Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

seance snacks posted:

Saw a thing today about radiation levels measured throughout the Baltic Sea, theories about a sunken Russian submarine finally rusting through....

Note to self, don’t buy Sardines from that area

pfft

EAT THE drat IRRADIATED BONES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

isaboo posted:

pfft

EAT THE drat IRRADIATED BONES

Aquaman origin story lookin good

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Keith Atherton posted:

I’ve brought two people who thought they hated sardines into the fold by having them try Seasons skinless and boneless on a triscuit with hot sauce and guacamole. You don’t have to eat the skins and fins to eat healthy tasty fish

That's where you're wrong bucko!

Poster's Note: there is no wrong way to enjoy tinned fish with friends :)

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I will never stop eating pickled Baltic herring, irradiated or not! Dammit, its new potato season and potatoes with matjes herring is simply too good.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

seance snacks posted:

Saw a thing today about radiation levels measured throughout the Baltic Sea, theories about a sunken Russian submarine finally rusting through....

Note to self, don’t buy Sardines from that area
Hehe radiation.

There's so much dioxin and mercury in the baltic sea anything bigger than a sardine is not advised to eat. Sardines are so low down the food chain they don't get affected by dioxins and mercury and those are much more dangerous at lower concentrations than nuclear sources so I wouldn't sweat a bit of buzz.

naem
May 29, 2011

Biblical loving posted:

There's a lot of fancy sardine recipies itt, it's kinda blowing my mind, i only ever have them on toast

I’m more of a “shirtless over the kitchen sink out of the tin” kinda guy

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
ITT we don't shame how one loves & eats 'dines.

As promised, picked up some resupplies from the local Asian grocery store:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

naem posted:

I’m more of a “shirtless over the kitchen sink out of the tin” kinda guy

There's no wrong way to consume sardines, but there is a rightest way, and this (the post i am quoting) is it

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 29, 2020

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
More like sardon'ts.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I bought kaviar (creamed smoked cod roe) on a whim and have been eating it on rye. If I feel particularly fancy and Swedish, I first add sliced hardboiled eggs and spread it on that. It's pretty fantastic, if a bit oily!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

tomorrow I'm going to get up, have coffee, pick a bunch of roquette and eat it with the tin of KO skinless boneless the wife found when she was reorganizing the pantry

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ripen

ripen

r i p e n

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Got a smoker a couple weeks back so thawed a packet of smelt and gave em a shot

Meat was fantastic, bones soft, often when I panfry smelt I'll eat some of em whole and rip off the head/spine like a subzero fatality on others but in this case we didn't leave a scale behind.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Smelt it dealt it

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
What's the consensus here on canned mackerel fillets?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Captain Splendid posted:

I’ve had Bela and Trader Joe’s mackerel and both were great. I really like them.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Braving the COVID tomorrow to go to Ocean State Job Lot and peruse their canned fish supply.

In the grimdark present, there is only canned fish and affordable garden tools.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Captain Splendid posted:

KO Mackerel is really good

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

isaboo posted:

KO Mackerel is really good

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Triscuits have a new cheddar flavor. I do not recommend with fish

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Man, I would not do many flavored triscuits with fish. Plain, cracked pepper, and dill. That’s about it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I tried Rosemary & Garlic. No good.

Wanna try those cheddars own their own, tho

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 13, 2020

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
KO Mediterranean style mackerel rules

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I made this last night, it was v. good:

https://www.killingthyme.net/2020/05/27/lemon-pepper-pasta-with-king-oscar-sardines

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Made a salad with the King's very own mediterranean sardines, and used the oil to make a balsamic vinaigrette. This is what I would describe as A Very Pro Move

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

ArbitraryC posted:

Got a smoker a couple weeks back so thawed a packet of smelt and gave em a shot

Meat was fantastic, bones soft, often when I panfry smelt I'll eat some of em whole and rip off the head/spine like a subzero fatality on others but in this case we didn't leave a scale behind.

:nice:
I used my smoker yesterday for a dry-aged rib roast, but I think the next thing I'll smoke are some small fishes again. I did small mackerel before and they were :discourse: .

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/bN_AcKkQT8s

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Android Apocalypse posted:

:nice:
I used my smoker yesterday for a dry-aged rib roast, but I think the next thing I'll smoke are some small fishes again. I did small mackerel before and they were :discourse: .

It's been good for big fish too, I've done whole trout, sockeye fillets, and now smelt. Also of course done plenty of pork. I think one of these days I'll see if I can't pick up a whole salmon somewhere and just smoke the whole thing overnight, prolly will turn out great.

Small fish are :discourse: though cause you can literally just eat em whole. Great flavor, great texture. That pack had 15 fish, was like a pound and a half, and we just inhaled em for dinner (with some roasted veg).

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I had a leftover tin of fried dace in salted black bean chili sauce, so I figured out a way to use it with my zucchini noodles:

-Drain the sauce from the dace tin into a small container with the juice of 1 lime (zest said lime too while you're at it).
-Chop up dace & set aside (might as well put it back in the tin).
-Cook zucchini noodles in a pot of salted boiling water.
-While zoodles cook, sauté shallots, garlic, shishito peppers, and mushrooms in pan. Add blended bean sauce & dace.
-Add zoodles and cook for a couple more minutes before removing from heat. Top with shredded Parmesan cheese, lime zest, and parsley.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Corner store just got sardines back in stock for the first time in three months after almost going out of business

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Drunk fried tiny tots to put in 4am ramen. Woke up my wife with the smell. I have agreed that going forward, frying sardines is an "outside" culinary endeavor.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Can confirm that frying canned fishies requires incredibly good ventilation. I cooked up some cod liver & used its oil and boy howdy my house was stinky.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Cross-posting from the GBS Cursed Images Thread:

Inceltown posted:

Trigger warning: controversial opinion

Discuss.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I mean.....yeah? I'd give it a try.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

looks like kippers on a dorito, which is just a seasoned corn cracker. probably pretty tasty.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Would absolutely try, especially with Tapatio or Salsa Verde flavor.

\/\/\/ Yes.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 29, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If it was a Cool Ranch Doritos would we still be okay with this?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
You're mixing savoury with savoury either way

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Great, now I'm trying to imagine a sweet Doritos chip. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
sweet chili is the best doritos flavor and it has sweet right in the name :colbert: