Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Rustybear posted:

everyone's geared up to the eyeballs in credit. I went to buy a mattress a few weeks back and the mattress place has transitioning away from the boring and less profitable business of selling mattresses and into the exciting and probably highly profitable world of mattress-related usury. i know people who've bought tattoos through credit financing recently.

even a modest raise would wipe all these people and business out

KPMG analysts looked at UK listed firms last year and around 8% of them were zombies who were only still going because of how cheap credit was available for them to keep rolling over debt without ever being free from it. Add in the pandemic hit and the underlying recession adding more debts everywhere and nothing would survive even mild increases.

It's absolutely certain that some major part of society is going to seize up and break because of it, and it's now all trying to organise around being able to take advantage of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Rustybear posted:

i know people who've bought tattoos through credit financing recently.

I do not want to know what the repo man does in this situation.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

namesake posted:

KPMG analysts looked at UK listed firms last year and around 8% of them were zombies who were only still going because of how cheap credit was available for them to keep rolling over debt without ever being free from it. Add in the pandemic hit and the underlying recession adding more debts everywhere and nothing would survive even mild increases.

It's absolutely certain that some major part of society is going to seize up and break because of it, and it's now all trying to organise around being able to take advantage of it.

Oh yeah, any Govt that lets the housing market/credit economy collapse is going to be a party of pariahs in quicktime.
Until the right-wing press manage to find a way to blame it all on immigrants and the Labour Left.

So they're desperately digging to get other parts of the economy working so they've got something they can point to as their sandcastle crumbles: "Look, [insert barely functional sector of the economy, probably arms sales] is doing really well!"

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Even ignoring the debt laden situation the country is in, we've barely been managing meagre nominal GDP increases.

The BoE hasn't increased rates because inflation is within their target levels and increasing the rates would tank any economic growth, which would mean number not go up, and we can't have that.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Umbra Dubium posted:

the name of the firm, without a hint of irony, was 'No Regrets Financing'; the sheer brass neck of that is staggering.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Umbra Dubium posted:

It'll cost you an arm and a leg.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mehall posted:

Even ignoring the debt laden situation the country is in, we've barely been managing meagre nominal GDP increases.

The BoE hasn't increased rates because inflation is within their target levels and increasing the rates would tank any economic growth, which would mean number not go up, and we can't have that.

One day society will get over the obsession with eternal growth & I sure hope it's in my lifetime.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-53381699

Yes! That old covids is no match for our um..

treyactors and...

big drums :/

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
As a nominally republican Irishman, I love the Big Drum and the Big Men that wield it, it owns

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I haven't heard any drums in Glasgow for the first time since I moved here, love it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I have always wondered if they get the very fat neck from wielding the big drum, or if they get to wield the big drum because they have the very fat neck :thunk:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I saw a pic earlier with more Liverpool kits in it than Rangers, games gone

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Loving this surge of Amazon ads on the telly which are all saying 'look at all our lovely sweat shops, it's an honour to work here and an honour to work for Amazon!'

Surely literally anyone can see that this is a case of the evil billionaire doth protest too much?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I got a kitten. He is beautiful.

He saw me on the laptop and tried to pat someone's jammy bastard tag, which I'm taking as a sign he's a comrade.

ty for coming to my cat talk.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Hang on, did we waste 10 billion on track and trace and end up with paper notes on the honour system?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I think the spend is something like a third of a million pounds per person traced so far.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

working as intended. Aim is to pass state money to pals of the Tories.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

This was originally posted the middle of June but its the summer thread, weeee

quote:

Coronavirus immunity may only last a few months, study suggests

Antibodies decreased 23-fold in some cases, and were depleted entirely in others

Immunity to coronavirus in recovered patients may only last a few months, a new study suggests.

According to the research from King's College London, immunity antibodies decrease significantly in the three months following infection, leaving patients susceptible to reinfection year after year – similar to the common cold.

In what is believed to be the first longitudinal study of its kind, researchers looked into the immune response of 90 patients and healthcare workers at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Trust.

While the analysis revealed a "potent" level of antibodies could be found in 60 per cent of participants while at the peak of their battle with coronavirus, sequential blood tests showed only 17 per cent sustained that same level of potency three months later.

After suspecting I had it in March, and now have a new job in Bradford, I get to share infection anxiety with you. Especially various people I work with complaining a lot about headaches and being unable to concentrate on anything*, I'm concerned I'm in a coronavirus bath.

*I'm a little unsure if the long-lasting mental symptoms of coronavirus are due to coronavirus or just a national malaise after dicking about for 3 months and realising their jobs are pointless, though I'd err on the side of it being a real thing and my brain will turn to soup or some sort of thin paté

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Carecat posted:

Hang on, did we waste 10 billion on track and trace and end up with paper notes on the honour system?

What's that? What was the estimated cost of the 'crazed communist scheme' to provide free fibre broadband to the entire country up to 2030 you ask? 20 billion.

Personally I'm glad we saved our pennies for a rainy day when we needed them instead of spunking it all on free broadband.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Who remembers "Dr" Gillian McKeith? She was forced to drop the Dr after some journalist in the days when they used to do investigations got his pet cat a PhD from the same 'university'.

