Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

The UK get Heathrow airport and Ireland gets.... Donegal

:shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
O'Hare isn't included in the standard version? Oof.

So are the airports listed as released just more highly detailed? I thought they modeled almost every airport in the world.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Popete posted:

So are the airports listed as released just more highly detailed? I thought they modeled almost every airport in the world.

Yeah, that's my question too. If I were not to buy the premium addition, is there just a big, pixelated hole in the middle of Denver? Also, at the $120 price point and 150gb footprint, I'll probably watch and wait to see how release goes. Flight sim nerds are notoriously hard to please, so I can't wait to see the level of neurosis this will bring out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Popete posted:

O'Hare isn't included in the standard version? Oof.

They said there’s some hand built airports and some procedurally generated from maps.

What I want to know for the premium version is how DEN’s creepy horse statue looks.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

its looking like gamespass day one for me, for $1, where i will offering microsoft the opportunity to convince me to pay over $100 for dis poo poo

any word on whether you can upgrade the standard version later?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They'll need to demonstrate that the DLC planes are up to par with what you'd expect from top-tier third parties and get that spread around, I think.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

MikeJF posted:

They'll need to demonstrate that the DLC planes are up to par with what you'd expect from top-tier third parties and get that spread around, I think.

It'll be interesting to see if, after they made all those videos about laser scanning cockpits and recording exterior noises will 100 microphones, how much difference you'll be able to see from the 3rd party modelers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I have to say charging extra for analog gauges in the 172 is brilliant. I expect my dad to complain about that the next tome we talk. :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If they're smart they'll pick out some trusted (but not contrarian rear end in a top hat) youtubers or other community members and fold them into a release candidate preview with the DLC planes and have them give independent reviews of them during the time period where people can upgrade their preorders. If they're confident in their work, that is.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the lack of piper aircraft especially the pa-28 is disturbing to me

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ethanol posted:

the lack of piper aircraft especially the pa-28 is disturbing to me

I’m curious if they told Microsoft off or something.

Alternatively a product manager for MSFS had a bad experience with a piper and is getting his revenge.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I gotta say, I was expecting DLC planes but I wasn't expecting DLC airports, that kinda bugs me. I was expecting the world to be the world there.

Also, locking heathrow at the highest tier is a prime dick move.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I gotta say, I was expecting DLC planes but I wasn't expecting DLC airports, that kinda bugs me. I was expecting the world to be the world there.

Really it should’ve been
Standard: Stansted
Premium: Gatwick
Deluxe: Heathrow

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Yeah I think that's what bugs me the most. Paying to unlock airports feels weird and makes the base game feel incomplete.

If your cities airport happens to be in the higher tier you're just screwed unless you fork over the cash.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Gewehr 43 posted:

Also, at the $120 price point and 150gb footprint, I'll probably watch and wait to see how release goes.

Flight sim nerds are notoriously hard to please

great self own

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYqJALPVn0Y

Check out them flexing the flex at 43s. And drat, did they make the ocean waves even better, look at 24s?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Charitably, maybe not having the premium airport unlocked means you get the blah machine learning generated version instead of their hand crafted version?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

Charitably, maybe not having the premium airport unlocked means you get the blah machine learning generated version instead of their hand crafted version?

I want to say I explicitly heard this in one of the long dev videos but I’m really not certain at this point.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

"hey yeah i want this thing to look great, fsx blows and you have to download scenery and omg the frankeninstall and xplane sucks worse. the google earth tilesets run into terabytes in size there has to be a better way...

omg this sim looks great but 120gb install what the hell man i didn't want this"

"man, the stock planes on fsx blows. xplane is better but even then beyond ga it sucks. you have to pay so much for any decent planes.

10 additional planes for an average cost of 6 dollars per plane, including tube liners and biz jets, that's way too rich for my blood ugh i'm out"

i think this launch is going to be a disaster but y'all are impossible and it's so good

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

unrelated to flight sim 2020, I've been learning FMC/MCDU nav for the first time in xplane. The hardest step always seems to be selecting an arrival because I cant tell which transitions will load into the computer wihtout losing something like vnav altitudes. It's really hard to figure out the first transition way point without looking at each approach plate in simvector and finding its first waypoint. Is there an easier/faster way to figure out which star approach to select so you dont have to redo your flight plan 100 times?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yeah this is what it is, they even mention it in the FAQ:

quote:

Q: What airports come fully hand-crafted for each edition?
A: The following is a list of customized, hand-crafted airports that come with each edition below. There will be over 37,000 airports in the sim.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

The airports are still there, it's just the "premium" ones are hand crafted, pretty, shiny, etc.

