Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
thinking about pulling the trigger on a ducky one 2 mini bon voyage (w/ silent red switches). i currently use mk night typist w/ silent red switches but i've been wanting a 60 w/ a lighter color in general and i'm in love with that bon voyage color scheme.

i'm kind of confused by the ordering system though and when i would even possibly receive something that is on pre-order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Forgot this was happening today, Pikatea group buy round 2 just went live for anyone looking for a macropad with a knob.

https://www.pikatea.com/products/pikatea-macropad-gb2

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

loving hell.

First I wanted that numpad, then I saw the price.

Next I wanted that macro pad, then I saw the price.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Anyone have a quick gut check on Keychron as a company? This keyboard looks perfect: https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k6-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?variant=31440990044249

I've assembled a, uh, "standing desk" at home, out of cardboard boxes on top of a sturdy dresser, since Covid WFH purchases have destroyed the stock of every standing desk manufacturer (and doubled the lead times on ones that were already made-to-order). As part of this I've been using a Logitech K380, which is a goofy-looking but surprisingly usable mini keyboard, but I have been missing the clicky-clack. I need wireless due to the extremely small space constraints (literally do not have the room for a wired plug coming out the back of the keyboard), plus I've started using my iPad as a "second screen," and having the Bluetooth connection to multiple devices means I can swap to it quickly. I think this keyboard is literally the only game in town for these constraints - and the layout looks wonderful compared to every compact keyboard I've seen in the past; it's the first compact with arrow keys I've ever seen that made space for a real right-side shift key and a proper backslash - so I'm gonna go ahead and slam order unless anyone has had bad experiences with the company.

If anyone else knows of a keyboard with a similar layout and wireless setup, let me know. It's been tricky to Google since "mechanical keyboard bluetooth switcher" just comes up with results for mechanical keyboards with bluetooth that list their switches :v:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 11, 2020

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

abraham linksys posted:

Anyone have a quick gut check on Keychron as a company? This keyboard looks perfect: https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k6-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?variant=31440990044249

I've assembled a, uh, "standing desk" at home, out of cardboard boxes on top of a sturdy dresser, since Covid WFH purchases have destroyed the stock of every standing desk manufacturer (and doubled the lead times on ones that were already made-to-order). As part of this I've been using a Logitech K380, which is a goofy-looking but surprisingly usable mini keyboard, but I have been missing the clicky-clack. I need wireless due to the extremely small space constraints (literally do not have the room for a wired plug coming out the back of the keyboard), plus I've started using my iPad as a "second screen," and having the Bluetooth connection to multiple devices means I can swap to it quickly. I think this keyboard is literally the only game in town for these constraints - and the layout looks wonderful compared to every compact keyboard I've seen in the past; it's the first compact with arrow keys I've ever seen that made space for a real right-side shift key and a proper backslash - so I'm gonna go ahead and slam order unless anyone has had bad experiences with the company.

If anyone else knows of a keyboard with a similar layout and wireless setup, let me know. It's been tricky to Google since "mechanical keyboard bluetooth switcher" just comes up with results for mechanical keyboards with bluetooth that list their switches :v:

Keychron is fine. I have the K6 and K4. My biggest complaint was the spacebar on the K4 was the worst sounding spacebar I've ever encountered but I injected some lube down into it and it sounds fine now.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Glad to know that there isn't some magically better solution for keycap storage than my go-to of ziplocs in ziplocs, haha!

I just got a K4 for my partner to use with his work Mac and it's working great so far. Feels pretty light (I prefer some heft), but for something intended to be portable, that's not a downside, plus you can get an aluminum frame for a bit more. I hate the keycap color combo but that's obviously super easy to change.

Also not sure if that one's the same, but in case it's relevant, the K4's USB plug is on the side, not the back.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 12, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Lord Stimperor posted:

loving hell.

First I wanted that numpad, then I saw the price.

Next I wanted that macro pad, then I saw the price.

Yeah that was yeotch.
This is coming from someone who has bought $600 worth of keyboard poo poo in the last month and is contemplating the GMK Hammerhead GB just because he found out the Artisan isn't going to be like $120 (its only $40).

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Found one of my old mech keyboards at work under a pile of stuff in a storage cupboard

Is a weird "gaming" keyboard made by Ozone. Has mx blacks on it and shockingly has a standard bottom row.

