Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

ive always really liked nyc when i visited. it’s an overwhelming nightmare in a really interesting way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Living in New York and trying to get into the hip artist parties absolutely rot the mind lmao.

You know I wondered why you made this weird potshot at Those NYC Hipsters out of nowhere a few days ago and now I get that this is something you've been dealing with for awhile.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

One guy compared it to an arrested development episode with no jokes and

To be clear, that was a compliment. It very much has that sense of unrelenting escalation with no time to breathe and maybe a few heartbeats for the viewer to scream "What the gently caress why are you doubling down again you already won you sick gently caress'

also I heard the episode months before seeing the movie or knowing the Safdies existed and it was fine

like what's next a retroactive hateboner for the alan moore interview

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 12, 2020

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I will kill and die for my big city made of piss whose infrastructure crumbles from the slightest disturbance and it’s perpetually miserable paranoid populace.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I’m talkin bout New York Baybeeeee!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sleeveless posted:

You know I wondered why you made this weird potshot at Those NYC Hipsters out of nowhere a few days ago and now I get that this is something you've been dealing with for awhile.

You got so mad I didn't care for an episode you tried to dig through my post history to find something to own me with and THIS is the best you got?

Goddamn seriously relax it was just a boring episode.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the allan moore interview owned. him describing reality as an etched crystal gem or whatever the gently caress he was talking about was great

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Uncut Gems is the best simulation of autism spectrum noise sensitivity I've ever experienced thanks to it's unbearably loud and grating soundtrack/audio.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nah Felix is right NYC sucks rear end sorry about your psychoanalysis or whatever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

THS posted:

the allan moore interview owned. him describing reality as an etched crystal gem or whatever the gently caress he was talking about was great

Legit one of my favorite eps of the whole run of chapo.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Look if I have to choose between an innocent black family getting healthcare and education they deserve vs a poisonous and lovely racist having to explain to their families why they have to move back in with their folks (I called someone working at Popeye’s the N-word and now I can’t keep working at my hair salon!) that’s an easy choice to make.

Also a person getting fired for racism and CHOOSING TO DOUBLE DOWN ON RACISM is their fault, their choice. It is absolutely not the victims responsibility to rehabilitate or re-educate someone. If you become a viral racist Karen and come away from the experience thinking that you were the victim, there isn’t any saving that person.
Absolutely disagree with you on this. The problem with the situation you describes is not an individual failing of a racist actor, but a system that allows people's inherent biases and prejudices to act on them to the detriment of minorities.

The racist DA is only able to ruin the lives of black people because of a system that allows them to get away with uneven targeting of the law. The racist banker, likewise, is only able to ruin the lives of black people because of a system that allowed predatory subprime loans to be marketed to black people even when they may otherwise have qualified for prime loans. The racist teacher can ruin a black kid's life by withholding resources from them, or punishing them severely for the poo poo kids all do, things that wouldn't happen if the system they worked for didn't have a focus on harsh discipline.

Someone saying the n word at a fast food at a Popeye's is worthy of public mockery, but the fact that someone can be instantly fired without due process because of enough complaints from twitter warriors is an indictment on our lack of labor rights. Remember the whole dongle-gate thing where a dude got fired for making a dongle joke to his buddy in a conference and a woman overheard it? Then, that woman herself being fired because the company didn't want to deal with a DDoS attack? Neither of those things would have happened if we didn't have strong labor protections.

Racists do not deserve to starve because they have no access to stable working conditions. No one does, and being able to summon an online mob to swarm someone's employer and get them fired is just evidence of how precarious everyone's job is and up to the whim of if your employer doesn't deem you a PR risk.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
how are you people arguing about a dumb months old movie review and are able to recall anything specific from that episode

just let the nonsense flow out of your head as soon as you hear it jesus christ

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

As someone who lives in a burb I would kill to live in an actual city. Including NYC despite them being our mortal enemies.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Alan Moore's Quantum Calvinism Hour wasn't good but getting a celebrity known for their wacky metaphysical magickal beliefs to ramble about infinity crystals on mic is totes different than enthusiastically agreeing with a dipshit columnist.

You got so mad I didn't care for an episode you tried to dig through my post history to find something to own me with and THIS is the best you got?

Goddamn seriously relax it was just a boring episode.

Normal post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s an episode about a movie you’ve never seen and a bunch of guys in the movie, of course you think it’s bad. Watch the movie and if you like it, listen to the episode again. Why are people struggling with this concept?

