Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I vote:
- Untagged
- Solo VLP
- Group VLP
- Hybrid
- SSLP
- CYOA

I think the six is enough granularity. The untagged functions as the default and would be the equivalent to the "poo poo Post" tag... and presumably would apply to old tags.

VLPs are overwhelmingly predominant that I think it'a safe to differentiate betwee Solo and Group. SSLP is solo often enough that I argue there isn't enough of a demand to differentiate, especially as a Solo SSLP vs. Group SSLP are experienced largely the same as a reading experience as opposed to the differences inherent between solo or group VLPs. Hybrid, I hope, is self-explanatory. CYOA is common enough apart from SSLPs that they deserve their own, imo.

Though perhaps there could be enough granularity to add "Trad Game" for all board games and the like and a "Misc" for anything not fitting in a category.

Perhaps the "Untagged" cpuld just be a misc to cut down on tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe subtitles x voiced? Just a subtitled tag would be enough, I think - it fills in the rest of the blanks (i.e. that it's a solo VLP).

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh yeah? Just wait I until my co-commentator subbed LP next week.

I'm kidding, nobody wants to be in my LPs that's why I ended up talking to myself in one. Through subs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeesh, even I got someone to cocommentate with me through a neptunia lp of all things. Then again said cocommentator is a sicko who actually likes being financially dominated by anime girls so who knows what his real intentions were

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Finding a cocommentator is easy just be in a 12+ year long distance relationship with someone who loves video games but is too lazy to play them themselves I dont know why everyone says it's so hard

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Dash Rendar posted:

I vote:
- Untagged
- Solo VLP
- Group VLP
- Hybrid
- SSLP
- CYOA

I think the six is enough granularity. The untagged functions as the default and would be the equivalent to the "poo poo Post" tag... and presumably would apply to old tags.

VLPs are overwhelmingly predominant that I think it'a safe to differentiate betwee Solo and Group. SSLP is solo often enough that I argue there isn't enough of a demand to differentiate, especially as a Solo SSLP vs. Group SSLP are experienced largely the same as a reading experience as opposed to the differences inherent between solo or group VLPs. Hybrid, I hope, is self-explanatory. CYOA is common enough apart from SSLPs that they deserve their own, imo.

Though perhaps there could be enough granularity to add "Trad Game" for all board games and the like and a "Misc" for anything not fitting in a category.

Perhaps the "Untagged" cpuld just be a misc to cut down on tags.

Maybe add something for team LPs or succession LPs?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Literally everyone wants to be a co-commentator if they don't have to do any work.

One day I'll get off my rear end and do an EDF 4.1 round-robin LP where we get a huge line of expendables and if you die, you're dead for the rest of the LP and the next person in line moves in.

Except for me, I'm Storm 1.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what happens when you run out of co-commentators on Demon Army

e: or whatever mission where gold ants show up first

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 13, 2020

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hwurmp posted:

what happens when you run out of co-commentators on Demon Army

e: or whatever mission where gold ants show up first

The ants win :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

letting the giant insects take over the earth????

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Leal posted:

Yeesh, even I got someone to cocommentate with me through a neptunia lp of all things. Then again said cocommentator is a sicko who actually likes being financially dominated by anime girls so who knows what his real intentions were

Hey, it's a living.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So I've recorded some gameplay for a planned LP, and I'd like some feedback on things. Especially I'm worried about advancing the text too fast, because I read fast. I've done the thing where I read each line twice before advancing text, and also I wait for the text crawl to finish before I start reading the second time, but I'm still worried it could be a problem for slower readers. Also the usual video, sound, etc quibbles are welcome.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Looks hee to me, ho.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also, how would people feel about me editing in the Strange Journey demon bios into the video, considering this game is a prequel of sorts to SJ Redux?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I will allow it but only if you make them pop in with cool :krad: sci-fi aesthetics :colbert:

...I don't think it's a bad idea but it might be easier and less distracting to just put those in the thread.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tbat qod be nice but the game is fast paced enough and introduces new demons at a quick enough rate that itd mess with the videos pacing

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Redid/finished the intro post to my MekHQ AtB LP if anyone wants to take a look at it. Still looking for feedback on it, so please do give me some.

I'm working on a test update now. Should be up when it gets done (either by tomorrow afternoon or tomorrow night, at the earliest). Watch this space.

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 20, 2020

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

HereticMIND posted:

Redid/finished the intro post to my MekHQ AtB LP if anyone wants to take a look at it. Still looking for feedback on it, so please do give me some.

I'm working on a test update now. Should be up when it gets done (either by tomorrow afternoon or tomorrow night, at the earliest). Watch this space.