And now im tempted to pull the trigger on gmk laser as I regret selling my R1 kit of it...even though I made beaucoup profit on it.

Also I really wish Drop would make an iso version of the Ctrl....

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

abraham linksys posted:

The gateron switches are okay but I far far prefer real cherrys. THe LK optical ones are trash. I got 2 Akko 3084s that blow the Keychron out of the water but of course for $125.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sorbothane might help but it's a bitch to work with and I'm not sure I'll be able to cut it that small.

I have the sound deadening mat and used it on another keyboard with great success. But that one has the top plate screwed to the case separately so it's already well supported.
I do not think it would be a good application for this because that stuff is soft and squishy and full of TAR. If the plate has any give to it, it will squish the tar out of the mat and stick to the surrounding switches.

I saw this while poking through KBDFans, I think its new? Didn't see the last time I was looking.

https://kbdfans.com/collections/keyboard-foam/products/kbdfans-module-foam

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

.Z. posted:

I saw this while poking through KBDFans, I think its new? Didn't see the last time I was looking.

https://kbdfans.com/collections/keyboard-foam/products/kbdfans-module-foam

Holy poo poo it must be new because I didn't see it when I ordered the kit.
Thank you, that looks pretty great!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
So I went ahead and put the kit together. Threw on some crappy keycaps I got from a goodwill find keeb and that's when I realized that 2 of the LEDs are upside down and are mounted above the switch to allow space for the USB-C connector.

https://i.imgur.com/pwMVxiQ.mp4

IT IS SO ANNOYING that 2 of them actually shine through and none of the rest do. I just picked up that shine through set from Massdrop too and I'm sure it's going to do the same thing.
The only acceptable answer to this is to of course get a set of front lettered kecaps but the last time I ordered some from Alibaba they wound up being ABS and I've already worn through a bunch of keys.

Any reputable vendors out there for a set of side lit shine through doubleshot PBT caps? I found a set on amazon but have no idea how good they are and I'm not terribly fond of the font either. https://www.amazon.com/Side-lit-Through-Translucent-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B07BT6YT3B
These look pretty good though: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-white-Cherry-Profile-Side-printed-Double-Shot-PBT-Keycap-Shine-Through-/223519248489 but it's eBay from China so idk how that will turn out...

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Other than Vortex and TaiHao, almost every other shinethrough/translucent keycap set out there is garbage tier, really.

Horrible idea, but I guess you could dull out the RGB on those 2 keys using tape or something.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Constellation I posted:

Other than Vortex and TaiHao, almost every other shinethrough/translucent keycap set out there is garbage tier, really.

Horrible idea, but I guess you could dull out the RGB on those 2 keys using tape or something.

Well that sucks.
The shine through keycaps that cam on my Durgod keebs are actually fantastic but I don't know who makes them, and they're not side legends.

I guess I'm not SUPER worried about it since eventually this thing won't be wearing shine throughs anyway. It's just really obnoxious.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well that sucks.
The shine through keycaps that cam on my Durgod keebs are actually fantastic but I don't know who makes them, and they're not side legends.

I guess I'm not SUPER worried about it since eventually this thing won't be wearing shine throughs anyway. It's just really obnoxious.

Disable the RGB for now? Or just turn the brightness down so it'll be less obvious?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Constellation I posted:

The set that comes on the MD Ctrl, Alt are actually really good.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Pretty sure those are made by TaiHao, which is probably why.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was looking for a blank key cap set, any recommendations?

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

SalTheBard posted:

I was looking for a blank key cap set, any recommendations?

pimpmykeyboard sells blank key cap sets with a wide variety of colors: https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-pbt-abs-blank-keysets/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Welp I just realized one of the drawbacks of VIA (and probably QMK as well) is you need to have multiple keys dedicated to layers whether it be for Toggle/Momentary/whatever.
Sorta sucks on a 60% but maybe I can get around it by programming one button to switch to the next higher layer, in each layer. It's gonna have to suck to cycle through all my layers every time I need to Ctrl+Alt+Del though.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Welp I just realized one of the drawbacks of VIA (and probably QMK as well) is you need to have multiple keys dedicated to layers whether it be for Toggle/Momentary/whatever.
Sorta sucks on a 60% but maybe I can get around it by programming one button to switch to the next higher layer, in each layer. It's gonna have to suck to cycle through all my layers every time I need to Ctrl+Alt+Del though.