It's not like you're going to go to KSFO on the standard edition and find a blank texture and no airport.

e:f,b

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ethanol posted:

unrelated to flight sim 2020, I've been learning FMC/MCDU nav for the first time in xplane. The hardest step always seems to be selecting an arrival because I cant tell which transitions will load into the computer wihtout losing something like vnav altitudes. It's really hard to figure out the first transition way point without loading each approach plate in simvector and finding its first waypoint. Is there an easier/faster way to figure out which star approach to select so you dont have to redo your flight plan 100 times?

use FlightAware to look up previous routes flown by actual aircraft and use that.

beyond that, most of the charts for the airport specify or show flows or at least what runways are in use for certain arrivals.

you really shouldn't be losing vnav altitudes though because it should be based on arrival so it can figure out your top of descent to hit restrictions based on the specific arrival and transition you choose, that sounds like questionable coding but I know boeing much better than airbus so maybe it's an airbus thing?

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Microsoft needs to put out a big release telling people in big flashing letters that the game still includes every airport and you just pay extra for more accurate versions. Like you do for flight sims.

Maybe if they sold them separately for 25$ a pop the flight sim community might be more comfortable?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

sellouts posted:

use FlightAware to look up previous routes flown by actual aircraft and use that.

beyond that, most of the charts for the airport specify or show flows or at least what runways are in use for certain arrivals.

you really shouldn't be losing vnav altitudes though because it should be based on arrival so it can figure out your top of descent to hit restrictions based on the specific arrival and transition you choose, that sounds like questionable coding but I know boeing much better than airbus so maybe it's an airbus thing?

its probably an xplane coding problem

thanks though, ill try flight aware. I've had it happen in the boeing as well

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JayKay posted:

It's not like you're going to go to KSFO on the standard edition and find a blank texture.

But you're missing the full microsoft flight sim experience if VATSIM doesn't clear you to land on a runway you don't have!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

it would be funny if they locked vr behind the premium tier

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ethanol posted:

its probably an xplane coding problem

thanks though, ill try flight aware. I've had it happen in the boeing as well

try like LAX - LAS, a short flight that there are a million records of, and I bet you'll nail down your workflow pretty easily.

peaware.com is good for searching city pairs within pilotedge network if you fly in the western us. it'll even show route popularity between 2 cities so you can see what real controllers tend to clear

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Google Butt posted:

it would be funny if they locked vr behind the premium tier

it would be funny if they locked vr behind a future update and then fired the team when the revenues for this thing suck because people are holding out over 120gb of install space

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

But you're missing the full microsoft flight sim experience if VATSIM doesn't clear you to land on a runway you don't have!

I expect the functional bits: runways, gates, etc - will be identically laid out, they'll just look autogenned.

Hopefully microsoft get bugged into releasing a comparison shot of one of them soon.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

sellouts posted:

try like LAX - LAS, a short flight that there are a million records of, and I bet you'll nail down your workflow pretty easily.

peaware.com is good for searching city pairs within pilotedge network if you fly in the western us. it'll even show route popularity between 2 cities so you can see what real controllers tend to clear

yeah the fmc works nice for the routes i know, its mainly about airports ive never been to

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

MikeJF posted:

Putting O'Hare, Heathrow, and Frankfurt at the $120 level is insane. I'm hoping the non-DLC versions will be okay. Or there's an opportunity to get them individually.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The biggest airports in the world will be functional in the basic level of the game. You'll be able to fly to and from them.

Heathrow scenery for P3D seems to be between 20-30EUR, so the price point seems to be pretty fair or even a bargain compared to other teams that had to do stuff manually?

It's Microsoft so maybe it is just higher resolution autogenerated poo poo but if they actually put real people and artists time into mapping them correctly and putting in details it's in line with the free market if not a bargain.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Billy Bishop is the Toronto airport they decided to model in detail, not Pearson?

That's an...odd choice. Especially since there's no flyable Dash-8/Q400.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I don't really care about the airports because my hometown (Detroit) isn't included at all.

But

quote:

ah poo poo the 787 is a premium plane... microsoft is checkmating me so hard rn

:same:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Billy Bishop is the Toronto airport they decided to model in detail, not Pearson?

That's an...odd choice. Especially since there's no flyable Dash-8/Q400.

I'm guessing its trying to create a Meigs field equivalent?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm in for the big package because I'm a huge sucker, but I can't wait for the laser scanned, 100 microphone 787 to have absolutely no systems modeled and the FMC replaced with a generic FS2020 G1000-alike. I'm not hoping for PMDG here, but I'll be surprised if we actually get even decent quality for tube liner systems.

Such is life in Flight Sim.

But also I'm only really in it for the Citation Longitude. It's me, the Business Jet Liker.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmm, the Deluxe edition mentions Schipol as handcrafted airport. It's currently not in the alpha, so I guess they're already gating content, or they've not yet started on it.

MikeJF posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYqJALPVn0Y

Check out them flexing the flex at 43s. And drat, did they make the ocean waves even better, look at 24s?
Dafuq? Where are those ocean waves?!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 13, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It seems likely that you'll be able to buy the planes and airports individually and it may well end up that it's cheaper to just buy one or two if you really want individual ones like the 787.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I sure hope I can re-use my current assets folder with the final release, so avoid another download.