, and had they ever cast maris he would've suggested the actress from that show

I absolutely love the picture the Frasier wiki uses for her:

I always pictured her as a Brides of Dracula type.

Achmed Jones posted:

I'm shocked there isn't a list already.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I love watching Frasier with my psychologist (NOT psychiatrist) wife so I can ask her if any particular action by the crane boys is a violation of professional ethics.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The answer is generally yes

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It would be breaking doctor/patient confidentiality, fortunately I know a trick!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Doesn’t the very show Frasier hosts break the doctor/patient confidentiality since anyone can listen to him dispense advice?

Obviously the answer is no but still it makes you think

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sunswipe posted:

Should've cast Bebe Neuwirth, and only had Daphne be able to see the similarity to Lilith.

Oh man that's one step from casting her as Lilith, Maris, and Niles' and Frasier's mom, which, now that I'm thinking about it...

oldpainless posted:

Doesn’t the very show Frasier hosts break the doctor/patient confidentiality since anyone can listen to him dispense advice?

Obviously the answer is no but still it makes you think

Captain of team Niles over here

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The episode where Frasier is sick and Niles fills in is my mom's favorite episode. I think a big reason I love the show so much was that it was something that me and my family all watched together when I was a kid. I was a teen when it started airing, so watching Frasier with my family was basically the only thing I liked doing with my parents at the time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hard counter posted:

That show (The Powers That Be, if anyone is wondering) is actually largely responsible for him being cast on Frasier.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Solice Kirsk posted:

The episode where Frasier is sick and Niles fills in is my mom's favorite episode. I think a big reason I love the show so much was that it was something that me and my family all watched together when I was a kid. I was a teen when it started airing, so watching Frasier with my family was basically the only thing I liked doing with my parents at the time.

I had the same kind of experience, my parents were watching it (I was literally born the day before this video took place) in the ICU after I was born, and I grew up with the end of the show, and then constant reruns. I think Channel 4 (in the UK) has been showing it basically non-stop in the morning the majority of the time I've been alive, actually...

I feel like it's difficult to recommend it to other people because a lot of the slapstick elements are downright over the top and feel very hamfisted/hammed-up if you don't have a firm grasp of how the characters react. The shaving foam scene comes to mind. The whole event is ridiculous and Frasier's "NIIIILLLES!!" is really hammy. But it's funny when you have a feel for Frasier and his reactions to things.

It's a lot like parks and rec in that regard. I remember seeing that on late night tv and my reaction was "what the gently caress is this poo poo. do americans find this funny?". Then 3 or 4 years later I picked it up from the start (although these days I recommend people skip the first season because it's generally low-par), let the character development hook me, and I love the show now. You need a basis in the characters for the slapstick to feel natural and not-hammy.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 13, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The first season of p&r is so very bad it's a wonder they survived. I tried the office as well but I'm still wondering when that's supposed to get good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Are you implying it's possible to not be on Team Niles

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sudonim posted:

I love watching Frasier with my psychologist (NOT psychiatrist) wife so I can ask her if any particular action by the crane boys is a violation of professional ethics.

Achmed Jones posted:

The answer is generally yes

On top of that their whole thing with Freudian/Jungian theory is ludicrously outdated, though it's pretty common for TV writers to use that simply because it's what they know and it's easy and fun to write about. Lillith actually calls them out on this at some point iirc.

I think the radio show isn't necessarily a violation though, in that Frasier isn't necessarily acting as a professional in that context.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dear Ann Landers,

I TOLD YOU THAT poo poo IN CONFIDENCE!!!

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Its pronounced Fraz-ee-Aye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Its pronounced Fraz-ee-Aye

Moderateurs