I don't know about VIA, but Ctrl+Alt+Del is not terribly difficult on my QMK-powered 60%. I use Fn+Backspace for Del, so I just have to hit Ctrl+Alt+Fn+Backspace. The Fn layer has KC_TRANS (="transparent" key code) defined for Ctrl and Alt, so the actual key code "falls through" the Fn layer to the base layer, allowing me to still use Ctrl and Alt on the Fn layer. I can't imagine that VIA would be incapable of doing the same.

What do you have to do now to do Ctrl+Alt+Del?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I don't know about VIA, but Ctrl+Alt+Del is not terribly difficult on my QMK-powered 60%. I use Fn+Backspace for Del, so I just have to hit Ctrl+Alt+Fn+Backspace. The Fn layer has KC_TRANS (="transparent" key code) defined for Ctrl and Alt, so the actual key code "falls through" the Fn layer to the base layer, allowing me to still use Ctrl and Alt on the Fn layer. I can't imagine that VIA would be incapable of doing the same.

What do you have to do now to do Ctrl+Alt+Del?

Passthrough Ctrl+alt from layer 0 to layer 1
So I just toggle to layer 1 and then Ctrl+alt+backspace.
Layer 2 is all RGB effects controls

I'm probably just going to switch to using the QMK online configurator.

e: actually I'm gonna just add a KC_Transparent "Any" key and re-do my layers. That should allow me quick access to layer 1 from layer 0 without having to switch.
I'll keep my "next layer" button though for cycling through layers. There's only 3 so it's not so bad.

double edit: that didn't work quite the way I was hoping. It's just the passthrough command for a key to use the next layer function on a button that would otherwise be blank.
I just added fn1 to engage layer 1 when held on 0 and that's pretty okay. It's no faster than cycling to layer 1 and using all the keys that are just passed through but saves me the trouble of having to cycle back to 0.

How the gently caress do these guys with 40% boards actually do this poo poo? My God!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 14, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

How the gently caress do these guys with 40% boards actually do this poo poo? My God!

Stubbornness would be my guess. A lot of "IM GOING TO LEARN HOW TO USE THIS BECAUSE OTHERWISE IM WRONG ABOUT SMALL FORM FACTOR KEYBOARDS"

"Now how do I make a backslash again? Oh yes, Ctrl, left shift, FN, alt, ESC.....nope that's backtick, gently caress where's my layout sheet. This keyboard is GREAT!!!"

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Honestly 65% seems like the ideal form factor, but it's so much easier to get parts for 60%

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I guess that is the popular opinion these days. I see a bunch of different 65% keyboards out there, and it seems like every month there's a group buy for a new one.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

65% or TKL are my favourite layouts.

I really wish Drop would do an ISO version of the CTRL

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Give me full size or larger for sure. I hate these micro keyboards.

Next one im getting is this: https://www.amazon.com/EPOMAKER-Mec...t-items&sr=1-38

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I've never seen anyone else use my layout and I think it's the best: https://i.imgur.com/ZGNkDHP.jpg

Fits standard 60% stuff, has arrows and del on the main layer, doesn't have that bullshit 1u right shift, and doesn't trigger my neurosis with any nonstaggered keys.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
After almost 2 months my Mecha Mini should be delivered today. UPS was being very strange with it for 2 days they kept transferring the package between Roanoke and Richmond VA ( At least 5 trips between the two places). I guess also at the end of the month my Drop CTRL High Profile should be getting shipped as well.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I've been using this guy for the past few months that I bought from a goon. I've gotten pretty well suited to it. the best is being able to use the arrow keys without moving my hands. worst is needing to type lots of numbers which makes me wanna get a separate numpad but the ducky one is way too expensive for me

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
The point of a tiny keyboard like a planck is to have everything within easy reach, and to program it however you want. The default layout is pretty good. At most you are pressing one layer key to get to any key on a normal board. If there is some combo you press all the time, just program that in.

