Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Went to the gym (Illinois) this morning, its pretty big and pretty spaced out, but out of the 15 or so people in the weight area only myself and 2 others had masks on. Don't think I will be going that often until I finally find a god drat adjustable bench under $300 for my home gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I don't really understand feeling stuck indoors stir crazy when you can just go for long walks or ride your bike, both of which can be done socially distanced with friends and family too. Sure, it sucks hard not being able to go out on weekend brunch dates... but that can be done socially distanced in a park too.

Not to get too into my mom's health issues, but she can't really go for walks or ride bikes outside either. She was in a bad car accident about 20 years ago and has limited use of her legs, and they found out recently that one of her lungs is not working basically at all and that her heart is full of fluid. She's up for a heart and lung transplant, but at her age I don't think it's too likely. She can walk around, but only for about 5 minutes or so at a time, and then she gets winded and has to sit for a while to catch her breath. She had a wheelchair after the accident, but she got rid of it about 10-15 years ago. Honestly she should probably get a new one, but she doesn't have the money for it and I'm not sure if her insurance would cover it since technically she's capable of walking around. So really walking to a restaurant or theater or something from the car and back is about her limit. But you can see why I'm incredibly reluctant to take her out somewhere with all those issues.

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

By this time of year, I've usually had a few light days at work, where I just say gently caress it and take the afternoon off and go adventuring around the city for a few hours before heading home.

Right now, I really feel like I need to take a vacation of some kind, but I just don't want to get exposed to a bunch of randos. I don't even go anywhere, I just take a couple random days off and just do something out of the ordinary when there's no one out during the week.

Seriously. There's a fantastic zoo nearby that's free to go to, and I usually swing by about once a month or so to just get some fresh air and exercise and see the animals. I haven't been since last October and I miss it so much. And there was an aquarium that opened in December that I've been jonesing to go to, but I can't do that either. I don't even want to travel anywhere, I just love going out to zoos and parks and museums and stuff, but I can't trust other people to wear drat masks so I just sit at home and do virtual tours. It's not the same, but it helps some. I wish I hadn't sold my VR headset, but before all this it was just collecting dust.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Fenarisk posted:

Went to the gym (Illinois) this morning, its pretty big and pretty spaced out, but out of the 15 or so people in the weight area only myself and 2 others had masks on. Don't think I will be going that often until I finally find a god drat adjustable bench under $300 for my home gym.

With the heavy breathing you'd need to have a phenomenal ventilation system to make it safe.

Something like all windows open and an industrial strength fan directing a constant flow through the entire gym.

Having lots of space doesn't help you if the air is mostly standing.

Consider that choir performances in churches are a very popular roni-spreading excercise.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fenarisk posted:

Don't go to the gym please.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gym people once again proving to be the dumbest fucks on the planet.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Have mega churches been bankrupted yet?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

I don't really understand feeling stuck indoors stir crazy when you can just go for long walks or ride your bike, both of which can be done socially distanced with friends and family too. Sure, it sucks hard not being able to go out on weekend brunch dates... but that can be done socially distanced in a park too.

I'm an internet poisoned goon who spends all day online but even I couldn't handle level 4 lockdown here in New Zealand after a few weeks. I went for lots of walks during the first couple of weeks but eventually you just run out of places in your neighbourhood to walk to and all that's left is to so sit in your crappy apartment by yourself day in day out. I needed spaces to go to relax or do work, an office, a library, a cafe, anywhere that wasn't just the one place. It wasn't about the food or service, I just needed to be somewhere.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

They'll stay afloat due to their grifting, unfortunately.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Shaocaholica posted:

The opposite! They got bailed out to the tune of 1.4 billion because the financial burden of paying all their sexual assault pedo lawsuits was too much.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"Longer than you think, dad! Longer than you think!!"