The Chapos are not good interviewers.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Shipon posted:

Absolutely disagree with you on this. The problem with the situation you describes is not an individual failing of a racist actor, but a system that allows people's inherent biases and prejudices to act on them to the detriment of minorities.

The racist DA is only able to ruin the lives of black people because of a system that allows them to get away with uneven targeting of the law. The racist banker, likewise, is only able to ruin the lives of black people because of a system that allowed predatory subprime loans to be marketed to black people even when they may otherwise have qualified for prime loans. The racist teacher can ruin a black kid's life by withholding resources from them, or punishing them severely for the poo poo kids all do, things that wouldn't happen if the system they worked for didn't have a focus on harsh discipline.

Someone saying the n word at a fast food at a Popeye's is worthy of public mockery, but the fact that someone can be instantly fired without due process because of enough complaints from twitter warriors is an indictment on our lack of labor rights. Remember the whole dongle-gate thing where a dude got fired for making a dongle joke to his buddy in a conference and a woman overheard it? Then, that woman herself being fired because the company didn't want to deal with a DDoS attack? Neither of those things would have happened if we didn't have strong labor protections.

Racists do not deserve to starve because they have no access to stable working conditions. No one does, and being able to summon an online mob to swarm someone's employer and get them fired is just evidence of how precarious everyone's job is and up to the whim of if your employer doesn't deem you a PR risk.

hell yeah, finally someone says something smart in this thread.

Like amber said, she can't be canceled because she doesn't have a boss. So if more people didn't have a boss online warriors have less power over you.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't be cancelled because I've never done anything wrong

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

shame on an IGA posted:

like what's next a retroactive hateboner for the alan moore interview

Oh so now running a polyamorous snake cult in the cave behind your house is enough to get someone cancelled? Smdh

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
uncle gems

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I went to NYC and as the Amtrak pulled into Penn Station, the conductor announced over the intercom, "Welcome to the big apple, the city that never sleeps. If you can make it here you can make it anywhere." I laughed and enjoyed my great week there.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
btw if you want to listen to a more interesting take on police/prison abolition, i think someone in the patreon comments recommended chris hayes’ interview with mariame kaba on his show “why is this happening?” it’s a pretty good interview and i don’t think the takes are dogshit. it’s posted in the feed twice, but the interview is exactly the same for both as far as i can tell. apologies if this has been posted in the thread already.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Wonder what those posters think of Hayes' interview with Brandon del Pozo on his podcast last week.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

Wonder what those posters think of Hayes' interview with Brandon del Pozo on his podcast last week.

I got through about 13 mins of it. I'll bet Matt Taibbi loved it though.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
i haven’t listened to that one but hayes works for MSNBC, of course he’s gonna have trash episodes/guests. the mariame one was good though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I just find it a little funny that people complaining about a bad podcast episode are recommending the podcast that had on the Pete-Buttigieg-as-a-Cop guest on last week.

But, yes, the Mariame episode was good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Joementum posted:

I just find it a little funny that people complaining about a bad podcast episode are recommending the podcast that had on the Pete-Buttigieg-as-a-Cop guest on last week.

We should be able to expect more from the Chapos than from Chris Hayes though, right?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mcmagic posted:

We should be able to expect more from the Chapos than from Chris Hayes though, right?

In terms of problematic guests, that gets a bit tricky, but generally yes, and definitely not something anyone should make a big deal about.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the safdie episode was good because its really just a continuation of chapos' ongoing theme of identifying and discussing all the different types of guys

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Joementum posted:

In terms of problematic guests, that gets a bit tricky, but generally yes, and definitely not something anyone should make a big deal about.

I don't think they should be canceled and i'm not canceling my patreon sub but the interview with Taibbi was disappointing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/sticky_llama/status/1282355316714344449?s=21

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well, yes, that's her job. As they pointed out on the episode about Robin's book, the point is to ensure the continuation of white supremacy by shielding the company from legal claims through a seminar on how actually you, not the company, is the racist.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It’s funny when people call Chapo, who people pay to make a podcast and then they make a podcast, grifters

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They also started it by giving it away for free

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The best recent movie episode was the Muslim terrorists travelling back in time to kill Jesus one because I loved the boys' unironic enthusiasm for it.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Joementum posted:

sometimes people make a bad episode.

sometimes people who have a bad podcast make a good episode, like the podcast matt and virgil went on last year

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I dunno, talking simpsons is pretty alright.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chakan posted:

I dunno, talking simpsons is pretty alright.

Actually it's bad

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Was Dick Mullen from Disco Elysium named for our favorite Cum Boy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Joementum posted:

Remember when Andrew Yang was a guest on Chapo.