Nobody honest man needs 12 F keys.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nondescript Van posted:

The point of a tiny keyboard like a planck is to have everything within easy reach, and to program it however you want. The default layout is pretty good. At most you are pressing one layer key to get to any key on a normal board. If there is some combo you press all the time, just program that in.

Nobody honest man needs 12 F keys.

Ill take those 12 F keys and 12 more man. I have no idea why you would say that.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

redeyes posted:

Ill take those 12 F keys and 12 more man. I have no idea why you would say that.

G keys :eng101:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
mini layouts are weird to me because I feel like everyone has some weird keys they rely on.

for example, I write JavaScript for my day job, which means I am constantly using backticks for strings. most compact keyboards eschew a backtick/tilde key or combine it with Esc. I'm actually getting that Keychron K6 which does this, but my plan is to rebind Esc as backtick and set up Caps Lock as a combined Ctrl (hold)/Esc (press). which, actually, I should double check to make sure Karabiner works with MacOS Catalina...

and that's still a mostly normal layout; when I see some of the mini layouts in here that cram every non-alphanumeric key into a separate layer, it hurts my brain. finally, the experience of using a weird touch screen keyboard layout, now in physical form!

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 14, 2020

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

internet celebrity posted:

I've never seen anyone else use my layout and I think it's the best: https://i.imgur.com/ZGNkDHP.jpg

Fits standard 60% stuff, has arrows and del on the main layer, doesn't have that bullshit 1u right shift, and doesn't trigger my neurosis with any nonstaggered keys.

Yeah, I can see how that split backspace style could work. I personally have an issue with 1u Backspace due to having what I believe is technically called "stupid fingers".

That said, I think the split spacebar works best for me. It lets me use my left thumb for something (I hit space with right thumb), and I've mapped the navigation cluster on the Fn layer around ESDF (and also around IJKL for random hand-switching capability) so I can use arrows without moving my hands. 90% of what I need is within reach of home-row position, thanks to the Fn thumb key.

Other fun functions, like print screen, backlighting, and media keys, are on Fn2, which is activated by holding down the key labeled CMD in this photo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

abraham linksys posted:

mini layouts are weird to me because I feel like everyone has some weird keys they rely on.

for example, I write JavaScript for my day job, which means I am constantly using backticks for strings. most compact keyboards eschew a backtick/tilde key or combine it with Esc. I'm actually getting that Keychron K6 which does this, but my plan is to rebind Esc as backtick and set up Caps Lock as a combined Ctrl (hold)/Esc (press). which, actually, I should double check to make sure Karabiner works with MacOS Catalina...

and that's still a mostly normal layout; when I see some of the mini layouts in here that cram every non-alphanumeric key into a separate layer, it hurts my brain. finally, the experience of using a weird touch screen keyboard layout, now in physical form!

~ and the fact that the K8 was launching soon was the reason I passed on the K6. Not being programmable sorta cancels out the convenience of bluetooth, but if you have all the keys you need then it's not a problem.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Yeah, I can see how that split backspace style could work. I personally have an issue with 1u Backspace due to having what I believe is technically called "stupid fingers".

Basically I just feel for the corner of the cluster when I need to hit backspace. Though this has had the side effect of making it hard to switch to my tada68 because I always end up hitting the backtick key when I need to backspace. So maybe this layout is giving me stupid fingers, I don't know.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
QMK has many advanced key press options that I am not sure are available in the online configuration. Things like Tap Dance let you have a key do multiple things, depending on how long it's pressed or how many times it's pressed. A common one is tap shift for "(" , hold for normal shift, which I guess a lot of programming nerds use.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nondescript Van posted:

QMK has many advanced key press options that I am not sure are available in the online configuration. Things like Tap Dance let you have a key do multiple things, depending on how long it's pressed or how many times it's pressed. A common one is tap shift for "(" , hold for normal shift, which I guess a lot of programming nerds use.

Online configurator has options for Quantum keys like tap dance. It's under the quantum tab. https://config.qmk.fm/

I just got an email fro Keychron about my K8 order. They've released a really nice palm rest for K8 backers only.
It looks pretty nice so I hopped on it because I am an absolute sucker for American Walnut.

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k8-walnut-wood-palm-rest-kickstarter-project-only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Razer just announced their 60% board. The Hunstman Mini