*claws webcam to shreds*

:discourse:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I live in a large apartment building with busy common areas, and until very recently, no one was wearing masks in the hallways, elevators, stairwells, lobbies, garage, etc. Leaving my apartment always feels like walking into a landmine field. I wish I could just walk outside a front door and be outside, but it's not that simple.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I don't even understand how people can ENJOY going to a place like Disney world right now. Like just knowing there's a plague going on pretty much saps the fun out of everything. Any time I get any little bit of enjoyment it's always there in the back of mind reminding me that things are very much not ok in the world. So I don't know how people are going to an amusement park packed with people who I'm sure a good percentage of aren't wearing masks so you know it's risky (unless you're an absolute denier) and the employees are wearing masks so it adds that weird hospital vibe to it. I just don't get it, it sounds like the last place in the world any sane person would want to be.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There Bias Two posted:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shaocaholica posted:

One of the local megacurches near me got a 2-5 million dollar "loan" thanks to the paycheck protection poo poo

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I live in a large apartment building with busy common areas, and until very recently, no one was wearing masks in the hallways, elevators, stairwells, lobbies, garage, etc. Leaving my apartment always feels like walking into a landmine field. I wish I could just walk outside a front door and be outside, but it's not that simple.

Dang. That sucks and the people around you are dicks. I'm lucky because I live in an apartment with my own entrance, so it's never been an issue.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Shaocaholica posted:

You didn't hear? They all got "small business" loans. Meanwhile, our friends who actually own small businesses were denied.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

You didn't hear? They all got "small business" loans. Meanwhile, our friends who actually own small businesses were denied.

That's not true. Loan implies repayment.

They got free taxpayer money.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"Longer than you think, dad! Longer than you think!!"

*claws webcam to shreds*

I love you for this

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

I don't even understand how people can ENJOY going to a place like Disney world right now. Like just knowing there's a plague going on pretty much saps the fun out of everything. Any time I get any little bit of enjoyment it's always there in the back of mind reminding me that things are very much not ok in the world. So I don't know how people are going to an amusement park packed with people who I'm sure a good percentage of aren't wearing masks so you know it's risky (unless you're an absolute denier) and the employees are wearing masks so it adds that weird hospital vibe to it. I just don't get it, it sounds like the last place in the world any sane person would want to be.

I took a trip with one of my best friends the weekend before poo poo got real and states started announcing lockdowns, and it was almost impossible for us to relax and fully enjoy ourselves. It's an annual tradition for us that involves a lot of brewery hopping and good food and just being kinda silly and drunk for most of the weekend, and I literally don't think either of us even got a buzz on. We just sort of quietly went about our business and left town earlier than usual, because things felt too off and uncertain and foreboding. And that, of course, was when we didn't even know how bad it actually was, and how bad it would get. Literally can't imagine hitting up a place like Disney World right now.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Beartaco posted:

I'm an internet poisoned goon who spends all day online but even I couldn't handle level 4 lockdown here in New Zealand after a few weeks. I went for lots of walks during the first couple of weeks but eventually you just run out of places in your neighbourhood to walk to and all that's left is to so sit in your crappy apartment by yourself day in day out. I needed spaces to go to relax or do work, an office, a library, a cafe, anywhere that wasn't just the one place. It wasn't about the food or service, I just needed to be somewhere.

I feel that, and just today several of my friends have said the same thing too. Definitely starting to unmoor from reality a bit at this point.

With that said, and even with all the pubs and restaurants and non-essential shops open here, going out is not an option I am ever going to be willing to take.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://overcast.fm/+spr4K0

The Joe Rogan Experience podcast

I’ve been trying to pinpoint when exactly Joe went from “holy poo poo are we all gonna die we need to take this srsly” interviewing virologists and guys who had Covid, to “R Freedoms” and I think it was this 2nd week of May, perhaps this episode

About 1 hour in his super dumb friends begin saying we can’t hide forever, life’s a risk bro, Trump is the greatest president, they are on Team Freedom, they love how Trump attacks the fake news, if the election was today they’d vote for Trump not Hillary, Elon Musk did not really send a car into space, a lot of old people die because of the flu every year and we don’t care anyway so why should we care about it, Bruce Lee doing 2 finger pushups, you guys don’t follow Donald Trump Jr?? He’s so gangster he’s a loving beast! Biden has no chance etc etc etc

As dumb as Joe is (I used to like him, now I mostly listen because he interviews interesting people) his friends are *criminally* dumb and ignorant, and Eddie Bravo is a full on conspiracy theorist that is actively harming society

They usually talk fights, their jobs revolve around MMA and they still get fight predictions wrong all the time too lol, they’re insanely dumb

Anyway my conclusion is his friends turned him from “boy we better be careful” into “Imma go to Texas and do a show in the middle of the plague”

Also he’s shilling his supplements hard against Covid

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Dang. That sucks and the people around you are dicks. I'm lucky because I live in an apartment with my own entrance, so it's never been an issue.