Speaking as someone with absolutely no Battletech knowledge, it looks good. Everything is clear and concise. You've got unambiguous rules up. You've got your Mechs linked so that people who know (and/or care) can make in-depth decisions about force composition. Everything looks solid.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

OddHaberdasher posted:

Speaking as someone with absolutely no Battletech knowledge, it looks good. Everything is clear and concise. You've got unambiguous rules up. You've got your Mechs linked so that people who know (and/or care) can make in-depth decisions about force composition. Everything looks solid.

Ok, great. This helps a lot. Thank you for giving me some feedback on this.

Posting part one of my test update for feedback. I'm aware that it's rushed, but I'm kinda chomping at the bit here to get more feedback.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
My opinion is that it looks good (also not a BattleTech person so that's of limited value). I think we're at the point where my advice is Just Post. Start before your ready, because you never really will be and we all learn as we go, etc.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Strategic Sage posted:

My opinion is that it looks good (also not a BattleTech person so that's of limited value). I think we're at the point where my advice is Just Post. Start before your ready, because you never really will be and we all learn as we go, etc.

Alright, then. Good to know.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
https://twitter.com/LiamODellUK/status/1288869766980042752?s=20

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Oh, gently caress that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That's loving stupid yet not surprising in the least.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

That's loving stupid yet not surprising in the least.

google dot tee eks tee
apple dot tee eks tee

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

quote:

Google on Friday announced YouTube’s Community Contributions feature, which allows viewers to add closed captioning and subtitles to videos, will be discontinued on September 28, 2020. The company cites two reasons behind the discontinuation of the feature: It’s not being widely used and is a regular source of spam and abuse.

According to Google, community contributions were featured in “less than 0.001% of channels” in the past month, covering than 0.2% of watch time. Creators are, for the most part, relying on alternative captioning tools for their videos.
https://www.xda-developers.com/youtube-kills-community-contributions-captions-subtitles/

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
0.001% of channels is still a lot of loving channels, and of course that's generally going to be skewed toward popular channels with the viewer base that will bother adding (and translating!) captions.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Hi LPers,

I was wondering how strict the 'videogame' requirement is for new threads being posted here: I'm interested in running a goon-democracy government sim game similar to this one which ran a few years back: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841702 . That one ran in The Game Room, which I cant help but feel had a negative effect on its participation rate since it's less well-traveled, and I think there would be a receptive mapgame/Paradox audience for this kind of game in the LP forum. Obviously, I would be doing all the backend work by myself and there's no videogame component, but I think that the flavor text and writing for former LPs like ByzLP and other mega-campaign LPs are the real core of their appeal anyway, not seeing Victoria 2 screenshots. Do you think it could go in the LP forum instead of The Game Room? Thanks!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah for sure

we arent strict here

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There was an LP of rock-paper-scissors a while back. Not an RPS video game, actual rock-paper-scissors. As long as there's a game you're playing, I think nobody'll mind.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There have even been LPs of game books here. As long as the audience can interact, or it's something you just wanna showcase, feel free.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can I LP an LP?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Leal posted:

Can I LP an LP?

That was pretty much what Retsupurae was.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Leal posted:

Can I LP an LP?

yes

Sally fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 13, 2020

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Wasnt there a goon who did a review of his own let's play, and then a review of that review, up to like four or five levels deep? He name is on the tip of my tongue but I cant find the videos, can anyone help?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Deformed Church posted:

Wasnt there a goon who did a review of his own let's play, and then a review of that review, up to like four or five levels deep? He name is on the tip of my tongue but I cant find the videos, can anyone help?

Cybershell. He did a retrospective of his equal parts famous and infamous Sonic the Hedgehog trilogy LP. He turned it into a joke that went deeper and deeper but he also briefly inspired a "talk about your own Let's Play history" string of replies before the thread dried up.

I'd actually wouldn't mind seeing more threads of that nature, if I'm being perfectly honest.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd actually wouldn't mind seeing more threads of that nature, if I'm being perfectly honest.

Shadows of the Empire Special Edition??? :mrgw:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

Shadows of the Empire Special Edition??? :mrgw:

Yeah, when you finally get around to making it :doom:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just as soon as I do the last dash thread update and we complete the killzones. SOTE SE 2044 baybeeeeee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sally posted:

Just as soon as I do the last dash thread update and we complete the killzones. SOTE SE 2044 baybeeeeee!
Yeaaah... that in-joke \ LP series \ whatever the gently caress apparently took over the forum, so I wouldn't mind an actual explanation.