About 6 years ago I was doing a biological sciences degree and driving taxis, and got sent to pickup Gillian McKeith and her odious ratbag family. Didn't have any idea it was her I was picking up [McKeith's a common enough name in Scotland] and they all got in and were cheery enough in their gruesome manner. We got about two miles - her idiot daughter lecturing me about "natural" vs "saccharide" sugars the entire way - and suddenly they all went very frosty and quiet, and her husband asked me why I had a copy of Bad Science on the little overhead shelf. I said it was on the recommended reading list for my degree, and asked if he'd read it. He goes "No, and you shouldn't either, it's a terrible book" and I go "Uh...okay?" and we go the rest of the journey in total, stony silence. When they got out her arsehole husband, Hooooowwwiiiiiiee, told me I "got some attitude", then flounced. I drive off, totally baffled by this.

Twenty later, I get a message on the pod to come in to the office. I go, and the taxi firm's owner, totally perplexed, asks me what the gently caress I'd done to upset Gillian McKeith. As soon as I'd driven off she'd left multiple vituperative voicemails on his personal mobile, and went apeshit at the daytime office girl so hard she cried. I go "Uh I dunno, she seemed fine until she saw my book, then everyone went a bit frosty". I bring it in, and we skim through it and of course lol entire chapter about Perth's very own mumbo jumbo jobby jumbler.

"Ah, dinnae worry it, she's a loving bam anyway. Could dae withoot her custom, to be honest".

Anyway a week or so later I got drunk and emailed Dr. Goldacre about it, and he replied as follows:

quote:

haha that's truly lovely. ha. i feel kind of sad that i can't share it.

So yes, I very much remember "Dr" Gillian McKeith. She still glares at me if our paths cross, lol.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

justcola posted:

This was originally posted the middle of June but its the summer thread, weeee

After suspecting I had it in March, and now have a new job in Bradford, I get to share infection anxiety with you. Especially various people I work with complaining a lot about headaches and being unable to concentrate on anything*, I'm concerned I'm in a coronavirus bath.

*I'm a little unsure if the long-lasting mental symptoms of coronavirus are due to coronavirus or just a national malaise after dicking about for 3 months and realising their jobs are pointless, though I'd err on the side of it being a real thing and my brain will turn to soup or some sort of thin paté

Don't panic yet. I'm reading the study now but from an initial skim it doesn't seem to be anything too out of the ordinary/unexpected. Antibodies decline after infection this is normal and while this decline is steeper than expected in some patients (of only 65 studied) the majority exhibited strong responses three months after initial infection.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.09.20148429v1.full.pdf

^^Full text if anyone wants to read it.

[e] There seems to be a suggestion in the study that some people with mild cases had minimal Ab titres after ~60 days which is mildly concerning.

[e2] No evidence at all for antibody dependent enhancement thank loving god.

Saros fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 13, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Lordy, lord, they're still out there: friend posted negative article about Hancock on his fb. Someone on his friends jumped to defend "Boris and Matt are doing their best, hats off to them, how anyone has the nerve to criticize" blah blah blah.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/HunterJCullen/status/1282671962351861760?s=19

Yaaaaaaassssss qweeeeenn you sell out your fellow child abusers.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Camrath surfaces on Twitter via the GBS cameo thread

https://twitter.com/nickciarelli/status/1092529105973665793?s=19

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
louder for y'all at the back

👏more 👋female 👏sex 👋 traffickers 👏

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Am I alone in finding people who use 'y'all' to affect some folksy authenticity some of the most irritating people on the planet?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ThomasPaine posted:

Am I alone in finding people who use 'y'all' to affect some folksy authenticity some of the most irritating people on the planet?

you're american it seems

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I like saying y'all :grin:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i say youse like a normal northerner

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thou is the singular, you is the plural.

except jimmy savile. and that ripper bloke.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Yeah different places have collective yous that were in use long before being a bumpkin was fashionable. In NI we have the yiz and alla yiz

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm impressed that a take can still make me this angry. Good work Hunter.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I know lots of dialects have contractions like this and I know some of them use 'y'all' particularly in the southern US and in AAVE, but I'm not referring to those people using them day to day. There are 100% people who use this language when posting online who would absolutely not naturally do so when speaking IRL and it's kinda obvious why they do it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there's an endless parade of libs who breathlessly tweet out that this will be the thing that finally brings Trump down every time a new scandal breaks

and guess what, it never loving is but they don't learn, ever

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Gonzo McFee posted:

If Ghislaine goes nuclear on the network then I'm only slightly barely ironically Jon Snow in Season 8 levels of she is my queen, that would be loving incredible.

ThomasPaine posted:

You're allowed to do a little bit of blackface, if you're on the left. Just a touch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'd rather it had happened a couple of months down the line, when it's too late for the GOP to replace Trump and it will be fresh in everyone's mind. But I'll settle.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'm enjoying the very pot calling the kettle black articles about the polish elections.

Like fuckers did you forget who's running the country and who you're supporting as much as you can get away with.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 13, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In international child abuse conspiracy news, https://apnews.com/dab8261c68c93f24c0bfc1876518b3f6

quote:

The U.S. Roman Catholic Church used a special and unprecedented exemption from federal rules to amass at least $1.4 billion in taxpayer-backed coronavirus aid, with many millions going to dioceses that have paid huge settlements or sought bankruptcy protection because of clergy sexual abuse cover-ups.

So the federal government will use public money because the church lost all their own money because they were covering up noncing. :catstare:

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Jose posted:

i know we've all joked that he's a tory at some point but ffs

https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1282634691707838464?s=20

Stance, check. Glasses temporarily held away from face, check. Eugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

crispix posted:

In NI we have the yiz and alla yiz

Pretty sure this is a 70s prog rock group and their 90s tribute act?