Thankfully since the state has a mask mandate now it's been better the last couple of weeks, but I ended up buying folding cardio equipment and adjustable dumbbells for exercise because of it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

RumbleFish posted:

I took a trip with one of my best friends the weekend before poo poo got real and states started announcing lockdowns, and it was almost impossible for us to relax and fully enjoy ourselves. It's an annual tradition for us that involves a lot of brewery hopping and good food and just being kinda silly and drunk for most of the weekend, and I literally don't think either of us even got a buzz on. We just sort of quietly went about our business and left town earlier than usual, because things felt too off and uncertain and foreboding. And that, of course, was when we didn't even know how bad it actually was, and how bad it would get. Literally can't imagine hitting up a place like Disney World right now.

My wife and I and another couple did an Escape Room in mid-March. They sanitized the hell out of the place (one puzzle used a rubber ball and you could still squeeze sanitizer out of it) and we still felt weird about going. That was our last big outing, I think PA's lockdown started 2 weeks later. We would normally get dinner or something after that, but we were all like "Eh, let's go home." Of course, we have some basic empathy towards other human beings and realized that we could easily be getting others sick by our presence.

I feel bad going to the freaking grocery store for that same reason. My wife and I would, god willing, probably survive corona. But if I gave it to some old person, or somebody with cancer or something? Holy poo poo, how the hell could I live with myself?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

There Bias Two posted:

A friend of a friend of mine died, and he was pretty sure that's where he caught it. He was 38, in good physical condition, and just started feeling "off"... after calling a Teladoc who set him up for a test, he said he figured it was probably positive and his lungs felt like crap, but he was staying optimistic. And then he died before the positive result came back. :( Don't go to the gym, for the love of Christ.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://overcast.fm/+spr4K0

The Joe Rogan Experience podcast

I’ve been trying to pinpoint when exactly Joe went from “holy poo poo are we all gonna die we need to take this srsly” interviewing virologists and guys who had Covid, to “R Freedoms” and I think it was this 2nd week of May, perhaps this episode

About 1 hour in his super dumb friends begin saying we can’t hide forever, life’s a risk bro, Trump is the greatest president, they are on Team Freedom, they love how Trump attacks the fake news, if the election was today they’d vote for Trump not Hillary, Elon Musk did not really send a car into space, a lot of old people die because of the flu every year and we don’t care anyway so why should we care about it, Bruce Lee doing 2 finger pushups, you guys don’t follow Donald Trump Jr?? He’s so gangster he’s a loving beast! Biden has no chance etc etc etc

As dumb as Joe is (I used to like him, now I mostly listen because he interviews interesting people) his friends are *criminally* dumb and ignorant, and Eddie Bravo is a full on conspiracy theorist that is actively harming society

They usually talk fights, their jobs revolve around MMA and they still get fight predictions wrong all the time too lol, they’re insanely dumb

Anyway my conclusion is his friends turned him from “boy we better be careful” into “Imma go to Texas and do a show in the middle of the plague”

Also he’s shilling his supplements hard against Covid

It seems to depend entirely on who he is talking to on the show. He just acts as a sounding board for all of them. This is a guy who has had Bernie Sanders, Jon Stewart, and Alex Jones on the show and got on with all of them just fine.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

My wife and I and another couple did an Escape Room in mid-March. They sanitized the hell out of the place (one puzzle used a rubber ball and you could still squeeze sanitizer out of it) and we still felt weird about going. That was our last big outing, I think PA's lockdown started 2 weeks later. We would normally get dinner or something after that, but we were all like "Eh, let's go home." Of course, we have some basic empathy towards other human beings and realized that we could easily be getting others sick by our presence.

I feel bad going to the freaking grocery store for that same reason. My wife and I would, god willing, probably survive corona. But if I gave it to some old person, or somebody with cancer or something? Holy poo poo, how the hell could I live with myself?

heymanyoujustgottaliveyourlifenaditstimetogetbackoutthereandthecureisworsethanthediseaseanditisntevenreallythatbad

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Charliegrs posted:

Operative words there.

Earlier in the thread someone pointed out that Disney could have someone at the gate whose job it is to fatally stab 1% of people coming in, and folks would still be going there.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

if you read the comments from the people at the parks they are about 90% OH MY GOD DISNEY THIS IS SO GREAT FIVE MINUTE WAITS FOR THE BEST RIDES CAN WE JUST HAVE IT BE LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME

guillotine

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

boar guy posted:

if you read the comments from the people at the parks they are about 90% OH MY GOD DISNEY THIS IS SO GREAT FIVE MINUTE WAITS FOR THE BEST RIDES CAN WE JUST HAVE IT BE LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME

guillotine

This isn't good cuz then you dont have people getting concessions while they wait which is where all the money is.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't really see how it's shocking that very dumb people have no problems with going to Disney World when the same types of people crowd the beaches in Florida every weekend and infect each other with the virus like a carousel.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Philthy posted:

This isn't good cuz then you dont have people getting concessions while they wait which is where all the money is.

if they can only have 1/5th the capacity of the park, eventually they will just charge 5x as much for tickets, and people will pay it, too

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Joe Rogan is what happens when an MMA guy thinks he's smart.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

A friend of a friend of mine died, and he was pretty sure that's where he caught it. He was 38, in good physical condition, and just started feeling "off"... after calling a Teladoc who set him up for a test, he said he figured it was probably positive and his lungs felt like crap, but he was staying optimistic. And then he died before the positive result came back. :( Don't go to the gym, for the love of Christ.

This is where I'm torn. Im slowly building up a home gym as much as I can, but I need to regularly be doing strength training for my work and to prevent flare ups of previous back issues which have gotten bad the past few months of no gym availability.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

not gonna lie I'd pay a premium for Disney World without crowds or lines, in a hypothetical world where it's safe (it's not)

I always liked that Universal has a pay to win type of pass that lets you skip lines. it's expensive but so is getting there in the first place.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

smoobles posted:

That's not true. Loan implies repayment.

They got free taxpayer money.

Isn't there a law against government giving a religious org money other than tax breaks? I know there's some degrees of separation here with the bank in the middle. Just tell chuds the government is giving money to jews and islams and they'll stop that right quick.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s because:

-Our rulers do what they want.
-That’s about it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Isn't there a law against government giving a religious org money other than tax breaks? I know there's some degrees of separation here with the bank in the middle. Just tell chuds the government is giving money to jews and islams and they'll stop that right quick.*

*Don't give them ideas. They aren't good with ideas.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Charliegrs posted:

Joe Rogan is what happens when an MMA guy drug addict thinks he's smart.

I think it's the constant drug use that is messing with his brain more so than the other stuff.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Beartaco posted:

I'm on day 128 of doing this totally alone and it really sucks. Living in a dense urban place means there's no scenic walks, just laps around blocks where I need to duck people. I think I'm handling it as best as possible but I feel super trapped and I don't know how I can do another 4-6 months of this after the first 4 other then "you don't have a choice". I bounce between being jealous of people isolating with others and being thankful I don't have to deal with anyone elses bullshit on top of my own right now.

I don't have any mental health issues (i know, shocker) but I don't see how hundreds more days of isolation won't turn me full jack torrance. I'm also so incredibly sick of video chatting, it's not a substitute for anything.

/rant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

buffbus posted:

It seems to depend entirely on who he is talking to on the show. He just acts as a sounding board for all of them. This is a guy who has had Bernie Sanders, Jon Stewart, and Alex Jones on the show and got on with all of them just fine.

He's also best friends with Duncan Trussell, who feels eternally as if he's one bad/good day from joining the Hare Krishnas

His entire thing is just letting basically anyone come on to smoke a blunt and talk about whatever bullshit they're into for 2-3 hours, and goons absolutely cannot deal since they have no concept of not getting visibly upset about Eddie Bravo thinking the Earth is hollow (although you should definitely pick and choose your episodes)